Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

CNN in talks with Newt Gingrich, Stephanie Cutter for new 'Crossfire' show

Earlier this month, news broke that CNN was looking to relaunch Crossfire, the famous debate show that pitted two pundits -- one liberal, one conservative -- against one another on the political issues of the day.

Sources now tell POLITICO that the network is in discussions with former Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich and former Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter about roles on the show.

"They are talking to Cutter and to Gingrich," a source familiar with the discussions said. "[Cutter] is in discussions; Newt is in discussions too," another source confirmed.

Spokespeople with CNN did not respond to a request for comment regarding the news. Both Cutter and a Gingrich spokesperson did not respond to emails requesting confirmation.

Should the talks go through, it is unclear whether the former House Speaker and the former Obama campaign staffer would go head-to-head on a regular basis, or whether they would be part of a rotating cast of co-hosts.

TV Newser reported and POLITICO confirmed this month that CNN president Jeff Zucker was looking to revamp the show, which ran from 1982 to 2005 and features an evolving cast of partisan pundits, including Tom Braden, Michael Kinsley, Geraldine Ferraro, Bill Press and James Carville (on the left) and Pat Buchanan, Robert Novak, John Sununu, Lynne Cheney, and Mary Matalin (on the right).

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2013

No, No, No to Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

I agree R1, Gingrich is a pompous ass and completely irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

Gingrich is a repulsive fuckwad, and has no charisma. Jeff Zucker fail.

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

Hey, Newt needs some way to pay off the Tiffany bill.

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

Oh yeah, CNN's programming geniuses have a winner there.

Most people with a room temperature I.Q. would rather eat dirt than watch that fat creep bloviate.

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

I'm surprised CNN didn't get Alan Colmes to be on the show opposite Newt.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

They need to just give it up.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

No one is going to tune in to watch Gingrich on CNN. He's FNC material. He's not a legitimate commentator.

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

This network continues to go down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 904/24/2013

What R5 and R9 said. CNN is an absolute joke now. What happened? 20 years ago it was revered and respected.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2013

What a brilliant idea to revive ratings. Bring back a gimmicky tv format developed in the 1970s and give a failed politician one of the starring roles.

This should work out well for them.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2013

How about wrestling? A right winger and a left winger wrestle in the ring while Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson comment?

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

[quote] Bring back a gimmicky tv format developed in the 1970s and give a failed politician one of the starring roles.

They tried that a few years back. Remember Parker/Spitzer?

If they want a debate show, they should try a 'View' type show with only women debating from the left and right.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

They really haven't learned their lesson even after Jon Stewart told them why they went to shit.

Programming like "Crossfire" think that facts are up for debate.

by Anonymousreply 1404/24/2013

Is Cutter a lesbian? She's suspiciously, eternally single.

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

I was hoping Stephanie Cutter would come to MSNBC or NBC. She'll be wasted on CNN. CNN doesn't make any pundit look good. They encourages pundits to be outlandish for the soundbite.

by Anonymousreply 1604/24/2013

Hair by Calista.

by Anonymousreply 1704/24/2013

CNN is shit because it listened to the rantings of Fox News Channel and took that to heart by overcompensating with their compensating. CNN's new slogan might as well be Wolf Blitzer's "We'll have to leave it there."

by Anonymousreply 1804/24/2013

I liked the original Crossfire, but was beginning to burn out by the end. I agree with everyone who said "no" to Newt. I would not watch it if he were on.

by Anonymousreply 1904/24/2013

I love Stephanie Cutter, but she shouldn't do this.

by Anonymousreply 2004/24/2013

[R8] I don't think even FNC wants his fat ass.

And when you sign Newt, you are also signing his creepy Stepford wife who will invariably be allowed to flog whatever piece of crap "literature" she is foisting on the public.

by Anonymousreply 2104/24/2013

So now it's Newt, Stephanie Cutter, Van Jones and SE Cupp. HOw long before Newt tries to get a blow job from SE Cupp?

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

Gingrich needs to be cast in a reality show called "We're Sending Out Into the Brush With No supplies to Watch You Die a Slow Painful Death of Starvation, You Fucktwit." on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

Am I the only one who finds Stephanie Cutter kinda hot?

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

Stephanie Cutter has a horrible nasally voice that makes me want to change the channel even though I always agree with her. And Newt Gingrich is pretty much the antithesis of What People Want To Look At. Sounds like a nightmare - can't look at the screen, can't leave the sound on. Maybe they can create Smell-O-Vision just for this show and fill our living-rooms with Newt's farts on top of it.

I like The View idea, but only if it's all Stepford Republican wives - Pickles and Calista and at the center the terrifying and eternal CINDY. They can talk about prescriptions and cookie recipes.

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

S.E. Cupp will be leaving 'The Cycle' and MSNBC at the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

[quote]S.E. Cupp will be leaving 'The Cycle' and MSNBC at the end of the week.

I hope the door doesn't hit her or her ironic hipster glasses on the way out.

Of course, having lost her and Steve Kornacki, can the mojo of Toure and Krystal Ball keep The Cycle from becoming a colossal waste of time?

I mean, a BIGGER colossal waste of time?

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

I think Ari Melber was a nice addition and replacement for Steve. They should add Jonathan Capehart or Joy Reid to the panel, although Joy really deserves her own show. I can't think of a conservative female replacement currently on MSNBC to replace S.E., not that they really need one. Perhaps this is the end of the line for 'The Cycle'?

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

I assume that MSNBC will hire another republican.

Any ideas of who that could be?

Is Meghan McCain still working for them?

by Anonymousreply 2906/26/2013

[quote]Is Meghan McCain still working for them?

The vacuous following the vacuous.

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

Even my mother, a rabid Fox watcher, hates Newt Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

Female republicans do not like Gingrich.

Jeff zucker is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

I'm a guy BUT Cutter is hot and Newtie is so not. What is the show going to be called Beauty and the Beast!

by Anonymousreply 3306/26/2013

Gingrich is the definition of irrelevant and Cupp is a pain in the ass. I could tell Ari Melber totally despised her, she's getting out before he reaches over that table and slaps her hipster glasses off her smug face.

by Anonymousreply 3406/26/2013

Actually, R28, the Cycle is a great vehicle for trying up-and-coming talent to see how they mix with others and how they do on their own. I'll bet the show stays. I like Crystal and Toure is only annoying some of the time. Ari is a good addition. They could put on a Meghan McCain or whoever. I don't really keep up with the young rightwingers, but I hope it's someone less obnoxious than SE Cupp.

by Anonymousreply 3506/26/2013

Gawd, don't get Meghan McCain a platform, she's already too full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

She's also dumber than a box of hair.

If they can find a young Republican who's capable of holding a rational discussion who isn't a total idiot (there must be one somewhere in the country), they should get that person.

But they'll probably be compelled to replace SE with a woman. So it probably will Megan McCain.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

I can't stand Meghan McCain.

She seems very immature for her age.

Won't be watching any show with her on it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

[quote]She's also dumber than a box of hair.

True and she fancies herself as this "hip" GOP chick that the liberals just LUV. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

Perhaps they'll opt for someone like Abby Huntsman over Meghan McCain. That would be a bit more palatable.

by Anonymousreply 4006/27/2013

Who in their right mind wants to watch Newt? I can't even looking at him without dry heaving, let alone listen to the garbage he spews.

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013

Another failed show. Why does it seem like CNN is getting all of MSNBC's leftovers. It's still not going to save the network.

by Anonymousreply 4206/27/2013

R41 pretty much sums up this thread. Okay, okay guys - you want a conservative that you like, not somebody you loathe. Now, who exactly would that be?

No one speaks with more knowledge and objectivity on conservatism than Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 4306/27/2013

How about "America's Mayor" Giuliani?

CNN trot him out and shake off the cobwebs whenever they need to fill some airtime with idiotic sound bites.

by Anonymousreply 4406/27/2013

I don't watch daytime news/TV but I have read that The Cycle's rating is really low. I suspect SE Cupp has been looking for an escape route for a long time. Escape the low rating and from MSNBC. Pretty sure she's gotten some flack from her conservative friends for being on the network.

by Anonymousreply 4506/27/2013

SE Cupp started on CNN as a contributor before she took the job on The Cycle.

by Anonymousreply 4606/27/2013

SE Cupp was hosting the Cycle on MSNBC this afternoon and appeared inn CNN's Piers Morgan a few hours later pimping the show with the other Crossfire hosts, and wearing the same clothes.

Doesn't she have a non-compete clause?

by Anonymousreply 4706/27/2013

[quote]. They could put on a Meghan McCain or whoever.

Looks like we called the wrong failed candidate's daughter.

They hired Abby Huntsman.

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2013

Throw away political and personal conflicts; they aren't important to television programing.

Newt Gingrich is unpleasant to the eye. Any show in which he's featured is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!