Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Poverty is the only social disease a person can fix on their own. Why do they insist on making their plight my problem?

by Anonymousreply 5304/24/2013

Poverty is not a social disease, but hating people who are lss fortunate than yourself makes you a sociopath, which is a form of mental illness. Sadly there is no cure for people lie you.

by Anonymousreply 104/23/2013

I'm guessing you're as lonely and miserable as you deserve, OP.

by Anonymousreply 204/23/2013

You realize, OP, that a lot of people with higher educations and decent jobs are still poor or just cover their bills, right?

by Anonymousreply 304/23/2013

You need to read some Barbara Ehrenreich, OP. [italic]Nickel and Dimed On (Not) Getting By in America[/italic] would be a great place to start.

[quote]“But the economic meltdown should have undone, once and for all, the idea of poverty as a personal shortcoming or dysfunctional state of mind. The lines at unemployment offices and churches offering free food includes strivers as well as slackers, habitual optimists as well as the chronically depressed. When and if the economy recovers we can never allow ourselves to forget how widespread our vulnerability is, how easy it is to spiral down toward destitution.”

[quote]“When someone works for less pay than she can live on — when, for example, she goes hungry so that you can eat more cheaply and conveniently — then she has made a great sacrifice for you, she has made you a gift of some part of her abilities, her health, and her life. The 'working poor,' as they are approvingly termed, are in fact the major philanthropists of our society. They neglect their own children so that the children of others will be cared for; they live in substandard housing so that other homes will be shiny and perfect; they endure privation so that inflation will be low and stock prices high. To be a member of the working poor is to be an anonymous donor, a nameless benefactor, to everyone else.”

[quote]“What you don't necessarily realize when you start selling your time by the hour is that what you're really selling is your life.”

by Anonymousreply 404/23/2013

When the rich think about the poor, they have poor ideas.

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

OP, how do think the rich become rich?

The Walton Family (owners of Wal-Mart) have a combined wealth of $115 billion, while the starting salary for their employees is $8 an hour with no benefits.

Figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

Fuck you OP! And go die in a grease fire!

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

OP, Rafalca would like to fertilize your garden.

Hopefully while you are lying down in it with your mouth open.

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

OP is Tag Romney, just doing what a Romney does.

by Anonymousreply 904/23/2013

Gee, I wonder if the OP is a Republican. Hmmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

I like the way you think, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

Then you must hate most of the elder people in America, OP. They spent their youth building up America, and many are now abandoned, lonely and even hungry. They have more doctor, dental and grocery bills, (special foods), than when they were younger. Usually, around the third week of the month, their Social Security monies run out, and they have to go to soup kitchens, or go hungry.

They suffer from lack of companionship.

by Anonymousreply 1304/23/2013

OP = Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 1404/23/2013

Op= Karen Walker paraphrasing Miss Hannigan. (Why would anyone choose to be an orphan?)

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

Have another drink dear.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

OP = Ronald Reagan

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013

I hope that the OP dies a slow agonizing death

by Anonymousreply 1804/23/2013

OP--I may be poor (and I am!), but I would never embarrass myself by making the mistakes in grammar that you made. I learned that "a person" does not agree with "their" or "they" in my sixth grade public school classroom.

by Anonymousreply 1904/23/2013

OP, don't mind these peasants. They were Vitamin D deprived in their poor mothers' wombs.

Now don't forget about the party Sat night. Parker, Babs and Imogene will be attending so dress smart. There'll be oodles of champagne and coifs des mengeres on the yacht, so arrive suitably famished!

Love you, my Prince! Don't forget, Apple goes up 15% tomorrow, Daddy arranged it. Hope you got in!

Kisses---Cheryl & Co.

by Anonymousreply 2004/23/2013

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

- John Donne

by Anonymousreply 2104/23/2013

OP's just envious because it thinks the poor have only to snap their fingers and *pouf!* their poverty is cured, while OP's stupidity and insensitivity is clearly incurable.

by Anonymousreply 2204/23/2013

Poverty is indeed a disease of societies. So is OP, whose pathological hatred of others is probably itself why poverty cannot be eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

OP, instead of ripping you a new one, which would be my natural reaction and quite easy to do, I have decided to show you a kinder, more reasonable way to express yourself without engendering the sort of response you have (deservedly) received. Had you framed your question differently, say... "Why I feel resentment towards the poor"

Using the word HATE in conjunction with any group of people is a a giant red flag which reeks of your lack of empathy. You further compound your lack of compassion by selecting humans who are extremely disadvantaged whether it be by "the system" or by their own flawed choices. Use your energy towards improving someone's life and you will be amazed at how many fewer times you feel the need to use the word HATE.

by Anonymousreply 2404/24/2013

Just remember, honey: they're the ones most likely to buy your new cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 2504/24/2013

Op is poor, and self hating.

by Anonymousreply 2604/24/2013

OP = typical moronic ignorant republican swine.

by Anonymousreply 2804/24/2013

I LOVE me some OP!

C'mere chile, sit next to me. This champagne is to die for!

by Anonymousreply 2904/24/2013

R30 supports a 100% estate tax as well.

by Anonymousreply 3104/24/2013

OP is the stupidest and most ignorant bitch on DL. Do us a favour: quit your job; give away all your possessions an money. Then go start out at the bottom with nothing. And you're not allowed to us your connections. An pretend you have no family. Develop a drug habit, that'd be good. And pretend you have zero education. And change your race. Pretend you aren't white Okay, now let's see you get back on your feet.

I'm willing to bet both my lungs that you'd kill yourself before the end of the first day, you clueless little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3204/24/2013

No, fuck that bullshit R30. Everyone deserves help. And guess what? Someone, somewhere on this planet thinks YOU are the chaff and that YOU are unworthy. Of course they are wrong, in the same way your fat, judgmental ass is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3304/24/2013

I think R30 is less than chaff. Chaff snorts in derision at R30.

by Anonymousreply 3404/24/2013

You have to credit OP Barbara Bush: even at this late stage, she's still exercising her beautiful mind on the topic. It's not however working out well for her.

by Anonymousreply 3504/24/2013

fact: if there were no poor people, who would do all the menial tasks that make your life as a privileged person possible? Since there have to be poor people, there will always be poor people, notwithstanding that - NEWSLFASH - OP, some poor people do get out of poverty - do you hate those lucky few who enter the shrinking middle class (or higher) only while they remain poor, or do you suddenly love and admire them when they decide to pull themselves up by their bootstrings. Fact: not everyone can do that. Assuming that everyone can do that is to believe that the world economy as it is survive - if you can call it that - without millions of very poor people.

It doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 3604/24/2013

When the revolution comes, we'll kill OP first.

by Anonymousreply 3704/24/2013

Too bad the OP wasn't in charge when the financial crisis hit.

The entire one percent is nothing but a welfare class. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 3804/24/2013

R4 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 3904/24/2013

I really wonder if hatred of the poor -- which is real -- stems from a person's utter frustration/guilt from not being able to 'fix' their (the poor's) problems? I hope the OP was posting facetiously . . .

by Anonymousreply 4004/24/2013

Well OP... we hate you right back you entitled fucktard trash.

by Anonymousreply 4204/24/2013

R41 is the reason I hate the online world.

by Anonymousreply 4304/24/2013

It's a tad more complicated than that OP- but you don't seem like the kind of person worth explaining it for. I think you are a provocateur or at least a troll.

by Anonymousreply 4404/24/2013

No R41 / R43 you are not the "whole online world". You are merely one douche nozzle that inhabits it.

by Anonymousreply 4604/24/2013

[quote]You hate the online world because I told the truth here?

no, I hate that the online world can allow free reign to losers like you would purport to tell the truth, yet lie for their own devices.

by Anonymousreply 4704/24/2013

R41 ia one and the same with the OP. Dumber than a rock or just a provocateur.

by Anonymousreply 4804/24/2013

I don't mind the poor, it's the beggars I abhor.

by Anonymousreply 4904/24/2013

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill the poor...

by Anonymousreply 5004/24/2013

[quote] There is no Santa Clause, either

oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5104/24/2013

I hate the arrogant, rights-bearing rich who want to define who the rest of most of us are, so maybe it works out.

R-1, your mother is barking for you.

by Anonymousreply 5304/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!