Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Futurama' canceled (again) after seven seasons on Comedy Central

'Futurama' canceled (again) after seven seasons on Comedy Central

By Laurel Brown | April 22, 2013 12:34 PM ETt t "Futurama" is heading into cancellation yet again. Comedy Central has decided not to renew the animated series after seven seasons on that network. Why was the sci-fi, comedy cartoon canceled this time?

The basic reason seems to be, as always, declining ratings over the past few seasons., which first broke the news, quoted Dave Bernath, the executive vice president of programming at Comedy Central as saying the show had a "he**uva run" as it came to its end. "I'm more thankful and feel a sense of gratitude toward the whole process -- and that we found a way to keep going for 52 more episodes -- than I really am even thinking about the ending. It's a blessing that it came back and lasted so long."

The Comedy Central tenure of "Futurama" comprises its relaunch from 2008 to the present. The series, from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and David X. Cohen, originaly aired on FOX between 1999 and 2003. When that network canceled the show, successful reruns on Adult Swim led to four movies aired on Comedy Central as the show's Season 5. Their success led to Seasons 6 and 7 on the cable network.

While this definitely comes as sad (although probably not unexpected news) to fans, the cancellation might be worth it, just for the comments from the "Futurama" creators. "It was what I had expected two years earlier," Cohen told EW. "At this point, I keep a suitcase by my office door so I can be canceled at a moment's notice." The series co-creator then added that this was "our best 'last season ever' ever" and described the final episodes as "classics."

Will "Futurama" shift networks yet again? "We're catching our breath and seeing what fans have to say," Groening said. "The experience of this show has been so much fun from the very beginning to now -- everybody is so happy to work on this show -- that it'd be a shame if we went our separate ways." When pressed to explain how the show could continue, the producer added "Perhaps 'Futurama will return in another form, on the Internet or as a puppet show in the park. Or maybe as a puppet show in the park on the Internet." Cohen chose to insist that this was in fact the end. "As I said three times before, this is definitely the absolute end of the show," he explained. "I don't know why nobody believes me when I say that."

Set in the 31st century and full of robots and mutants and stuff like that, "Futurama" has enjoyed critical success and a devoted fan base over the years. It also won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program in 2002 and 2011. The final episodes (on Comedy Central anyway) will begin airing on Wednesday, June 19 at 10pm.

by Anonymousreply 2108/31/2013

This show was never funny. I understood its first cancellation. I couldn't believe when it was picked back up. I tried watching it multiple times. I was bored out of my mind.

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2013

This show was still on? I didn't know they were still making new episodes. I thought they were just showing reruns.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

As big of a Simpsons fan as I am, I've just never been able to get into this show.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

What time was it on, 3AM? They sure didnt promote it much.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

CC keeps rerunning the same episodes during the afternoon. It always seems like its the same four or five episodes. Not sure when they air the first run episodes.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

The first run episodes were by far the best. The "movies" were the worst. The second run seemed to be slowly improving.

My favorite episodes of all time were the first two Xmas episodes, the one with Fry's dog, and of course, The Devil's Hands are an Idle Plaything.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

What about Zoidberg?

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

You can't just have your characters say what they're feeling. That makes me so angry!

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1304/23/2013

Fry's dog

by Anonymousreply 1404/23/2013

I wonder how long Simpsons will go on for.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

The Simpsons will outlive us all.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

Dr. Zoidberg is a cockroach?

I always thought he was some kind of crab.

by Anonymousreply 1808/31/2013

I thought it should have ended after its run on Fox. I think the last show was where Fry was playing some kind of space instrument that creates beautiful images if played with expertise; he couldn't it before but he became a virtuoso after exchanging his hands with the Robot Devil's (I loved the Robot Devil). Leela falls in love with them after he woos her with his new talent, but it ends with Fry having to give the Robot Devil his hands back. Everyone leaves the theater after he flops big time with his own ability...except Leela. He plays the space instrument and it creates a crude image of Fry and Leela running off together hand and hand. I thought it was the perfect ending for the show.

I watched a couple of the new shows. They were trying way too hard to be funny and nasty, in the style of Family Guy. An incredibly stupid one had to do with "robosex"; seems Bender and Amy couldn't get enough of fucking each other and wanted to get married, but there are laws against "robosexual" marriage, so they started a big campaign to make it legal. Robosexual...homosexual...get it? Pretty lame, huh? I didn't watch to see how the episode turned out. It was so stupid I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 2008/31/2013

Everyone goes on about the one with Fry's dog but the episode which always gets to me is "The Sting" where the crew goes to collect honey from space bees and Fry gets impaled by a bee's stinger while Leela gets a scratch from the same stinger but then thinks she's going crazy. "Just do me a favor... wake up."

by Anonymousreply 2108/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!