Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Subjects/objects they almost never get right in movies

Rock Stars - they hardly never come off as authentic.

Wat else?

by Anonymousreply 5404/26/2013

Anything to do with the art world.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

Lesbian sex scenes.

The only movie that I ever saw that even came close to getting it right was Black Swan.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

[quote]Rock Stars - they hardly never come off as authentic

& sometimes they do.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

People from the American South, especially the poor

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Journalism/writing for magazines - outside of All The President's Men, journalism is a job given as an excuse to have a character get into an 'interesting' (read: high concept) situation. Usually in romantic comedies.

Similarly, advertising.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

OP, any musician for that matter

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Boston accents

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Alien invasions. They almost never get that right.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Anal

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Nuns. Too attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

The disco/club scene -- always looks like the budget was $39.

Hallways in apartment buildings -- even in modest digs, the corridors are always wide enough to drive a Buick through them, and furnished at regular intervals with mahogany lamp tables and the walls hung with framed prints.

Agree with R1 about anything art-related.

Rich people's homes in TV series.

Telephone conversations.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

Blowjobs

I have never seen a realistic blowjob in a movie before. Maybe it has to do with the economy of time, but as soon as someone goes down on a guy in a film, the guy instantly starts moaning and a minute later he is writhing toward this huge orgasm. I would imagine most straight women think this is all it takes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

R14: The Paper Chase got it right, though.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

Front doors. They're either unlocked or have one simple lock that the characters can open easily. Keys, too -- no one seems to have unwieldy bunches of keys that they have to juggle while carrying in groceries or packages.

Garbage cans sitting out in kitchens, with bin liners stretched over the tops. Where are they?

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

Classical musicians. Unless the actor plays the instrument depicted with some mastery, it always looks FAKE and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

[quote] Blowjobs. I have never seen a realistic blowjob in a movie before.

I beg your fucking pardon!

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

They never show the tedium of a criminal trial such as laying the legal foundation for the introduction of physical evidence.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

[quote] They never show the tedium of a criminal trial such as laying the legal foundation for the introduction of physical evidence.

And why would they?

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

Weddings... They always leave out the paperwork required to actually make it legal.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

Organists. They're always shown as some little old lady who just kind of does it as a hobby. Having known several organists (my mother included), they're generally highly trained musicians and take it quite seriously... Generally they have little to no interest in the religious aspects of it since they quite often have to hop from one denomination to another depending on the job.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

[quote] Boston accents.

Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

It would be easier if you'd ask what they get right in movies which is hardly anything. Nothing takes as long as it takes in real life because every movie would need three parts. No profession using half a brain comes off well.

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

For R2

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

Hispanic women -- I mean, we have come a long way, but the busty, angry Latina that suddenly starts speaking Spanish is still with us.

Many Hispanic women are very dignified, would never scream at anyone and are suprising well-educated.

by Anonymousreply 2704/21/2013

Male prostitutes - In the real world they cater to men but in the movies they cater to women

The dance world - In the real world many male dancers are gay, in the movies 99% of them are straight

by Anonymousreply 2804/21/2013

[quote]Male prostitutes - In the real world they cater to men but in the movies they cater to women

I guess you've never visited the site backpage.com. I can always pick out the "ladies only" guys - they're the ones I really want to meet. :(

by Anonymousreply 2904/21/2013

[quote]Blow jobs.....a minute later he is writhing toward this huge orgasm. I would imagine most straight women think this is all it takes.

Oh, yes, that's exactly what we think (eye roll). It's why we fraus LOVE giving bj's so much---because it's over an done in 60 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 3004/22/2013

The banality and/or mundaneness of most peoples lives.

by Anonymousreply 3204/22/2013

Dorm rooms. I have yet to see a dorm room depicted correctly.

The wise/sassy black best friend. Yes, I know that there are many white people with black friends, even black best friends, but the in real life friends are more similar. Some waspy white girl is not going to have some sassy black girl as her best friend.

by Anonymousreply 3304/22/2013

Movies are like life...with the boring parts taken out.

by Anonymousreply 3404/22/2013

Southern accents

by Anonymousreply 3504/23/2013

Movie titles. A movie in a movie, the title always sounds lame. Same with song titles.

by Anonymousreply 3604/23/2013

Which movies get rockstars right?

by Anonymousreply 3704/23/2013

Computers. ANYTHING dealing with computers. From simply logging in, to searching for stuff, to .... well ... anything really. Especially "hacking".

They even get reading and sending email wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3804/23/2013

Time travel.

by Anonymousreply 3904/23/2013

CPR. Lesbians. Military haircuts. Goths.

All subjects could be improved by a simple Wikipedia search. It's embarrassing every time!

by Anonymousreply 4004/23/2013

CPR is always weak looking and extremely slow. The worst fake CPR I've seen in a movie was given by Daniel Craig as James Bond, in a scene that was supposed to be serious and sad.

Lesbians are always portrayed as man-like or bisexual. In reality, I don't know many of either.

The Hollywood version of military haircuts always look like extreme ass, or are completely disregarded.

Goths are always portrayed as crazy or violent, which makes me wonder if movies are written by soccer moms from the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 4104/23/2013

Someone else already mentioned Southern accents, but ditto. Any time a movie takes place in the South, all the characters speak with a slow drawl and sound like they have an IQ of -5. Maybe one-percent of Southerners talk that way, most do not. They make Southern whites and blacks both sound ridiculous in different ways. It's insulting.

One accent is way overdone in TV and movies, in particular, Texas! Every Texas character has to talk in hillbilly drawl. I have lived in Texas most of my life and have heard very few people actually speak that way. Why can't they just let the characters speak in their natural way? Do they think the audiences are really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 4204/23/2013

Re: Subjects/objects they almost never get right in movies

Actresses in the Legitimate Theater.

by Anonymousreply 4304/23/2013

(r 37) Which movies get rockstars right?

Believe it or not, The Runaways did a pretty good job. t

by Anonymousreply 4404/23/2013

not only southern accents, but southerners... I could tell immediately that "Junebug" was created by actual southerners... by the pace and interaction of characters. unless you're of a Shakespeare intellect, it might be best to write of what you know.

by Anonymousreply 4504/23/2013

In films and TV:

The rich are always snobs who get their come-uppance at the end of the film/show.

Poor people are always shown living in squalor and are uneducated dolts.

Surfers and metal heads always say "whoa, dude!" and have low I.Q.s.

Every character from Texas is in the oil business and dresses like an extra from Hee-Haw (lots of rhinestones and glitter) and drives a long white Cadillac with a bull's longhorns as a hood ornament.

People who live in rural areas and small towns are ALWAYS portrayed as less educated than their city counterparts, and are shown as loveable buffoons and church fanatics. The woman have huge hair and say "hon" and "sugar" a lot.

All Texans live for high school football, rodeo, beer, high school football, gun shows, stock shows, high school football, church, have girlfriends named Bobbie Sue and Sally Jo, drive pick-up trucks, and live for high school football. They all have oil money too. No matter where in Texas a film takes place, it always depicts the desert. Only a small portion of West Texas is desert. The rest of the state is very diverse.

No one ever locks their car doors. The only time they are (conveniently) locked is when a victim is being chased and they have to fumble for (and drop) their keys countless times.

No one ever notices the mad man hiding in the backseat of their car when they get in.

Every cop is divorced and is a barely-functioning alcoholic and is living on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

Everyone in movies and sitcoms lives waaayyyy above their means. Coffee shop workers live in loft apartments. Middle-class families live in massive homes and sprawling mansions.

Every female main character is a lawyer, doctor, fashion designer or actress.

Every male character is a writer, no matter what their primary career is. They are working on that novel that's going to give them their big break

by Anonymousreply 4604/23/2013

Reginald Van Johnson's cop characters were never like that, R46, therefore I think your entire post is specious.

by Anonymousreply 4704/23/2013

I think his entire post is special, too.

by Anonymousreply 4804/23/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4904/24/2013

Every person in the military is an infantryman. In Hollywood, the majority of people in the military don't have support jobs. Also, everyone is portrayed as having a heart of gold overshadowed by PTSD.

Rifles and pistols always sound like a shotgun, and bullets passing overhead make a whoosh noise instead of a quick high pitched sound.

All predator birds make a scream noise.

Heterosexuals have brief sex without foreplay that always ends in simultaneous orgasm.

Gay men never kiss.

Lesbians are merely waiting to try the right penis.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

Space travel.

Email.

Anything to do with computers, but especially 'hacking'.

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

Getting punched always sounds like a big slab of meat getting smacked.

Swords make the "schwing" sound when they are removed from a scabbard.

by Anonymousreply 5204/26/2013

[quote]Computers. ANYTHING dealing with computers. From simply logging in, to searching for stuff, to .... well ... anything really. Especially "hacking". They even get reading and sending email wrong.

Although not a movie, I think this is what you're talking about

by Anonymousreply 5304/26/2013

[quote]Nuns. Too attractive.

Yes, good one, R11. Also, teachers are too attractive.

Police officers are always in prime physical condition. In real life, they're almost all overweight.

by Anonymousreply 5404/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.