Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is a linoleum?

Is it a type of floor? I heard the term being used in conversation today.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

OP, They are made in France and are very expensive. I have always wanted one.

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

I believe it's the same as an Antimacassar

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

highly refined flooring material by atisans with inlayed design and motiff. we should all hope to have it in our kitchens.

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

OP, you're kidding right?

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

I think it is a new type of condom

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

Are there mastiffs in the motiff?

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

Linoleum is mined in The Big Mountains, in the hallowed Itznotyerzitz Mine.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

The punchline to "What's your flow like?".

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

It is a flooring material that was very common esp. in kitchens before all the new no-wax flooring types. It was used mostly in kitchens. I hated it at the time because it seemed very dull. It is actually more environmentallly friendly as it is made from vegetable oils and burlap( I think...not sure about that). Therefore, it is making a something of a comeback. I like it now. It is supposedly now made in Holland.

by Anonymousreply 904/24/2013

Why would one walk on non natural flooring. We prefer wood, granite and marble.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2013

R9, that's Marmoleum, I think.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2013

R10 it is natural, made from linseed oil.

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

It does have one huge advantage over no-wax flooring, the colors can be wonderfully bright and you can do things with patterns that would be impossible with modern floor coverings.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

I can only dream about having linoleum in my house. Tres chic!!!

by Anonymousreply 1404/24/2013

Wikipedia is your friend.

Lino is still being made today. It is indeed made from natural materials:Linseed oil, sawdust and burlap.

The color goes right through it, unlike the new flooring materials.It will last and last and last, as a result. When I sold my parents house, it had the original lino flooring in the kitchen some 40+ years later. It still looked good. The real estate agent who sold them the house said it would last a lifetime. It sure did!

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

I'll never forget my first visit to The Linoleum.

I was to contend with Biggus Dickus. I'd trained non-stop for this occasion. If I failed, I would be exiled to a small island in Germany.

When I entered the ring, he was standing there all sweaty wearing only a shower cap. I jumped into the ring! The dance off began!

by Anonymousreply 1604/24/2013

This has been a funny thread. But I'll share truth.

Linoleum off-gases toxins after installation. It's just about the cheapest flooring you can get, and therefore common in rentals and people trying to make cheap changes to sell their homes. It's true you might be able to find "cute designs".

Marmoleum is similar but less toxic. It costs more.

Then there's laminate, which is real wood, but only a very thin layer of it. This costs more than linoleum and off-gases less, but doesn't look as good as a hard wood floor (which costs quite a bit more).

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

r17, you're thinking of Vinyl flooring.

Vinyl replaced linoleum in most houses, but people still call it linoleum.

Vinyl flooring = plastic (petroleum based)

Linoleum = linseed oil.. It's about the greenest flooring you can buy.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

It always baffles me to see a question like this posted in a message board.

You clearly are on-line. You have access to Google. Are you suffering from some kind of mental challenge?

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

Charlie, what are you doin' up there? I'm layin' Linoleum. Well say hello to her for me.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

The Travis section of Staten Island was originally called Linoleumville, named for the first US plant manufacturing the floor covering.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

linoleum after it gets old needs floor wax.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

The fact that OP could even spell it says this thread is b/s

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

Op, in your day, it was what you called, oil cloth.

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

It looks dismal unless waxed and buffed. It is amazing how nice a 50-year old floor can look after maintenance, but it requires horrible chemicals to strip the wax followed up by a new wax coating which needs to dry, followed by buffing. In my hospital they do it overnight, whole portions of corridors are sectioned off while the staff works on it. I know of at least two people in the hospital who wind up checking into the ER for a few hours because their asthma or migraines get exacerbated When the census is low enough, patients are moved from their rooms temporarily into one section of the unit while the floors on other half are being worked on. Then, moved back when it is done.

Seems like a lot of work. Stone is probably easier to maintain.

by Anonymousreply 2504/25/2013

We just bought a country house about 2 hours out of NYC. It hadn't been lived in for several years and needs a lot of work - there was a really charming linoleum floor underneath carpeting in the kitchen but it was beyond renovation.

There aren't a lot of fun options out there anymore. I wanted to find something retro with a feel similar to my parent's house but it was nearly impossible to find it. What is out there almost seems more expensive than the wood we went with. That surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 2604/25/2013

R26, you have carpet in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 2704/25/2013

Oh, silly r19.

This is one of those threads where OP didn't really want a definition of the thing, but really just wanted to see what kooky answers Datalounge could return.

It's all about our witty conversations.

by Anonymousreply 2804/25/2013

R19, lemme guess, at parties you have your face in your iPhone because why the hell have a conversation with someone when all that crap can be found out online?

by Anonymousreply 2904/25/2013

It is true that lino looks better, much better, waxed. I didn't mind the look of it unwaxed as it was similiar to a matt finish. That would not be to everyones taste, however. Mom always waxed the floor. I didn't.

The wood laminate floors that I have dealt with are not worth the money, imo. Better to save and then get something worth spending money on that will last longer, wear better and look so much better,too.

Do a search for companies still selling lino. They are out there.

by Anonymousreply 3004/25/2013

R26 here - we did have carpet in the kitchen. I'm not sure why. It's the first thing we ripped out. We got lucky and were able to install hardwood for $2.50 a square foot. So much better now.

by Anonymousreply 3104/25/2013

Around here a lot of landlords carpet the kitchens, especially in low end units. Carpet is cheaper to install, and in an old house you probably need to repair the subfloor or put down underlayment before doing vinyl--carpet hides all sorts of floor problems.

They just replace it every time the unit is vacant.

by Anonymousreply 3204/25/2013

So much Ewwwww! at the idea of carpet in a kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 3304/25/2013

What is Linoleum? Ugly.

by Anonymousreply 3404/25/2013

Buddy Love: If you don't mind, I have a date at the alumni ball, and you have a date with linoleum.

Sherman Klump: Who?

by Anonymousreply 3504/25/2013

Everything linoleum can do cork can do better.

Cork is the King of floor coverings.

by Anonymousreply 3604/25/2013

When first invented, linoleum was very expensive and fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 3704/25/2013

No wax flooring put a crimp in the sale of linoleum. I think of the first no wax floors was marketed under the name Shinyl Vinyl

by Anonymousreply 3804/25/2013

R28 I know, I just couldn't resist telling a stranger on the internet that I thought (s)he was stupid.

R29 Well, if your idea of a party is people standing around and asking one another questions about objective general knowledge (What is linoleum? What is petroleum? What is mausoleum? What is perineum?), then you might actually consider leaving your house and talking to real people. Because that's not what happens.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!