Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can you think of one unselfish reason for having a baby?

I'm drawing a blank here.

by Anonymousreply 10310/29/2014

Organ donation?

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

Well you wouldn't have been born OP.

Oh the tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

That's fine, R2. I'm down with that.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

It's the only reason you exist.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

Wanting a clean house and breakfast in bed, but realizing you're only one person and can't do everything yourself.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Just doing what our bodies are biologically geared to do?

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Spoken like a true Freeper, R6.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Usually it makes the grandparents really happy.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

So liberals don't think that our bodies are biologically geared towards creating babies? As a liberal, I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Who's going to grow your food, manufacture your reading glasses and change your diapers when you're old, dimwit OP?

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

To raise the kid as a future warrior against organized religion.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

R9. What the fuck do you think they are geared towards????? The only thing every biological organism has in common is they reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

No R7, it's called Science.

Reproduction is at the core of a living organism.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

to nurture and raise a messenger for the world- something a true gay man knows all about.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

Because raising a baby from infancy takes so much time and work that only a moron would think it a more a selfish than selfless act.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

No one is saying that gays are "defective" because they do not engage in reproductive intercourse. All that was said was that, biologically, the human body is designed for procreation. Why do you think you have testicles or ovaries? They aren't vestigial features. Now this doesn't mean that you are MEANT to procreate, it just simply means that all human bodies have this feature. It's science, not politics.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

Keeping the planet going? I've yet to see a California Redwood invent anything.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

[quote]Who's going to grow your food, manufacture your reading glasses and change your diapers when you're old, dimwit OP?

How the hell are those *unselfish* reasons, dimwit r10?

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

What a strange thread.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

[Keeping the planet going?]Keeping the planet going?

The planet was "going" before us, and will continue going without us.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

Can you think of one unselfish reason for breathing?

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

it not only makes grandparents happy it makes them grandparents to begin with

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

For you OP:

by Anonymousreply 2604/21/2013

r21 is a scary combination of retardation and rage.

by Anonymousreply 2704/21/2013

I'm enraged or even particularly interested, dimwit r10/r27, just parroting your own charming and elegant phrasing.

by Anonymousreply 2804/21/2013

continuation of the species

by Anonymousreply 2904/21/2013

As if the human species is in danger of dying off, R29??

by Anonymousreply 3004/21/2013

Well, you can't make a Dutch Baby at the county fair without a Dutch Baby.

by Anonymousreply 3104/21/2013

Is the OP asking whether wanting to have a family is selfish?

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2013

R23 isn't far behind in the bizarro sweepstakes.

by Anonymousreply 3304/21/2013

[quote]Is the OP asking whether wanting to have a family is selfish?

Ever heard of adoption? I know it's an awfully modern and novel experience.

by Anonymousreply 3404/21/2013

Why as a matter of fact I have, R34. I wasn't aware that people who want children are obligated to adopt, though. Can you tell us about this part?

by Anonymousreply 3504/21/2013

[quote]I wasn't aware that people who want children are obligated to adopt, though. Can you tell us about this part?

I had no idea that people who want children are obligated to adopt. My point was that OP assumes/ implies that having a family is through reproduction of the parent/s.

by Anonymousreply 3604/21/2013

Glutton for punishment...only reason to have a baby.

by Anonymousreply 3704/21/2013

If you have enjoyed any part of your life, you can imagine that you're giving the chance for some joy to a new person.

by Anonymousreply 3804/21/2013

Yea, no...I'm talking about reproducing using your own DNA, not adoption. I can see how adoption can be unselfish. But spawning, on the other hand...not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3904/21/2013

To give my husband the gift of being a father and the human joy of raising a child with me.

by Anonymousreply 4004/21/2013

To continue mankind? To produce someone who might make a difference in the future world? To carry on a family? To replace people who have died? To produce someone who might mean the world to someone someday?

by Anonymousreply 4104/21/2013

[quote]To continue mankind?

Really???

by Anonymousreply 4204/21/2013

Since when do people only do things that are unselfish?

by Anonymousreply 4304/21/2013

True but if everyone stopped procreating, those numbers would no longer apply in 75 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 4404/21/2013

[quote]To produce someone who might make a difference in the future world?

What are the odds your child is going to do that, honestly? Why not just do it yourself?

by Anonymousreply 4504/21/2013

[quote]To carry on a family?

Huh?

[quote]To replace people who have died?

See chart at R42.

by Anonymousreply 4604/21/2013

You are just jealous op!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4704/21/2013

[quote]True but if everyone stopped procreating, those numbers would no longer apply in 75 years from now.

EVERYONE will never stop procreating, short of some catastrophic event that wipes us all out anyway. That's a hypothetical situation that'll never happen, so why even go there? There will always be plenty of "accident" babies to keep the human race going.

by Anonymousreply 4804/21/2013

[quote]You are just jealous op!!!!!

Jealous of what, exactly? I hate children, for the record.

by Anonymousreply 4904/21/2013

It is always selfish to have a child. In 2013 there are no exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 5004/21/2013

Well, OP, you could use the argument that we need more openly gay, tolerant, liberal, loving parents, to offset a lot of what else is out there. Choosing to be a parent (or mentor, or teacher, or guide of any fashion) allows you to impact humanity's future, in a small, meaningful way. If you have your own little person, you could nurture all your values in that little person, who can then spread the word... Wait, this is sounding a little cult like... But you get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 5104/21/2013

[quote]Jealous of what, exactly? I hate children, for the record.

Jealous of other people's happiness.

by Anonymousreply 5204/21/2013

That's just stupid, R52. Some people really don't get the whole kid thing. That doesn't make them jealous, you imbecile.

I used to hate children when I was young. I found them loud, rude, and annoying. I have totally changed my mind about them (well, they're still those things above...), but I see the point of kids, and making space for them in society. That doesn't mean I was jealous back when I hated them.

by Anonymousreply 5304/21/2013

[quote]Jealous of other people's happiness.

Having a child would NOT make me happy--quite the contrary! It would be my worst nightmare. And I know plenty of unhappy parents, btw.

by Anonymousreply 5404/21/2013

But your interest in judging others and their motives for doing what they do indicates a certain discontent. Live and let live.

by Anonymousreply 5504/21/2013

Answer my question, R55. Give me one unselfish reason.

by Anonymousreply 5604/21/2013

There doesn't need to be an unselfish reason. People can do what they want. (and are driven by biological urges to have children)

by Anonymousreply 5704/21/2013

People are biologically driven to have sex, not to make babies.

by Anonymousreply 5804/21/2013

no. Most women (especially women some men too) have tremendous urges to have babies.

by Anonymousreply 5904/21/2013

Surrogacy

by Anonymousreply 6004/22/2013

Because a child has every chance of enjoying a wonderful, rewarding life, filled with great experiences, good people, and the opportunity to do good things.

by Anonymousreply 6104/22/2013

[quote]Spoken like a true Freeper, [R6].

Why do you say that? He or she is right.

by Anonymousreply 6304/22/2013

[quote]Because a child has every chance of enjoying a wonderful, rewarding life, filled with great experiences, good people, and the opportunity to do good things.

Actually, that chance is extremely slim.

by Anonymousreply 6404/23/2013

What's interesting is that if you google "is having a baby selfish", ALL the results that show up are threads/articles about the general consensus that NOT having a baby is selfish because you want to live your own life and that having a baby is selfless because you give up your life for another.

Yet here on the DL, it's the only place that's the total opposite in opinion.

by Anonymousreply 6504/23/2013

r51 actually has a good answer.

by Anonymousreply 6604/23/2013

The theory is that if you raise a child with love and care good ethics and relative intelligence- they will have good experiences and make good experiences for other people. They will experience things and joys that we can't even imagine. They will also help the world at large to be a better place.

Of course that only applies if one wants a child to love and care for.

In theory.

by Anonymousreply 6704/23/2013

One unselfish reason? Well, how about being impregnated by a dove which embodied the Holy Spirit? Surely it would be an abomination to end that pregnancy. Yea and verily.

by Anonymousreply 6804/23/2013

I just finished reading this book which explores this. Ths book explores the fact that some people with kids think it's selfish to NOT have a kid. Interesting topic. So many people ask my partner and I if we plan on having kids; when I say no, they remind me of all my options "but you can always adopt!", as if the reason why we don't have kids is because we had simply thought it wasn't possible for a same sex couple. We don't want kids because that's not what we feel would bring us joy. We like to travel, but not to Disney world.

by Anonymousreply 6904/23/2013

To have an impact on the next generation, by raising a person who will grow into an adult with good values and a nuanced world view. This is to counter all the fundie bigots popping out babies by the dozen and indoctrinating them into the right wing world view.

by Anonymousreply 7004/23/2013

To anger god?

by Anonymousreply 7104/23/2013

The people who think its selfish to NOT have children are mouth-breathing morons living in Jesusland, where every sperm is sacred and women willingly submit to their husbands. They also think that "gay" is a contagious disease and that Adam and Eve rode their pet dinosaurs to church 3 or 4 hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7204/23/2013

[quote]To replace people who have died?

Really?

The world population is exploding and resources are becoming increasingly scarce. Are you under the opposite impression? Are you seriously afraid humans will go extinct if everyone doesn't make more babies?

What causes this stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 7304/23/2013

Another unselfish reason: to provide spare parts for strangers.

by Anonymousreply 7404/23/2013

[quote]To give my husband the gift of being a father and the human joy of raising a child with me.

You consider that a good reason, R62? You couldn't even give an unselfish reason with out using the word "me" in there.

by Anonymousreply 7504/23/2013

[quote]To have an impact on the next generation

This can be achieved w/o breeding babies into the world.

by Anonymousreply 7604/23/2013

I thought a few years back when writing a will that it sure would be nice to have a kid that would benefit from a sizable estate instead of leaving out to the ungrateful offspring of my siblings. But then, I thought your own kids can be just as ungrateful.

by Anonymousreply 7704/23/2013

The world population really isn't exploding anymore.

Can you name one unselfish reason for NOT having a kid? Because really, when it comes down to it, the anti-kid folks are essentially as selfish as the people who have kids, but for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 7804/23/2013

[quote]no. Most women (especially women some men too) have tremendous urges to have babies.

Really? That's like saying squirrels have tremendous urges to plant trees. But they don't--they only have urges to store acorns. Your urge is to have sex, not to have babies.

by Anonymousreply 7904/23/2013

R79, not entirely correct. There is such a thing as parental urges and it can be strong.

by Anonymousreply 8004/23/2013

If they could, gays would be procreating left and right; if only for the accessories and baby showers.

by Anonymousreply 8104/23/2013

"If they could..."???

We can, moron @R81, and have been openly for decades now, not even counting adoptions or the many gay people who've been procreating forever from heterosexual unions.

Where do these breeder idiots come from???

by Anonymousreply 8204/23/2013

r82, you think surrogates and AI is natural? Fact is, gay couples need outside help (and permission) to procreate. No one can deny the so-called "breeders" the right to have children even if they're all sorts of unsuitable.

by Anonymousreply 8304/23/2013

It's kind of funny how many people assume their child would make the world a better place, and cite that as being a good/unselfish reason to procreate. What makes you so certain that YOUR kid would be one of the very, very few humans who actually achieve such a feat? The vast majority of humans are nothing but resource-sucking parasites on this thing called earth. And to assume your child will carry into the future your belief system is yet another selfish & bold assumption.

by Anonymousreply 8404/23/2013

[quote]The world population really isn't exploding anymore.

You pulled that directly out of your ass. World population has grown unabated since the Black Death ravaged Eurasia in medieval times. The population is currently 7 billion. We added a billion in just the last decade. Estimates are that we will hit between 10 and 20 billion by 2050. But for Jesus's sake, we all better get to work making babies because the human race could go extinct if we don't!

[quote]Can you name one unselfish reason for NOT having a kid?

Because not everyone makes a good parent, R78. Are you under the impression that every single parent is automatically a good parent?

Recognizing that about yourself can actually be pretty selfless. The cycle of abuse is one example; if you had bad parents and an abusive childhood, stopping that cycle and focusing your life's purpose in more constructive ways can be a conscious decision for many. It was for me. I carry a lot of anger around because of my past. I really don't see myself as a good parent, I don't have the patience and I'd surely fuck a kid up worse than my own parents did.

There are far too many bad parents in the world, and too many people who create an entire human life without a second thought. It's just "the thing you do", like working a dead-end job that you hate, marrying the first person who paid attention to you, or never considering living anywhere outside of a 20 mile radius of where you were born. The vast majority of people in our culture are clueless sheep without an original thought in their head, and they're mindlessly breeding and passing it all on to their kids. This, to me, is at least self-centered, if not selfish.

[quote]Because really, when it comes down to it, the anti-kid folks are essentially as selfish as the people who have kids, but for different reasons.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that. Just like "The world population really isn't exploding anymore", its one of those things you say to make yourself feel better, when the truth is too much for your mind to handle.

by Anonymousreply 8504/23/2013

R83, numbskull, not all gay people need surrogates and AI to procreate. Also, no where were we discussing "natural" methods of procreating. You certainly didn't mention that in your inane post at R81.

You really aren't very bright, are you?

by Anonymousreply 8604/23/2013

[quote]Can you name one unselfish reason for NOT having a kid?

Because there are already six billion too many humans on this planet as it stands. Because I am concerned with my carbon footprint, and NOT having a child is the single biggest thing I can do to reduce my negative impact on the earth short of killing myself. If you truly care about the quality of life for future generations (as so many of you claim), then you would NOT breed.

by Anonymousreply 8704/23/2013

[quote]Because really, when it comes down to it, the anti-kid folks are essentially as selfish as the people who have kids, but for different reasons.

Actually, I decided to NOT have kids for what I consider unselfish reasons. I had always wanted them, had biological urges, and sometimes still do. Babies can bring a lot of joy after adult life disappoints. But I can't bear the thought of placing them in a world where odds are quite against them (regardless of class, or whether I'm a good parent).

And seriously, about those articles that all vote for the unselfishness of procreating? What are the professional articles/parental forums supposed to actually say? They're not going to insult so many readers who have had or want children/make each other feel bad.

by Anonymousreply 8804/23/2013

I don't understand anyone who has more than two children. Give your first born a built-in playmate, if you must, and replace yourself and your partner. That's enough.

by Anonymousreply 8904/23/2013

[quote]If you truly care about the quality of life for future generations (as so many of you claim), then you would NOT breed.

The best "quality" of future life comes from my own seed.

by Anonymousreply 9004/23/2013

Bahahaha, R90!

by Anonymousreply 9104/23/2013

[quote]We can, moron

No, we can't. That is one thing a gay couple can not do [italic]together[/italic]. We need the outside help. It's not procreation within the relationship of the two.

by Anonymousreply 9204/23/2013

This needs to be reposted:

[italic]Idiocracy[/italic] opening scene

"Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most."

by Anonymousreply 9304/23/2013

Idiocracy still equates carrying on the genetic line with "reward".

LOL, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 9404/23/2013

The mother who says having these two children is the biggest regret of her life

Isabella Dutton, 57, says she wishes she had remained childless. 'I resented the time my children consumed. Like parasites, they took from me and didn't give back'

by Anonymousreply 9504/23/2013

[quote]Like parasites, they took from me and didn't give back'

Also like elephants, cats, tigers, birds, most every other mammal, penguins, and about 100,000 other species.

by Anonymousreply 9604/23/2013

[quote]Keeping the planet going? I've yet to see a California Redwood invent anything.

Bro, you got PWN3D by the internet...

by Anonymousreply 9712/31/2013

There's no unselfish reason to do anything. Even giving charity is selfish. Bathing. Going to work. You need to broaden your understanding of the word.

by Anonymousreply 9812/31/2013

To donate bone marrow to its sibling.

by Anonymousreply 9912/31/2013

r74 = Dick Cheney

by Anonymousreply 10012/31/2013

r77 I guess you never heard of charities?

by Anonymousreply 10112/31/2013

OP sounds like a nasty piece of intolerance who resorts to name calling and extreme hateful negativity to put down those who don't agree w/him/her 100%.

Let's all be thankful he/she is NOT procreating and making a child's life living hell.

by Anonymousreply 10212/31/2013

This is a really vile discussion you people are having here. I just so happen to be the mother of four beautiful children, and I assure you I'm far from being selfish. In fact being a mother is about the most unselfish thing I can possibly imagine. You obviously have no idea the sacrifice involved. I would give my life for my kids. Children truly are our gifts from God, and on that note I am going to say a prayer for you.

by Anonymousreply 10310/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.