Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Another one fades out: Montana Democratic Senator to retire

Senator Max Baucus, Democrat From Montana, Won’t Seek Re-election

Senator Max Baucus of Montana, the chairman of the powerful Finance Committee, will retire from the Senate after 36 years, the sixth Senate Democrat to head to the exits in 2014, according to Democratic officials close to the senator.

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

So he's not up for re-election and was too chicken shit to agree to even vote for gun sale background checks?

by Anonymousreply 104/23/2013

Good riddance to bad rubbish. The chances of getting a progressive replacement are slim, however.

by Anonymousreply 204/23/2013

The Dems are in real trouble in the Senate come 2014. And there is no way, with all those gerrymandered districts, they will gain in the House. So it looks like they're pretty muched fucked. And so are we.

by Anonymousreply 304/23/2013

Stop your bellyaching. We can win in 2014 if we make an effort to promote true progressive values and not watered down centrism.

Baucus is the turd who single-handedly sank real health care reform for watered down diarrhea health care reform, and I hope he dies a lingering painful death.

by Anonymousreply 404/23/2013

Sen. Brian Schweitzer (D-MT) sure sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

Well fine R4. But if the Dems don't have a really good field operation and a good ground game in 2014, just as if it were the 2012 election all over again, they can kiss both houses good-bye.

You can have the most wonderful candidate in the world, but if you have no funds, and no organization, and you can't get your message out, and identify and get your people out to vote, who gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

No, R3 is unfortunately right. All these democrat senators retiring is making the odds of holding on the the senate slimmer and slimmer.

There is no change of the house flipping. Unfortunately after the next election the Republicans are likely to control both houses of Congress which utterly sucks.

There goes ANY chance of getting anything done at the Federal level, not that there is much of won now. Thank goodness Obama holds the White House for now.

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

R6, they're not going to repeat the same mistake as 2010 when all progress went to die. With a lot of the states up for election being mostly red states, it'll be hard. But Obama (DCCC, DSCC) -- and most importantly Democrats watching the obstructionist congress, who sat the election out -- learned from 2010.

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

And my post has numerous typos, I'll "Oh Dear" myself

by Anonymousreply 904/23/2013

Yes, R9, chief among them the abhorrent Luntzian/Gingrich construction, "democrat" instead of the correct Democratic."

Nobody ever says "republic" Senator.

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

Gov. Schweitzer is considering running for the Senate. (Petition at the end of the article to encourage him to run.)

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

Why do Republicans always seem to be the beneficiaries from gerrymandering?

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

[quote]So he's not up for re-election and was too chicken shit to agree to even vote for gun sale background checks?

His lack of support for gun control probably entered into his decision to drop out OR - maybe he was told to drop out.

Over 20,000 Americans, via the Courage Campaign, pledged their names and dollars to send a strong (and blunt) message to Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, and Senator Michael Bennet that we will not support any Democrat who stands in the way of gun safety legislation.

Four NRA-owned Democrats were targeted by the Courage Campaign. Baucus got the message.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

This newspaper ad opened the door for his exit.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

In addition to getting attention from the Courage Campaign, Democrat Heidi Heitkamp got slapped in a Washington Post op-ed by Democrat Bill Daley, White House chief of staff in 2011–2012.

[italic]I want my money back.

Last October, I gave $2,500 to support Heidi Heitkamp’s campaign to become North Dakota’s junior senator. A few weeks later, she won a surprise victory.

I have had a long career in government and politics, but I don’t donate heavily to political campaigns. When I contribute, it’s because I know the candidate well or am really impressed with the person. Heidi Heitkamp was one of the latter: She struck me as strong-willed, principled and an independent thinker.

But this week, Heitkamp betrayed those hopes.

She voted to block legislation to make gun background checks more comprehensive. Her vote — along with those of 41 Republicans and three other Democrats — was a key reason the measure fell short of the 60 votes needed for passage.

Polling has shown that nine in 10 Americans and eight in 10 gun owners support a law to require every buyer to go through a background check on every gun sale. In North Dakota, the support was even higher: 94 percent. Yet in explaining her vote, Heitkamp had the gall to say that she “heard overwhelmingly from the people of North Dakota” and had to listen to them and vote no. It seems more likely that she heard from the gun lobby and chose to listen to it instead.[/italic]

It's time for Democrats in Congress to listen to the voices of the people. Heitkamp ignored 94 percent of the people in her state in her quest to placate the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!