and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Diet or exercise?

Which is more important?

by Anonymousreply 3004/24/2013

For good health, exercise.

For being fashionably slender, diet.

by Anonymousreply 104/22/2013

Exercise is very important, but most people cannot out-train a bad diet.

When Michael Phelps was getting ready for the Olympics, he was able to consume 12,000 calories a day and not get fat -- because he was training for five hours a day.

But, for those of us who are not Olympic athletes, diet is a crucial component of looking good and being healthy. And, the older you get, the more critical your diet is. There are very few -- if any -- people in their thirties or beyond who can eat like a hog and not look like one.

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2013

They're not mutually exclusive. Do both, stoopid-head.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

Both. No point in doing one without the other.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

Diet comes first if you're that heavy.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

Diet is by far more important to your general health and weight.

Exercise is great and recommended, but the most important step is learning to eat properly.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

Exercise is by far more important to your general health and weight.

Diet is great and recommended, but the most important step is learning to exercise properly.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

For losing weight diet.

There have been a lot of studies that show exercise increases appetite overall, so if you're trying to lose, you should master a good diet first. Then start exercising once you've got a handle on that.

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

Amusing R9, but the evidence backs me up. At the end of the day learning to eat healthy choices and the proper amount of calories does you more good.

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

Diet, absolutely. There are plenty of overweight people who work out consistently. They just can't lose weight because they take in too many calories.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

My auntie lived to 107 and never exercised a day in her life. So I'd say diet: she didn't eat a healthy diet, but she was never fat.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

But it is not an either or. However, your body learns to become more calorie efficient when you exercise.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

Also, exercise is important for your health and well being, especially once you hit your 40s. I see all these people who limp, have trouble getting up and getting around, are always complaining about every ache and pain, their back problems, etc. and all I think is: if you'd exercise and condition your body, you wouldn't have those problems.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

When I was trying to lose 50 pounds I started out with dieting and building muscle thru free weights and resistance training. This help build strength in my legs & arms, too.

Then I added some form of aerobic excercise. Now I do my free weights four times a week for about 15 minutes, and I do Aerobics ( walking, elliptical, etc.) for 45 minutes a day three times a week. I also changed how I eat. I don't "diet." I eat better.

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013

R17, that long form cardio like elliptical, treadmill stuff has proven to be almost worthless. Get a HIIT program. You're better off alternating rowing with burpees or push-ups, without rest. Set up an interval program on a rowing machine for 200m with 1 min. rest; during that min., get off the rowing machine and do 40 seconds of burpees or pushups, etc., in time to get back to your rowing interval. See how many you can do, maybe about 6 - 8, then next time increase it by 1 until you can do 12 intervals; then go back to 8 with increased intensity. You can also do cycling, either sprint intervals of 500m or 10 - 20 mins. of cycling.

Don't spend 45 minutes doing the same thing. Waste of time.

I would increase your weight training to about 40 mins. as well, with a proper program alternating push/pull exercises, working both upper and lower body, alternating a strong emphasis on one each day but never ignoring the other.

You're probably capable of so much more than you think.

by Anonymousreply 1804/23/2013

"that long form cardio like elliptical, treadmill stuff has proven to be almost worthless"

No it hasn't. When trying to lose weight I do at least 45 mins 3-4 times a week and I lose weight. When I go through periods of not going to the gym or jogging I put on weight. When I start again, even after 2-3 jogs or treadmill/ellipitical sessions I notice my body feeling trimmer. So, there must be some connection, at least for me.

Also, it feels great and is excellent for a cardio workout (because exercise is not all about losing weight.)

And, as r17 said, diet is not about not eating, it's about eating well and also not over-eating.

by Anonymousreply 1904/23/2013

Exercise is the key, because when you do that regularly, your metabolism is higher.

by Anonymousreply 2004/23/2013

Yes, genetics.

by Anonymousreply 2104/23/2013

[quote]diet is not about not eating, it's about eating well and also not over-eating.

Sounds like "not eating" to me.

by Anonymousreply 2204/23/2013

If you're overweight -- diet.

Exercise has negligible effects on your weight.

It has plenty of good effects on your health, but the weight-loss benefits have been vastly over-stated.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

[quote]Sounds like "not eating" to me.[/quote]

Only when you are not used to eating the proper amount of calories. Once you get used to eating a healthy diet it becomes the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

I have a 38-year old friend who has been overweight all of her life. After she had her second kid, I think she was pushing 250 lbs. Something in her brain finally went off, and I guess she didn't want to risk her health and leave her children motherless, so she began a diet (Weight Watchers) and exercise program.

After about two months of very slow weight loss, she hired a personal trainer. She works out for 90 minutes every day. Mostly cardio with some weight training. She follows Weight Watchers as a guideline, but isn't completely diligent. For example, she'll still have ice cream, but will order a small cone instead of a sundae. She has lost at least 75 lbs in one year, and she'll be the first to tell anyone it's exercise that got her there.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

I'm eating your so called new normal, R24. It means not eating a lot of things I like. Let's not bullshit about that.

by Anonymousreply 2604/23/2013

R19, it's not optimal use of your time. You burn calories longer doing intervals. That's proven fact. And it's certainly not muscle building exercise. You want to build muscle so you burn calories at rest.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013

You can at least walk. Walk to and from work. Walk to buy your groceries. Walk after dinner. Easiest exercise.

And cut out junk food, and booze which make you want to eat greasy food.

by Anonymousreply 2804/23/2013

I enjoy it, r27, so it is optimal use of my time. I don't enjoy the type of exercise you recommend, so doing that would be a waste of my time.

R23, the claim that exercise won't help you lose weight is tailored to the age of the couch, where for many people physical activity is something they can't comprehend so get told things like "make sure you walk at a normal pace for 30 minutes a day". Being required to do anything more than that is presented as torture. Check the details - the women in the study you linked were asked to "exercise" for a maximum of 3 hours 15 mins a week, some were required to exercise for just over an hour a week.

As the study does point out, you need to get your heart rate pumping for a least an hour for 4-5 days a week. If you go to the gym and do good cardio, or jog and do some other sports a few times a week then you will lose weight and also maintain a decent weight. Anyone who thinks that the level of exercise needed to lose significant weight is a light jog or brisk walk for 30 mins twice a week and then gets shocked when they learn they might need to make a bit more of an effort is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2904/23/2013

To drop weight, diet.

To look like you dropped weight, exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3004/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!