Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES, 4/21/13, "And Now His Watch has Ended"

The Night's Watch exchanges information.

Cersei and Olenna Tyrell exchange words.

And Khaleesi exchanges a chain for a whip.

This is an episode NOT to miss, especially if you've been complaining there's not been enough action yet this season.

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2013

Who was that guy Varys was keeping in the crypt? That was not clear to me. Was it the sorcerer who castrated him as a boy?

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

Lady Margaery has become like Lady Diana: more beloved than the royal family she's marrying into. As such, she's a menace to Cersei.

They really spent a fortune on the set for the interior of the Great Sept of Baelor in King's landing. But they're going to need to use it in seasons to come.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Long live Lady Maergery!

And, um, King Joffrey!

---

So fun seeing Cersei's face as she became a distant memory in the minds of the men and women of King's Landing.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

Yes, R2. That was the sorcerer who castrated Varys.

What wasn't clear to me is who Tyrion wants killed. Cersei?

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

LMAO at Tywin telling of Cersei.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Poor Sansa. She has no idea what she'd be in for with marrying Loras. But at least he'd be much nicer to her than Joffrey ever would, and she'd be far safer in Highgarden than in King's landing.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Khaleesi is fucking BAD-ASS!

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Like the first episode, Maergery won a few battles, but Dany won the war (meaning she owned this episode).

Overall, tonight's episode was my favorite out of all 3 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Yes, this was a good episode.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Big things really big happened (the deaths of Jeor Mormont and Craster, plus Khaleesi's kiling of the slavemasters of Astapor and the conquest of it). And we had big scenes between Varys and Diana Rigg (openly being bitchy) and Cersei and Diana Rigg (covertly being bitchy). Plua we got to see Sansa smile openly for the first time since... forever.

Could not have been better.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

It was pretty neat, but I thought the dragon scene was a bit rushed. I was expecting more out of the fact that Danny understood what they guy had been saying all along, and it was the dragon's first big rampage, so I hoping for a little more Helter Skelter out of him.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

R12, it wasn't the dragon's first big rampage. Remember the incident in Qarth?

The salvemaster had been calling Dany bitch, cunt and everything in between over the past few episodes. Once she the army was in her possession, what more did she have to say to him?

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

I know there's a perfectly good reason why Dany should have grown up knowing the same language as the slavemaster and he would not know that, but could someone explain to me again why that is?

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

This was possibly the best hour of television I have seen this season.

Diana Rigg is a goddess. She better be claiming an Emmy come September.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

r15, trust, there's more fine hours to come this season. Speaking as one who read the books, you haven't seen anything yet. :-)

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

Some really nice graphics around the Astapor scene. The dragons make it look almost like an action movie.

But Diana Rigg was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

Sansa doesn't really care about sex. She wants romance, pretty dresses, parties, poetry and gallant men. She also doesn't seem to realize that if Robb dies, she becomes the heiress of Winterfell (since everyone assumes that Bran and Rickon are dead).

BTW, what was the whole point of taking Theon out of there, only to bring him back? Just to fuck with him?

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

R18, Yes, fucking with Theon was the point.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

[quote]I know there's a perfectly good reason why Dany should have grown up knowing the same language as the slavemaster and he would not know that, but could someone explain to me again why that is?

Because the high lords of Essos speak High Valyrian. Dany is a Targaryen. The Targaryens were originally from Old Valyria. Get it now?

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

What I love about this show is that the dialogue driven scenes are just as magnificent as the more epic battle scenes.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

Really fantastic episode. Beric is great, Dianna Rigg was great. I love the new sets this season, really stepped up a notch from last season. Dany's scene was perfect. It makes up for a less than stellar house of the undying scene last year.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

[quote]BTW, what was the whole point of taking Theon out of there, only to bring him back? Just to fuck with him?

In a word --Yes. Without giving away too much, Theon is in for a world of pain.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

Lord Varys is terrifying in a very quiet way. His scenes are always a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

Yes, keep your eyes on Theon if you can bear it.

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

Someone really really really hates Theon

by Anonymousreply 2604/21/2013

In the thread for last week's episode, someone alluded to a scene that was their favorite from the books. I didn't read the spoiler, but this episode was so full of awesome moments that I had a hard time figuring out which scene the poster was referring to. My favorite moments:

* Lady Olenna wrapping Cersei around her little finger (and not Lord Baelish)

* Varys revealing the sorcerer (his castrator) who he'd been holding captive

* Lady Maergery basking in the peoples' love

* Sansa and Maergery's talk (as well as Sansa's joy at the prospect of marrying Loras)

* Dany proving yet again that she has balls of iron...I watched her final scenes 3 or 4 times

* Craster's murder

* Tywin seeing right through Cersei's attempted manipulation and basically calling her a stupid brat

* No Shae (I don't care for her even though she's done an admirable job protecting Sansa and showing Tyrion a love he'd never known before)

by Anonymousreply 2704/21/2013

r27, I was referring to the Dany scene. The way George R.R. Martin wrote it, you really believed Dany was giving up one of her dragons and that she had no idea of the foul things the Slaver was really saying about her. When she open up the can of dragon/Unsullied whup-ass, it was a moment where I actually jumped with glee. I haven't seen the episode yet but from I'm reading, it was very, very well done.

My Mom is hooked on this show and she called me up and said, "That Dany is a bad bitch." I can't wait to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2804/21/2013

Does anyone else notice that any scene involving Tywin and one of his children is guaranteed to be awesome??? Tywin and Cersei's first real scene together did not disappoint! This man has royally fucked up all three of his offspring. Good job, Ty-Ty!

by Anonymousreply 2904/21/2013

Great acting tonight not just from Diana Rigg (always superb) but from especially the twentysomething actors: Natalie Dormer (who's like Kate Middleton, only more obviously manipulative), Sophie Turner (her best scene since the first season), Emila Clarke, and especially Alfie Allen. Lena Headey (who is considerably older) was also great in her scene with her father.

by Anonymousreply 3004/21/2013

By far the best dialogue tongiht:

OLENNA (discussing Sansa with Varys): "She's an interesting girl!"

VARYS: "She [italic]is[/italic]???"

OLENNA (being honest): "No..." (recovering) "Still, she's had an interesting childhood!"

by Anonymousreply 3104/21/2013

R28, I agree with everything you wrote in the previous thread. That scene made tonight's episode. I also agree with R30 that the acting tonight was strong all around...even Joffrey, Cersei, and Jamie showed different sides that made them far more tolerable than in past episodes. I don't necessary think Tywin has fucked up Jamie per se, but he definitely doesn't think much of Cersei or Tyrion (one for being a woman, the other for "killing" his beloved wife).

I will say that as much as I like Lady Olenna (as portrayed by Diana Rigg), the bitchy asides have the potential of getting old fast. She was touted as being a character who would teach her granddaughter the art of navigating palace intrigue; however, I hope she's capable of more than looking out for Sansa's well-being/berating her servants, son, and husband.

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2013

I don't think that Lady Olenna is so much looking out for Sansa as she is realizing that she is a game piece to be played.

by Anonymousreply 3304/21/2013

Maergery and Lady Olenna are cunning, but I don't get the feeling that they're completely lacking in compassion. Everyone and their mother sees Sansa as a pawn...but it speaks volumes that the matriarch of a powerful family would spend her time and energy on side projects when her granddaughter still needs to make it down the altar.

by Anonymousreply 3404/21/2013

[quote]Varys revealing the sorcerer (his castrator) who he'd been holding captive

Badass either way, but has he been holding him, or did he just arrive in that crate?

by Anonymousreply 3504/22/2013

I really hate the character of Ros and don't understand her inclusion on the show. She takes away precious air time for more important characters.

by Anonymousreply 3604/22/2013

Excellent episode!

I wonder why they are continuing the Podrick-as-sex-god subplot?

by Anonymousreply 3704/22/2013

Noah Taylor plays The Goat. He also played the teenaged David Helfgott in Shine. He's an excellent actor.

by Anonymousreply 3804/22/2013

Varys was prominent throughout the episode, which is always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 3904/22/2013

What I find interesting is that, yes Cersei is being paranoid, but she is right on the mark with her feelings.

by Anonymousreply 4004/22/2013

Olenna is ten steps ahead of everyone, even Varys. Sansa is one of the most valuable pieces in the game, not only because she's (as far as anyone knows) the likely heir to Winterfell after Robb (since everyone thinks Bran and Rickon are dead), but also because she's so naive.

by Anonymousreply 4104/22/2013

The sorcerer isn't in the books. Where are they going with this?

by Anonymousreply 4204/22/2013

[quote]Everyone and their mother sees Sansa as a pawn...but it speaks volumes that the matriarch of a powerful family would spend her time and energy on side projects when her granddaughter still needs to make it down the altar

R34, you are as naive as Sansa if you think Lady Olenna is doing anything out of compassion. As R41 states, Lady O is running the show @ Kings Landing at the moment. A marriage between her grandson (Maergery's brother) and Sansa would form a powerful alliance between their two families. BTW--his gayness is of no importance to anyone in the high stakes game of royal matchmaking. He only needs to get drunk, close his eyes and pretend he's with a hot guy a few times so can get Sansa pregnant with an heir and a spare.

Would love to see Olenna lock horns with Tywin Lannister. He's no slouch either and he likely knows her reputation as a cunning mastermind. He would consider her a worthy adversary.

Would love to see Tywin meet up with Arya again too. I enjoyed their sparring.

by Anonymousreply 4304/22/2013

[quote]Would love to see Olenna lock horns with Tywin Lannister. He's no slouch either and he likely knows her reputation as a cunning mastermind. He would consider her a worthy adversary.

Except she's a woman, so he would automatically consider her far beneath him.

by Anonymousreply 4404/22/2013

[quote]The sorcerer isn't in the books. Where are they going with this?

In the books everyone's always thinking about how much actual power that Varys has, but here he has up until now just seemed like a busybody with a mellifluous voice. This establishes he actually has power (and that he can be genuinely vengeful). I doubt we'll see the sorcerer again.

by Anonymousreply 4504/22/2013

R45, does he have power in some way because he has the sorcerer?

by Anonymousreply 4604/22/2013

[quote]The sorcerer isn't in the books. Where are they going with this?

I think it was simply to demonstrate the meticulousness and patience that Varys has in exacting revenge against others. It shows the audience that while everyone else is playing war with their toy soldiers, Varys is playing the long game strategy and has been quietly doing so for decades.

Varys and Littlefinger control Westeros. The game has been between these two moving everyone else around the board like chess pieces.

by Anonymousreply 4704/22/2013

[quote][R45], does he have power in some way because he has the sorcerer?

No. Varys hates magic.

He sewed up the sorcerer's mouth to stop him from using any chants or spells.

by Anonymousreply 4804/22/2013

[quote]Olenna is ten steps ahead of everyone, even Varys. Sansa is one of the most valuable pieces in the game [/quote]

Not that I don't love Olenna, but it was Varys that was suggesting to her they pair off Sansa with the Tyrells.

Amazing, amazing episode. All the scenes of the players at King's Landing were gold and the new sets were fantastic. Damn, this show looks amazing.

Of course the death of Commander Mormont and Dany getting her army were the big set pieces and they did not disappoint. Emilia Clarke was badass as hell speaking Valyrian and she completely convinced me this fictional language was her mother tongue.

[quote]Except she's a woman, so he would automatically consider her far beneath him.[/quote]

Tywin respected Arya and he made it clear that his lack of respect for Cersei has nothing to do with her gender. Tywin is certainly smart enough to do that as a woman Olenna has to use her power behind the scenes since she can't rule in her own right as he can but that doesn't mean he wouldn't respect her. Tywin respects those who show they are worthy of his respect.

My only complaint is the Podrick the virgin sex god thing which was silly.

by Anonymousreply 4904/22/2013

[quote]Not that I don't love Olenna, but it was Varys that was suggesting to her they pair off Sansa with the Tyrells.

I beg to differ. Varys approached Oleanna because he learned that she had a meeting with Sansa. He knew there would be no other reason for Lady O to arrange that little tea unless she had plans for the match. He suggested nothing to Oleanna that she hadn't already worked out on her own. All he did was offer to facilitate the scheme.

by Anonymousreply 5004/22/2013

r50 is correct. Olenna is three steps ahead of Varys.

by Anonymousreply 5104/22/2013

Olenna and Tywin, as brilliant as they are, are still pawns in the greater game being played between Varys and Littlefinger. These two men have many tricks and plans within plans.

Did it ever occur to you that it is Varys' agenda to have the Lannisters and the Tyrells at each others throats?

by Anonymousreply 5204/22/2013

Vary's agenda, personal feelings aside, is to preserve the kingdom. Also, Dorne has yet to come into play, which is going to be fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 5304/22/2013

r52, have you read the books?

by Anonymousreply 5404/22/2013

I can't wait to see how they do the Martell family and the kingdom of Dorne. They are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 5504/22/2013

My fear about the Martells is that their introduction could overwhelm the casual viewer, who already has to try and remember this huge cast of characters. I am looking forward to them though. This topic is probably better suited for the spoiler thread.

by Anonymousreply 5604/22/2013

We haven't yet seen Varys preparing the way for the return of the Targaryens, have we? He really is a piece of work. Unlike Olenna, he thinks in global terms; she may have the better of him in Westeros politics, but he is already thinking far beyond.

I'm not sure, however, that Varys really understands what's going on beyond the Wall, however.

by Anonymousreply 5704/22/2013

"Dorne has yet to come into play"

I am WEASEL!

by Anonymousreply 5804/22/2013

[quote]My fear about the Martells is that their introduction could overwhelm the casual viewer, who already has to try and remember this huge cast of characters.

But remember that by the time they introduce House Martell, many of the characters that are prominent now will have been gone....

by Anonymousreply 5904/23/2013

The Martells won't be introduced until the 5th season, and we're still in the 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 6004/23/2013

r61, actually I think Oberyn Martell will need to be introduced in the 4th season.

by Anonymousreply 6104/23/2013

I wish all you guys who have read the books would keep it in the spoiler thread instead of trying to dazzle us with your inside knowledge here.

by Anonymousreply 6204/23/2013

[quote]But remember that by the time they introduce House Martell, many of the characters that are prominent now will have been gone....

The problem isn't the number of characters, really, it's the number of *storylines.* Yeah, some people die, but most of them are supporting characters in the storylines of main characters. With one notable exception all the principal characters' stories continue through the rest of the books, and then Martin piles more storylines on top of them. I don't see how the show can do this without the episodes becoming hopelessly fractured. I already see people complaining about it this season.

by Anonymousreply 6304/23/2013

And before everyone jumps in, by principal characters, I mean Martin's POV characters, not characters like Joffrey and Robb.

by Anonymousreply 6404/23/2013

People, please be careful about spoilers. Indicating you know who is ahead of who and what game they are playing books ahead is a big giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 6504/23/2013

I've never watched this show but that clip going around of that giant guy Hodor naked with his massive hog swinging in the breeze certainly caught my attention! Was this guy an actor before GoT because he's listed online as a DJ.

by Anonymousreply 6604/23/2013

GOT is sadly lacking in dick shots.

by Anonymousreply 6704/23/2013

Hodor

by Anonymousreply 6804/23/2013

Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 6904/23/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 7004/23/2013

Here's a ton of Iwan, including naked:

by Anonymousreply 7104/23/2013

If you're talking about mentioning that Varys and Littlefinger are playing a "long game" I don't think that's much of a spoiler given that there are no clues to exactly HOW they are playing their games and I think it's quite obvious that these are two of the most manipulative/secretive guys in the series.

Remember the TV audience saw during the first season that Varys was meeting with a mysterious person in the catacombs of the Red Keep discussing having the "Wolf and the Lion at each other's throats". Also during the first season Littlefinger was instrumental in Ned Stark's downfall and then forging the alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells.

by Anonymousreply 7204/23/2013

Were all the men fighting at Craster's place from the palace guards? It was so dark and confusing - it seemed to me that a faction were disgruntled by their treatment from Craster and started turning on each other. Then the older man wanted to be "honorable" and started killing the ones who started the 'uprising'. Am I close?

by Anonymousreply 7304/23/2013

That's pretty much it, r73. It's meant to be confusing, because it's part of Martin's point about violence and the meaninglessness of it.

by Anonymousreply 7404/23/2013

The palace guards? You mean the Night's Watch who guards The Wall? Yes, it was them. There was a mutiny lead by disgruntled Night's Watchmen who were tired of Craster, of starving and of having to work Craster's farm for shelter. Plus everyone's morale was way down since being attacked by the White Walkers on the Fist of the First Men at the beginning of the season.

Lord Commander Mormont had an alliance with Craster because Craster's Keep was an important outpost for the Watch and Craster gave them word to the Wildings' activities. In exchange the Night's Watch was supposed to leave Craster alone to rape his daughter-wives and sacrifice his newborn boys to the White Walkers.

When the rebellious Watchman goaded and then killed Craster, Mormont tried to take the Watchman's head for treason but his buddies stabbed Craster in the back and then all hell broke loose between the mutinous Watchmen and the loyal Watchmen. Sam slipped away during the melee and fled with Gilly and her baby.

by Anonymousreply 7504/23/2013

I thought the guy who killed Craster looked sort of familiar. That scene was so dimly lit I didn't realize it was Owen from Torchwood.

by Anonymousreply 7604/23/2013

Thanks for the recap, R75. I was wondering how one old man could keep so many from just taking what they wanted. I didn't know about the "arrangement" he had with Mormont.

What's going on with all those baby boys? Are they being eaten? Or is someone training them for a child army?

BTW--I thought it was funny when one of the starving guards said the burning body of his comrade smelled good enough to eat.

by Anonymousreply 7704/23/2013

[quote]What's going on with all those baby boys? Are they being eaten? Or is someone training them for a child army?

I thought they were being killed just for being boys.

by Anonymousreply 7804/23/2013

Weren't the baby boys being taken away by he Wildlings? Or was it the White Walkers?

by Anonymousreply 7904/23/2013

They were given away by Craster to the White Walkers. But we don't know why or what the WW's are doing with them. At least not yet.

by Anonymousreply 8004/23/2013

Cersei has a right to be suspicious of Margaery. Joffrey is such a little fool. One thing I don't understand is how this boy can have full power as King when he is still a minor. Cersei as Queen Regent should have monarchical authority over the realm until Joffrey reaches his majority. The title of "regent" implies that the holder has temporary control of the kingdom. He should not have had the power to order Ned Stark's beheading. When Cersei said stop this, that should have been it.

by Anonymousreply 8104/23/2013

Jorah looks like he's always a good drink away from molesting Dany. She must be creeped out by his perviness LOL. I hope Barristan gets into it with Jorah at some point. It would cool to see those two battle.

by Anonymousreply 8204/23/2013

R82, I don't recall Cersei saying "stop" to Ned's murder.

R82, I like Jorah. I know he's supposed to be a fatherly advisor/protector to Dany, but it would be fine with me if he sexed her up. She says she can't get married or have kids (other than her dragons), but she should still be able to have a fuck buddy, I think.

by Anonymousreply 8304/23/2013

[quote]They were given away by Craster to the White Walkers. But we don't know why or what the WW's are doing with them. At least not yet.

They're raising the boys to be triple threat musical stage performers. Look out Westeros, here comes WICKED!

by Anonymousreply 8404/23/2013

^^^Sorry, I meant R81 re. Cersei/Ned

by Anonymousreply 8504/23/2013

Jorah Mormont is the ultimate example of "friend zone". Poor Jorah! She's just not that into you. You'll never get the dragon pussy!

by Anonymousreply 8604/23/2013

[quote]I don't recall Cersei saying "stop" to Ned's murder.

Lena Headey clearly plays objection to his order at that part. You don't hear her clearly, but she very obviously objects in that first shot after he orders the beheading.

by Anonymousreply 8704/23/2013

I think the actor who plays Jorah is hot. Thank God they didn't cast someone to look like the way he's described in the book. In the book, Martin describes Jorah as the ultimate bear, and I don't mean that in a sexy gay slang way. Imagine a hairer and less attractive version of Samwell Tarly, with fat replaced with muscle.

by Anonymousreply 8804/23/2013

I'm dying for a scene where Tywin smacks the piss out of Joffrey.

by Anonymousreply 8904/23/2013

LOL@r89! That should be a standard thing per season, or for at least as long as both characters are alive, and NO that is not a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 9004/23/2013

Every episode should include Tywin smacking the shit out of Joffrey. I don't think anyone would object to it.

Just have a spin off show called "Tywin Slapping the Shit Out of Joffrey" and I think it would be a ratings winner.

by Anonymousreply 9104/23/2013

IMO, best episode since Ned's beheading. I'm as queer as a 3 dollar bill but I'd fuck the hell out of Khaleesi.

by Anonymousreply 9204/23/2013

Joffrey slap compilation (Tyrion)

by Anonymousreply 9304/23/2013

[quote]Just have a spin off show called "Tywin Slapping the Shit Out of Joffrey" and I think it would be a ratings winner.

ROFL!

by Anonymousreply 9404/23/2013

I felt like a pervert for being attracted to a shirtless Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) from episode two but then I found out he's 20 so I don't feel so bad!

Don't tell me I'm the ONLY one who thinks he's a bit sexy...

by Anonymousreply 9504/23/2013

That scene with Hodor swing in the breeze probably booted viewership.

by Anonymousreply 9604/23/2013

Sorry, That should have been "Boosted" viewership. What do we know about the guy who plays Hodor, is his size the result of a pituitary tumor like that wrestler Big Show?

by Anonymousreply 9704/23/2013

The actor who plays Jojen is about to turn 23. Huh? He looks younger than Bran.

by Anonymousreply 9804/23/2013

I'm a little confused. The whitewalkers are that ghost army that Sam saw, rotting corpses on horseback. But there are also wights. What or who are the wights supposed to be?They take orders from the Whitewalkers, I think, or at least a used by them. This is nmych different from wildings who are warm-blooded actual human beings who are simply anarchists or whatever you want to call them. Libertarians .

by Anonymousreply 9904/23/2013

Why would Lysa agree to marry Littlefinger? Aren't the Brotherhood without Banners a threat to Arya since they worship the Lord of Light? I watched the final scene with Dany about 5 times. I loved the wordless acting of Ser Jorah and Misandei.

by Anonymousreply 10004/23/2013

r99 Wights are humans, mostly Wildlings at this point, who the Whitewalkers have resurrected post-death to use as their army.

by Anonymousreply 10104/23/2013

r99 the White Walkers aka The Others are essentially ice demons from the farthest northern reaches of the continent where no human life can be sustained. They invaded Westeros thousands of years ago by an alliance of the First Men (first human inhabitants of Westeros) and the Children of the Forest (woodland elves) who pushed the Others back to the North in a long and bloody war. Brandon the Builder, King in the North had The Wall built with magic spells to keep the Others out of Westeros forever.

It stayed that way for many centuries until now because there is a world wide awakening of magic with the rebirth of the dragons and now the reemergence of the Others.

by Anonymousreply 10204/23/2013

Excellent, excellent episode.

WHEN did that little blonde Dani girl learn how to act? She's gotten so great! Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 10304/23/2013

Just read that the actress who plays Kahlessi, Emilia Clarke was dating Seth Macfarlane.

by Anonymousreply 10404/23/2013

[quote]Why would Lysa agree to marry Littlefinger?

Lysa and Littlefinger grew up together in Riverrun, her father's castle (the home of House Tully). She had a crush on him going far back to childhood (remember he is very handsome), but he always only had eyes for her sister, Caitlyn (who is now Caitlyn Stark).

In addition, now that he is the lord of his own huge castle (Harrenhal, if in name only), she would be attracted to the idea of cementing ties with him because she also wants to make things as safe as possible for her son Robyn, the underage Lord of the Vale. She is terrified he will be killed as his father was before him, and she would welcome to idea of additional political strength added to House Arryn.

[quote]Aren't the Brotherhood without Banners a threat to Arya since they worship the Lord of Light?

No. Melisandre is a priestess of the Lord of Light, but she is helping Stannis only because she had a specific vision when staring at the fire that he will become King of all Westeros. Thoros of Myr does not seem to have had that same vision, though he is a priest of the Lord of Light at well.

by Anonymousreply 10504/23/2013

I find Lysa gross with that kid stuck to her tits.

by Anonymousreply 10604/23/2013

Lysa is a nutjob. I wonder how Littlefinger will be able to put up with that.

by Anonymousreply 10704/23/2013

I haven’t read the books, and I caught up on the entire series only a few weeks ago. Although I’m hooked (for now), there are so many characters and storylines that I focus only on a few. Research has helped fill in some of the history and relationships. As much as I enjoy magic and sorcery, those elements of the series have been rather sparse -- and when they do occur, they’re confusing and seem random. I enjoy the non fantastical aspects of the series much more. Other impressions:

Dany: I’m aware that she is one of the most popular characters among readers and viewers; however, I’m over her. Her entire persona now seems to be, “I am Khaleesi! Hear me (and my dragons) roar!” I liked her transformation from naïve innocent to strong leader, yet she’s become a caricature as warrior woman. Usually, I champion female characters written and portrayed as kicking ass, yet she now leaves me cold.

Jaime: I didn’t like him until he lost his hand. That’s made him a bit more nuanced, and I’m now intrigued.

Joffrey: Couldn’t stand him until only recently, as his character seems to have become a bit more nuanced with Margaery.

Favorites: Margaery (Natalie Dormer was the best thing about THE TUDORS and I was glad to see her join GoT – playing close to the same character. I adore this character); Varys (one of my absolute favorites. And the actor is so good at playing him); Olenna (damn, what a character! What dialogue!); Ros (a smart one, she is); Brienne (kick-ass and honorable).

Two questions:

What was the point of Melisandre killing the gay king (I forgot his name)? Was it only to put Stannis in power? That’s the only time I recall her using that demon thing to which she gave birth.

If my understanding is correct, Dany’s ancestors took over the entire kingdom centuries ago because they rode in on dragons. What happened to the dragons and how did that group lose power? What’s to prevent that from occurring again? Is this a case of whoever has the most dragons, wins?

by Anonymousreply 10804/23/2013

r108, Yes. Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister-wives, Visenya and Rhaenys subdued the Seven Kingdoms and founded the Targaryen dynasty on the backs of their three dragons, Balerion the Black Dread, Meraxes and Vhaegar.

Over time the dragons bred and there were more of them but because they were confined to the Dragon Pit in Kings Landing, they grew smaller and weaker with each new generation because dragons need to be free to fly and grow strong.

Most of the dragons were killed off during the "Dance of the Dragons" which was a civil war between Princess Rhaenyra who was the designated heir to the Iron Throne and her half brother Aegon II who thought he had the right to rule simply because he was male. In the end Aegon defeated Rhaenyra and had her eaten alive by a dragon.

The last surviving dragons from that war were killed when her son Aegon III "Dragonsbane" poisoned them. He hated the dragons because a dragon killed his mother.

Ever since this event the last generations of Targaryen kings were obsessed with resurrecting the dragons and thus the main source of their power. They tried to replace the dragons with the invention of "wildfire" but it just wasn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 10904/24/2013

I agree with R12.

I enjoyed Khaleesi's big scene, but it should've been longer.

When she announced that she knew the language, there should've been time for a reaction by the asshole, imo.

And the dragon attack was over waaay too quickly, and the asshole just dropped down and died right away! The sorcerer from the Tower of the Undying [or whatever it's called] took a lot longer to die.

Also, how DOES she know the Valyr-whatever language? Iirc, she has been estranged from Westeros and any other Targaerians since she was a baby! And isn't she now the only living Targaerian, since her jerk bro got his scary golden crown?

by Anonymousreply 11004/24/2013

Actually r101 and r12, the scene played out just as it was written in the book, with the exact same pacing. It was over quite quickly and for me personally, it work. The way Martin wrote it made it that much more shocking. Also keep in mind that this was the first time Dany made a major move all her own that involved the killing of a lot of people in the most deservedly underhanded way. I was quite satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 11104/24/2013

R93 thank you for that; I laughed really hard. I think it was the synchronization with the GOT theme.

by Anonymousreply 11204/24/2013

[quote]The actor who plays Jojen is about to turn 23. Huh?

I'm still amazed that actor played Liam Neeson's step-son in "Love, Actually" (the one who learned to play drums to impress the girl). But I guess it WAS 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11304/24/2013

The endless plot twists are becoming a bit tiresome. It almost seems as though at one point, the entire cast of characters is refreshed. It's hard to stay involved in a show when there isn't any use in getting invested in the characters.

by Anonymousreply 11404/24/2013

I find the GoT fanboi in this thread both interesting and distressing.

by Anonymousreply 11504/24/2013

I don't know how this fantasy world hasn't become extinct with so much senseless killing. All the beheadings and dismemberment are out of control. It's amazing that anyone survives long enough to reproduce let alone to old age.

by Anonymousreply 11604/24/2013

the GoT fanboi is totally spoiling stuff! I've read the books too and there's stuff that's been shared that will totally ruin any future reveals on the show.

by Anonymousreply 11704/24/2013

The show isn't following the books to the letter, so simmer down

by Anonymousreply 11804/24/2013

I've read all the books and I enjoy every second of the HBO series. I've suffered no ill effects from any spoilers I come across at various discussions of the series.

You have to appreciate that the books are wildly popular and people love to discuss them. The story itself has enough characters and plot twists and layers to keep you absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 11904/24/2013

[quote]What was the point of Melisandre killing the gay king (I forgot his name)? Was it only to put Stannis in power? That’s the only time I recall her using that demon thing to which she gave birth.

The "gay king" was Renly Baratheon, youngest brother of Stannis and Robert Baratheon. Robert was the big bear King, married to Cersei, "father" of Joffrey, gutted by a boar while drunken hunting, etc.

With Robert dead, Stannis became the rightful heir to the throne, cuz he's older than Renly. But Renly's lover Loris said that Renly should be King, and apparently that was good enough for it to be so!

Loris is the pretty blonde guy, the "Knight of Flowers" or whatever his stupid title is, sister to Margery [who's now betrothed to Joffrey] and now presumably about to become engaged to Sansa Stark. He's the one who, back in season 1, gave Sansa a flower before jousting [against The Mountain, iirc].

by Anonymousreply 12004/24/2013

[quote]What was the point of Melisandre killing the gay king (I forgot his name)? Was it only to put Stannis in power? That’s the only time I recall her using that demon thing to which she gave birth.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention the demon thing that Melisandre gave birth to.

That demon was Stannis' "son", and its only purpose was to sneak up and kill Stannis' brother Renly the gay king, and take over Renly's men so that Stannis had a chance of defeating all the others who want the throne.

by Anonymousreply 12104/24/2013

Stannis thought he should be king because of the rumors that Joffrey is not Robert's son. However, Stannis is a total downer and not very popular. When Renley declared for the crown, he gathered a sizable following despite being the younger brother.

by Anonymousreply 12204/24/2013

[quote]When she announced that she knew the language, there should've been time for a reaction by the asshole, imo.

He was preoccupied with the dragon resisting him.

He still reacted to it, and more important, the audience had time to react to it before the dragon attacked him.

[quote]And the dragon attack was over waaay too quickly, and the asshole just dropped down and died right away! The sorcerer from the Tower of the Undying [or whatever it's called] took a lot longer to die.

The sorcerer was a sorcerer, so he probably was more flameproofed by protective spells. Also Khaleesi's dragon has grown considerably since last season--it is presumably much more powerful now it's so much bigger.

[quote]Also, how DOES she know the Valyr-whatever language?

As someone posted upthread, the Targaryen dynasty (to which she belongs) are all from Valyria: they flew over on their dragons to conquer all of Westeros. Since the Targaryens used to all intermarry (and often still do), the "family language" remained High Valyrian.

by Anonymousreply 12304/24/2013

Renly was for Stannis the biggest threat, because he was the most popular Baratheon heir and during his lifetime he had the considerable power of House Tyrell (Margaery's and Olenna's family) behind him. With Renly dead, Stannis became the uncontested Baratheon heir, and he thought Joffrey's claims on the throne were too weak to resist him: many of Joffrey's people believe--correctly--he is Jaime's heir, not Robert Baratheon's; and none of the major houses other than Lannister back Joffrey. The heads of Houses Stark and Greyjoy are both claimants to the throne (and House Tully is backing the Starks), and Houses Arryn and Dorne have so far been staying out of the war for their own reasons. With Renly gone, he thought the families who were faithful to the Baratheons but who had thrown in their hats with Renly would all join him--and he was pretty much right.

What Stannis did not realize was that the Lannisters had wildfire stockpiled at King's Landing to decimate the Baratheon fleet, and that House Tyrrell would decide to back the Lannisters; he would have won against the Lannisters if these two facts had not been the case, because he had hugely outnumbered Joffrey's army stationed in King's Landing.

by Anonymousreply 12404/24/2013

Khaleesi is really not a cunt at all: we've seen in the last few weeks that the slavers of Astapor were monstrously evil: the bald guy sliced off one of the Unsullied's nipples just to make a point, and he and the regular slavers require that the Unsullied kill an innocent slave baby to test their mettle, and they punish slaves for the slightest infraction by crucifying them on the Walk of Punishment.

She was liberating the city from its evil overlords and freeing all the slaves. I see nothing cuntish about that.

by Anonymousreply 12604/24/2013

I don't mean to be cynical but it was so obvious, even without having read the book or spoilers, that Khaleesi was not going to just give away one of her "children" to the asshole slave master and that she was going to make him pay dearly for even suggesting such a thing. Also, didn't the pretty translator speak to her in Valyrian and Khaleesi answered her in English with the correct saying? That foreshadowed that Khaleesi understood the language. And if nothing else, after the slave master handed her the whip and told the translator to "tell the bitch she has her army", Khaleesi shot him a look that intimated she knew what he said and would redefine the term for him. I loved the scene and the way Emilia played it. It was most satisfying. Loved the music as Khaleesi rides away from Astapor on that majestic white horse and the "ultimate mike drop", as someone on another site described it. The best moment in the series since the shocking death of Ned Stark.

by Anonymousreply 12704/24/2013

r27 HA! Ultimate mic drop is perfect!

by Anonymousreply 12804/24/2013

Yeah, you kind of knew it was coming. But I didn't see the whole her-speaking-Valryian thing, which was so fantastic and satisfying. And the way she freed the slaves AND got them to follow her was AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 12904/24/2013

I thought it was hilarious that Khaleesi did not even bother turning look at the fireballs, in clichéd Hollywood "cool guy" form.

by Anonymousreply 13004/24/2013

No, R127, Kahaleesi never speaks to the translator in Valryian. The translator speaks to her in English and she always responds in English. The translator has the same look of shock as anyone else when Kahleesi starts speaking Valryian in the climax scene.

by Anonymousreply 13104/24/2013

[quote]The sorcerer was a sorcerer, so he probably was more flameproofed by protective spells.

Do you fanboys realize just how crazy you sound?

It is a television show. Please refrain from fucking it up for the rest of us by talking about things that have not happened yet.

No one is impressed, and there is a spoiler thread where you can circle jerk about what is coming up in season 9 all you want.

by Anonymousreply 13204/24/2013

[quote]Also, how DOES she know the Valyr-whatever language? Iirc, she has been estranged from Westeros and any other Targaerians since she was a baby! And isn't she now the only living Targaerian, since her jerk bro got his scary golden crown?[/quote]

You answered your own question with her jerk bro. Sure Dany was a newborn baby when their father was killed but Viserys was a child old enough to to know about their family, including Valyrian. He would have made sure she knew it as that is part of who they are.

by Anonymousreply 13304/24/2013

No, r131. I didn't say that Khaleesi spoke to the translator in Valyrian. I thought the girl said something to Khaleesi in Valryrian and Khaleesi completed the sentence in English. Suggesting she understood what the girl had said. I thought the shock on the girl's face was because Khaleesi spoke fluent Valyrian rather than knowing just a few words. I understand a number of words in Cantonese but I cannot speak fluent Chinese. However, I would know if you were saying something about my Mama or cursing me out:) And I could respond in kind. I guess I will go back and rewatch the episode. I could be mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 13504/24/2013

Pics and vids of the actors in real life at the season 3 premier. They look SO different, especially Drogo and Kahleesi.

Most look better as their characters IMO. Cercei looks horrible with black hair. Margaery looks bad as a blond. Tyrion made no effort at all --his hair is a mess and he's wearing a stained suit and dirty work boots.

The biggest disappointment though-- Rob Stark and John Snow. Dear God, what happened? They're both so hot on GOT.

by Anonymousreply 13704/24/2013

Another appeal to post spoilers in the SPOILER thread. Why do you want to spoill the show for those of us who have not read the books? Or for those who have yet to read the book you cite in your post r125? It's a dick move and you really should be FF. You and the other asshole at r134. One good thing about the Webbie. He doesn't like pricks like you.

by Anonymousreply 13804/24/2013

Thank you R109, R120, R121, R122, & R124. Your posts were extremely helpful in answering some of my questions and clarifying history.

by Anonymousreply 13904/24/2013

Maisie Williams looks adorable in her little flowered frock in r137's link. So cute and such a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 14004/24/2013

[quote]I don't mean to be cynical but it was so obvious, even without having read the book or spoilers, that Khaleesi was not going to just give away one of her "children" to the asshole slave master and that she was going to make him pay dearly for even suggesting such a thing.

It was her idea!

by Anonymousreply 14104/24/2013

Dany and her brother fled Westeros and ended up in Pentos, one of the Free Cities where they speak Valyrian

by Anonymousreply 14204/24/2013

[quote] No, [R131]. I didn't say that Khaleesi spoke to the translator in Valyrian. I thought the girl said something to Khaleesi in Valryrian and Khaleesi completed the sentence in English. Suggesting she understood what the girl had said. I thought the shock on the girl's face was because Khaleesi spoke fluent Valyrian rather than knowing just a few words. [/quote]

Missandei said "Valar Morghulis" to Dany in High Valyrian which means "All men must die". Dany responds: yes, but we are not men. It's apparently a common saying, so there was no reason for Missandei to believe that Dany was fluent because she knew the meaning of one phrase.

I think the language that most characters speak is the Common Tongue of Westeros (not English).

Dany is multilingual, she picked up Dothraki pretty quickly and it appears that she spoke another language when growing up with her brother in the Free Cities.

by Anonymousreply 14304/24/2013

R127 I thought Khaleesi's move was nicely foreshadowed too with the debate between Jorah and Sir Barriston regarding the unsullied ones. The writing on this show is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 14404/25/2013

[quote]And as *I* asked upthread [in the same paragraph you quoted from], weren't ALL the Targaryens killed when Jaime Lannister killed The Mad King and some other evil soldiers slaughtered the other Targaryen kids in their beds? If Dani was still an infant when she was safely whisked away, how the hell did she learn the Valyrian language?

Targaryens were NOT all killed. You've forgotten her brother Viserys also survived. He would have known the language as a child before Robert's Rebellion, and would have taught it to her as part of her legacy as a Targaryen.

by Anonymousreply 14504/25/2013

I'm with R83 and R88, Ser Jorah is one hot daddy. If I were Dany, I'd be all over that. I haven't read the books, but I did read the wiki link about the character. Is Iain Glen too handsome for the role?

I heard he played kind of a bastard/bad-ass in Downton Abbey last season.

I had forgotten that Commander Mormont was Jorah's dad, too. It's a weird thing about this show/cast that two characters are that closely related yet they never shared one scene.

Aside from Jorah, I really love Jaime Lannister. I know he's done reprehensible things, but I couldn't help be swayed by his sense of self and 'honor'. And he's as sarcastic and funny as Tyrion. He's a fascinating character. I'm wondering if he's ever going to get back to Kings Landing.

by Anonymousreply 14604/25/2013

The casting for this show was really excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14704/25/2013

[quote]Missandei said "Valar Morghulis" to Dany in High Valyrian which means "All men must die". Dany responds: yes, but we are not men. It's apparently a common saying, so there was no reason for Missandei to believe that Dany was fluent because she knew the meaning of one phrase.

Valar Morghulis also figures in Arya's storyline.

by Anonymousreply 14804/25/2013

[quote]Please refrain from fucking it up for the rest of us by talking about things that have not happened yet.

Ok, first of all, the incident with the slame-resistant sorcerer HAPPENED IN SEASON TWO.

Ergo, NOT A SPOILER!

[quote]Or for those who have yet to read the book you cite in your post [R125]?

Um, "A Song of Ice and Fire" is the name of the ENTIRE SERIES OF BOOKS.

God, if you're gonna bitch, at least grab a frickin brain first!

by Anonymousreply 14904/26/2013

[R147] I agree with you about the casting. I can't stand the accents that Dinklage and Jaime use for the show but I would say just about everyone is perfect for their parts. Except for Jon Snow, pretty to look at but really hasn't shown much. Time will tell if that is due to lack of screen time or ability...but in 3 seasons, he has not impressed me. I thought this episode was slow until the last 20 minutes. Glad they gave the Old Bear a bad ass death scene. I thought it was very obvious that Khaleesi knew the language and was going to have the slaver be dragon food.

by Anonymousreply 15004/26/2013

So far Jon Snow is the Keanu Reeves of the show....but hotter

by Anonymousreply 15104/26/2013

Mea culpa, r141. Khaleesi did offer one of her dragons as payment for the Unsullied. Still, I don't think anyone really thought she was going to actually give away one of her "children". The behanding of Jamie Lannister is a close second, but this episode is my favorite of the whole series. I am absolutely in awe, and in love, with Khaleesi!

by Anonymousreply 15204/28/2013

[quote]I really love Jaime Lannister. I know he's done reprehensible things

And what do you thing after the 4/28 episode, following Jaime's soliloquy in the hot tub?

by Anonymousreply 15304/28/2013

My theory about Jaime is that dominated by his father's brutal authority and manipulated by his sister/lover he inevitably chose a dark path. Now that he has lost his sword hand and the bill has come due, it will be interesting to see what emerges.

by Anonymousreply 15404/29/2013

Hmmmm, interesting R154. So, you think the loss of his hand has brought about the beginning of a redemption?

by Anonymousreply 15504/29/2013

I agree. He is beginning to see what contempt his family and he personally generates in otjhers. He thought money could buy him out of anything, along with his sword and his good looks. Now he is learning otherwise.

I like Jamie. I love Tyrion, and I like Jon Snow & Robb. Oh, and Varys. Arya too. I go hot & cold about the Kaleesi. Sometimes all her strutting and her pronouncements get on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.