Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Yes, please

[bold]Gay N.F.L. Hopeful Hopes to Be Pioneer[/bold]

By JOHN BRANCH

Alan Gendreau would seem an unlikely pioneer. He is a former kicker for Middle Tennessee State, the leading scorer in Sun Belt Conference history, a little-known 23-year-old who wants a shot at the N.F.L.

And he is gay.

Recent attention on the sooner-or-later milestone of an openly gay male athlete in a major American team sport has been spurred by a presumption: That the first will be a current professional athlete.

But those who have long tracked the issue have thought the more likely scenario would involve an already out athlete climbing through the college ranks to reach the N.F.L, N.B.A., N.H.L or Major League Baseball.

They thought it would be someone like Gendreau. And it might be, if and when he can secure an invitation to try out for a team in the coming months.

Gendreau’s motivation is not to become the first openly gay player in the N.F.L. It is simply to play in the N.F.L.

“I’m a kicker that happens to be gay,” Gendreau said on Tuesday. “It’s a part of who I am, and not everything I am. I just want to be known as a normal kicker.”

Gendreau’s story was detailed in a substantial feature and video released Tuesday by Outsports, a Web site devoted to the intersection of gays and sports. Cyd Zeigler, a co-founder of Outsports who wrote the story, said Gendreau is not looking for a spot in history.

“His goal is not to be the first,” Zeigler said. “His goal is to be who he is.”

Gendreau has been openly gay since high school in Apopka, Fla., and he did not disguise his sexuality when he arrived at Middle Tennessee State – which might have led to notoriety as the first out player in major college football, had anyone noted the historic cultural relevance.

As a freshman in college, Gendreau told his story to Outsports. But he did it anonymously, concerned about the impact on his family and afraid to hurt his professional prospects.

“My whole thing in this is just to help anybody who is struggling with coming out,” Gendreau said. “I want people to know that I didn’t have a problem with it, and they shouldn’t, either.”

Zeigler long worried that prejudice toward homosexuality would diminish an athlete’s chances of playing for a major American team sport. Now he is optimistic that it will have no bearing on Gendreau, an indication of how quickly society’s views have changed.

“N.F.L. teams will do whatever will win games,” Zeigler said. “I don’t think being openly gay hurts or helps him. It might hurt him with one NFL executive, or help him with another. But it won’t determine whether he gets a job.”

During his sophomore and junior seasons, on the way to back-to-back bowl berths for Middle Tennessee State, Gendreau made 28 of 34 field-goal attempts, the longest from 55 yards. As a sophomore in 2009, he kicked a game-winner as time expired to win at Maryland and was one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award, given to college football’s top kicker.

As a senior, in 2011, Gendreau missed four of his first five kicks – a potential game-tying 47-yard field goal on the last play of the season opener at Purdue was blocked -- for a team that went 2-10. Interest in his skills waned, despite a strong second half of the season, and Gendreau was lost among the sea of kicking prospects vying for 32 N.F.L. jobs.

“I took that as my sign to hang it up,” Gendreau said.

He has spent most of the past year living in Washington, D.C., as an assistant at a real estate firm. He coached at a football camp last summer, where other coaches saw him kick and encouraged him to continue pursuing his dream of reaching the N.F.L.

“I’m not in the N.F.L.,” Gendreau said. “If that were to happen, I’d love to be that role model to anybody struggling. I know that’s a lot of pressure, but that’s the life of a kicker.”

by Anonymousreply 7702/14/2015

pic

by Anonymousreply 104/23/2013

....a kicker....

Of course.

by Anonymousreply 204/23/2013

Yeah, I think everyone knew that the first openly gay football player would be a kicker.

by Anonymousreply 304/23/2013

A kicker? It should have been a tight end.

by Anonymousreply 404/23/2013

I'd definitely make him a wide receiver.

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

The big question is will he end up on a "reality" show on Logo or Bravo?

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

Next....

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

He's cute and a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

Well if amerikkka didn't act as if football was God's Game maybe gay players would be more confident about coming out.

by Anonymousreply 904/23/2013

What does this have to do with Sidney Crosby's ass?

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

He is Beeeeee-yoootifullll.

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

hot dude

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

What's wrong with being a kicker?

by Anonymousreply 1304/23/2013

And if the whole first openly gay NFL player thing doesn't work out, he could try to be the first openly male Rockette.

by Anonymousreply 1404/23/2013

Wasn't that a joke? That odds are the first open gay man in the NFL was going to end up being a kicker?

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

In this particular case: I think whoever is pushing the gay "angle" to the media is being a bit opportunistic. I would hope that he actually has the skills to be drafted; not just aiming for the potential endorsement deals or participating in tokenism.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

I guess I'm dense, R15. I mean, is it "kicks like a little girl" instead of "punches like a little boy"?

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013

[quote]“I’m a kicker that happens to be gay,” Gendreau said on Tuesday. “It’s a part of who I am, and not everything I am. I just want to be known as a normal kicker.”

Ruh roh! That's not gonna go down well with some people on this board.... I can hear the cries of 'internalized homophobia' rumbling in the distance as I type.

by Anonymousreply 1804/23/2013

Placekickers and punters are often the lowest paid starters on professional teams, although proven placekickers sometimes earn over $1 million per year in salary.

In addition, kickers are at times ostracized by other players due to the perceived non-physical and limited nature of their duties, as well as the fact they often are allowed to leave practice before the rest of the team.[1]

It is not uncommon for a placekicker to be one of the smallest members of their team. However, The New York Times in 2011 wrote that NFL kickers had adopted year-round weight training and strict diets.[2] Sebastian Janikowski that year was a 6-foot-2-inch (1.88 m) and 250-pound (110 kg) kicker. Kicker Rob Bironas, who is 6 feet (1.8 m) and 205 pounds (93 kg), noted, "I might be bigger than some wide receivers and cornerbacks."[2]

The presence of foreign born-and-raised players in the highest levels of gridiron football has largely been limited to placekickers—occasionally even coming from outside the traditional American high school and/or college football systems—and all but one of the women to have played men's American football were placekickers while the lone exception was a placekick holder. Notably Tom Landry recruited several soccer players from Latin America, such as Efren Herrera and Raphael Septien, to compete for the job of placekicker for the Dallas Cowboys. These anecdotes increase the perception of the placekicker as an outsider.

by Anonymousreply 1904/23/2013

Thank you, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2004/23/2013

Mamma Like! Mamma Like!

My mussy is moister than a muddy football field! My backfield is in motion and my manguyna is ready to receive!

by Anonymousreply 2104/23/2013

He looks familiar...

by Anonymousreply 2204/23/2013

Place kickers are the pinch-hitting ballerinas of football, or I sure was in high school.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

Holy hell he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

What's the penalty for roughing the kicker? 15 yards?

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

Marry me!

by Anonymousreply 2604/23/2013

Interesting that the Times didn't note that he is a devout, fundie Christian.

He's like the gay Tim Tebow.

Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013

Kicker, why not? Of course, to the British he'll always be a punter.

by Anonymousreply 2804/23/2013

A friend of mine went to school with one of his brothers, they look exactly the same!

Good to know at least one of them is gay ;)

by Anonymousreply 2904/23/2013

Hopefully not a cunt punter

by Anonymousreply 3004/23/2013

He has several pics on his Instagram with this boy. I'm guessing they are boyfriends, but that's just a guess.

And r29, he has pics with that brother too. I wondered if they were twins.

by Anonymousreply 3104/23/2013

Salon.com has a more complete profile. On his Christianity:

Gendreau has also long been a devout Christian, raised in a deeply religious household. It’s a tough mix, being gay and Christian. When he came out to his parents in high school, they put him in church-based counseling. That lasted four sessions.

His sexual orientation collided with his hometown church during the winter break of his freshman year in college. Back home in Orlando for three weeks, Gendreau brought his then-boyfriend to a church gathering with friends from high school.

When parents of other youth got wind that the mystery guest was his boyfriend and Gendreau was gay, they demanded the church leadership remove him from the their worship team. They complied.

“It was like my family telling me I wasn’t allowed to come home.”

by Anonymousreply 3204/23/2013

R31 I think he has two brothers around his age. Like one or two years apart. They all look quite alike. Jocks.

by Anonymousreply 3304/23/2013

This is his younger brother that I thought was a twin because of the similar names - Aaron and Alan.

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013

R34 They all start with an A. The other is called Arthur I believe.

by Anonymousreply 3504/23/2013

Handsome, athletic, religious, and openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 3604/23/2013

God he is perfection as is his brother...except for the religion part. They should thank their parents everyday for such a genetic combo. I should sue mine.

by Anonymousreply 3704/23/2013

That hot kicker is to extra points what this bottom is to bendy double joints...you want him to go deep and score.

by Anonymousreply 3804/23/2013

He's like a focus group's perfect beta test for this whole NFL controversy;

Conflicted back story, conveniently non-touching position, and great teeth.

by Anonymousreply 3904/24/2013

Kickers don't work as closely with other players. They are rarely hit.

by Anonymousreply 4004/24/2013

He's very hot. I see no downside to this revelation and future career path.

by Anonymousreply 4104/24/2013

I think Gendreau is supposed to be on Good Morning America later this morning. Of course Josh Elliot will be all over that.

Unfortunately it's not going to be an announcement that Gendrea was a first round draft pick.

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

Kickers are almost never first-round picks.

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2013

He seems like a cool guy.

And, on a shallower note, he's hot as hell. Anyone have his phone number?

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

"Well if amerikkka didn't act as if football was God's Game maybe gay players would be more confident about coming out."

Football games are out Friday night church services, R9. Especially here in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

Good for him. That's progress.

and IFHH

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2013

He's hot...

Mama's mussy is all tingly!

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

Thank goodness he's hot because I wouldn't care otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2013

Still not gonna get me to watch football...

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

Maybe if he gets picked, it will inspire Tim Tebow to come out.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

Did he get noticed by the draft people?

by Anonymousreply 5204/27/2013

I think his favorite sport is soccer, not football, no?

by Anonymousreply 5304/27/2013

Update?

by Anonymousreply 5404/27/2013

The update is that the draft is nearly at the end (they are midway through the 7th round right now) and he wasn't drafted.

But Gendreau clarified this morning on his twitter that he wasn't even being considered in the draft this week. That seems to be a different message than the press was putting out, but whatever.

Rather his intention is more like trying out for a walk-on spot. He's hoping that this summer during training camp a team (or a few) will give him a look and maybe sign him.

by Anonymousreply 5504/27/2013

Gendreau tweeted a positive message about Jason Collins coming out today.

by Anonymousreply 5604/30/2013

[quote]He's hoping that this summer during training camp a team (or a few) will give him a look and maybe sign him.

That would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 5704/30/2013

Apparently Gendreau is friendly with the recently out MLS player Robbie Rogers.

[quote]So proud of my buddy @robbierogers for being so brave and changing the culture of sports! #LAGalaxy #proud

by Anonymousreply 5805/27/2013

His Instagram account is a complete boner-wilter.

A sea of gayface, hags and Glamour Shotz.

He seems to be an aspiring circuit queen.

I predict he'll be addicted to meth and poz within two years.

by Anonymousreply 5905/27/2013

It's not quite as bad as R59 shrieks, but yes, there's a lot of gayface and tinynip emanating from his friend group. Alan really stands out as amazingly handsome in every shot.

by Anonymousreply 6005/27/2013

As cute as he is -- and he is -- he's a kicker. Like a high kicker or a member of a kick-line. Of course he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 6105/27/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6205/27/2013

I don't get what r59's problem is. He's gay, and he has gay friends. I think his instagram is as cute as the rest of him.

by Anonymousreply 6305/27/2013

We really have reached an amazing point of acceptance where apparently every fucking queen with a dream needs to have a parade.

by Anonymousreply 6405/27/2013

LMAO...he's a harmless queen (emphasis on the queen). Total dick wilted in person.

by Anonymousreply 6505/27/2013

So let me get this straight. His peak was being one of *20* semifinalists for a best college kicker award. He did not win.

He fucked up his senior year and didn't get drafted.

He didn't get drafted again this year.

Now he's working as a real-estate queen in DC.

His momentum in awe-inspiring. Why Outsports and not the cover of Sports Illustrated?

by Anonymousreply 6605/27/2013

r59, why are you so poisonous, dude? Your comments are not very masculine.

by Anonymousreply 6705/28/2013

Posting this vid of him singing a Celine Dion song is obviously a ploy to get the attention of NFL talent scouts.

by Anonymousreply 6806/08/2013

He's not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 6906/10/2013

If he had vocal training, he'd actually be acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 7006/10/2013

He has a decent voice and is affable. I hope he continues in sports for a while.

by Anonymousreply 7106/10/2013

R59--Too many self-portraits is never a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 7206/10/2013

Apparently Gendreau got to throw out the first pitch at the Nationals game last night.

His attached twitter pic is a simulation to demonstrate his form...I'm assuming.

by Anonymousreply 7306/26/2013

He's a stewardess now.

by Anonymousreply 7401/19/2015

R74 looks like the "kicking" thing didn't pan out. What's a girl to do? Become a flying petri-dish for American Airlines of course!

by Anonymousreply 7501/19/2015

The fall back career for all failed NFLers.

I hope he can send Michael Sam an application.

by Anonymousreply 7601/19/2015

Our favorite former college football player, current stewardess/Celine Dion wannabe made it on Out Magazine's list of 100 Most Eligible Bachelors this year.

by Anonymousreply 7702/14/2015
Need more help? Click Here.