Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The GOP and the Latino/Hispanic Population

So will Republicans succeed in winning over enough of the Latino/Hispanic audience that it will help win elections?

If they do manage some kind of immigration reform, I do think they will make major inroads in a way they've never been able to do with the Black population. And that will spell trouble for liberals and progressives.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Their brand is terribly damaged there, and Latino voters are younger and more socially liberal than Anglos as a group.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

I had a few chichanos here today working my gardens. They hate the republicans and love Obama. Which I was surprised, because they are all catholic mind controlled machismo. Very sweet though.. They were going on about immigration, guns, and the Boston Bombers legal status.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

And these assumptions are based on nothing more than your feelings. You have nothing of substance to base your theories on. Is your name psychic Sylvia Brown?

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Every elected Democratic president since Harry Truman, in 1948, nationally carried the Catholic vote.

Evangelical Christians are hard-core Republican.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

I'm Hispanic, and I don't think the OP could be more wrong. I know no one in my extended family or friend circle who would even consider voting Republican... More viciously / deliciously anti-Republican people you could not meet.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

R5 -- does it boil down to Republican = Racist?

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

No, because in typical stereotypical fashion, they don't recognize the differences between Latino heritage. Choosing a "token Latino" will piss off the other

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Pretty much, R6. With the exception of one kooky religious cousin, they also tend to hold progressive views on both gay marriage and abortion rights... It's not an inherently conservative voting bloc, I think. The GOP conflates Cubans with every other Hispanic group... That's why they think they have a shot with us.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.