Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brad Pitt is a horrible actor

Has anyone watched inglorious basterds? Omg, the guy's acting chops is cringe-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 9105/01/2015

Have you seen Snatch? By that I mean the movie. Pitt is hilarious as an Irishman with an impenetrable accent.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

[quote]Omg, the guy's acting chops is cringe-inducing.

Oh, dear. Speaking of cringe inducing.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

I actually think he is good in the right role, and much better than someone as pretty as he is needs to be.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

"Has anyone watched inglorious basterds? Omg, the guy's acting chops is cringe-inducing"

For goodness sakes, Angelina, you're a U.N. Ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

R1, he was told to do that accent by the director because he couldn't do a proper Irish accent.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

How has he sustained a career this long? Sure, he gets offered all the best roles because he's "bankable", but why the hell is he bankable?

He's a dreadful actor, a dull presence, and his good looks vanished after he acquired six children.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

He was excellent in Burn After Reading, he can stand up to Frances McDormand - no small feat. I like the guy, doesn't take himself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

I just know Moneyball was a terribly dull, ugly movie.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

What's in the boooxxxx???

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

I loved "Moneyball".

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

Forgot the link to the boooxxxx?!>?

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

He's OK--can be good in the right role (like in Moneyball or in Burn After Reading), but when he tries to show he's capable of being a character actor by really stretching he falls flat on his face.

His ridiculously mannered and cheesy (and Oscar nominated!) performance as the mentally disturbed man in Twelve Monkeys was an embarrassment--it's on a par with Rosie O'Donnell's performance in Riding the Bus with My Sister.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

He is also great in Fight Club and I really liked him in that terrorist thing he did with Harrison Ford a million years ago. He cannot do heroic language or period stuff. He is also a smart producer.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

Tarantino gets idiosyncratic, mannered performances out of his actors. This suits some people well, and not others.

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

He's a really good actor, but with a smallish range. I agree about Fight Club. I thought he was also great in Tree of Life, and Snatch is outright brilliant. But his performance in Inglorious Basterds made me fidget.

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

The whole film was a piece of shit and everyone was terrible in it include Christoph Waltz who practically ate the scenery. The fact he received an Oscar for it is ludicrous. In the scene where Eli(I can not direct a good movie) Roth comes out with the baseball bat, you can see on his talentless face, "This is going to be really cool on screen", it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

I liked Basterds much more than Django Unchained. I thought Pitt was good- if not tongue and cheek which is what he was going for I think.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

I just will never see a Quentin Tarantino film ever again after watching the abysmal and beyond-patience-testing farrago that was "Death Proof" portion of "Grindhouse." I'm sick of his films, which are little more than pointless wanking to show how cool he is. He's in his 50s and needs to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

I think he's quite a good actor. Not brilliant. Sometimes he's off. But thought he was great in River Runs Through It, The Devil's Own, Benjamin Buttons, Moneyball, Tree of Life.

I agree he was horrible in 12 Monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

I must be the exception but I loved him in "12 Monkeys".

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

Normally I would agree, but he was very good in Tree of Life. Better than boozy reptilian Sean Penn!

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

His best role was in the Assassination of Jesse James. He WAS brilliant in that. The only time he's ever been brilliant. The director ruined the film because he wouldn't edit it properly. Had he, Brad would have an Oscar right now.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

Let's sum it up shall we.,? He is a horrible actor..compared to the best..he's at the lowest

by Anonymousreply 2510/15/2014

He was good in Thelma and Louise, in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 2610/15/2014

He is dumb as a rock and you can see that in his performances. Yeah he is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2710/15/2014

Brad is a limited actor - good in certain roles, and with certain costars. Cate Blanchett seems to bring out the best in Brad.

by Anonymousreply 2810/15/2014

Brad Pitt is my favorite actor. Yes he kind of is one note, but he's got screen presence no one can deny. I think people want to perceive him as dumb and a bad actor, but if you have seen his entire body of work and read all his interviews. You will see he is not. I actually think my favorite role of his is Kalifornia, he plays a great psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 2910/15/2014

Would be interesting if Woody Allen put Brad in one of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 3110/15/2014

Chiming in with the opinion that he's very good in the right role, which is usually a handsome, "should be" normal guy who is, in some way, hopelessly twisted left of center.

I LOVE him in Moneyball. He's fab in that.

As for him as Achilles in Troy....bless his heart. But that whole movie is deliciously bad.

by Anonymousreply 3410/15/2014

He just came out supporting gun ownership in an interview.. angelina also believes in gun rights as well.

by Anonymousreply 3510/15/2014

He was terrible in Assassination. Completely 2 dimensional. Everybody, Rockwell, Casey, Renner was acting circles around him. He is a completely useless idiot. He and Angelina stage every move to stay relevant.

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2014

I agree that he and Jolie stage every move in every public and semi-public appearance they make.

I don't agree that Pitt was awful in Assassination. Yes, other actors turned in good performances in that film but so did Pitt.

I have no idea whether or not he's a completely useless idiot. He might be but he seems all right.

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2014

He's also a liar. Remember when he kept giving interviews where he talked about his knowledge and interest in architecture. And then this happened:

"I've got a few men I respect very much and one would be Frank Gehry," Brad Pitt told Vanity Fair, regarding the world-reknowned architect whose shiny Dr. Seussian creations, such as our own Walt Disney Concert Hall, have become arguably the most admired and spoken about structures of our time. The two are reportedly "close friends" as well as teacher and apprentice. Newsweek sat down with Gehry recently, and asked him about his unlikely confrere:

Gehry: He came by the office [...], and some body here took a picture of him leaning over the model next to me. I don t know how it got into the press. My guys didn t do itSomebody took that picture he must have sent it to somebody or we must have inadvertently sent it to somebody. From that day, I ve never heard from him.

Newsweek: You ve never heard from him?

Gehry: Never. [Laughs.]

Newsweek Well, he s been busy. And hadn t he been in your office before that for some period of weeks, sort of apprenticing?

Gehry: Nope. He s been to my office twice. Once he called and asked if he could come, and somebody gave him a tour, and I met him for two minutes. And then this time, this second time.

by Anonymousreply 4010/15/2014

He was so ridiculously bad in that movie where he slowly turned into a baby. And the Hollywood machine spent a year trying to build him up for an Oscar for that, and then everyone saw it and just stopped talking about him and it. He's never been more than a pretty face and a way to sell tabloids, and at both he has been very, very successful. But no, he can't act.

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2014

Brad only managed to last this long in hollywood because of his high profile relationships. He is like the male version of Jennifer Lopez. Its the famous actresses that he has hooked up with over the years that kept him in the press. He certainly isn't famous for his acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2014

Apparently Robert Duvall is a fan of his acting according to a GQ interview. I can see it in some roles where he essentially plays versions of himself and inhabits the role much more than he apparently does his real self (see how he transforms himself into the women with whom he has relationships). In other roles he does terribly (see Troy) where his only positive qualities are his looks and magnetism. Sometimes that gets one most of the way there but still short of even a mediocre performance.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2014

[quote]tow the jew line

Oh, dear (on so many levels).

As far as Nazis go, I prefer Grammar and Spelling Nazis.

You pig-fucking, neo-Nazi-wannabe, scumbags should eat shit and die as soon as possible.

Just a caring suggestion, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 4710/15/2014

Wild horses couldn't drag me to that "Benjamin Button" movie. I hate dreck like that.

by Anonymousreply 4810/15/2014

He is hilarious in "Burn After Reading." Very, very funny performance and he played really well off of Frances McDormand.

I also thought he was perfectly cast in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" where the main character was actually supposed to be a kind vacuum upon which other characters projected their desires (whether those were beauty, wealth, innocence, escape, etc).

by Anonymousreply 4910/15/2014

Terrible actor, dull screen presence, yet he's been on the A-List for a good twenty years now. How the fuck did he do it? He's gone for years with flop after flop, and somehow he kept getting leading roles that would have been better in another actor's hands - any other actor's hands.

His career offends my sensibilities. He represents the triumph of genetic good luck and generic mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 5110/15/2014

I disagree--I think he can be quite good, depending on the role and director. I thought he was terrific in Fight Club, Kalifornia, Tree of Life... I remember seeing Meet Joe Black, and during those early scenes in the diner, before Death takes over, remarking to myself that it showed perfectly why he was a movie star: he was incredibly charming, and the camera loved him to death. Those are things no one ever got in acting school, or ever learned a way to pass on.

by Anonymousreply 5210/15/2014

he has mush mouth.

But I liked him on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 5310/15/2014

[quote]dull screen presence, yet he's been on the A-List for a good twenty years now. How the fuck did he do it?

A List only means being able to secure financing that gets a return. AKA - putting asses into the seats.

Pitt ensures his status as a bankable commodity by:

a) remaining beautiful (that includes plastic surgery, coloring his hair, smoothing out his acne scars, pinning back his ears, and keeping his weight down.

b) dating a steady list of A list actresses who EACH have as their agenda being in the press as often as possible. (That includes: J. Lewis, G. Paltrow, J Aniston and the queen of all media: A Jolie.)

Each time one of those women are in the magazines - Brad gets de facto benefits. Magazine covers = audience = ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 5410/15/2014

I do hope R50 dies in a grease fire.

I'll be pissed off at whomever I choose for whatever reason I see fit and I do not need any of your ridiculous, blowhard, PC horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 5610/15/2014

He was incredible in Kalifornia. I even remember James Gandolfini talking about Brad's amazing performance in that film.

by Anonymousreply 5710/15/2014

[quote]Brad only managed to last this long in hollywood because of his high profile relationships. He is like the male version of Jennifer Lopez. Its the famous actresses that he has hooked up with over the years that kept him in the press. He certainly isn't famous for his acting ability.

He would never be that famous if he hadn't milked his private relationships for publicity to the max.

by Anonymousreply 5810/15/2014

You queens are all jealous because he's always been one of the hottest men on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 5910/15/2014

r59 - I think that's Robin Wright Penn with an eye-pencil beard.

by Anonymousreply 6010/15/2014

[quote]I don't agree that Pitt was awful in Assassination. Yes, other actors turned in good performances in that film but so did Pitt

I laughed every time he was on screen, he is a joke as an actor. Creepy Hollywood idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6110/15/2014

Why does he look like a female at R59?

by Anonymousreply 6210/15/2014

Gorgeous still when he cleans up. He can be good as an actor, more often mediocre, but I've never seen him as great. He has few variations playing himself.

by Anonymousreply 6310/15/2014

I liked him in 12 Monkeys.

The Tibet film and Joe Black were his worst, but I still really like him.

by Anonymousreply 6410/15/2014

His acting in Troy was almost as bad as that in Meet Joe Black and Seven Years a Slave in Tibet.

by Anonymousreply 6510/15/2014

Try watching the movie Seven. he stars with Morgan Freeman. Talk about a contrast! Absolutely one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen by Mr. Pit. Cringe inducing is right.

by Anonymousreply 6610/15/2014

R66, whaaaaaaaaaaat's in the boooooooooooox?!

by Anonymousreply 6710/15/2014

Unfortunately his status means he gets first pick of every good script and he'll continue to ruin potentially good movies for years to come. That he can't act really isn't in dispute: the real question is why he's a movie star when he's no Will Smith or Leonardo DiCaprio (who at least has some acting talent) in the box office; starring in flop after flop despite unrivalled marketing.

by Anonymousreply 6810/15/2014

In every movie I've ever seen him in, he is always a version of Brad Pitt. And that's all he ever needs to be.

by Anonymousreply 6910/15/2014

R66. The thing about Seven is the other three actors - Freeman, Spacey and Paltrow, we're all excellent. The "what's in the box" line is up there with that perfume commercial as his most hilarious performance to date.

by Anonymousreply 7010/15/2014

I think every breath he takes is Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 7110/15/2014

He may or may not have Jewish ancestry. Perhaps he should show his birth certificate.

But just a few years ago, Angelina Jolie made some news claiming Mohawk ancestry. That couldn't be proved, either. Matter of fact, people laughed at the claim.

Saw some previews of "Fury". No, he just doesn't have it. He's not manly enough! I wouldn't walk across the street to see him. But I hear the movie is going to be a hit. So, P. T. Barnum was right about a sucker being born every minute; for Pitt is divesting people of their hard-earned dollars.

by Anonymousreply 7210/15/2014

[quote] You wouldn't think Pitt was jewish because he looks much more like his white dad, but he's also had a nosejob and lip reduction(and other work). He also has the close set eyes and some weird features where even DLers have commented on him looking racially mixed.

R30, an apparently African-American poster on another thread wrote the following about Brad:

[quote] love his nose and his lips, his tawny smooth skin. He is one of the only white boys I used to think about fucking. His ass is pretty fine. He is a yellow bone.

[quote] Yeah, he is not a true yellow bone why? Who says he is all white.

by Anonymousreply 7310/15/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 7410/15/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 7510/15/2014

[quote] An escapee from the zoo?

We bought a zoo! (of children)

by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2014

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2014

by Anonymousreply 7810/15/2014

Still handsome?

by Anonymousreply 7910/15/2014

Still handsome? 2

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2014

Still handsome? This time with a bit of skin showing.

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2014

Right now the work he's done on his face is quite flawless. His skin is smooth and glowing. Few wrinkles.

Damn he's going all out - fillers, dermabrasion, botox, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8210/15/2014

Is it true the egomaniac, douche-bag, eye-patch wearing actor in Living in Oblivion is based on Brad Pitt?

I sort of lump him into the same bin as Tom Cruise. Mediocre actors in mediocre films.

by Anonymousreply 8310/15/2014

i'm watching it now and i thought the same thing - his acting sucks

by Anonymousreply 8405/01/2015

R40, thank you for your post. This perfectly illustrates how phony celebrities manufacture their image. Pitt is aging terribly. His "pretty" is all gone.

by Anonymousreply 8505/01/2015

I think R13 nailed it. He's okay. Can be good sometimes. Can be bad sometimes. Mostly okay.

by Anonymousreply 8605/01/2015

R83 You'd compare Cruise to Pitt? Say what about Cruise, but he's a very charismatic guy. Pitt isn't even close.

Pity they're both crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8705/01/2015

by Anonymousreply 8805/01/2015

He's the go-to-guy if you're looking for cocksure and smug.

He does that very well in Se7en, which is an abysmal film. I thought Inglorious Basterds was unwatchable and turned it off after about 20 minutes. The whole film was both smug and tedious. Tarantino hasn't made a good film since Jackie Brown, but he coasts along on the same old schtick and the fanboys fall over themselves to praise him every time.

Pitt is a terrible actor. Overly mannered, no range; the gap between his actual gifts (such as they are) and what he presumes to be his gifts is cavernous. He's also full of shit. But he was incredibly beautiful in his heyday. I must say, I thought he was very good in Tree of Life which is a shit-stain of a movie. Malick, like Tarantino, is another director who's incapable of making anything of worth now but who clearly has a very high opinion of his (vanished) talent.

by Anonymousreply 8905/01/2015

by Anonymousreply 9005/01/2015

Granted, I've only seen a few of his movies, but he was a very good actor in them. I thought Meet Joe Black and Benjamin Button would both be yawnfests, but both movies were very enjoyable, mainly due to Brad's acting.

by Anonymousreply 9105/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!