Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cats don't grow

My 2 exotic shorthair cats don't seem to grow properly. They are 6 and 10 month old and weigh both about 2 kg ever since we got them. We have the older one for 4 month and the younger for 2. They are not castrated and only eat dry food.Should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

Wet food is better than dry food.

by Anonymousreply 104/23/2013

Cats are still considered in kittenhood til about age 3. My undersized little girl (whom I found as a kitten in the summer of 2011) just had a growth spurt that made her about the size of my 5 yr. old male. They're both all-grey and now I have trouble telling them apart.

by Anonymousreply 204/23/2013

But they don't like the wet food.

by Anonymousreply 304/23/2013

Better neuter before you have Pee City.

by Anonymousreply 404/23/2013

Have you tried feeding your cats raw meat, OP?

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

We tried raw meat and fish. Only the younger one tried it. But the younger is also kind of fat just very small. The older one didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

I wouldn't worry too much, OP. Dry, raw or wet, if they're eating, they'll grow. My current cat is the first cat I ever had. I didn't know as much as I do now and I fed him dry food. He's now almost 12 but is a big-sized cat.

What you do need to do is get your kitties neutered/spayed.

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

I feed mine (as a treat from their regular One* brand dry food) this product from Walmart. It's packets of Special Kitty wet food with names like Alaskan King Crab, etc. They hated the cheap canned and dry food from the same brand, but practically lick the bowls from those packets.

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

That can't be further from the truth r9. My cat was neuter when he was 5 mos. old. The shelter neutered him (and every cat/dog) that leaves the shelter. I didn't know then, but he kept growing until well after 2 years old. He's not a Maine Coon, but is a huge tabby that looks like a MC. He's now a healthy 17lb cat. It took him 2 full years to be at his current size and weight.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2013

Come down, Frau. Breeder said it's ok to wait since they are girls. As I said earlier they are quite small and immature. I don't think they were in heat yet. So I think it's ok to wait.

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

Have you asked your breeder why your kittens aren't growing? Kittens from 0-12 months undergo a tremendous growth period. Never mind dry or canned food, you could feed them a plate of shit every day and they should still be growing.**

Is your breeder reputable? If it's a matter of bad breeding, a good breeder would step forward and take responsibility.

Have you checked with your vet? Do the cats have worms?

**I'm kidding a bit there...canned food is important for cats of all ages, but is essential to help kittens grow. Up to about year old, you pretty much let them eat as much as they want. As they reach adulthood, you reverse the policy and monitor their food intake--keeping indoor cats slim and trim is vital. I do not ever free-feed. My cats are fed twice a day with canned food and get snack of dry food inbetween the 2 meals.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

OP, I just reread your first post. Why are you feeding your kittens only dry food?

by Anonymousreply 1404/24/2013

What breed of cat OP? Some are definitely smaller than others and can take over 2 years to fully grow.

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

Don't worry OP. My delightful kitty Nas is 13 1/2 years old and weighs 4 lbs. Everyone thinks she is a 2 year old cat. She loves to eat both kibble and wet food, but she grazes as opposes to wolfing down a lot in one sitting. My vet has assured me that her svelte physique is most likely going to allow her to live another 3-4 years! Damn I hope so. She WAS the "runt" of the litter, so it's probably a genetic thing.

My late kitty Pete was 20 lbs and lived only to 12. I miss him to this day.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

An animal expert (on TV) one time said cats do not feel satiated with dry food and should be fed a little wet food as well.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

Don't be worried. Nothing lasts forever. You can get better cats next time.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

Shall I neuter them or not? They are girls and stay indoor. I don't think they were in heat yet.

As I said before they are exotic shorthair cats and don't eat wet food. I think I will try to feed them different types of raw meat though.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

In my experience they reach an adolescent size at about 7 months and then have a final growth spurt at about the time they turn 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

OP as to neuter or not neuter a strictly indoor cat the experts all say yes, neuter. But for the first time I chose NOT to neuter my female. Think about how a woman ages: gets think, slow, and lazy around the time of menopause. They lose their cuteness.

My 13 1/2 year old svelte kitty I mentioned previously is a frisky and energetic as a 10 years younger cat.

The most important factor in making your decision is can you bear 4-5 sessions of heat per year? It no longer bothers me a bit, but it was a little annoying the first full year. And although they cannot bear kittens past @10, the heat sessions continue. They are much shorter though and the wailing to Tomcats in the neighborhood has almost stopped.

Weigh your options....you'll make the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 2104/27/2013

Actually I plan to neuter my cats. I'm just not sure if it is not to early for them. But I don't want to take the risk that they go into "non stop heat".

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2013

[quote]And although they cannot bear kittens past @10, the heat sessions continue.

False. they can have kittens as long as heat continues though frequent kittenning wears the body down and shortens life expectancy, female cats can have kittens as long as they live.

by Anonymousreply 2304/27/2013

My cat, who lived to be 17, weighed only four pounds fully grown and her weight never fluctuated by more than an ounce.

She was was healthy,smart,energetic,and always playful.

Don't worry about their weight, OP, as long as they are healthy.

by Anonymousreply 2404/27/2013

The nice thing about really small cats is that when they die, they can be flushed down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2013

Ok, the 10 month old is in heat now. Lord have mercy. But no pee city yet.

by Anonymousreply 2605/04/2013

[R23] My vet says the odds of a 10 year old female in heat becoming pregnant are about 1 out of 10.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013

OP, female cats are spayed. Male cats are neutered.

Anyway, I now regret having my strictly indoor boy neutered. He's developed bladder problems and he's not even 2 years old.

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

You need to take him to the vet quarterly to have the built up crystals flushed from his urinary tract. My neutered male had to be rushed to the all night emergency vet when he was unable to pass urine. Eventually I took him to the vet school at UGA for surgery to widen his urethra and he was fine after that.

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

English is not my first language as you may have noticed. In my country we just say castrate for both genders.

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2013

You could try giving them...away. Set them free, I have a feeling they will leave you. You could also wait for them to die. Slower, but effective.

You are also an as asshole for not fixing your cat. Go to the fucking vet, ask about the goddamn weight & get them spayed.

by Anonymousreply 3105/04/2013

Not growing and maturing (going into heat) can be a sign of FIP.

I lost my female cat to FIP in January at 16 months old.

Devastating.

by Anonymousreply 3205/04/2013

I went to the vet already. He said she is healthy and I shouldn't worry. He also said dry food is ok. And yes r31 I will get her spayed after the heat is over. Like normal people would.

by Anonymousreply 3305/04/2013

r29 - He doesn't have crystals (or hardly any). He was in some pain, so I took him in and he had blood in his urine. No clear diagnosis - the vet just says he has an "unhappy bladder." Apparently, that's a cat thing. He's on a special diet now which seems to be helping.

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.