Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why does it take 2 business days to First Class Mail something from FL to CA

but it takes six business days to send it by UPS Ground, and UPS Ground is more expensive?

I honestly want to know.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

Because the USPS is really efficient with handling small packages.

by Anonymousreply 104/23/2013

USPS is actually pretty amazing. They don't get near the accolades they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 204/23/2013

Plus, (for now) they will still deliver it on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 304/23/2013

I prefer to use the USPS and I hate it they often get a bad rap.

Perfect -- golly no.

Often "as good as" and often a better price.

Deserve respect. Proud tradition.

by Anonymousreply 404/23/2013

Yep, I love USPS too.

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

Same size package and everything? Why do so many companies choose UPS for shipping over USPS? I'm reminded of a golf club I ordered from a suburban Chicago company. It was to be mailed to another Chicago suburb, but somehow wound up in New Jersey. I got it three days late and just in time to take to a birthday party as a present.

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

UPS and FedEx actually move packages much faster than they say. I've had tons of 3-day packages delivered next day, but ground packages are always held until the due date. The packages are bundled and palletized, then sent to the various distribution points, then separated for individual delivery. It really is incomprehensible why they hold packages when they're just sitting there waiting.

Nevertheless, think about the USPS and the awesome job of delivering to every address, coast-to-coast, for as little as 46 cents, all while providing good, middle class jobs, secure retirement, benefits, and dignity for the country's second-largest employer (the only larger employer is Wal-mart, and we all know what a joke their benefits package is -- as in "you're just lucky to have a job!").

The only reason the post office is in such a mess is that the Congress, in the 2006 lame-duck session as the Pubbies were voted out of the majority, mandated that the post office fund retirement packages 75 years in advance... That's right, they have to pay for retirement for employees who aren't even born yet.

And by the way, the Pubbies have mandated that the post office not cease Saturday deliveries, so that is one less worry. Now if we can just get them to keep their filthy hands off the post office, it might just continue to perform its Constitutionally-mandated job. Where's their outrage over the Constitution and this one? Hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

R7, I had a package wait in a FedEx center in my area for an entire extra day because it wasn't the official delivery day. FedEx can go fuck sheep.

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

Hit or Miss. Ive had numerous problems with USPS as of late.

With first class mail, it's really luck of the draw. Sure, they can get something across the country in 2 days, but there's no guarantee that's gonna happen. It can take up to a week and it sometimes does. Just depends.

by Anonymousreply 904/23/2013

Fantastic post, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

R1 they also say that about your mom.

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

There are two separate postal systems operating in the US. One exclusively handles bills, which,regardless of origin from all 50 states, arrive in your mailbox the next day. The other system, with varying delivery times, is used for everything else.

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

When I was overseas doing war stuff, mail from the States only took three or four days to get to the Persian Gulf region. During the Christmas season, the mail helicopters would bring tons of mail every day. That's not just an expression (tons of mail), it really was multiple tons, all through December. Guys in the company sorted mail as volunteers around the clock in December. USPS was great in getting mail to us from home.

by Anonymousreply 1304/23/2013

Remember, the USPS revenue kept our network of passenger trains alive well into the 1960s. The rolling post office cars would have the mail sorted and bagged by the time the train arrived in the station. On long trains like NYC to Chicago, they could even sort it into the individual delivery routes.

Again, it was Congress taking money from the airline lobby to steer that business over to them that finally did them in, even though for most mail the train was as fast or faster (because of the sorting on board mentioned above).

by Anonymousreply 1404/23/2013

[quote]Now if we can just get them to keep their filthy hands off the post office, it might just continue to perform its Constitutionally-mandated job.

It's not "mandated." The Constitution gives Congress the *ability* "to establish Post Offices," but doesn't *require* them to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!