Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I become a Scotch drinker?

I am mostly a wine and beer drinker. Lately, though, beer has not agreed with me. Any more than two pints is unpleasant and I just don't feel good. Plus, it's incredibly fattening.

I love wine but there are some occasions when I just want one or two drinks at home and then will have nothing for the rest of the week. It seems a shame to waste the majority of a bottle of wine that way.

So that brings me to hard liquor. I drink vodka occasionally but I don't really like it. Or, rather, I don't like how I feel when I drink it. Whereas beer, and to a lesser extent wine, give me a pleasant, happy buzz, vodka just makes me feel blank and numb.

Is there a liquor that will give me the same warm, pleasant buzz that beer gives? A good scotch maybe? I vaguely remember someone telling me that scotch gives the same kind of buzz if you don't drink too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2014

Oh, yes, OP. Alcoholic beverages are exactly like different drugs, each with its own high. And, based on your personality, it is strongly suggested that your turn to sloe gin fizzes with three cherries skewered on a little plastic sword.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

OP --

You're an idiot … and scotch made me an alcoholic.

I'd steer clear.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

If the purpose of your drinking is to get a buzz, perhaps you might want to run your drinking history past an alcohol counselor. Changing your alcohol of choice to get an even better buzz is a little alarming.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

I love the smell of shampoo. Of course, I think I like the smell of Clairol Creme conditioner better, you know, when it's on a freshly bleached head. I don't know, I like them both, but...

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Well if not to get a buzz, I don't really understand drinking. I don't care for the taste of beer, wine, or liquor. I mean I tried an aged whiskey once at a whiskey bar and it was vile.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Single Malt Whiskey is fascinating. So many different tastes. I don't drink enough to give advice on the various buzzes. They all seem the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

R6--Why don't you just inject some grain alcohol then? You'll save a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

If not for the buzz, you couldn't give that nasty-tasting shit away.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

I should know better than to pose such a question on Sunday. You bitches are obviously coming down from your weekend hangovers and dreading your shitty jobs in the morning.

I'll try again tomorrow. Or maybe Tuesday when you're feeling better.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Irish Whiskey. Perfect for the buzz you're looking for. You'll want to sing, you'll want to dance, you'll laugh, you'll cry.

One drink too many though and you'll want to fight the biggest guy in the room.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

My beloved grandmother drinks nothing but scotch.

It tastes like a musty barrel...

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

I don't drink R8. I might have a frozen margarita once a year, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

Someone told me you have to drink it like 10 times before you actually acquire a taste for it. Why bother? If you have to force yourself to drink it what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

I haven't had scotch in at least 15 years but I remember that its effects on me were first a nice sense of warmth and contentment and then blah sadness and a banging headache.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

[quote]Someone told me you have to drink it like 10 times before you actually acquire a taste for it. Why bother? If you have to force yourself to drink it what's the point?

I did need time to appreciate whisky, just as I did for wine and coffee. Complex, strong flavors are often not immediately appreciated. There is no magic number (10 or otherwise), but I'd say if you don't find your appreciation and enjoyment increasing, just stop.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

I much prefer bourbon, except for some rarer types of single-malt scotch. More robust taste.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

OP, the answer is that you should drink scotch if you want to assuming you like it. If you are concerned with how you appear to the world if you drink scotch (as opposed to beer) or you are seeking some sort of better buzz- you may need a bit of outside help. I mean chosing a flavor of ice cream ain't as big a deal as you make it.

P.S. I do not get hangovers on the weekend, ever. Monday is just another day.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

Scotch is a great choice OP, but stay away from the blendeds.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

[quote] If you are concerned with how you appear to the world if you drink scotch (as opposed to beer) or you are seeking some sort of better buzz- you may need a bit of outside help.

This is not about how I appear to the world. Really, I just want to know what else, besides beer and wine, I can drink that would give me the same pleasant buzz that beer and wine do. Not a better buzz. Just a warm, tingly kind of happiness.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

Margaritas!!!

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

Lord. Go buy a bottle of single malt Scotch and try it. You will soon find out if the buzz agrees with you or not.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

Bourbon is the best.

I love Hudson's version.

I love Hudson's four grain whiskey as well.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2013

Forget scotch. I'd recommend drinking (100% blue agave) Tequila reposados neat.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2013

Gin and tonic's a good choice. The sugar in the tonic helps prevent the sudden drop in blood sugar that's partly responsible for hangovers. And it's the only mixed drink that I really like the taste of. Well, other than the dessert type drinks like pina coladas but I feel stupid ordering those.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2013

I am a Single Malt Scotch drinker. There is something about Scotch that makes me feel different then any other alcohol drink. I have done may different drugs in my life time and do not have an additive personality so addiction is no issue. Scotch is king for me and my drug of choice. So many different ones to chose from all with unique tastes. As someone has said stick with single malts they are more expensive but far better.

by Anonymousreply 2712/31/2013

OP, the answer is Chartreuse. Its effects are magical - soothing, stimulating and trippy.

Green, not yellow.

by Anonymousreply 2812/31/2013

Chivas Regal..and for after dinner nothing like Drambuie

by Anonymousreply 2912/31/2013

mGo for it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3012/31/2013

R27 has it. There is something about sitting down at the end of a long day with a glass of a good single malt. Maybe it's because it's a drink that you linger over that you contemplate the day's events and sort it all out. Nothing else gives me that same feeling of calm, other drinks seem to be more about knocking them back in company, a nice scotch is to be savored.

I'd suggest OP tries some at a tasting event before buying a bottle, there are so many different types and flavors it's worth finding out what you like before spending what might be a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 3112/31/2013

Single malt invariably tastes like something drunk from an old shoe in which someone walked around all day on a piece of cheap licorice.

by Anonymousreply 3201/01/2014

OP, may I recommend a liqueur like pastis? I've taken to having a glass of that in the evening. Watered down 2 to 1 with water, it's a lovely drink and at 45% alcohol by volume, it has a kick to it too. And the bottle won't go bad once opened.

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.