Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

She's going to do it. Streisand is going to play Momma Rose!

[quote]Q. Are you still planning to play Momma Rose in “Gypsy”? Please say yes!

[quote]A. Yes.

Interesting Q & A.

by Anonymousreply 15801/10/2015

Narcissitic Personality Disorder is funny!

by Anonymousreply 104/22/2013

In what alternate universe can a 70-yr. old woman have any natural-born daughters under the age of twenty-five?

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2013

[quote]In what alternate universe can a 70-yr. old woman have any natural-born daughters under the age of twenty-five?

Honey, if she thought she could play a twentysomething MALE rabbinical student while she was in the throes of menopause, this should be a snap for her.

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2013

Read the article, the q and a. It's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

Jews are known to age exceptionally well, and Streisand is no exception. She doesn't look a day over 60.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

Are there any nonagenerians who can play her father?

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

RE 5 - What universe do you live in ? Quite the opposite. There was even a thread here a while back ' Why do Jewish men age so badly ?' , mentioning Tony Curtis, Brendan Frasier, etc. It is known that (not even counting the Gabors) Hungarian women age beautifully. Don't know why

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

[quote]Jews are known to age exceptionally well,

LAUGHING! No one ages worse than Jews do.

[quote]and Streisand is no exception.

Exhibit A:

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

That pic is from her back yard in the midst of building one of her houses 2 or 3 years ago.

In her most recent film she looks a good 15 years younger than her age- and it is not just her "look" but the way she moves, her voice etc. Ditto the videos of her latest tour.

Still, I don't want her to play Rose. Hate the play and she is too old and her voice is not what it was. I wish she would direct and do character roles of just age appropriate roles.

Nevertheless the q and a is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

R8 In what universe is Brendan Fraser Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

[quote]LAUGHING! No one ages worse than Jews do.

At least we don't *whine* about it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

Anne Hathaway would be perfect as Louise

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

This picture should have been done in the late eighties, early nineties with Liza starring. Minnelli has bled all over those songs in concert numerous times at her height.

Shit, she LIVED it.

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

Maybe she has dementia and thinks she's young enough to play it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

[quote]In what alternate universe can a 70-yr. old woman have any natural-born daughters under the age of twenty-five?

Halle Berry in 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

Mario Cantone should play Mama- and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

I hope she does it. She didn't look half bad in The Guilt Trip. I wan her to do it because it would be a big event that people would endlessly talk about on DL and ATC.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

Maybe they can change her father into her older brother. I hear Regis is available.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

On the other hand maybe Liza can play Louise and Glenn Close can play June. You'd have a lovely hit musical for 1979.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

[quote]Are there any nonagenerians who can play her father?

Finally, a call back!

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

I'm calling my broker tomorrow and investing in gauze and Vaseline.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

I love, love, love Barbra. But I don't want her to play Momma Rose. However, if she's going to do it, she better so it soon. Father Time is marching on. And time's a-wastin'.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

She should re-make Hello, Dolly! by giving a solo performance before a blue screen that could be CGI'd into the original.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

She's way too old for Dolly too.

by Anonymousreply 2604/23/2013

In the endless discussion on this topic, why does no one ever mention, that even in her prime, Streisand's VOICE is totally wrong for these songs and this score. She will not impress.

Zeta Jones is about the right age, voice timber and could play the brassy gutsy deludedness of this character, with the nuance of the time and place better than a 70 year old vain jewess. Mama Rose should not be played with vanity. Midler already did that.

All that said, as glorious as the score is to Gypsy, this play does not a good film make. It is a chestnut. Cannot be updated. Best for TV....and you know who already did that.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013

Why would the younger Streisand's voice have been totally wrong for this score, r27? She's obviously done very well with Jule Styne music before, and I don't think his musical style is all that different in GYPSY than it is in FUNNY GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 2804/23/2013

Well, I saw both Liza and Babs at the Chaplin Award Gala tonight and from my vantage point (mid-orchestra seat), they both looked pretty damn good.

by Anonymousreply 2904/23/2013

I have a wife that I've been married with for 3 years and we have 3 kids together. For the past year and a half, I have a secret job as a crossdressing dominatrix and it pays me really well. I don't have sex with my clients, but I do force them to perform body worship. They lick my feet and toes and make them bow down to me. I am VERY rough with my clients, and they love it. They always come back for more. My clients usually consist of middle aged white men with high income. I charge them 250$ an hour. I easily make 3000$ a week with this job. My wife does get suspicious with how I get this money, but she doesn't really force me to answer for all this money. I think she's scared of what the answer might be.

For the past month, my wife and I have been arguing. She doesn't want me to go at night anymore. Its been really difficult for me to keep my personal life and dominatrix life away from each other. I want to tell her about my night job, but I'm terrified of her reaction. If she saw me performing, I think she'd have a heart attack.

I know its weird that I am posting all this stuff on Datalounge, but I really need help from a group of individuals like you guys to help me with my dilemma. I do this job, not because I like it. But I need the money to provide my family with all the necessities that I can't fund if I work a normal job. Also would you guys consider my profession as cheating on my wife. I am not having sex or exchanging bodily fluids with my clients. I provide them services that their wives don't.

by Anonymousreply 3004/23/2013

It's a pity the interviewer didn't ask the correct follow-up question, which is "And do you have financing?".

She may be determined to play the role, but not determined enough to finance the film herself. And nobody else will.

by Anonymousreply 3104/23/2013

I love Barbra and I hope she does GYPSY. A good cinematographer (which she did not have in GUILT TRIP) will do wonders. GYPSY will be a big-budget musical and no expense will be spared to make it look spectacular. She will look great and sound great and all you haters will be eating crow as she picks up her third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3204/23/2013

There isn't enough Vaseline in Hollywood for a cinematographer to make her look good.

by Anonymousreply 3304/23/2013

Where does Streisand live when in NYC? She sold her apartment here years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013

She tried for 25 years to get funding for The Normal Heart....bitch please...write a check...YOU BUILT A SHOPPING MALL IN THE BASEMENT and you son is hiv positive!!!

by Anonymousreply 3504/23/2013

r30, why did you post that here, of all places? the juxtaposition is pretty hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3604/23/2013

Maybe r30 posted in this thread because he feels a kinship with Barbra's character in NUTS?

by Anonymousreply 3704/23/2013

Shouldn't she be playing Grandmomma Rose?

by Anonymousreply 3804/23/2013

Well they certainly made Lucy look very young in Mame. No doubt they can do it for Barbra in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 3904/23/2013

R38 has given Y'all the perfect solution: Grandmother Rose. The mother died in a grease fire and she had to raise the kids.

by Anonymousreply 4004/23/2013

Will never get made.

by Anonymousreply 4104/23/2013

Somehow I don't think Streisand would go for that.

by Anonymousreply 4204/23/2013

R23 Don't bother. It's gonna be all CGI.

by Anonymousreply 4304/23/2013

C'mon, guys! Compare Barbra when she is made up properly to Roz Russell in the original film of Gypsy.

You all have to admit, Barbra looks younger now than Roz did then, regardless of their respective ages. I don't think anyone at the time questioned Roz as the mother of two young girls.

by Anonymousreply 4404/23/2013

R29, could you tell us more about that awards presentation? Liza was on stage also? Did Streisand perform or do interview?

by Anonymousreply 4504/23/2013

Barbra cannot move her face due to plastic surgery and Botox. Movie will not work with modern audiences.

by Anonymousreply 4604/23/2013

Bitch better not try to remake Salome is all I can say.

by Anonymousreply 4704/23/2013

"Jews are known to age exceptionally well"

On what fucking planet? Not earth.

by Anonymousreply 4804/23/2013

"You all have to admit, Barbra looks younger now than Roz did then, "

Isn't it sweet that Datalounge is so accessible to the blind?

by Anonymousreply 4904/23/2013

Can I click on "like" for R49?

by Anonymousreply 5004/23/2013

I think Rosalind Russel was about 52 when she filmed Gypsy. I was not born yet, but some of us know these kind of things....

Regardless that was 50 fucking years ago and as I said in a previous post, Streisand has neither the gut voice or the lack of vanity to play this character on film. She will be compared unfavorably.

I am not just being anti Streisand. This musical cannot be made successfully as a film. It is not Chicago or Les Miz or Moulin Rouge. Times change and Gypsy can only be a stage play now.

It is a hairy old chestnut that cannot be updated. The songs are beyond great, as is the story. Hard for her to resist this dead duck swan song. But it will fail. Streisand has too much ego and terrible timing. Perfectionists are most often too late when they get there.

by Anonymousreply 5104/23/2013

luckily, barbra doesn't need your approval, r51. I know you're heartsick about it, but she's not sitting at home crying her eyes out because YOU don't think GYPSY can be made into a good film.

by Anonymousreply 5204/24/2013

It doesn't matter that Streisand no longer has the pipes to play the role. They'll just dub her singing vocals, like they did with Roz.

by Anonymousreply 5304/24/2013

Barbra doesn't need my approval, you fool r51.

I am completely correct however. Wait and see.

Some of us are not just jerking into our panties. I work in theatre and have worked with many better performers than Streisand. I thought I was being kind.

Are you losing your mind?

by Anonymousreply 5404/24/2013

r52=soft brained loser

by Anonymousreply 5504/24/2013

[quote]It is a hairy old chestnut that cannot be updated.

You mean a HOARY old chestnut. Hoary means gray or white with age, as in, "How vain must a hoary old bag of 70 be to think she can pass for the mother of a six-year-old?"

by Anonymousreply 5604/24/2013

r45, it was a fun, star-studded evening, with lots of film clips from Barbra's oeuvre!

In attendance were: Catherine Deneuve and Michael Douglas (these two were former Chaplin Award recipients)

George Segal (commented on Bab's comedic chops and sexiness)

Pierce Brosnan (relayed a self-deprecating story about his singing abilities in Mamma Mia, which he saw with BS, who patted him sadly on the knee afterwards).

Blythe Danner (signed off her speech with, "Barbra, you are the biggest Mother Focker!")

Kris Kristofferson (had fond memories of the bathtub scene from A Star Is Born)

Amy Irving (made funny comments about the "girl-on-girl" action in Yentl)...

with filmed testimonials from Omar Sharif (very charming)and Robert Redford (very serious).

Musical performances were by:

Liza Minnelli (A medley of Isn't This Better from Funny Lady/What Did I Have That I Don't Have from On a Clear Day)---the voice is threadbare but she still hit it out of the park

Wynton Marsalis (a jazzy Louis Armstrong-inflected Hello, Dolly!)

Alan Bergman (wrote and performed a personalized, moving and funny lyric to The Way We Were)

Ben Stiller introduced Bill Clinton who presented the award to Babs, who made a lovely, gracious speech.

The evening concluded with a heartfelt rendition of Smile by Tony Bennett...after which the audience milled around, not knowing what to do, as there was no official sign-off...and Barbra didn't take charge!

by Anonymousreply 5704/24/2013

r57 here again.

Forgot to mention that BS sat in a parterre box for the duration of the evening and only appeared on stage to accept her award. As she finished her speech, she thanked everyone for the "memories" and toyed with the audience by saying, "Sounds like I should sing or something." Of course the house went nuts, but she begged off and Bennett was hustled on.

I should also note that clips were shown from every Streisand film, except for All Night Long and Funny Lady (which at least was given a passing nod by Minnelli).

by Anonymousreply 5804/24/2013

[quote]It is a hairy old chestnut that cannot be updated.

[quote]You mean a HOARY old chestnut.

He was referring to James Brolin's one remaining testicle.

by Anonymousreply 5904/24/2013

Toni Collette should play Rose. Cathy Zeta Jones can play Mazeppa.

by Anonymousreply 6004/24/2013

After this, my next project will be to essay the title role in a remake of ANNIE!

by Anonymousreply 6104/24/2013

lOL@R59, I shouldn't laugh but I did.

by Anonymousreply 6204/24/2013

[quote] doesn't matter that Streisand no longer has the pipes to play the role. They'll just dub her singing vocals, like they did with Roz.

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 6304/24/2013

[quote]I'm available!

Back off, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 6404/24/2013

If they end up doing it on TV, Sara Ramirez could sing the shit out of Rose's numbers.

by Anonymousreply 6504/24/2013

Streisand was never made for the camera, in front or behind. Her voice was all that mattered although somebody got it into her head that she was a movie star which is why she abandoned Broadway and what do you know - her career from Funny Girl on-wards has been a myriad of overblown and contrived mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 6604/24/2013

Oh you are so smart R66- I am sure that is why they gave her the award on Mon- and why her films have been nominated for double digit Oscars- "somebody got it into her head" Tell me what you do with your life R66, whether you have "failed" as well as she has.

My God there are stupid people on DL. Just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6704/24/2013

r66 go watch 'What's Up, Doc?'

Then kill yourself for being WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 6804/24/2013

Don't you Streisand fanboys lash out at somebody for speaking the truth. Nobody is denying that woman's incredible talent - what we are accusing her of is becoming decadent and histrionic with the precious gift. By the way, tell me one person who considers her to be a movie star anyway. Forget about the sycophants at the academy or institution of wherever. Ask the general public to name ONE film of hers from 1970 onwards and they'll come up short.

by Anonymousreply 6904/24/2013

The Way We Were would be the answer.

by Anonymousreply 7004/24/2013

Alright, I'll give you that along with The Prince of Mirrors. But she was certainly helped by the fact that Robert Redford was the reigning king of Hollywood at that time.

by Anonymousreply 7104/24/2013

[quote] I'll give you that along with The Prince of Mirrors

And don't forget "Hello, Yentl!"

by Anonymousreply 7204/24/2013

And...

"What's Up, Dolly?"

"A Star Is Nuts"

by Anonymousreply 7304/24/2013

On A Clear Day You Can See Up The Sandbox

by Anonymousreply 7404/24/2013

Yentl Has Two Nuts

by Anonymousreply 7504/24/2013

LMFAO at r75!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH you funny owl!

by Anonymousreply 7604/24/2013

Babs' voice is all wrong for Rose in the same way Bernadette Peter's was - neither of them are or ever were belters, they're sopranos. Rose was written for Ethel Merman and sits far too low for either of them to get through convincingly. And given June is 11 or 12 in the opening scenes - anyone much more than 50 would cut it. I adore Roz Russell, but she was all wrong for the part as well.

by Anonymousreply 7704/24/2013

The Owl and the Funny Lady

by Anonymousreply 7804/24/2013

Bernadette Peters and Barbra Streisand are sopranos!?

You need an education about voice types, r77

by Anonymousreply 7904/24/2013

Haven't some DLers mentioned CZ-J as a more appropriate Mama Rose? And she was at the Chaplin Awards! Maybe Barbra's been reading the DL...

by Anonymousreply 8004/24/2013

Streisand, Barbra is too fucking old to play that part. They should give it to someone younger like Betty White or Grandma Moses.

by Anonymousreply 8104/24/2013

CZJ sounds almost croaky singing Send In The Clowns. She'd sound awful with Rose's numbers.

by Anonymousreply 8204/24/2013

R65 that's an awesome fucking idea. Sara and TR both.

by Anonymousreply 8304/24/2013

Barbara Cook has it right- There are many reasons that Streisand shouldn't be doing a movie of Gypsy, but her voice sitting TOO LOW is not one of them (R77). She'll be using Linda Lavin keys by the time the film is made.

I would love her to do a musical or two, though- preferably a comedy.

How about an arc on Glee next year? (Barbra shudders)

by Anonymousreply 8404/24/2013

Is Mama Rose supposed to be Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 8504/24/2013

[quote] How about an arc on Glee next year?

She could play Rachel's great grandmother!

From Yentl to Yetta!

by Anonymousreply 8604/24/2013

January 29, 1984

I.B. SINGER TALKS TO I.B. SINGER ABOUT THE MOVIE 'YENTL'

By I.B. Singer

In the 1950's, Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote a story titled 'Yentl the Yeshiva Boy,' about a rabbi's daughter with 'the soul of a man and the body of a woman.' The young woman, Yentl, is so hungry for learning that she defies Talmudic law by disguising herself as a man in order to attend a yeshiva, or religious school. The story, set in 19th-century Poland, was adapted for the stage in 1974 and recently became the basis of a multimillion-dollar Hollywood musical produced and directed by Barbra Streisand, who also plays the title role. In the following article, styled as a conversation with himself, Mr. Singer gives his reaction to Miss Streisand's 'Yentl.'

TEXT: Question: Have you finally seen the Yentl movie?

Answer: Yes, I have seen it.

Q: Did you like it?

A: I am sorry to say I did not. I did not find artistic merit neither in the adaptation, nor in the directing. I did not think that Miss Streisand was at her best in the part of Yentl. I must say that Miss Tovah Feldshuh, who played Yentl on Broadway, was much better. She understood her part perfectly; she was charming and showed instinctive knowledge of how to portray the scholarly Yentl I described in my story. Miss Streisand lacked guidance. She got much, perhaps too much advice and information from various rabbis, but rabbis cannot replace a director. The Talmudic quotations and allusions did not help.

Q: Did you enjoy the singing?

A: Music and singing are not my fields. I did not find anything in her singing which reminded me of the songs in the studyhouses and Hasidic shtibls, which were a part of my youth and environment. As a matter of fact, I never imagined Yentl singing songs. The passion for learning and the passion for singing are not much related in my mind. There is almost no singing in my works. One thing is sure: there was too much singing in this movie, much too much. It came from all sides. As far as I can see the singing did nothing to bring out Yentl's individuality and to enlighten her conduct. The very opposite, I had a feeling that her songs drowned the action. My story, 'Yentl the Yeshiva Boy,' was in no way material for a musical, certainly not the kind Miss Streisand has given us. Let me say: one cannot cover up with songs the shortcomings of the direction and acting.

Q: Is it true that you wrote a script of the play which Miss Streisand rejected?

A: It is true, and when I read her script and saw the movie I understood that she could not have accepted my version. In my script Yentl does not stay on stage from beginning to end. The leading actress must make room for others to have their say and exhibit their talents. No matter how good you are, you don't take everything for yourself. I don't mean to say that my script was perfect, or even good. But at least I understood that in this case the leading actress cannot monopolize the stage. We all know that actors fight for bigger parts, but a director worth his name will not allow one actor to usurp the entire play. When an actor is also the producer and the director and the writer he would have to be exceedingly wise to curb his appetites. I must say that Miss Streisand was exceedingly kind to herself. The result is that Miss Streisand is always present, while poor Yentl is absent.

Q: How do you feel about the writing?

A: It is not easy to make a film from a story. In most cases it is impossible. The great plays such as Shakespeare's, Moli ere's, Ibsen's, Strindberg's were written as plays. My Aunt Yentl used to say to my Uncle Joseph, 'In a pinch I can make from a chicken soup a borscht, but to make from a borscht a chicken soup, this is beyond any cook.' Those who adapt novels or stories for the stage or for the screen must be masters of their profession and also have the decency to do the adaptation in the spirit of the writer. You cannot do the adaptation against the essence of the story or the novel, against the character of the protagonist.

Let's imagine a scriptwriter who decides that Mme. Bovary should end up taking a cruise along the Riviera or that Anna Karenina should marry an American millionaire instead of committing suicide, and Dostoyevski's Raskolnikov should become a Wall Street broker instead of going to Siberia. This is what Miss Streisand did by making Yentl, whose greatest passion was the Torah, go on a ship to America, singing at the top of her lungs. Why would she decide to go to America? Weren't there enough yeshivas in Poland or in Lithuania where she could continue to study? Was going to America Miss Streisand's idea of a happy ending for Yentl? What would Yentl have done in America? Worked in a sweatshop 12 hours a day where there is no time for learning? Would she try to marry a salesman in New York, move to the Bronx or to Brooklyn and rent an apartment with an ice box and a dumbwaiter? This kitsch ending summarizes all the faults of the adaptation. It was done without any kinship to Yentl's character, her ideals, her sacrifice, her great passion for spiritual achievement. As it is, the whole splashy production has nothing but a commercial value.

by Anonymousreply 8704/24/2013

Interestingly, the original portrayer of Yentl on Broadway recently played... Mama Rose!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8804/24/2013

Singer comes of as a humourless cooze. Also, comparing his work to Anna Karenina and Madam Bovary is a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 8904/24/2013

Larry is that really you? What you said about Barbra's son when she turned down your movie was absolutely vile. You should be ashamed of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 9004/24/2013

I don't think Streisand knows a thing about being Mamma Rose. She is a HUGE star and has been for almost 55 years. Rose was a wannabe. Streisand had her turn when she sang I'm The Greatest Star. She should move on.

by Anonymousreply 9104/24/2013

And who really wants to see a film version of Gypsy? Answer: Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 9204/24/2013

[quote] I don't think Streisand knows a thing about being Mamma Rose. She is a HUGE star and has been for almost 55 years. Rose was a wannabe. Streisand had her turn when she sang I'm The Greatest Star.

Ethel Merman was Broadway's biggest star for thirty-odd years.

Angela Lansbury had an Oscar nomination before she was twenty, and a second one before she was forty. She also had two Tony awards by the time she did GYPSY.

Tyne Daly was a multiple Emmy nominee/winner...

I think Streisand playing the part at this stage is ridiculous, but not because she's too big a star.

by Anonymousreply 9304/24/2013

"I don't think Streisand knows a thing about being Mamma Rose. She is a HUGE star and has been for almost 55 years. Rose was a wannabe."

Extremely true. Babs is much more like Gypsy, the smart, neglected girl who finds out she's beautiful and becomes a star. She's nothing like Rose the greedy, desperate, amoral wannabe, and if she tries to make Rose fabulous or sympathetic that ruins the story.

If Babs directs, she can put herself and her ego into Gyspys's character, which is right and proper - it's Gypsy's life story and she's one telling the story. If Babs directs, and lets some other actress be the monster, there's a chance she'll do a decent job.

by Anonymousreply 9404/24/2013

[quote] And who really wants to see a film version of Gypsy? Answer: Nobody.

Speak for yourself, dear. I'd watch a Gypsy movie with a cast of CGI camels voiced by Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 9504/24/2013

Barbra is playing a version of herself that in another life had all the ambition and none of the talent. Maybe Barbra wants to play this part because she herself has had issues with her mother.

by Anonymousreply 9604/24/2013

Was Merman believable as the mother of 2 young girls?

I mean, what do you all think? I realize none of you saw her.

by Anonymousreply 9704/24/2013

r97, for christ's sake - our grandparents were in the womb when Merman was Rose!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9804/24/2013

Streisand should direct and Patti LuPone star. Should have done right after LaLuPone finished her B'way run.

by Anonymousreply 9904/24/2013

r99 - Patti LuPone does not have a face suitable for a cinematic audience.

by Anonymousreply 10004/24/2013

The stage is more forgiving, about both looks and age. Case in point - LuPone was 60 when she played Rose.

Casting a younger Rose and aging her up could work. It's not made very clear, but don't the events of Gypsy span about 15 years?

by Anonymousreply 10104/24/2013

Lea Salonga IS Mama Rose!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10204/24/2013

Ruthie Henshall IS Madame Rose!``

by Anonymousreply 10304/24/2013

I hate people who STILL use the worn-out phrasing: "X" IS "X"!

Can't you come up with something new for a change?

by Anonymousreply 10404/24/2013

Who the hell is X?

by Anonymousreply 10504/24/2013

X is one third of my dress size

by Anonymousreply 10604/24/2013

Megan Hilty is built like two time mother Mama Rose!

by Anonymousreply 10704/24/2013

[quote]... the smart, neglected girl who finds out she's beautiful and becomes a star.

Babs is all wrong. Still waiting for Streisand to be beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 10804/24/2013

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see Cybill Shepherd do it. She can sing and act. Plus she still has a body that most actresses in Hollywood would kill for.

She has never gotten her legitimate due as an actress. This would be perfect for her.

by Anonymousreply 10904/24/2013

[quote] Call me crazy, but I'd love to see Cybill Shepherd do it

I could see her as Miss Electra

by Anonymousreply 11004/24/2013

R97, Merman was 51 and she stood on a stage, ten to a hundred feet away from the people who watched her play the part. Bright lights and heavy makeup could make her look passably young enough. In any case, Merman fans didn't expect her to be gorgeous or glamorous.

Streisand is 71 and every unconcealed flaw looks bigger on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 11104/24/2013

OMG! Hard to believe Streisand is now old enough to have been Merman's mother when Merman was in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 11204/24/2013

[quote] Call me crazy, but I'd love to see Cybill Shepherd do it.

[quote] She can sing

You're crazy.

[quote] and act.

You're very crazy!

by Anonymousreply 11304/24/2013

[quote]Call me crazy, but I'd love to see Cybill Shepherd do it.

Put down the crack pipe, Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 11404/24/2013

Liza or Madonna would be far more suited to play Momma Rose than Babs ever would. Even Olivia Newton-John, Bette Midler or Cher would be better. Babs just has a wild hair up her snatch and thinks she can pull this off. No fucking way. Babs needs to just focus on singing and starring in sequels to Meet The Parents. She's all wrong for Momma Rose. Momma Rose is worshipped by gay men everywhere, it must be done right if it's going to be done and Streisand ain't the one to do it, honey. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Barbra. But it's not the right project for her. Barbra, sugar, just focus on your angelic voice and leave Momma to someone who can do her justice.

by Anonymousreply 11504/25/2013

Bette already played her.

by Anonymousreply 11604/25/2013

When does production start? 2018?

by Anonymousreply 11704/25/2013

Did anyone see The Hobbit ? They used amazing effects to make certain actors younger? It may be expensive cause they didn't use any on Gandalf who looked older....

by Anonymousreply 11804/25/2013

IIMHO, Bette set the low bar for the role. She was really awful, and that version is largely, deservedly forgotten today. I grew up a Midler fan and used to think she could do anything, but her GYPSY for TV was a turning point.

by Anonymousreply 11904/25/2013

Judging by Barbra's recent concert the singing will be "Some people can be content" cut!....cough weeze, phlegm,,,sorry I have a cold

by Anonymousreply 12004/25/2013

R118 They are going to Benjamin Button the shit outta Babs.

by Anonymousreply 12104/25/2013

we will be using a Jack Klugman hologram as Herbie!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12204/25/2013

[quote]Did anyone see The Hobbit ?

Yeah, she looked okay, but that noise she made every time she spoke was disconcerting.

{{{gollum}}}

by Anonymousreply 12304/25/2013

Babs should do a non musical version of Gypsy based on American Rose. She could focus it on the time period when older Mama killed her lesbian lover in the boarding house she ran.

by Anonymousreply 12404/25/2013

Herbie, wait!

by Anonymousreply 12504/25/2013

Is it true that Barbra was approached to do a cameo as Norma Shearer in Mommie Dearest?

by Anonymousreply 12604/25/2013

These days she could do HARRY Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 12704/25/2013

[quote] She could focus it on the time period when older Mama killed her lesbian lover in the boarding house she ran.

I could play the lesbian lover! Barbra, CALL ME!

by Anonymousreply 12804/25/2013

Who tha fuck is Momma Rose?

by Anonymousreply 12904/25/2013

[quote] Who tha fuck is Momma Rose?

Haven't you seen my name in that ad for Minsky's?

by Anonymousreply 13004/25/2013

completely agree with R119. Bette's version of Gypsy was atrocious!!! For a musical, the pace of it had no momentum whatsoever. And Bette's vocal style didn't lend itself at all well to the score. Awful, Awful, Awful!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13104/25/2013

[quote]Who tha fuck is Momma Rose?

You mean you've never heard of Mama Rose's Toreadorables?

by Anonymousreply 13204/25/2013

[quote] Who tha fuck is Momma Rose?

Wait here! I'll just go get my scrapbook. We've played the Orpheum circuit!

by Anonymousreply 13304/25/2013

What about Jeanne Tripplehorn as Momma Rose?

by Anonymousreply 13404/25/2013

Fuck up about Bette Midler, Tony Nominee for Best Lead Actress!

by Anonymousreply 13504/25/2013

I'd prefer Jeanne Tripplehorn actually. At least she'd act the shit out of the part.

by Anonymousreply 13604/25/2013

Jeanne Tripplehorn? That'd be like casting Vera Miles in the original film.

by Anonymousreply 13704/25/2013

[quote]Who tha fuck is Momma Rose?

Time for quick hiss before the stroke really takes over.

by Anonymousreply 13804/25/2013

Barbra is going to be interviewed on Fresh Air on NPR tomorrow if you want to tune in.

by Anonymousreply 13904/25/2013

Barbra is always such a bitch to Terri Gross on NPR.

by Anonymousreply 14004/25/2013

It is now being widely rumored that Streisand is all set to sign on the dotted line to play the part of Glinda in the film version of Wicked. Producers are in serious talks with Cher to take on the role of Elphaba (although Liza Minnelli is reportedly dying for the part).

by Anonymousreply 14104/25/2013

I was offered the role of Louise in Barbra's Gypsy....I said Barbra dear....the ship has sailed....no?

by Anonymousreply 14204/25/2013

No way, r134 - this role belongs to Rene Russo!

by Anonymousreply 14304/25/2013

My dream cast:

Tessie Tura-Olivia de Haviland

Mazeppa-Joan Fontaine

the third one-Is that woman from Titanic still alive?

Louise at age 6-Kate Winslet

Pappa-James Brolin

by Anonymousreply 14404/25/2013

Barbra gave this answer about Gypsy during her Q/A session in her in Amsterdam: "Tell the people (on BS forum) who want to know I will start filming Gypsy to call Stephen Sondheim. He'll know what I mean." other version: "...to ask Sondheim what's going on with Gypsy."

by Anonymousreply 14506/07/2013

Who will be dubbing her voice?

by Anonymousreply 14606/07/2013

what does that mean, r145? is the implication that Sondheim is standing in the way?

by Anonymousreply 14706/07/2013

Barbra is all inverted. She does Dolly in her twenties and Gypsy at 70?

by Anonymousreply 14806/07/2013

R147, that's the way I am thinking of it.

by Anonymousreply 14906/08/2013

Linda Eder for Barbara's voice!

by Anonymousreply 15006/08/2013

They should make it a play within a play type thing. A bunch of nursing home residents find renewed purpose while bringing Gypsy to life.:

Bernadette as June

Patti as Rose

Michael Douglas as Herbie

by Anonymousreply 15106/08/2013

Filming start?

by Anonymousreply 15212/21/2013

This thread was started in early 2014 when it was supposed to happen. Now 2014 is almost over and no film. it will soon be 2015. How long can she wait?

by Anonymousreply 15310/29/2014

You're dumb, r153. Thread is dead, as is Streisand's Rose.

And this thread was started in April, 2013, NOT "early 2014."

by Anonymousreply 15410/29/2014

There will be more Vaseline on the lens than during the making of Mame

by Anonymousreply 15510/29/2014

[quote]What do I regret not doing? “Cabaret,” “Klute” and “Julia.” I was offered those roles before such wonderful directors were attached. If I had known that the directors were going to be Bob Fosse, Alan J. Pakula and Fred Zinnemann, I would have said yes immediately. But I’m glad my girlfriends Liza Minnelli and Jane Fonda delivered such strong performances.

by Anonymousreply 15610/29/2014

Wow, Streep filmed Into the Woods ages ago and she is 65. At 72, I don't think Barbra can get a green light for Gypsy. Who on earth would believe her as a woman in her 40's?

by Anonymousreply 15710/29/2014

It's now 2015. When is filming going to start?

by Anonymousreply 15801/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.