Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Parking question for New Yorkers

Which area is best in terms of accessible street parking overnight from, say, 9pm to 9am? West Village or Chelsea (essentially any zone between Houston St. north to W.23rd, and on the west side east of the Hudson)? I was thinking of Hell's Kitchen, but I think most non-commerical parking is restricted after 7am. Moving to NYC. Will be commuting to NJ and PA and getting rid of my car is not an option right now. Looking to avoid garaging overnight. Appreciate any input.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Use the link and select 'Free' to search on street parking in those neighborhoods.

Or strongly consider living in Jersey City or Hoboken if you'll be commuting to NJ but want easy NYC access. Commuting via the tunnels is an absolute bitch.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

OP, all signs point to: You need to live on Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

Thanks r1. I was thinking about Hoboken. Did some research, and it looks like a good deal of the population is composed of 20-something straight kids just out of college. I'm late 30s and look every day of it. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb among all these "babies."

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Consider Jersey City if Hoboken is too young for you. It has more of a diverse population.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

Yeah, Hoboken can feel a little like a college town. Jersey City may suit you better. It has a more diverse demographic.

Explore downtown Jersey City (take PATH train to Grove St) and Newport area (PATH to Pavonia/Newport).

Plenty or restaurants and shopping for your daily needs. Gay and lesbian couples can walk hand in hand without any hassle. At least I've never witnessed any blowback. Other parts of JCY maybe not so much, but these 2 neighborhoods are particularly progressive.

Paulus Hook too, (a neighborhood btwn Grove St and Exchange Pl PATH), but it's a bit quieter and more residential.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

Thanks, r5. One of my new co.'s offices is in the Financial building at Pavonia/Newport. I traveled by car there for several interviews. The area, with its very modern luxury apts, is not for me. Just not my style. I'm partial to places with a little more character, such as tree lined streets with row/town houses. That's sort of why I was partial to Chelsea and the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

Just make sure your new brownstone has a carriage house and motor court, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Ah! So you're a person with good taste! I agree about the highrise buildings. Downtown and Paulus Hook will appeal to you, then. Tree lined streets with historic rowhouses.

I live on one of those streets in a converted brownstone and it is charming.

(ahem, and my condo is for sale *wink*)

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

OP, I'm your age and most of my NYC friends have migrated to JC. There are plenty of row houses and the like if you look around a bit. It's not just college kids and luxury skyscrapers.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Jersey City is better than Hoboken because Hoboken floods every time there is a little rain, at least that's what I see from news reports, I live in NYC

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!