Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you make your Shepherd's Pie?

I have only ever used corn, no other vegetables.

I tried lamb once but it was too greasy so I stick with ground beef. But there must be other ways.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

Try goat. Delish!

by Anonymousreply 104/22/2013

Though some use the terms interchangeably and the semantic debate has been around for some time, when beef is used, it's usually referred to as Cottage Pie, with Shepherd's Pie defined by the use of lamb.

Lamb-haters (and I am one) should be attentive to the fact that different people have different notions of the distinction (or lack of) between Shepherd's and Cottage Pies.

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2013

I usually make it the way my mother did. I sauté an onion until translucent then add the ground beef and sauté until browned. I add some water and flour to make a gravy - or sometimes a jar of mushroom gravy instead.

I put that in the bottom of my casserole, then I layer a can of creamed corn and a can of regular corn. I top it with mashed potatoes made with butter and milk. I don't put cheese on top of mine but I know some people do.

All-American comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2013

Wow. A DLer who actually admits to cooking with canned foods.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

Mama makes the best shepherd's pie... when she isn't passed out and forgets to take it out of the oven.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

Shocking, isn't it, R4? Now if you will excuse me, I'm going down into the caverns beneath my house to harvest some fresh mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

I've never made it, but I use 7% fat (dark meat) ground turkey for everything I used to use ground beef in. It tastes better, if you're me.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

R3, that's exactly how my mother made it. Man I love it that way.

And we called it Shepherd's Pie.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

I wouldn't even be caught DEAD with a can opener in MY house!

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

And yet people mock KFC bowls.

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

With freshly ground shepherds, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

It really depends on the quality of the beef, R4. If it's cheap grocery store ground beef, then the gravy isn't all that good unless I add some flavoring - I love Bisto for that. If it's butcher store ground beef, then the gravy has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

Peppered with actual shepherd on top!

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

I don't understand how R3's recipe doesn't turn to slop.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

It doesn't turn to slop because I don't make/use much gravy - just enough to moisten the meat. It isn't solid like a lasagna is, but it isn't sloppy, either. We eat it off of plates - not in bowls - and it doesn't slop off of the plate.

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

Do you drain the drippings from the meat to make the gravy or do you make the gravy with the beef still in the pan? It seems like it might be hard to control consistency with the meat in the pan. This is where I'm tripping up.

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

Interesting notions of what makes a Cottage Pie. Since everyone seem to use beef, I will not use the name Shepard's Pie. Corn is never used in a true Cottage Pie. Corn (or maize) is, until recently, only for animal feed in England. Cottage pie is really the leftovers from the Sunday roast. The leftover meat would be ground and topped with leftover potatoes. Often the vegetables are served on the side rather than as a layer in the pie. Traditional vegetables are peas and carrots.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

I have never, ever heard of your way, R17.

And I've never heard any variation of it called Cottage Pie in the States.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

My mom didn't add corn. It was pretty much browned ground beef and a layer of mashed potatoes.. no wonder it was always so bland.

I did have some cottage pie when I was in London. Had vegetables and seasonings. Liked it

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

1. Take one shepherd.

(If unavailable you may substitute one UPS driver, but you lose the lovely gamey taste.)

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!