Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Getting Dog After a Long Break

I haven't had a dog in over 15 years. My last one I had to put down. It was a beagle. I'm now in a position where I can give more attention to a new dog. But what I'd like to know is whether there are breeds which are typically better for people who have physical limitations? Is smaller necessary better? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

Quite a few passengers who have special needs(usually extreme anxiety) hence allowed to have service dogs accompany them on flights, have had miniature pinschers and Italian greyhounds. Both are calm, affectionate and not prone to barking breeds. They're usually in the $600-800 range for better pet quality...not show quality.

I am particularly fond of the IG or Iggies as they are known. There is a breeder in the Ozarks who is very well known for good dogs. I wish I could be precise, but the name is something like Spring Creek or Spring Hill. If you can find them through Google, they have adorable pictures and details about all their puppies coming up for sale. This is not a puppy mill.

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2013

For someone in your position, I would most definitely consider the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. In my opinion, not only the cutest dog ever, but also the most affectionate and loving of any dog I've ever known. They are known as "The Love Sponge". They'll be by your side every moment of the day if you want them to be. They're great apartment dogs and are fairly low maintenance except for brushing well several times a week.

I've always had mixed-breeds before and loved them all to death. But I now have two Cavaliers and they are the absolute BEST!!

Link below for the various types: Blenheim (rust and white), tri-color (black, white, brown), ruby (reddish brown) and black/brown. I have a tri-color and a Blenheim, both females.

You can't go wrong with a Cavie.

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2013

[quote]You can't go wrong with a Cavie.

I've been told they're not very bright.

I prefer an intelligent dog.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

A mature (1.5+ year old) trained German Shepherd would be a great candidate. They are incredibly in tune with people and their abilities.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

Cavs are wonderful dogs, but they're prone to heart problems.

If you want a purebred dog of any kind, go to a rescue rather than a breeder.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

R6. Bad advice rescuing can be risky depending on breed. Shelter dogs are not always the best option for large breed dogs or dogs that can be aggressive,if not from a,good line.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

I have no Idea where the random commas came from

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

Not so, R4. Cavies are VERY bright and very easy to train. Yes, they can be prone to heart problems, which is why you need to be sure they have been fully tested out and are free of problems prior to getting one. (However, I know several Cavalier owners who DO have dogs with heart problems and they are all doing fine on medication. It's not a death sentence, by any means.)

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

Yes, OP. It always is best to go with your necessary betters. And there are many of them, aren't there?

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

U need a Scah-ee

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

What are your physical limitations, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

I have no arms or legs and rely on friends to roll me around in a wheelbarrow.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

Sorry about that.

It has to do with chronic pain. Back, especially.

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

Have you googled "support dogs"?

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

Actually, googling information about service dogs is a great idea. Some are trained to do activities that owners can't perform such as retrieving items or providing physical support to people who have a hard time getting around. Not that you need that, but the dog would be selected for a temperament or trained to notice your comfort level and adjust accordingly. Expense might be the biggest obstacle.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

My thought was, you really don't need a dog who's going to pull on you when you walk him.

If you don't go that route, the Italian Greyhound sounds nice among the breeds mentioned.

You don't even have to walk them in winter, as they prefer to stay in the house when it's cold out, and they go on paper pads. I've heard of some people training them to use a litter box.

And since they're small, unless you're extremely weak, it's unlikely their pulling force would be something you couldn't deal with.

I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with grooming a long-haired dog, but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

Everyone - thank you!

I'll take that advice of looking into support dogs. I just didn't think of it.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

Shelties are very obedient and easy to train. They can jump onto your sofa, bed, car seat, etc., so you should never have to bend over to lift one.

Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

[R18] My fiend has an Iggie who is litter box trained! That's almost as amazing as cats who use the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

[quote] Shelties are very obedient and easy to train

My neighbors had a Sheltie that never shut up. Bark, bark, bark the whole time it was outside. It was insane-making. It was like it had OCD and thought it would die if it stopped barking.

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

Shelties are a barky breed, true. But whip smart and loving and very good for depressives. They get you up in the mornings, force you to go for walks, want you to be on a regular schedule and can be incredibly affectionate. Barking is just their way of communicating with you.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

Honestly, the best breed is a mutt; one rescued from a shelter. I've adopted several over the years and they have made excellent companions. My last lived to the ripe old age of 14 and he was my best friend. It's been a long time since I had to have him put down for humane reasons, and I'm still tearing up. Good luck in your search. And thanks to the person who suggested a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. There is a rescue group here in Austin, TX and tomorrow I plan on visiting them. After reading about this breed, and seeing that there are several who need homes, I think that I'll adopt one soon.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

R22, a friend of mine has a Sheltie who will not stop barking. Nice dog, but I'm glad I don't live anywhere near them.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.