Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This may sound mean

What is it with so many fat girls who are into Wicca, Ren Fests and bellydancing? I was in a shop that sells all sorts of Wicca accessories and every girl in there was chubby or obese. There is a bellydance school in the same shopping center and many of them were in their practice gear.

by Anonymousreply 4805/12/2013

I've heard it best described thusly...By and large, most Wiccans are bi and large.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

If you don't fit into mainstream society (thin and pretty), you go fringe.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

People in the real Middle Ages were thin for the most part. Unless you were aristocracy you didn't have a lot of food.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

There were hardly any fat people in the Middle Ages. Being large was a luxury in that time. 90% of the population were peasants and most peasants were emaciated waifs, not pleasantly plump unless they had a very generous lord or something.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

[quote]If you don't fit into mainstream society (thin and pretty), you go fringe.

Or if you don't want to. Not all women want to conform to imposed standards.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

"This may sound mean"

But you got off on it, didn't you? Are you still wiping up the gizz?

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

You sick bastard, R7! That was my mother!

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

They smoke copious amounts of pot, mean girl. Seriously, if your idea of a typical Wiccan is gleaned from watching Charmed, Buffy and The Secret Circle then you are going to be disappointed. Although many gay women practice Wicca or are Pagans so are gay men, African Americans, older adults, people who practice alternative healing arts as well as health care professionals, goths, hippies, YUPPIE professionals, etc. It's a pretty eclectic scene The bellydancing is a way to honor the Goddess and is also excellent for toning and weight loss. They probably couldn't care less what your judgemental ass thinks of them. Perhaps Wicca is not for you.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

R9 I'm an atheist. so no. Wicca is not for me. Sounds like some new age shit for eclectic sorts to practice.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

The big women are also into doll houses. Go to any convention of miniaturists and the theme could easily be "Baby Elephant Walk." Obese women all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

And what were YOU doing at a dollhouse convention, you butch thing at R11?

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

Because they are told that they are "goddesses".

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

Like that damn Tuesday Weld. What a heifer!

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

If Wicca magick was for real, all those girls would be skinny. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

[quote] Being large was a luxury in that time. 90% of the population were peasants and most peasants were emaciated waifs

Actually, people in the Middle Ages mostly had enough food. The big causes of death were disease, injury, war/attacks. Populations were relatively small.

When the Black Death came along in the 1300s, shortages of food became common because so many people who had worked the land and been in animal husbandry had died. The industrial age was another era of poverty and shortage. Industrialists demanded inhuman work schedules, brutal workplace and living conditions and too little salary. People were kept hungry, exhausted and victims of illness and pollution/workplace poisoning.

Periods of extreme weather at times brought about food shortages. The Little Ice Age and occasional droughts in Europe. The potato famine was brought about by the British philosophy of the plantation economy, where one main crop was grown (in Ireland it was potatoes, in the Americas -- cotton, tobacco, rice, bananas, cocoa, coffee). The entire county of Ireland was turned into a potato plantation by absentee British landlords. The economy in parts of the American south collapsed with the boll weevil.

For the most part -- at least in England, Scotland and Wales, being a medieval peasant was not a bad life. Check out Terry Jones episode on the Peasant in his series Medieval Lives.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

r17, I have never met a Wiccan, Witch or Pagan who spent two hours on a treadmill every day and obsessed about carbs. I suppose they are out there. I'm not saying Pagans don't exercise but most of them probably practice Tai Chi, Qi Gong, meditation and use music and ecstatic dance to enter into an altered state of consciousness, where communion with the Gods takes place. It is also a lifestyle that celebrates the senses. Good food, drink, smoke, sex, intellectual stimulation, spending time in nature. Like I said, they come in all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities. And I think you exaggerate about all of them being fat. Having hips, tits and an ass, in other words a womanly body, is considered desirable and represents the physical embodiment of the Goddess. I might add, though I've met many really attractive and physically fit men in that world, quite a few are cuddly bears. Nothing wrong with that either. Don't even get me started on what you don't know about Magick.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

r10, Happy Easter to Christians ... Happy Passover to Jews... Atheists, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

I've never understood why belly dancers always have flat abdomens. Chubettes are true belly dancers.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

"I was in a shop that sells all sorts of Wicca accessories"

aka "I'm an eye-rolling twink with a $7.00/hr. part-time cashier job."

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

No R22 but your description is funny. I was in there looking at wind chimes. They have a good selection.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

Not where I live, R16. It's actually rare to see people who aren't trim and who don't run, bike, hike or workout in some way.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2013

A version of Amish, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 2504/22/2013

Fat girls have to do things to make themselves feel/seem sexy.

Thin girls don't.

by Anonymousreply 2604/22/2013

I've known some skinny women who had not one iota of sexy, r26. And plenty of earth mama's who were all that. Stop pigeonholing and making assinine assupmptions about people based on their weight. Pagans are about as far from being Amish as they are from Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc. Another assinine post based on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2704/22/2013

...R27 pigeonholing Amish, Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran etc.

by Anonymousreply 2804/22/2013

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If dim overhead lighting and beer can't get a big bitch laid, maybe sorcery, witchcraft (and beer) will work!

by Anonymousreply 2904/22/2013

OP, I don't understand why women who pursue the "enhancement of their inner goddess" aren't also very focused on physical fitness and health. Who's buying all of the yoga wear that's now so popular as a line of clothing?

by Anonymousreply 3004/22/2013

Can anyone explain if Tai Chi is a legit form of exercise? Does it work? I've googled it many times and an totally lost.

by Anonymousreply 3104/22/2013

"OP, I don't understand why women who pursue the "enhancement of their inner goddess" aren't also very focused on physical fitness and health."

Being healthy is VERY different from being fashionably slender, especially for women. I know you don't want to believe it, but a well-nourished chubby woman is much healthier than a supermodel who keeps her weight down with bulimia and cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 3204/23/2013

Tai Chi can be very physical. It is, after all, a martial art. But its also popular will older people because you don't have to put yourself through too much, while still getting a workout.

by Anonymousreply 3304/23/2013

OP, it's funny you started this thread, because it seems that you're right. I used to have a friend that was into wicca, and she was a short, fat thing.

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013

Short Fat Thing.

Oddly enough, that was the reason I broke up with my last ex.....

by Anonymousreply 3504/23/2013

...'cause he had a short, fat thing.

by Anonymousreply 3604/23/2013

Why were you there, op? Are you a Wiccan?

by Anonymousreply 3704/23/2013

R33, Thanks for your response. Don't know if it's necessary to start a new thread on Tai Chi. However most seem to practice in a group setting. Can you really learn it by trying to copy others?

by Anonymousreply 3804/23/2013

OP, simply because people are fatter nowadays than they used to be. Computer boys, Wiccan girls, name it, they are all fatter than the previous generations.

In the 70s and 80s (and before, I suppose), there would be one chubby kid per class. Now 2/3 of the class is pudgy according to 70s-80s standards.

Have you watched Deliverance lately ? Ned Beatty doesn't seem THAT obese anymore, does he ?

So, no, wiccan new age is not my cup of tea, but their practionner are not worse than most of the rest of society...

by Anonymousreply 3904/23/2013

I have been to the US at least 10 times and I did not see fat people. Where are they?

by Anonymousreply 4004/23/2013

Where were you R40? On the coasts?

Most fat people live in the middle lands. Think Bavaria.

by Anonymousreply 4104/23/2013

Yes, I was on both coasts.

by Anonymousreply 4204/23/2013

Be careful not to generalize about fly-over territory and physical fitness. Family of mine live in MI and OH. The entire family is into health,fitness and healthy eating. Not a fat person in the bunch. Their neighbors are the same way, too.

The folks in the Wicca shop near me are not fat, but not thin either. Just, well, average size, if that is the word.

by Anonymousreply 4304/23/2013

People are fatter on the coasts then they are in most European countries. Then again nothing when compared to Flyoverstan.I'm alarmed when I see heifers in the Midwest,it seems to be every other girl that's obese.

R42 Average size in the US is far bigger than it was 20 heck even 40 years ago. 40 years ago a size medium would have be a size large shirt. I mean Americans have gotten fatter.

by Anonymousreply 4504/24/2013

WHat OP said but add to that a lot of gay bears. Not most of them of course, but a HUGE number of gay guys, typically bears but also a lot of otherwise loaners seem to be attracted to Wicca and things like the Minoan Brotherhood which at one point, slightly interested me.

The heavy women and Wicca thing goes along with the fact that so many obese females are also into goth.

I went to a Garbage concert last month and had no idea there's be so many goth fatty girls all over the place. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 4604/24/2013

R46 I haven't seen as many bears, but I know what you mean.

It's always some loner who lives in an apartment with six ferrets. Those dudes either do Wicca or join the Radical Faeries.

I went home to trick with one many years ago - he was hot and had abs to spare - but between learning he didn't wear deodorant and the stench of the ferrets I didn't stay long enough to see what was in his pants.

Having lots of cats or these damn ferrets seems to be something a lot of Wiccans and faeries do.

by Anonymousreply 4704/24/2013

It's disturbing seeing high school girls who look like 35 year old matrons who have already dropped three or four crotch fruit.

Maybe fatties are attracted to that scene because they can get laid easier. Isn't there a lot of group activity going on in Wicca?

by Anonymousreply 4805/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.