Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you a lawyer and if so, why did you choose your career and was law school hard?

Law is most likely the hardest career out there. I was just wondering how you guys like your job and how hard law school is.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

The hours seem insane.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

I'm not a lawyer but my wig and I play one on TV.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

I've got a 54 year old friend that just entered law school.

She's working constantly but liking it.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

This may just be the "Grass is always browner on the other side of the fence" syndrome, but I'd always assumed that med school was far more demanding both intellectually and physically.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Law school isn't hard. It's paying off the debt that is hard.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Law School makes people too argumentative. I have "I still hate my friend Julie" type feelings towards a girl I grew up with who went to law school. I swear nowadays she will argue about anything.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

R5 is correct: medicine is far more difficult. I say that as a lawyer btw. Also, law school is vastly more difficult than the practice of law, at least for most practicing attorneys. It's also not the difficulty level so much as it is the volume of material you essentially need to memorize, and that's mainly in your first year of school; second- and third-year classes are more experiential in nature and sometimes don't even have a final exam.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

But there are no jobs for lawyers anymore.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

They're all Liars For Hire.

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

I loved law school 15 years ago, but there's no way I'd go today. Too expensive, no jobs out there. I don't advise anyone to go to law school unless they are independently wealthy and will never need to work. The chances of finding a job that pays well enough to pay back the loans is extremely slim. And if you win the 'lotto' and get one of those jobs, it will suck the life out of you.

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

It was long ago settled OP. You are going to be an actuary. Stop delaying the inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

No, it's not intellectually hard but if you want good grades it usually requires a lot of time to get through the reading.

Not sure what kind of practice R8 is talking about but my practice is way harder than law school ever was. Of course it's also more rewarding and can be incredibly stimulating.

I was a bit older than some students when I went to law school so I wasn't intimidated by professors or any of that crap. I viewed them as I did anything else I was paying for - I expected them to do their job well. Most of the ones some students thought were too tough I thought were the betters profs. In fact the professors were more collegial with older students.

If you love law then by all means go. It's too expensive to just go for the sake of going. But if there is some area of law you really want to engage in for your life's work then by all means find a way to go. You won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

Law school was boring

But practice can be interesting

Not for a middle class person

Not worth the profit return-more a title

Most lawyers I know who make any money got their start from a parent or relative. Some built their own business, but that is a 24/7 way to live.

Would never study to be a lawyer now

by Anonymousreply 1404/24/2013

Law is the hardest career out there? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

It is an absurd notion that being a lawyer is one of the hardest careers out there and insulting to those who actually put their lives on the line each day.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

I thought being a stay at home mom was the hardest profession ever?

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

I'd say being a surgeon, emergency responder or nurse are the hardest jobs out there.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.