Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anything worth watching these days?

I just finished "Margin Call".

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

I just finished a documentary on the warming climate

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

I started a New Zealand miniseries - [italic]Top of the Lake[/italic] which Jane Campion co-wrote and co-directed. So far it involves a 12-year-old girl who might have been trying to commit suicide in a freezing lake, turning up pregnant, and then running off from her family. The family seems to be the New Zealand variation of dog-loving, hunting rednecks. The family is involved in a real estate dispute with a bunch of damaged women who've set up a little colony by the lake in boxcars. The woman in charge is Holly Hunter, strolling around in long gray hair, occasionally dispensing bits of crone wisdom. The police parts are serious; the damaged women dialogue cracks me up. I can't tell yet whether this will be worthwhile, but I'm hooked.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2013

I saw the streaming Netflix new addition, Man on the Moon, by Milos Forman. All about the crazy career of 70s comic Andy Kaufman. It is all there for you to see and is quite a good film. Jim Carrey gives a stellar performance for once in his life.

Oh, and did you know that 4 years ago, after Andy died of large cell carcinoma in the 80s and buried in a Jewish cemetery in New Jersey, some Germans game to America to dig up his grave to prove that he was dead? Andy always joked that he would fake his death. And ....umm...they also made a videotape of the disenterrment which is quite gruesome. They were never caught.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Doc Martin, a semi-geriatric BBC comedy about an Aspergers afflicted surgeon who becomes a country doctor in Cornwall. The country folk arre quaint, backwards, and wise. It's better than it sounds, and very calming for the nerves.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2013

Never thought I'd ever defend Jim Carrey, but Man on the Moon isn't his only good performance. The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I Love You Phillip Morris also proved his acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2013

R4, I'm hooked on "Doc Martin". I also love "Foyle's War", set in WWII England. I tried to watch "Top of the Lake" but I had recorded only the second episode and it confused me.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

We just watched The Awakening. Liked it. Hatfields and McCoys miniseries. Liked it. There are some great documentaries on streaming. Won't list all, but the Medicis and the Greeks are a good start. Scroll through, you'll find a lot. Watched Unknown. Interesting concept, not the best execution. But probably still worth a watch. The Wave. For something different. The Game, if you've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

Second R6, also watched "Doc Martin" on Netflix, really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Hemlock Grove. Doesn't have the wonderful Jessica Lange but still better than American Horror Story....

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!