Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Illusion of Money

I met this girl. You would think she was raised in a back-hollow shack in West Virginia. But it turned out she lived on Park Avenue. We ended up having a few drinks together and I found out her family was in mining. She was fun, no airs, richer than midas, but you can't take West Virginia out of the girl. She says she can't find a boyfriend.

Another friend of mine hasn't got a dime. Yet, you'd think he came from a long line of aristocrats. He reads the Social Diary and shows up at events he's not invited to. He wears Brioni suits he hasn't paid for. Because he's goodlooking and can namedrop like a pro, he gets in everywhere.

It made me wonder. Isn't the illusion of wealth sometimes as powerful as the wealth itself. My friend says he expects to meet a man (or a woman) who will appreciate his looks and taste and give him the lifestyle he is faking right now. I have a feeling he'll be successful in his quest. But I don't think he'll find love.

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013

This reads like one of Carrie Bradshaw's conundrums on Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

Is there something wrong with your lady friend? Why is it not possible for her to find a boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

I used to date this guy who was from podunk West Virginia, but he had exquisite taste. He was fairly young and couldn't have been making much money as a piano teacher...I used to wonder if his credit cards were maxed out or something because he was dedicated to leaving his humble roots behind.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Wealth alone does nothing. The power ticket is a combination of two or more attributes: wealth, breeding and/or class. Your WV friend has the one attribute. Your attractive friend has, or pretends to have, one attribute. While he might get in everywhere, I can assure you he is nothing more than a prop who is probably ridiculed in the more private events.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

But in the end, I was still left with the question: can money make you happy? - Carrie

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

[quote]But I don't think he'll find love.

He's not looking for love. He's looking for a lifestyle and power.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Success means nothing unless you have some you love to share it with.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Friend #2's tactic has worked out for some people, though obviously very few have been led to an *extremely* lucrative place because of it. You have to start young.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Wealth will enhance what you already have naturally.

Wealth can also be used for manipulation and control to give you what you don't have naturally, but this is a 2 way street. So, smile for the camera sweety and I'll give you $100.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

A friend of mine had a line of rich boyfriends who kept him in style for years and years. But, in the end (he's 58 now), he never thought to save or invest a penny of what had to have been millions and millions of dollars. He doesn't have any real estate or vehicles in his name. And, because of the way he treated friends and relatives when he was riding high, no one cared about him when he was down.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Besides the fact your poseur friend is being deliberately dishonest, nobody will want anything to do with him if they find out he's skint, so I hope he enjoys the freebies while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

That girl friend of yours needs to go down to Hog Holler on Sadie Hawkin's Day and club herself a Jethro!

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

Poseur Guy is going to lead a miserable existence, once he hits middle age. It's very difficult for a man to capitalize on his looks in the long term, hardly anyone wants to treat an older man like an expensive boyfriend, and nobody will want to marry such an obvious gold-digger without an ironclad prenup.

He's going to be one of those bitter old things who lives in a tiny apartment full of old press clippings.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

Sounds like that guy who killed Versace

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

If you know how to do something else in addition to posing (any type of business or expertise, or having actual entrepreneurship skills, for instance), faking it can more easily score you some friends and clients in high places. If you're just an interloper with no other skills, it won't last. The only hope would be to marry rich at your physical and social peak, then divorce. Making sure the person is someone who would pay you off, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1504/23/2013

I always scoff when I see some perp's mugshot and it says they possessed "50 stolen credit cards" or some damn thing. Honey, if I had those I'd be in diamonds and furs and on my way to South America- not in a dirty windbreaker looking like a truck just rolled over me.

Taste and class are inborn.

by Anonymousreply 1604/23/2013

OP your friend sounds like a desperate wannabe Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt.

by Anonymousreply 1704/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!