Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Subjects/objects they almost never get right in TV shows

The movie thread is interesting, am stealing it for TV.

Is there a TV show in particular that makes you scratch your head in confusion? Is there a character type, a genre, or even a setting that TV never does well?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 18305/12/2013

[italic] Restless Style [/italic] is not how magazines are run.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 104/21/2013

Not that this is a soap thread (honest) but I think it's hysterical that Bold and Beautiful, a show that's supposedly about fashion and the fashion industry, has never had even one gay designer.

Only on TV.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 204/21/2013

Again, academia.

They show professors constantly having affairs with students, which rarely ever happens anymore since the late 80s, when it became verboten--and became about the only thing that could cause professors to lose tenure for doing.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 304/21/2013

Any medical show. The staff always seem to have a lot of free time, usually to carry on affairs inside the hospital.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 404/21/2013

The advertising business!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 504/21/2013

OP asks about things they don't get right and then posts as "Bea Arthur's Caftan." Bea wore plenty of flowing vests and jackets but wasn't known for wearing caftans.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 604/21/2013

Bars and dance clubs.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 704/21/2013

work and office life.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 804/21/2013

In real life, genitals don't move in a blur and they don't get covered by one.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 904/21/2013

Supermarkets! The characters always end up in a corner of the market, and the aisles are about one cart length long.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1004/21/2013

Along the lines of r2, the portrayal of the performing arts as completely filled with straight people, save for one token queer. See Fame, Center Stage etc. Smash premiering last year was a breath of fresh air; unapologetically and honestly queer. I realize that queer doesn't sell, and everyone wants hetero romance storylines, but come on.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1104/22/2013

No one every locks the door when they leave their house or apartment.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1204/22/2013

Group therapy. Sometimes even individual therapy. Massage therapy. All of this goes for movies, too.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1304/23/2013

Shows that are shot in Los Angeles but supposedly take place in New York City never get it right. Too much sun, too many trees on the sidewalk and sometimes palm trees in the background.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1404/23/2013

You mean like Ryan Secrest taping an entire E! hour interviewing the Kardashian Family, even though they are already on 24 hours a day thinking the public actually cares about this no talent whore family?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1504/23/2013

Court cases - In real life, people would be thrown out for contempt, lawyers and civilians. You can't just shout things out or continue badgering a witness after a warning from the (more often than not, white male) judge.

Hot woman married to fat, ugly man.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1604/23/2013

Interrogations.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1704/23/2013

Southern accents

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1804/23/2013

[quote]Smash premiering last year was a breath of fresh air; unapologetically and honestly queer.

Well, okay, they might have gotten the gay-to-straight ratio correct. Well, not really, but it's good for network, so let's give it a pass.

But the rest of it? Oh, honey. Makes VALLEY OF THE DOLLS look like a D.A. Pennebaker documentary.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 1904/23/2013

NATURAL SCIENCES!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2004/23/2013

Funerals. Drives me batty. First of all, they never have an inside service (church, temple, secular funeral home); graveside only.

Then, they populate the mourners with the deceased's [italic]coworkers![/italic] Almost never do you see family or non-work friends, unless they're also part of the cast. Most times you won't see relatives at TV funerals, even if certain relatives have appeared on several prior episodes.

What's really funny is when a black or Hispanic castmember or his/her spouse is killed off. Every mourner is white. No mother, father, siblings, aunties, or neighbors or churchmembers. Just coworkers.

In my world, very few coworkers attend funeral services ; most show up at the visitation.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2104/23/2013

The natural landscape and architecture of South Florida -- mostly because they're often filming in California and trying to pass it off as Florida.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2204/23/2013

Dance auditions.

The people conducting them are never as evil and disrespectful to auditioners as portrayed (unless, irony of ironies, it's a "reality" show) and, ... leaving Joey in charge based on what his resume says? Really?!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2304/23/2013

[quote]Bars and dance clubs.

The dancing is never in time to the music because the music is always dubbed in after the filming.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2404/23/2013

[quote] Too much sun, too many trees on the sidewalk and sometimes palm trees in the background.

And, inevitably, sidewalks that are too narrow and tall. NYC sidewalks are fairly wide and short.

Luggage is always too light (just fill it up for real and have the actors deal with it realistically!)

Sex under bed sheets/with clothes on in a bed also really bothers me. If you need to censor there are infinite ways of doing it with camera angles. But having the women with sheet-covered breasts and guys coming out from under the sheets to get something in the fridge with their boxers on is just plain uncreative blocking.

That stupid movie with Mila Kunis and Timberlake got it half right, but only because the plot required for him to be naked to do his piss hard-on bit.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2504/23/2013

For the love of god, please put a small weight in the "full" coffee/tea cups! Watching otherwise decent actors sling around a piping hot empty cup of Joe just takes me out of the moment.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2604/23/2013

Mental illness. There's always some dumb fuck complaining that "Mom's not herself when she's on her medication" and would presumably prefer batshit alcoholic/bipolar/schizoid mom to functioning, medicated mom. Anybody who loves someone with a mental illness knows that this is bullshit.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2704/23/2013

With the exception of Roseanne, which got the set right for a lower middle class home, tv shows always create housing for the characters that is way more expensive then their fictional jobs could ever afford to pay for. The housing/apartments depicted on the tv show, in real life would easily consume their entire fictional salaries and then some. Admittedly some shows like Friends create back-story to explain away the posh spaces; Monica's parents owned the building or Neal from White Collar who manages to stay rent-free in a massive single family home in NYC as he and his landlord June are fellow con-man who support each other. Minus these plot devices, the posh housing should easily bankrupt these poor souls leaving them no money for restaurants, take-out, cable tv, movies or any other form of entertainment that they regularly partake in within the story-lines of their respective shows. The characters should be left housebound and house poor by their luxury apartments but they aren't.

Tv shows also almost never discuss a character's salary if at all, nor do they discuss typical monthly expenses in any specifics. We never hear lines like,"I am going to the post office to mail the cable bill. Gee it is almost $200 this month."

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2804/23/2013

[quote]Monica's parents owned the building

You went too far! Monica's grandmother had a rent controlled lease on the fab apartment - which she was allowed to pass to relatives IF THEY WERE LIVING WITH YOU, which Monica wasn't and the super knew, and had her by the balls on it.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 2904/23/2013

Most cities.

NYC and LA might be easy to do, but when they've been more specific about a city, they get it wrong half the time.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3004/23/2013

Night time.

No matter the premise - there always seem to be giant klieg lights in the distance illuminating night time scenes. Especially jarring in forests. Obviously we as an audience need the lighting to see the action but it always gives the scenes an artificial feel.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3104/23/2013

Re R28, In Shameless (US) they are living more-or-less illegally in their dead aunt's house so I guess the rent issue is hand-waved, but they're supposed to have literally no money, and in spite of this there's a scene in every other episode showing someone in the kitchen, baking from scratch, and always with King Arthur flour! I understand it's a product placement thing but you'd think they could get a deal with a cheaper brand. And how much does this really happen in the homes of extremely poor city-dwellers?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3204/23/2013

High school. I hate all shows focused around high school students who have endless time to solve crimes, investigate supernatural events, and/or fall in love with vampires.

The way real children talk.

The sort of woman who actually marries the fat boring slobs always shown with a supermodel wife.

But... mostly I don't care. I watch TV to be entertained, not to see it replicate real life. Most of real life is boring as fuck.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3304/23/2013

And imagine if they cast 3-year-olds who actually sounded like 3-year-olds.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3404/23/2013

Anything set in Maine is invariably way off. Begins with the accents (Murder She Wrote) and ends with the depictions of winter blizzards (Stephen King's Storm of the Century).

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3504/23/2013

Checker cabs lived a much longer existence on the small and big screens than they did in real life.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3604/23/2013

Yeah, the coffee cup thing kills me. You'd think they would at least have some water in there.

Also, no matter how dramatic the case, most trials are boring and filled with dead air. But then, so is life and why would you want to see that?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3804/23/2013

Phone calls always end abruptly without a Goodbye.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 3904/23/2013

Teenagers who look late thirties.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4004/23/2013

Women who tuck the sheet under their armpits. The same woman who drags the sheet off the bed and carries it with her to the bathroom. Presumably they fucked and somehow he didn't see her cunt or tits?

Brown paper bags from the supermarket with French bread and celery sticking out. In real life it's usually plastic bags and never pretty.

Royalty is rarely correct. I've heard kings and queens addressed as "royal highness" instead of "your majesty" and princes and princes addressed as "your highness" when it's almost never just "highness" (except in some weird, extinct German princely families)

There aren't that many alleys in NYC.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4104/23/2013

Anything computer-related.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4204/23/2013

[quote]In my world, very few coworkers attend funeral services ; most show up at the visitation.

Geez, just how many of your coworkers have died?!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4304/23/2013

Luggage is always too light (just fill it up for real and have the actors deal with it realistically!)

This always gets me; soft-sided luggage that is obviously empty and the actors are swinging it around as if there was nothing in it, 'cause there isn't.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4404/23/2013

Church services, especially Protestant ones.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4504/23/2013

Driving!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4604/23/2013

Drug use. Drug user characters are ALWAYS predictable cliches (who are inevitably punished one way or another) and I'm yet to see an actor do x, opiate or stimulant intoxication convincingly.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4704/24/2013

The empty coffee cup thing makes me INSANE.

People meet at restaurant or bar, order a drink and then leave before it comes or before they finish. Why sit down if you are staying only 90 seconds?

Also, people ordering chinese food and eating it out of the container with chopsticks...in reality, most everyone puts food in a bowl or plate and uses regular silverware

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4804/24/2013

Medical show that barely have Asians (US born or foreign) in spite of them being overrepresented in STEM careers.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 4904/24/2013

"I'm yet to see an actor do x, opiate or stimulant intoxication convincingly."

What about in Saved by the Bell when whatshername was hooked on pep pills?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5004/24/2013

[quote] The sort of woman who actually marries the fat boring slobs always shown with a supermodel wife.

I used to think this was crazy unrealistic.

But apparently a lot of really attractive women either married the high school jock who got fat after HS, or they're chubby chasers, because in suburbia this is not as rare as you'd think.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5104/24/2013

School. Whenever the bell rings, the teacher always has something to say (and it's very specific), like, "Remember, your papers on the Civil War economy are due tomorrow!"

I never had a teacher do that. It was up to us to remember when our papers were due.

Or the teacher who walks around the classroom and is so enthusiastic. Most teachers I had taught for about 2/3 of the class and the last third sat at their desk while we got a headstart on our homework.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5204/24/2013

Greek last names. They just seem to make them up. Lots of syllables, put an "S" at the end.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5304/24/2013

[quote]Or the teacher who walks around the classroom and is so enthusiastic. Most teachers I had taught for about 2/3 of the class and the last third sat at their desk while we got a headstart on our homework.

Yes. On T.V., all teachers are enthusiastic and kind and always helping out their students. Nothing like in real life.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5404/24/2013

Writers.

On film and TV they are gorgeous, well-groomed (and if not, only because tossed hair and beard stubble makes them sexier), and usually have a plethora of hidden talents that turn them into charming heroes or antiheroes, with just enough adorable quirks to make them irresistible.

I wonder why that is.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5504/24/2013

[quote]On film and TV they are gorgeous, well-groomed (and if not, only because tossed hair and beard stubble makes them sexier), and usually have a plethora of hidden talents that turn them into charming heroes or antiheroes, with just enough adorable quirks to make them irresistible.

The same could be said about almost every film and TV character.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5604/24/2013

All law shows. Someone decides to sue someone and they're literally in court the next day. In real life the process takes months. And on TV all lawyers act like private investigators who show up at crime scenes and important locations to question people. In real life lawyers barely leave the office and you're lucky if they care enough to even return your calls.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5704/24/2013

[quote]Teenagers who look late thirties.

Yes. What is it with that? Late 30s is probably an exaggeration, but they usually look older than their stated age. This is especially true when they're showing groups of young people as in a high school hallway. Unless of course they're trying to show the teen as an individual meek victim in a crime show, then they get it closer to the right age.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5804/24/2013

Pickup artists (PUAs).

The recent shows chose straw-men who coulo be laughed at, as a deflection from the way a real PUA operates.

They show some guy striking out once, claim all PUAs know nothing, and never connect the dots when women cry about how they were fooled, played, etc.

It's done to string the masses along with false hope, to keep them playing the carnival game they call "love." To do otherwise would be to tell men that it would be a waste of their money to pursue "romance." Too many people would lose their jobs if this occurred.

A real PUA can pick women (or men) up in ways the media swears cannot be done. Gays are a bit ahead of straights here because they have to slip "under the radar" a lot (a term PUAs now use!).

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 5904/24/2013

I don't even understand what r59 is talking about.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6004/24/2013

[quote]Medical show that barely have Asians (US born or foreign) in spite of them being overrepresented in STEM careers.

True. TV is oh-so-PC when it comes to sticking CERTAIN groups in virtually everything, but asians? They must have pissed off the entertainment industry's ideological gatekeepers.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6104/24/2013

Gays are all effeminate and often unattractive.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6204/24/2013

r58 is true, they never get teens right - the language, demeanor, and expression are way off. No teen EVER presents himself that way in real life. The ridiculous exaggerated facial twitching and smiley wide-eyed expressions -- and the dialog usually sounds like something an alien would have concocted. Are the writers and directors never around real teens, or are they doing this deliberately?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6304/24/2013

Good lord, the word I used is an actual adjective and not a childish epithet.

eff em in ate

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6404/24/2013

r62 that word has been banned from this web site for about a year now.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6504/24/2013

[quote]depictions of winter blizzards (Stephen King's Storm of the Century)

Wasn't the premise of that miniseries that this was an unusual storm (hence the title)? It wasn't supposed to "get it right" since there was supposedly no real precedent for it.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6604/24/2013

r65, that's crazy. This place is like the international headquarters for effeminacy. I've honestly never seen anything close to DL in its zeal to create the illusion that homosexuality = effeminacy.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6704/24/2013

People transitioning to jobs so easily.

One of the worst cases is Rachel on "Friends" who went from serving coffee (her FIRST job) to becoming an executive with a desk in a very, very short amount of time.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6804/24/2013

R59,

Love how those who say that always assume it's the speaker's flaw.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 6904/24/2013

R68,

Hot chicks move up the ladder very fast.

R63,

Yes, chjildfren on TV are adultified, though some aren't as bad as others, and yes, it's deliberate. I know some teens who used to acct like the ones on TV *some* of the time. The "real" teen behavior is off-camera, I guess, skince the kids are rarely alone on camera.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7004/24/2013

Fighting.

Slow-motion punches, no gangups, no ambushes, three guys not splitting up and making it impossible to stop all at once, shooting the person rather than talking, etc.

In a real fight, if you waited even a second, you'd be deecked.

Also hypnosis, but that's deliberate too, ever since the Perry Mason episode where the audience went under.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7104/24/2013

Cholos are always laughable.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7204/24/2013

You have to admit there is a bit of speaker's flaw, r69. If nothing else, there are typos that make r59's message a bit murky.

[quote]They show some guy striking out once, claim all PUAs know nothing, and never connect the dots when women cry about how they were fooled, played, etc.

Not the clearest sentence, and a bit difficult to follow meaning, hidden or otherwise.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7304/24/2013

[quote]Yes, children on TV are adultified, though some aren't as bad as others, and yes, it's deliberate.

Children (age 9 and under) may be adultified, but teens are just the opposite. They have them spouting things and acting in ways that would embarrass any real teenager. Their dialog is lke an elderly person's idea of how a "modern" 10-year old would talk. Have you ever watched the Disney channel? It's like they picked these people from another planet.

But it's mostly a TV disease. Movies, at least the non-stupid ones, get it more accurate.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7404/24/2013

Bitchin', r74!!!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7504/24/2013

The people being questioned about suspects on a cop shows are always shown walking around their apartments, or place of employment, while they are being interviewed by the detectives!

Apparently these people are so busy, they can't simply stop what they're doing to answer questions. Not to mention the attitude some of them give to the detectives, as if that would be acceptable. What a load of crap!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7604/24/2013

In addition to the empty coffee cups and luggage, I'm always bothered by empty cabinets and drawers.

A character needs something in the kitchen. Open the cabinet and its the only thing in there.

When they open a drawer, you can hear that drawer is empty save for that one item. Drawers open differently when they're full vs when they're empty. And that sound is very noticeable.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7704/24/2013

It's not typos, it's horrible eyesight betraying a once-sharp mind.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7804/24/2013

Way too many, R43. But I'm ancient (practically 50!).

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 7904/24/2013

R26,

People who refer to coffee as a "cup of Joe" deserve to be shot.

Check yourself.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8004/24/2013

Show business, especially musicals.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8104/24/2013

People have TVs with some sort of "smartvision" that I've never seen on a real TV. For example, a character is concerned about the fate of a friend who's been missing for day... she will turn on the TV and the local news will be covering the story and will instantly be stating the specific information the character is interested in. It's sort of like psychic Googling with the remote control.

And of course after the TV news has stated the relevant information in about 10 seconds, the charater immediately shuts the TV off.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8204/24/2013

I agree with you R68 on people transitioning easily to jobs or careers. The Rachel example is a good one. Friday Nigh Lights did similar storylines with two characters. In season 1 of FNL, Tami becomes a high school guidance counselor after spending years as a stay at home mom. Two years later, she is promoted to high school principal. That storyline wasn't too bad, but the worse one was about Jason Street. In season 3, Jason is 19 or 20 and only has a GED. His departure storyline involved him getting a job at a sports agency after convincing a friend to sign with said agency. In real life, there is no a way someone without a college degree would become a sports agent. Many sports and entertainment agents have MBAs or law degrees.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8304/24/2013

Glee - the dalton academy is in worthington ohio near columbus - Glee mckinley is in Lima - hardly next door to each other. They are 100 miles apart. Also the weather. They had January in Lima with just lite coats no snow - uhh no it is crappy and snow.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8404/24/2013

Brand name labels on canned food items all seem to have the same white tape over each specific brand name on the labels.

What's the problem, the studio's art department can't simply create some fake labels?!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8504/24/2013

r58 Hollywood doesn't like to hire real teenagers since they have to contend with child labor rights and making sure the kids have to go to school. It ruins production schedules. These shows and movies should at least try to find 18 and 19 year olds rather than mid 20 year olds.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8604/24/2013

r61 By "certain" minorities I guess you are throwing stones at black Americans?? I am black, and I am annoyed by the underrepresentation of Asians in the US media, but I don't mean that to undermine or make fun of black actors or actresses.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8704/24/2013

In commercials credit cards are swiped with the bank logo upright on the left side. The magnetic stripe would never be read if you did this in the real world.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8804/24/2013

Another Glee problem is early in season 1, it was mentioned that Carmel High School was located in Akron, but the writers have always made it seem as the towns are right next to each other.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 8904/24/2013

Police station scenes

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9004/24/2013

Reality.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9104/24/2013

Movie Theaters! Usually so brightly lit you could not possibly see the image on the screen. Conversations carried on in street voices and yet only muffled noises from the imaginary movie. No one objects to the converstions. This setting almost never works and always looks fake.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9204/24/2013

who / whom

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9304/24/2013

People can talk at normal level volumes at a club, even on the dance floor

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9404/24/2013

If I "was"

Between "you and I"

Irritating expressions that no one uses in real life like "sis" (clumsy exposition especially during pilots) and "doing it" (censorship).

"If you come shopping with me, later I will (*whisper, whisper in husband's ear even though no one's around to hide the salaciousness from*). [There's gotta be a better way to imply raunch]

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9504/24/2013

Hudson University

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9604/24/2013

Mental / psychological disorders. People with schizophrenia, OCD, etc are so darned loveable and often have some special tic which enables them to help solve a crime. People with amnesia may forget their memory, including who they are, but yet they'll remember one key piece of information or suddenly regain something from the past ("I lived in house on Magnolia Drive! The house had a white picket fence!"). Dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder) is very rare and seldom diagnosed quickly.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9704/24/2013

Rachel, on "Friends," ascension up the ranks at Ralph Lauren was not believable on any level, other than some nepotism being involved, but that was never alluded to.

IIRC, she was a runaway bride, she came into Manhattan, then within a short amount of time has a top job at Ralph Lauren? IIRC, she was the head buyer? When did she attend FIT or Parson's, in her sleep?

I was an Art Director at a now defunct Manhattan Buying Office, all of the buyer's attended college, the fashion buyers definitely attended fashion related colleges.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9804/25/2013

Actors playing parents, who look only two years older than the actors playing their children.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 9904/25/2013

On "Seinfeld", wasn't Jerry already supposed to be fairly successful comedian? Then please explain why, of all the friends, Elaine had the nicest and largest of apartments?

Jerry lived in that small drab grey walled hovel for years, which many NY viewers assumed was in a rent controlled or rent stabilized building.

That aspect explained why someone like Kramer was able to have an apartment in Manhattan despite never appearing to work! Was Kramer's rent $50 a month?! Yes, there are some people in Manhattan still paying outrageously low rents, a relative in Kips Bay has an elderly neighbor who pays $65 a month! My relative's rent is actually quite low too.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10004/25/2013

R12, I don't lock my door when I leave, either. It's self-locking, same as every apartment I've ever lived in. You use your key to enter, but when you leave, the door locks behind you.

Since this is hardly a new or obscure concept I'm amazed you never considered that.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10104/25/2013

They fake a lot of technology. Ever see a computer screen on TV? The graphics are always fake looking, too large (so the camera captures them best) and the interface is wonky looking. Also those crime shows where they take grainy surveillance footage and blow it up 1000x so you can read the phone number on a business card from two blocks away? UTTER FANTASY.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10204/25/2013

Jerry was a working stand-up comedian. They don't make fortunes...even when they have Comedy Central specials (HBO yes, but that's usually because by then they have succeeded elsewhere).

The furthest his career got on "Seinfeld" was when he and George sold their concept to NBC. Hardly reason to move to Park Avenue yet, unless you're a fool.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10304/25/2013

Kitchen table scenes are just ridiculous.

Also, incongruous bathrooms... best example is when Blanche and Dorothy are at the Rusty Anchor singing songs on the bar, and it's kind of a dive bar... but then they go into the bathroom and the bathroom looks like it came right out of some kind of banquet house.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10404/25/2013

Jerry's apartment was actually pretty nice by NYC 1980's-1990's standards. Very typical of upper west side, pre-war, rent-stabalized types of apartments. People didn't give those apartments up so quickly, even if they started to make some more money. They gave them up when they got married or had kids.

And if you never lived on the upper west side of Manhattan, or the village, or anywhere, really, you wouldn't understand the Kramer type but they are a dime a dozen. Strange, single people, living in rent controlled apartments. Graduate high school, work 20 years for the City of NY and start collecting a pension at age 38. Live modestly... those days are over now... but this was not uncommon in the 60's and 70's when scoring a rent controlled apartment was easy.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10504/25/2013

Bold&Beautiful - come on how many fashion houses (Forrester, Spectra, Marone) and not one gay designer?? Hell have they had a gay storyline at all? Have they ever seen Project Runway? swing a dead cat and you hit a lesbian before you hit a straight man.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10604/25/2013

"Jerry's apartment was actually pretty nice by NYC 1980's-1990's standards. Very typical of upper west side, pre-war, rent-stabalized types of apartments. People didn't give those apartments up so quickly, even if they started to make some more money. They gave them up when they got married or had kids.

And if you never lived on the upper west side of Manhattan, or the village, or anywhere, really, you wouldn't understand the Kramer type but they are a dime a dozen. Strange, single people, living in rent controlled apartments. Graduate high school, work 20 years for the City of NY and start collecting a pension at age 38. Live modestly... those days are over now... but this was not uncommon in the 60's and 70's when scoring a rent controlled apartment was easy."

Jerry's apartment was hardly a "typical upper west side pre-war" type of apartment. Most pre-wars in any area of New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) have separate kitchens, living rooms and these rooms are usually separated by entrance hallways big enough to set up a small office! A friend in Jackson Heights has huge seven room pre-war with an entrance hall larger than some Manhattan studios.

Pre-war set-ups are more in line with Elaine's apartment.

I have many friends, and family members, living in huge pre-war apartments in the city, Brooklyn and Queens, most DO NOT have open plan layouts like Jerry's apartment.

Their living rooms don't open into the kitchen, certainly not in an un-renovated pre-war, that's a fact. I live in a 50+ year old post war co-op, the apartment is a boxy set up with a large open plan dining room and living room area, it's very loft like, this is not true of old pre-war apartments. Jerry's apartment is more tenement like than a true pre-war.

As for Kramer, it was never explained the job he might have had, be it city/state or otherwise, the running joke was that Kramer doesn't work.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10704/25/2013

R33 and R51, Kevin James actually married a former model. He's always been heavy so she knew what she was getting when she married him.

R98, Rachel Green, I believe, went from Central Perk waitress to a personal shopper. Jennifer Aniston was dating Tate Donovan at the time and he was her customer. She went from there to a buyer a Bloomingdale's (Alison LaPlaca was her boss at one point). From there she got to Ralph Lauren. I think (but don't know for sure) she went to college and at least took some fashion courses but I don't know if she graduated.

I watch episodes on Nick @ Nite before I fall asleep.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10804/25/2013

Crack cop teams that forget to send someone to cover the backdoor or fire exit, so there can be a pointlessly exciting chase scene in the middle of the episode. Numb3rs used to do this all the time, but the CSI and NCIS franchises also do it a lot.

Oh, and any special episode set in Britain is ALWAYS jaw-droppingly ludicrous, especially when actual British actors are made to speak is straage strangulated accents.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 10904/25/2013

Multi ethnic gangs.

TV also never gets Vampires right.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11004/25/2013

And for some reason, they always seem to think Britain is stuck in the 1800's.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11104/25/2013

[quote] Jerry's apartment was hardly a "typical upper west side pre-war" type of apartment. Most pre-wars in any area of New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) have separate kitchens, living rooms and these rooms are usually separated by entrance hallways big enough to set up a small office! A friend in Jackson Heights has huge seven room pre-war with an entrance hall larger than some Manhattan studios.

Uh, no. Not in Manhattan. Those prewar apartments on both the UES and the UWS were chopped up into smaller units starting in the late 1970s, unless they were on Park, West End, Riverside Drive or unless they were rent controlled and lived in by Manya.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11204/25/2013

Houses and apartments have Useless Steps so that the star can make an entrance and people can clap for a second or two before dialog starts. Take a look at The Odd Couple, All in the Family, Family Ties -- there's always a platform or two steps at the inside of the front door leading into the living area. Who has a platform or a two step stairway leading into their living room?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11304/25/2013

Double Hacking!!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11404/25/2013

Carrie Bradshaw, who writes a little column in a paper, is somehow an uber-famous jet setter with an amazing flat and a wardrobe rivalling Anna Wintour.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11504/25/2013

By the time you exit the cab, you have already paid.

But in TV and movies you always see the passenger get out of the cab, and then hand the cabbie money, through his driver's side window, and not asking for change.

In real life, if you pulled this shit, the cabbie would scream at you in his fake NYC accent, AND you would get hit by oncoming traffic whooshing by the driver's side window.

DUH.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11604/25/2013

"Murder, She Wrote" was particularity guilty of that one, R116. Jessica would always just hop out of her cab and carry on her merry way.

In fact, it was guilty of many of these flaws.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11704/25/2013

Maine accents are always always wrong. In every Stephen King movie, and in every episode of Murder She Wrote.

In reality, the accent is actually more subtle, yet more specific as to the vowels, than it's portrayed by Hollywood.

Fun fact: Murder She Wrote was filmed in Mendocino, California, since it looks somewhat like a Maine coastline and features a lighthouse.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11804/25/2013

"Uh, no. Not in Manhattan. Those prewar apartments on both the UES and the UWS were chopped up into smaller units starting in the late 1970s, unless they were on Park, West End, Riverside Drive or unless they were rent controlled and lived in by Manya."

I guess we are talking about different types of pre-war apartments. I still see Jerry's place as more of a tenement style than an actual pre-war.

The pre-wars which would be rented to the general public, IE: not the pre-wars where professionals or wealthy people lived on Park, Fifth and Central Park West etc, might have be "chopped up" to accommodate more income for the owners, which is the main reason why large apartments are cut up.

The pre-wars I am talking about are still spacious and would never have an open plan area like Jerry had on the show.

There are still ton of large pre wars as I described in the city, Brooklyn and Queens. Jackson Heights is known for it's huge pre-wars, these apartments were never cut up, even when the rents were much lower. My friend in Jackson Heights had lived in their huge apartment as a tenant, when the building went co-op their insider price was $30,000.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 11904/25/2013

On [italic]Murder, She Wrote[/italic] the average conversation was like this:

Jessica: "How do you do?"

Jessica: Asks inappropriate and overly personal question that no one ever finds odd.

Person she's just met: Answers inappropriate and overly personal question that no one ever answer without being taken aback that a complete stranger would even ask such a bizarre question.

Jessica: Asks another inappropriate and overly personal question that no one ever finds odd.

Person she's just met: Again answers.

Jessica then has a revelation and suddenly runs out of the room.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12004/25/2013

[quote]Kevin James actually married a former model

I don't think it fair to use Kevin James as a "real-life" example of how fat guys can be married to gorgeous women - considering he married Stefania de la Cruz in 2004, at which time his TV stardom was bigger than his suit size and his bankroll was fatter than his waist. Plus, he's actually a pretty sexy guy - nothing ugly or gross about him.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12104/25/2013

Actually, in real life, it is usually the reverse- this relatively hot guy that is married to a fat slob. She was probably good looking when they were first married, but let herself go after the first kid.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12204/25/2013

R122, that's a DL myth. Not saying it never happens (and I've seen it too) but by far it's straight women who work to maintain their looks married to utter schlubs that are in the majority, not the reverse. And when I see an overweight woman with a hot hubby and 2-3 little kids or toddlers, I cut her some slack. Though I'd still gladly blow her hot hubby.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12304/25/2013

High school teachers in Lima, Ohio paying for all kinds of things out of their personal salaries, including in one case, expensive medical equipment from abroad bought for a kid the teacher hardly knows.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12404/25/2013

Computer hacking is easy, effortless, and takes no time.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12504/25/2013

Criminals are always after the police who are after them. I have never seen a real life case where a serial killer is obsessed with the police who are on their case.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12604/25/2013

Police are dedicated to fairness, they're nice, they're well-dressed, they treat people with respect.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12704/25/2013

Cops tasting cocaine.

No one ever sits on one side of the kitchen table.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12804/25/2013

[quote] The pre-wars which would be rented to the general public, IE: not the pre-wars where professionals or wealthy people lived on Park, Fifth and Central Park West etc, might have be "chopped up" to accommodate more income for the owners, which is the main reason why large apartments are cut up

Which is exactly the type of prewar Jerry would live in. Most "pre-wars" are rented to "the general public." You'd be surprised how many people brag about living in a prewar and you picture something lovely in your mind and.. it's just a prewar building. Former SROs are advertised as prewars. Just because it means something different to realtors than it means to landlords doesn't make it different in reality.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 12904/25/2013

No, r122 is right - at least where I'm from.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13004/25/2013

PreWAR PREwar, pre-war prewar zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13104/25/2013

[quote]Also hypnosis, but that's deliberate too, ever since the Perry Mason episode where the audience went under.

Link, please.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13204/25/2013

[quote] Criminals are always after the police who are after them. I have never seen a real life case where a serial killer is obsessed with the police who are on their case

Also, cops are always hot on the trail of brilliant serial killers.

Virtually all serial killers are no more brilliant than they are tracking the police who are hunting them. They are mostly guys who kill and dump prostitutes. Even serial killers who kill males mostly kill hustlers and drifters. It's rare that a serial killer isn't a kind of marginal guy barely making a living.

And most cops find out about serial killers accidentally, like Joel Rifkin being pulled over for a broken tail light, or a cop training a police dog who happens to find a decomposed body that leads to more decomposed bodies on a beach. In neither case did cops even know there was a serial killer on the loose, nor did they care. I means seriously, do you want your tax dollars being spent by the tens of millions of $$ looking for the bodies and killers of drug-addicted girls who advertise on Craig's List?

You wouldn't have heard of the Long Island beach bodies if there hadn't been people with cellphone cameras at the beach that day who noticed a lot of cops on the scene, took photos and sent them to Newsday. It would have been a paragraph on page 18 instead of on the front page when the first body was found.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13304/25/2013

Everyone drinks coffee all day but very seldom is anyone seen making it.

The cast of Cougar Town drinks gallons of red wine but everyong has pearly white teeth.

People seem to sit around all day and don't go to work. There was one episode of Friends where they all say how much their bosses hate them or something to that effect. Joey says, "Maybe its because you're all sitting here (meaning Central Perk) at 11 AM on a WEDNESDAY!"

Other than on L&O episodes, the weather is ALWAYS sunny and warm.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13404/25/2013

Unless you film in BC, R134. In which case, if you're Sam and Dean Winchester and travel all over the country, every single state will have gloomy, wet weather and be very muddy.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13504/25/2013

[quote]I means seriously, do you want your tax dollars being spent by the tens of millions of $$ looking for the bodies and killers of drug-addicted girls who advertise on Craig's List?

Yes.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13604/25/2013

Eating and drinking is a problem, often they never do it realistically or mime it - especially on TV - which is hugely distracting. Ugh.

Cultural references can be laid on a bit too thick, with unrealistic dialogue that you would never hear IRL.

On the other hand, I don't mind product placement unless it's really obtrusive and cackhanded. It adds a bit of realism cause these things are in real life. One hilarious one though was for Bing in Source Code.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13704/25/2013

Phone numbers begin with 555

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13804/25/2013

R138, they do it to keep viewers from calling real phone numbers.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 13904/25/2013

[quote]People seem to sit around all day and don't go to work

or if they are at work, they don't do much other than ... sit around all day and yap (TAXI, DESIGNING WOMEN, CHEERS, LOVE & WAR, IT'S A LIVING, ETC)

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14004/25/2013

[quote]they do it to keep viewers from calling real phone numbers.

That's incredibly stupid. They're not under any obligation to be a nanny.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14104/25/2013

Jenny, your number had to be withdrawn/canceled in most areas of the nation, including Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14204/25/2013

Punk rock. They're all drug addled, violent, stupid, homophobic nazis. Think Quincy, CHiPs, any after school specials, Tipper Gore. PMRC

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14304/25/2013

R141, if my phone number was used on a TV show and I got deluged by crazies, you can bet I would sue. It's not "nanny," it's common sense.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14404/25/2013

When calling someone on the phone, the caller starts speaking a nanosecond after the last digit of phone number is dialed. I know they don't want a lot of dead air but at least pause a little bit before speaking.

Night scenes, the road is always sprayed with water. A couple of puddles here and there are often included too.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14504/25/2013

Almost no brown people ever shown in shots of LA!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14604/25/2013

Bad guys always hide in back seat and the car is parked in a lonely dark parking lot. I mean, even with my Silverado Crew Cab, I can spot if there is anyone hiding in the back seat from at least 10 feet away. Unless the villain is rabit-size, now, try to hide anything bigger than that on the back seat in a Honda.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14704/25/2013

They rarely show large families arguing over the bathroom. I guess the assumption is that every house has more than one but still, I had 5 siblings plus my grandfather living in one house and there was very frequent long waits to get a bathroom. Sometimes you had to hold your breath too after someone finishe because they 'destroyed' the bathroom with a horrible shit. THAT never happens on TV.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14804/25/2013

One TV show that got several things wrong when it comes to high school and sports was One Tree Hill. -school dances would be held and the next day there was school -students were allowed to join the high school basketball team towards the end of the season -there were never any other sports teams besides basketball at the school -students would miss a lot of school and never had deal with truancy consequences

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 14904/25/2013

[quote]Sometimes you had to hold your breath too after someone finishe because they 'destroyed' the bathroom with a horrible shit. THAT never happens on TV.

The only time I ever saw it was on Sons of Anarchy. Jax comes out of the bathroom as Gemma is cleaning his bedroom and he tells her not to go in there anytime soon. It was pretty funny and normal.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15004/25/2013

Acting drunk. Nobody ever acts drunk convincingly.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15104/25/2013

i agree in shows set in the work place, they rarely worked. and alot times there seemed to be nobody minding the store when they characters went out on wacky adventures. In Designing Women, Charlene always went to the jobs with the others, even though she was the secretary..Logic would say she should of stayed in the office answering phones. A lot of episodes of Cheers, the whole gang went somewhere. Who was running the bar? Cheers looked like a fairly big bar that was open much of the day and night. Yet they only had one bartender, a waitress and two managers. Did Woody and Carla work everyday from day time til 2 am? that would be extremely exhausting working there!

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15204/26/2013

Prior to mid-60s, the 555 exchange in movies and TV was KLondike 5.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15304/26/2013

lol

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15404/26/2013

"Designing Women" was just full of flaws.

It seemed as though Mary Jo was late to work practically everyday. Every second episode opens with her walking in the door and saying, "Sorry I'm late". In the real world, Julia would've fired her Mary Jo during the first season.

The set was also probably the most TV like, I've ever seen. Did Julia's just have one giant wall? It looks nothing like that on the outside.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15504/26/2013

Both in hospital and crime shows, everyone is always single or if they are married, their marriage is crumbling. the exteriors of the houses never match the interior.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15604/26/2013

access to federal law enforcement offices - TV shows have civilians walking directly into the office area and confronting agents or attorneys at their desks. This does not happen in real life. If you're not assigned to that office, you will be escorted in by an employee. You present yourself to the receptionist who calls the person you're there to meet. You wait in reception until that person comes for you.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15704/26/2013

On Designing Women, Julia's house looked like it was a nice neighborhood, yet there was a news stand down the block and a parking garage and other urban things mentioned

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15804/26/2013

[quote]On Designing Women, Julia's house looked like it was a nice neighborhood, yet there was a news stand down the block and a parking garage and other urban things mentioned

I wondered, how were they able to see the newsstand Julia crashed into, from the front door? Was it just across the street? That urban, New York style, red brick newsstand would look odd on a residential street like that.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 15904/26/2013

[quote]It seemed as though Mary Jo was late to work practically everyday. Every second episode opens with her walking in the door and saying, "Sorry I'm late". In the real world, Julia would've fired her Mary Jo during the first season.

Mary Jo was a partner in the firm.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16004/26/2013

[quote] she should of

Oh, dear.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16104/26/2013

You people are taking this shit way too seriously.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16204/26/2013

On old crime shows when a detective stopped a nurse in a hospital parking lot she was always wearing a cap.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16304/26/2013

R163, What is wrong wit that? My mother wore hers home. Some nurses removed them once the got in the car, but I don't remember anyone leaving them at the hospital. Those caps were not hospital uniforms, but indications of the nursing school from which the nurse graduated. Nurses valued them very highly. Also, this was not at a time when a nurse would leave a hospital and go shopping. You went home and changed. Heck, we even had to go home and change after school. There was a very clear distinction between school clothes and play clothes.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16404/26/2013

"In which case, if you're Sam and Dean Winchester and travel all over the country, every single state will have gloomy, wet weather and be very muddy."

LOL. I have friends who watch this show. It's funny how every state looks the same.

"It's rare that a serial killer isn't a kind of marginal guy barely making a living."

Yeah, serial killers in movies and tv are always rich, brilliant doctors or whatever, or criminal masterminds who love taunting the police...in real life they are relatively unaccomplished (even the ones who have above average IQs) and usually don't contact the police at all

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16504/26/2013

I don't mind this one. But, I'll mention it anyway.

"Very Special Episodes" where the topic is forgotten about in the next episode.

On [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] alone, Dorothy's CFS, Sophia's friend in the bad retirement home, Sophia's friend trying to kill herself.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16604/26/2013

They get the typical suburban home wrong alot. Many (but not all) middle class people have an outer door that opens outwards before the inner heavier door. I never see that on TV.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16704/26/2013

[quote]That's incredibly stupid.

Oh, R141? Then give us your phone number. We'll pass it along to every screen writer on earth with your permission to insert it into any of their works. Just for that added "realness".

Let us know how that works out...by email. I have a feeling your phone might be out of commission for a while.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16804/26/2013

Do people really call the numbers they see on TV shows?

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 16904/26/2013

shut up, hypersensitive rule-following nanny at r168.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17004/26/2013

R141 is the reason WHY they use fake numbers and addresses.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17104/26/2013

Poverty. The only one that ever got it right was whoever did the heartbreaking made for TV film "God Bless the Child." I still cry when I think about it and cry even more thinking that things have actually gotten so much worse for the poor since this 1988 film.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17204/26/2013

[quote]Do people really call the numbers they see on TV shows?

Of course they do, and they actually expect it to be the actor's phone number. You'll never go wrong assuming there are many people who are either that stupid or delusional.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17304/26/2013

The nuclear physicist or district attorney who is a 22 year old gorgeous blonde.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17404/27/2013

Make-up and hair. This is more apparent in TV than movies where it always exists.

The cast of Friends look like they've stepped out of the salon and don't get me started on that stupid Aniston hair.

The clown make-up look is in (heavier make-up seems to be more the thing in America compared to the dowdy deglam British shows), often really red lipstick is plastered on that only a hooker would wear IRL.

You have to have a certain suspension of disbelief and the worst is when you spot make-up on men, so annoying and distracting. Most of these people don't look realistic. Usually though, you don't think of the exaggerated flawless grooming.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17505/05/2013

I think someone may have mentioned it already but I'm always amused by the ultra-intelligent hacker who can control any and all computer systems. On "Bones" they had a villain who changed the traffic lights in downtown Washington DC, causing gridlock for blocks. As if drivers wouldn't recognize there was something wrong the lights and attempt to go through them on their own? The guy could also view live footage from any security camera with pinpoint accuracy.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17605/06/2013

Yellow rotary phones in shows set in the 60s and 70s.

They weren't that common. Beige and white, were.

Also maybe someone should tell them that touch tone was available from 1964, not 1984.

Thanks.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17705/06/2013

The lighting in a bar or club scene. It's NEVER dark, or even very dim.

Bars and clubs are never REALLY crowded in crowd scenes.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17805/06/2013

Good guys always get their gun back if it gets dropped, knocked out of their hand or whatever bad guys are always SO easy to disarm.

Good guys rarely run out of bullets and even seem to have an endless supply of bullets in their guns and even if the gunfight happens in a very unexpected place, or way, the good guy was smart enough to have brought endless extra ammo clips

Good guys rarely miss (even when their target is running) and bad guys rarely hit their targets.

When a good guy does gets shot they don't seem to feel it until they've won the gunfight. Then they go from an all athletic ass kicker to nearly dead within about 3 seconds as their partner/lover screams at them to "hang on" as if they have a choice whether they live or die. Bad guys get shot and are instantly dead.

They can be fighting to the death one minutes then there is some kind of an invisible time out called and the good guy and bad guy back off for a moment to catch their breath and maybe exchange a few words to explain and move the plot line forward.

When the good guy is fighting more than one bad guy the bad guys hang back and wait their turn to one by one get their asses kicked by the good guy

The bad guy always explains why he did the things he did right before he's arrested or dies

On medical and crime shows they get near instant lab work results and overnight DNA test results.

A woman, who has no prior experience, can take the most worn down kitchen scissors and in less than 5 minutes give herself an amazingly even and most often attractive hair cut when they are going thru once in a lifetime levels of stress. That person can also dye and dry their hair in about 20 minutes in some gas station bathroom with a shallow sink.

Women magically wake up with their make up done, or still on from their night before. Their hair is rarely more than a bit disheveled and usually in a sexy way, unless it's in a comedy, then one side will be sticking straight up.

Just about the only time someone spills a drink it's some guy dropping it, or having it dropped, on his crotch as hilarity ensues

When being asked what a customer wants to drink, they say 'beer' as if there's only ever been one brand of beer

When a show is filmed the southeast part of the US in the warmer months but it's some magical version of the southeast with no fire ants, clouds of flying bugs, and absolutely no humidity.

Except for on late evening cable, sex or post sex scenes always have the woman wearing a bra or camisole even with a sheet tucked all up under their armpits. I saw a post sex scene on something the other day and it took me a minute to realize why it was odd to see implied complete nudity.

Sex scenes where the couple is having sex in the missionary position but the guys hips stay pretty much at the level of the partner's bent knee, like the guy has a two foot long dick.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 17905/07/2013

The city where the show is set gets every natural disaster there is. If a show is set in Chicago, Chicago get tornadoes, wild fires, earthquakes, and hurricanes. and when someone's house or business is wrecked by these disasters, it is fixed in a day. In Valerie, their house burnt down, and it was rebuilt by the next episode.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 18005/12/2013

On Friends, New York seemed very bright and Sunny all the time...I can't even recall if there was an episode that dealt with them in the snow or any type of miserable weather.and they must of never had to go far, because i can't recall them ever taking the subway. and would they really be always hanging out at Central Perk..I am not sure there are small independent coffee houses in Manhattan.. Starbucks is pretty much on every corner...

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 18105/12/2013

in shows set in New York, the apartments are always huge, with several bedrooms, a full living room, dining room and kitchen. h

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 18205/12/2013

Female cops with big pageant hair and pageant bodies, and spare time for the upkeep.

by Bea Arthur's Caftan reply 18305/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.