Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

LA Dataloungers, you guys are so lucky

I've been in LA for the last 7 days on business. I love it here. The weather has been pleasant, lots of gorgeous eye candy, gay friendly and it's a really chill atmosphere. I had lunch at this place called Hamburger Mary's. Everyone was so friendly and nice, two really nice guys just started a conversation with me out of the blue and by the end of lunch they were inviting me over to their apartment for a party this weekend. I would go, if I weren't leaving on Friday. The next time a transfer possibility becomes available at work, I think I'm going to take it. I just feel happy here.

by Anonymousreply 6504/25/2013

OP, we are just fucking with you. Once you move here, no one will talk to you not without an agent.

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

Sadly, R1 is correct.

OP, I was you about 10 years ago. Thought I love the city so much each time I visited and decided to move there finally.

I was gone within 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

LA is a very dangerous city, there's a person killed every minute.

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

Visiting LA ain't the same as living there. If you're really that interested, take a few weeks and actually live there. You'll hate it in no time.

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

LA is like a handsome bipolar man on steroids. Will turn on you in a moment don't be fooled. They like outsiders who appear fuckable, wealthy or connected in some way: use or be used. I like you=I'll use you. I love it=fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

OP, how do you feel about spending 2-4 hours of every day in heavy traffic?

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

[quote]how do you feel about spending 2-4 hours of every day in heavy traffic?

2-4 hours?...Where are you going r7? move closer to work.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

I high tailed it as soon as I got a chance to move back to the Bay Area. I really did not like the driving or that people were always looking for what they could get out of you

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

[quote]that people were always looking for what they could get out of you

that is just a stereotype....unless you are in which case it is true...

by Anonymousreply 904/24/2013

OP, I'm with the others on here. LA is a wonderful place to visit once in a while but its negatives quickly wear on you when you live there. I would never move back.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2013

Oh LA-haters. Your absence makes everyone else's life so much better.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2013

oh i just happened to find this place called Hamburger Mary's ...right!

OP is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

OP, don't listen to any of the naysayers. I've been here thirty years and still love the place.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

OP, you sound like a naive Pollyanna. LA is a snake pit.

by Anonymousreply 1404/24/2013

I really don't know what to say. Are the people who are posting currently living in LA or are they the people who are still living here? I understand that my views may be skewed because I'm visiting rather than living here, but I like it. Oh and I'm not from Oklahoma, not sure where that came from. I'm also not sure why eating at a place called Hamburger Mary's makes me a troll. I was driving through the area and wanted a burger, saw a place called Hamburger Mary's and stopped, even though the place I liked the burger at the place in the train car better.

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

[quote]LA is a very dangerous city, there's a person killed every minute.

Let's do the math. 60 minutes per hour times 24 hours = 1440 people killed every day. With 365 days in a year that is 525,600 murders a year. Now THAT is a murder rate.

by Anonymousreply 1604/24/2013

Gees, OP, where are you from the Hamburger Mary's impresses you?

Even a provincial backwater like St. Louis has an HM.

by Anonymousreply 1704/24/2013

LA will bring out your inner pod person.

by Anonymousreply 1804/24/2013

Hamburger Mary's is a chain place.They have them in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1904/24/2013

Where did I say I was impressed, I wanted a burger and was in the neighborhood. The people there were nice.

by Anonymousreply 2004/24/2013

[quote] With 365 days in a year that is 525,600 murders a year.

In daylights, in sunsets, in murders, in cups of coffee. How do you measure, measure a year?

by Anonymousreply 2104/24/2013

I've lived in LA for 24 years, since I was 8 years old. Yeah we've got our problems like any other city, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Sure there are douchebags, but luckily, it's like the axiom suggests: birds of feather flock together. I am not in showbiz, I'm in the higher ed field and I have nice friends and coworkers, most of whom are also LA natives. I have a theory that it's really all the LA transplants that are giving Los Angeles a bad name. I can honestly say I've only been backstabbed/mistreated once here and that was by a guy originally from Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 2204/24/2013

l.a is the greatest city on earth .

by Anonymousreply 2304/24/2013

I'm from Boston, so I think hating LA is supposed to be embedded in my dna. But, the thing is, I LOVED it when I visited. I thought the people were pleasant, the weather glorious. I was visiting a friend -- also from Boston -- who hated it, and couldn't wait to move. She said that no one would talk to her when they found out she was just a stay at home mom. People weren't even subtle about it. She also said that people would make plans with you all the time, then never follow-through. True, most of the people she met were showbiz people -- her uncle is a VERY famous director, and she lived around the corner from him and spent a lot of time at his place -- but she hated it. Me? I'd love to spend a year there then move away.

by Anonymousreply 2404/24/2013

I don't know, OP. Even Samantha Jones couldn't hack living in LA. She took the bitch and left me and Gilles Marini's big dick right here on the beach!

by Anonymousreply 2504/24/2013

hamburger mary's is a hilarious name

by Anonymousreply 2604/24/2013

Here's Chloe Sevigny doing a dead on impression of people who move to LA and can't hack it.

Seriously, no one's gonna miss you when you leave.

by Anonymousreply 2704/24/2013

[quote]She also said that people would make plans with you all the time, then never follow-through.

That is one of the most paramount (no pun intended) qualities of the "Hollywood Type."

Those who stay in it long enough genuinely think the world revolves around them, even if they swear otherwise. I have lots of kin who work in Hollywood, and I know what to expect every time we're in the same geographical area: they'll insist we get together...even more forcefully if I say "maybe we should save it for next time," then I'll make time to do it (sometimes despite huge inconveniences), then they'll change the time and/or place--sometimes multiple times--before totally canceling due to a vague thing that sounds like a reason. And none of them feel or express that they've inconvenienced, insulted, or annoyed anyone in the process.

by Anonymousreply 2804/24/2013

I really wish everyone who hated LA would get the fuck out. It would make it so much nicer for those of us who love it. OP, ignore the negative nellies. Life really is what you make it. They make it about them and seeing through their depressed, sad blinders. So of course that skews their perception.

by Anonymousreply 2904/24/2013

[quote]Everyone was so friendly and nice, two really nice guys just started a conversation with me out of the blue and by the end of lunch they were inviting me over to their apartment for a party this weekend

That's just called having a nice day. You know? When people you meet seem to like you and you like the people you meet.

[quote]they were inviting me over to their apartment for a party this weekend

In LA this means following directions that look like a shopping list. Before you even get there you'll decide you're never going back.

(& they probably won't be so friendly, the next time, when they realize you have nothing to offer them).

by Anonymousreply 3004/24/2013

East coast is much better. Unless you are in Northern CA, and that depends on how much money you have.

by Anonymousreply 3204/24/2013

Woah, R28 and R30, etc. Touchy. Just like other places, there is plenty of negative material about LA on which to elaborate, compare and share. This is (apparently) a discussion about perceptions of Los Angeles and/or the types of inhabitants and cultures we meet there and from there. It doesn't make anyone "not good enough" or a miserable person (hey...LA actually has a lot of those...ones who are wealthy, even...).

Even if all people who hate a city were to leave it, those remaining would turn against each other and create new barriers. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3304/24/2013

OP: I moved to LA under a very similar introduction. My first time here was on business and I fell in love with it immediately. Made several follow up trips (personal and business) and moved here w/in a little over a year. As you have probably heard before, you either love it here or hate it.

I'm former east coast and while I liked it there, I like living in LA much more.

by Anonymousreply 3404/24/2013

[quote]She also said that people would make plans with you all the time, then never follow-through.

^^^THIS^^^ And it's not just specific to LA, either--I lived in San Diego for a few years and experienced the same goddamn flake factor there. It's as if people's mouths aren't connected to their brains in Southern California...they'll say one thing but do the opposite. "Oh we should totally hang out!!!" means, "If I ever see you again I'm going to pretend I don't see you." It's fucking maddening and it eventually drove me the fuck out of that God-forsaken place. SoCal is beautiful on a postcard, but man...the people sure fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 3504/24/2013

It's a California thing. I lived in LA and thought flakiness was an LA thing... then I moved to the SF Bay area and they're just as flaky up here.

by Anonymousreply 3604/24/2013

When it comes to invitations in LA: Yes means maybe, maybe means no and no means I hate your ugly mug and never want to see you again.

by Anonymousreply 3704/24/2013

I honestly have no idea what you people are talking about. R30 is absolutely correct.

And what's up with people like R31 - "ran away from L.A. - TWICE"?

And that is our problem why?

by Anonymousreply 3804/24/2013

I can see why East Coaster perceive L.A. as "flaky" or too laidback. My initial reaction to several east coast/New England towns when I first visited was uptight, provincial and unnecessarily rude.

by Anonymousreply 3904/24/2013

Stereotypical thin-skinned, assuming, and self-absorbed residents of L.A.

Proof that the stereotype is not baseless.

by Anonymousreply 4004/24/2013

Born and raised in LA. They are really are some of the best people and I can't wait to move back there once I am done with school. I know the stereotypes people have about LA, but that has not been my experience at all. It's one of the friendliest places... that is, if you are a friendly person yourself. Assholes typically aren't happy living in LA but luckily the majority of them aren't native to LA and quickly move away after a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 4104/24/2013

Why is it the city's fault if you couldn't make it there?

by Anonymousreply 4204/24/2013

Every place has got its fair share of assholes. I think if you move to LA and you constantly find yourself being surrounded by assholes, then that has a lot more to do with who you are then it does the city.

Born and raised in LA too and it seems like every new friend I make has moved here from out of state. It seems like there are very few natives around, so we must be doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 4304/24/2013

From the Chicago area originally here:

A classmate from high school moved there many years ago, and loves it, stayed, and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Meanwhile, several family members moved there, and moved back, didn't like it.

Hard to say why some like it and others don't. It never really appealed to me in terms of the car culture. Also not overtly gay like SF, so what would be the point? Lots of closeted penis just about any other place.

by Anonymousreply 4404/24/2013

R42 People can be friendly in LA but they can be really shallow as well. So many folks are obsessed with the film industry as well.Northeasterners can be rude(especially Bostonians)but I would say you know where you stand with them. They are more direct and less much happy dickish. I've had some good times out in LA so it's not that bad.San Francisco is better on an intellectual,sexual and architectural level though...

by Anonymousreply 4504/24/2013

What I find interesting is how many East Coast people up and move to LA. Literally tons. But the reverse is not true: I've never met native Angelenos with a desire to live on the East.

by Anonymousreply 4604/24/2013

[quote]I think if you move to LA and you constantly find yourself being surrounded by assholes, then that has a lot more to do with who you are then it does the city.

Really? Because I ran into flakes left and right in CA when trying to conduct business as well. I didn't choose to surround myself with those people--they just came with the territory. How anything ever gets done in CA is beyond me. It seemed like no one ever wanted to work.

by Anonymousreply 4704/24/2013

R41 is typical stereotypical asshole. No wonder no one liked him out west.

by Anonymousreply 4804/24/2013

The people in this thread bashing LA really do sound like unpleasant people, so it's no surprise they didn't fit in. Like I previously stated, assholes don't do well in LA.

by Anonymousreply 4904/24/2013

I find people that bitch about the flakiness and shallowness of people from CA (specifically LA) are really just people who don't travel much. If they had, they'd realize all the shit they're bitching about is found EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 5004/24/2013

Well how do we realize the difference, R51?

by Anonymousreply 5104/24/2013

R49, This is what I mean by "assuming." Not everyone is a stereotype, but this one exists for a reason. I didn't try to live West, though I've been there with my family (in the tv-film industry, each member of which has at least somewhat adopted that stereotype) extensively (I still love them). And actually, I made it work with their friends--by walking on eggshells and being aloof-ish. If L.A. folk are industry at all, you must assume that they are desperate to only reflect about themselves. I don't know who would argue with that.

But my main point was that L.A. residents on DL, upon seeing a post in which someone didn't like L.A. or the people they met, start HISSING, "Then getthefuckout!!!!!!!!" or, "WE DON'T WANT YOUR UGLY STUPID FACE IN OUR CITY, ASSHOLE!!!!!!". These seem to be very much responses of Angelenos and not many other representatives of their respective cities.

And that is what I mean by thin-skinned.

It's also what I've observed of many L.A. folk, though my experience is mostly with, again, film and tv people: they CAN be nice and friendly. Until something doesn't go their way or they hear something they don't want to hear. Then be prepared to have their childish rage taken out on you.

P.S. Overall, I like L.A.

by Anonymousreply 5204/24/2013

R52 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5304/24/2013

[quote]even though the place I liked the burger at the place in the train car better.

That place on Sunset Blvd. or the Formosa Cafe?

by Anonymousreply 5404/24/2013

Answer my question, R54. How would we know that people in LA are flakey if we don't know any different?

by Anonymousreply 5504/24/2013

L.A. could have been the most beautiful city in the world, what with beaches and high mountains. Instead it's Detroit by the Sea.

by Anonymousreply 5604/24/2013

What about Santa Barbara? I am little older, 48 so there is no way I would live in LA. I do love the SoCal weather and laid back vibe. The landscape around SB is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5704/24/2013

If I had all the money in the world, I'd probably live in Santa Barbara (or Marin). Beautiful landscape, sea and mountains, all the amenities of a major city without the crowding or ugliness.

Sadly, it does take all the money in the world to live there.

by Anonymousreply 5804/24/2013

r40,which East coast/New England towns did you visit?

by Anonymousreply 5904/24/2013

I used to visit Santa Barbara a lot. What is going on there though? The last time I was on State Street it was like a Ghost Town. So many shops and restaurants had closed down. How is it now?

by Anonymousreply 6004/24/2013

R47, LA is my adopted hometown, having lived there from age 9 to 32 (3 years overseas) and I live in the DC area now. So does another LA friend and she has zero desire to move back. I've been away for about 9 years now and over time I have slowly admitted to myself that I prefer living on the east coast. It's not black and white. There are cons and pros to both LA and DC but for me, having lived without a car for nine years, the thought of jumping back into the car culture of LA always deters the pangs of homesickness.

It seems like a lot of the comments here revolve around the movie business side of LA. If you grew up east of La Brea like I did, worked mostly in downtown LA and Boyle Heights, there's a whole other side of LA.

by Anonymousreply 6104/24/2013

L.A. is a good city to live in if you make alot of money. If you don't, then don't bother moving. It's a city suited best for the rich and upper-middle class.

by Anonymousreply 6204/24/2013

That's not true r73. LA is not NYC. You can live comfortably, in a nice place without making a ton of money. You may need a roommate, but what you said is not correct.

by Anonymousreply 6304/24/2013

I love Santa Barbara, but watch out for that Minx Lockridge. She's a pistol.

by Anonymousreply 6404/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!