Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patriotic Gays

I don't get it. How can one be a gay person in this country and still feel one iota of patriotism for it? I don't understand Ra-Ra browbeating patriotism to begin with. It's nationalistic and fascist. But besides that, I REALLY don't understand how a gay person could feel pride for a nation that has continually spat on them.

I'm not saying you have to hate America, but don't go around waving that damn flag like every other knuckle dragger.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013

Patriotism is unpleasant. Unless it involves a busby or an officer's commission.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

OP, you should get out of the basement. Go to another country or two. You have no clue what the rest the world is like.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

Because most of us can hold more than one thought in our brain?

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

R2, I do, I've lieved abroad and the USA isn't that fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

[quote] knuckle dragger

OP, I love you! Or love that saying.

I do understand and, to some degree, agree with what you're saying. But the world is not black and white. Situations are complex, and we have complex reactions to them.

Sometimes we don't celebrate what is. Sometimes we celebrate what it can be.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Pep rallies in public schools. So gauche.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Because, OP there are other issues besides who's cock you are sucking.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

r7, exactly, I'm not disagreeing with that. I think anyone who is actually examining the issues and not just the ones that the media feeds us, will understand why patriotism is such an ugly thing. Until we are not treated like second class citizens we should openly and loudly criticize America until we have what we deserve as human beings.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

R8 I agree with some of your ideas but you have the terminology wrong.

You are confusing patriotism with nationalism, or ethnocentricity, or xenophobia.

Having a love for one's country isn't ugly. But nationalism (a great passion that surpasses patriotism and can take on ugly or violent tones) or xenophobia (a dislike of anything perceived to be foreign) can definitely be ugly.

Sorry, don't mean to be Pollyanna Prisspot with grammar but I think nationalism or something other than "patriotism" is what you mean here.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Patriotism in the USA is a knee jerk reaction.

Americans chant USA#1 USA#1, because they have been programmed to do it all their lives.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

Why is it ok for other nationalities to be patriotic, but not for Americans?

You'll find patriotic people in every country on earth, but in the U.S. it's considered a character flaw.

by Anonymousreply 1104/23/2013

Worst nation on earth. We should all hate it.

How many threads is this gurl gonna start? If she hates her country so bad she could always move to a wonderful paradise like Iraq, Libya, Pakistan or North Korea. I sure they would welcome her with open legs.

by Anonymousreply 1204/23/2013

OP - You are trying to stir up more Anti-American shit. You are trying to imply that the U.S. is such a terrible place for gays. Try Iraq or Uganda! Then you'll see the U.S. is actually (becoming) a great place for gays. I don't know how you people in terrorist sleeper cells treat your fellow gays, but our country is making great strides. If you hate it so much, why don't you go to a place that would suit you better (like Uganda)?

You're either a Muslim or a terrorist sympathizer. Either that, or you're one of the worst types of Liberals (the type that make me ashamed to be Liberal) that demonizes everything the U.S. does and excuses every act that another country makes by saying it is "justified" due to the U.S.'s policies abroad.

Get a life and educate yourself. Don't just watch an Anti-American 9-11 YouTube video and think you're educated. You're probably 20 years old, straight and you believe every tinhat theory since the JFK assassination. Get a clue, kid. The U.S is a great nation. Every nation has policies than can have a negative effect somewhere else. It can't be helped sometimes.

I have lived abroad (in many countries). I promise you that the U.S., Canada, Britain and Australia are the greatest nations on earth. Travel to some of those countries you think are so great, I promise you will come back with tears in your eyes and your tail between your legs. You will thank your lucky stars you're back.

by Anonymousreply 1304/23/2013

France looks like a nice option for gays right now.

by Anonymousreply 1404/23/2013

Have you buffoons been sleeping through the last fucking decade? The U.S. is one of the best nations for homosexuals. Things are getting better by the fucking day. Gay marriage will soon be the law of the land. We are making huge strides. This is just another one of those Pro-Islam, AntiAmerican threads. I'm so sick of these. Sorry, OP, you're not going to convert anyone to your way of not-thinking.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

Op, if the us hadn't kicked the German's/Japanese asses you'd be sucking dick in a concentration camp now. Btw, after we kicked their asses, we built them back up with the Marshall plan.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

Yeah, OP, I'm with you. We should all move to somewhere more gay friendly like Uganda. They love us there. Westboro Baptist Church will help us get there.

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013

[R7] I know, I know! But that 24 year old Latin dick I sucked yesterday, attached to a soldier, well, his dick was the only thing that mattered at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1804/23/2013

Where does the OP get off saying that we should hate this country because it so awful to gays? Uh, no. Even at its worst, this country has been a far better place for gays than 99.9% of the countries on this planet.

I agree with several others that OP is probably posting from a bunker in Toronto where he lives with his sleeper cell. I guess he thinks he can turn us to his way of thinking. Fuck yourself, OP. Why fuck up this country? Go live somewhere that will make you more "free to be you."

by Anonymousreply 1904/23/2013

I have a feeling that OP faces Mecca when he sucks dick.

by Anonymousreply 2004/23/2013

It's bad toilet training OP. It is responsible for all the ills and insanity of the world.

by Anonymousreply 2104/23/2013

OP loves inventing controversy.

[quote]I'm not saying you have to hate America, but don't go around waving that damn flag like every other knuckle dragger.

Yes, because this is a common occurance among gay people. Why, just this weekend at brunch Jonathon showed up in an American flag "these colors don't run" t-shirt, with a tiny little button of a crying eagle, the World Trade Center and the words "never forget". Then he ordered French toast but insisted on calling it "Freedom toast". So embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 2204/23/2013

I want french toast. My diet no longer allows it.

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

I'm so happy to see that this thread didn't go the way the OP had hoped. And to make a thread like this right after a terrorist attack on our soil is pathetic. I'm a Liberal who loves his country and wants the best for my fellow citizens even when we disagree.

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

1. The US Military has permanent armed forces located in 71 different countries.

2. America is the only Western country who does not have pubic healthcare - which could be paid for entirely by a 40% reduction the Pentagons current budget.

3. Wall Street was bailed out to the actual tune of $1.7 Trillion since 2008, yet they are still trading high risk things like hedge funds and mortgage backed securities, the same way today. They never learned, they didn't have to.

4. The current generation of American college graduates are saddled with huge students loans and working at minimum to low paying jobs, thinking these jobs are only temporary.

5. Americans watch over 1,000 hours of reality TV, for every hour of Science or Technology based programming.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

R25 OMG! Thank you for showing me what a terrible country this is. I have finally seen the light. I am officially renouncing my U.S. citizenship and I am moving to a more civilized and humane country like Libya, Iran, Iraq, Uganda, or Cuba. At least in one of those places I can live a life of freedom and finally express my homosexuality without fear. Thank you for showing me that this is the worst country in the history of the world. I am packing my bags as I type.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

The thing that is great about this country is that we can change it, the country changes, and can learn from its mistakes (i.e. womens' rights, civil rights, the growing gay rights movement.) Look at how many different people, with different ideas are here, and for the most part, everything is pretty much okay..a nut like the Phelps group is called out, and bikers go out and form an honor guard to protect the families from their hate. No country will ever be perfect.

I have to laugh at all the people constantly going on about how advanced European nations are when you see the train wreck of France.

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

[quote]You are confusing patriotism with nationalism, or ethnocentricity, or xenophobia.

I agree with you R9.

There's a lot that is wrong with the U.S., but we have a lot of things on the plus side. I've viewed our country from the outside, having spent a lot of time working overseas. There are other nations where I could enjoy life just as much as here in the U.S., but like the USA, there will still be things that aren't perfect.

At one time, a guy on my team was 39-years-old. Discussing aspects of the country where we were working at that time, we noted that he was one of the oldest people in that nation. The life expectancy for men was 38. Can you imagine what it would be like to know that chances are you wouldn't make it to 40.

Just knowing you can live decades beyond that in the U.S. should give you an appreciation for some of what we have here.

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Half of the USA is still Jesusland.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!