Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Koch Brothers Posture to Purchase EIGHT Newspapers

The millionaire oil moguls Charles and David Koch are pushing ahead with their plans to purchase several news outlets across the United States, according to a detailed report in the New York Times on Sunday.

This isn't a good for democracy.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013

I hope this doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

Disgraceful.

The Fourth estate is dead.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

[quote]A deal could include Hoy, the second-largest Spanish-language daily newspaper, which speaks to the pivotal Hispanic demographic.

If the deal goes forward, the paper could be called "Oy!"

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

This is why the media portrays Ronald Reagan as a saint. There used to be laws that promoted and enforced diversity in media ownership.

Now a small handful of companies own every TV network, channel and station, every eradio station, every major movie and recording studio, every newspaper and major book publishing company in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Newspapers are obsolete.

They are buying useless junk nobody under 40 reads anymore.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

This shit is messed up.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

R5 is right. This is what's destroying our media. About a half dozen voices own 80% of the media in this country.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

More people in my city read the free weekly paper than read the daily paper that you pay for. And the weekly is crammed full of ads while the daily only has a lot of ads on Sunday. And guess which one is hurting financially?

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

I will continue to get my news from Democracy Now and other independent news sources.

Not only is Amy Goodman one of the last few real journalists left, she's one of the last few bringing people the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

They probably own more than half the members of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

[quote]We aren't a democracy. We are a republic. Don't ever forget that

Oh, dear. Surely you know that a republic has democratic organs, yes?

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

Could they be killed? Perhaps if we held a prayer vigil? Wouldn't that be a monopoly? It's even worse the Rupert Murdock. The Koch Brothers are like the Devil incarnate.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

Couldn't buy the election so now they find some other way to corrupt minds. I'm with R14.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

A superconservative newspaper will not do well in the LA area. It will just hasten the death of the LATimes all the more.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

The Chicago Trib is a conservative paper, but it's conservative to moderate. This will be a sharp right turn.

But if the Koch-suckers own the Chicago Trib, the Sun Times is dead. They currently print on the Trib's presses under a joint operating agreement, and that will die the minute the Kochs take over.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

"Newspapers are obsolete. They are buying useless junk nobody under 40 reads anymore."

Print newspapers are increasingly obsolete, but the online versions are widely used on multiple devices. This is what the Koches are truly after.

We'll have 8 more FreeRepublic.coms now.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

There are a couple of big investors who are Democratic Party donors who are also putting in a bid, but they only want the Los Angeles Time.

The Koches buying Hoy is just another example of how the Right is trying to get the Latinos on its side.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

They'll just be preaching to the choir.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

The more they tighten their grip, the more star systems will slip through their fingers!

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

CUNTS

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

If I own the website Cooks4Love.com, listing hundreds of cooking recipes and one day, I start deleting the recipes and uploading bible stories, my readers are not going to become Jesus freaks. They are just going to leave and find another cooking site.

This is what the Koch Brothers do not get.

They are dinosaurs trying to manipulate a media technology, neither of them understand. They will fail and hopefully go bankrupt in the process.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

Print media is dying fast. Just look up the Newspaper Death watch site. Many have failed & many will fail soon no matter what some Rich guys try. Newspapers do not have the influence they once had.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

R23, it won't be as simple or obvious as that. They won't start printing right wing screeds on day one, but they will quash stories that don't portray their interests well (like environmental issues, governmental deregulation and labor issues) and weave thinly veiled bias throughout their coverage. Don't think the public is too smart to fall for this. It's already been happening for the last 30 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

Why are some of you anxious about this news? If the Koch Brothers are involved it is sure to ultimately be an expensive failure (i.e. the Republican election, wine purchase, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 2604/23/2013

[quote]We aren't a democracy. We are a republic. Don't ever forget that

We are both a democracy and a republic. The Soviet Union was also a republic. But it was not a democracy.

The UK is a democracy but is not a republic. The two aren't the same thing.

One is a process and the other is a form of government.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.