Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think that there are hundreds of attempted terrorist acts each year, that we just don't know about

Because they're stopped before they happen and/or covered up by Homeland Security?

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

There are far more school shootings. Those which are successful and those which are thwarted.

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

Cover them up??? I'd think they'd trumpet them to show how "brilliant" they are!!! (roll eyes here)

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

Yes, there are many laws and procedures that stop the less clever criminals.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

Time for Wapner

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

Not hundreds of attempts but many in planning stages. Not so much a cover up but not advertising after the fact.

Clinton once said the most surprising thing her found when he became president was the fact that he spent the majority of his time chasing down terrorist plots. This is what he told Bush when he came to office.

Bush obviously wasn't paying attention.

I think it would freak out America to know how many people are actively trying to hurt us every day. The ones we here about are public and can't be kept a secret. But even the ones that are reported aren't trumpeted about for a number of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2013

In which case Clinton was a flunky for the military instead of vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2013

What r2 said. Americans are fare more efficient at terrorizing other Americans.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Pretty much what R6 said.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

yes, they don't tell us coz they don't want to alarm us. That's what the terrorists what, to fuck up our way of life.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

Yes. And do they recycle the bombs that they've collected?

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

Yes. We spend billions of dollars every year on FBI, homeland security, TSA, police, sheriffs, national guard, secret service, and many more that are both too numerous to list and we don't even know about. Actually conducting one of these attacks takes skill, planning, smarts and money. The key is the money, and unless you are fairly well connected, you can't move any amount of cash without setting off alarm bells.

The Chechen brothers are the best example of where our weaknesses are, in that they used commonly available and cheap items in a fairly low tech way. I believe they are lone wolves, although trained by terrorists in Russia (the elder brother, anyway) which is the other great problem we face, as there was no reported chatter caught by our security apparatus leading up to the incident. To whit, if Bush had been paying attention instead of clearing brush in Crawford, he would have taken the CIA memo about bin Laden attacking by flying planes into buildings a little more seriously (unless you subscribe to the insider knowledge theory, but that's somewhat off into tinfoil hat territory) maybe we would have thwarted 9/11. This is also why we threw everything at the finding the Boston attackers in an effort to show the world that we will find terrorists and bring them to justice. No matter the cost.

I read on another thread here (asking the question why the US has to police the world) one of the more salient comments anywhere. The US chose to drop the bomb to end WWII, and as a result we spend our money on policing everyone else instead of taking care of our young, elderly, and everyone having health coverage and getting a good education (think Germany and Japan... Hmm, coincidence?). As we saw last week, we can't stop every attack via law enforcement and intelligence, however, and unless the US seriously evaluates our political stance worldwide (oh, I dunno, maybe stop stealing everyone's oil and other natural resources?) we will face many more of these attacks. It's the nature of commerce, authority and oppression.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

[quote]The Chechen brothers are the best example of where our weaknesses are...

Sadly, for all the well-deserved kudos being bestowed on all the cops & alphabet spooks involved in solving the marathon bombing, it sure looks like the actual Boston cops working near the finish line were asleep on the job. Seeing the photos of a bomb sitting right by the mailbox is chilling. Spotting bags like that are exactly why many more cops were on duty at the race.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

Except for the fact that most of the runners, any tourists in the area, and many of the spectators were carrying bags similar to the bombers', and further, the bombers white skin and only slightly ethnic appearance gave them a pass in the eyes of, ultimately, their victims. Certainly had a dark-skinned person of Middle East descent placed those bags in the crowds, more people would have noticed and brought it to the authority's attention. It was one of the victims who awoke from his drug-induced stupor long enough to report that he had seen the younger brother and looked him in the eye, giving the authorities their first real idea for whom to look. Hindsight being 20/20, it is easy to say you'd have noticed and reported the bags; what was chilling to me was seeing the photo of the bag next to the mailbox and the crowd of victims behind the barricade, as they must have observed the bomber dropping the bag and walking away. That Boston PD didn't see the bags as the devices they were is hardly surprising; there were only so many eyes on the street, despite their training. Add in a mixture of apathy, greed and internalized prejudices on the part of the police, and you have a recipe for two twits kill, maim, disrupt the economy and bring a major US city to a standstill.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

And Boston is tiny. If this happened in NYC or Chicago or LA you couldn't have caught these guys as you can't shut down a city that size.

Boston has only 89 sq miles and 625,000 in the city.

It's easy to shut down a city that small and dense.

And even then it was the brothers that basically caught themselves. If they wore a hoodie and left right away, they'd have easily been to Canada or Mexico if they had wanted.

Even the chase started because of the brother's stupidity not the cop's prowess.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

My nephew is an FBI agent in NYC and heads the terrorism unit. He's very hush about stuff but has hinted that there are a lot of attempts that don't succeed.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

People will become more alert to abandoned bags. The train stations in Houston announce every few minutes to report any abandoned or suspicious bags.

In a discussion at another site, a Londoner mentioned waiting for a train, listening to an American complaining about Brits not having any trash cans by the train stops. She was thinking, well that's because we got rid of them because IRA loved to place bombs in them, and thank you so much for funding the bastards. I wonder whether we'll see that change here as well.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

OP, it was nice knowing you!

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

There numerous things we have no clue about, they fall apart or are stopped. I think we should appreciate how blessed we still are in the US because things could be so much worse.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

Yes OP. At the very least there are dozens of attempts that are prevented and we either hear very little or nothing about, 1st of all because "nothing happened" and 2ed of all because they don't want to create hysteria. I suppose also that they don't want to expose any useful info they get in the process.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

I guess this is why presidents age so dramatically while in office. The shit they must know, must be the worst. And then, I don't even think they tell the President everything. There was a post on DL awhile back that said that the President has some kind of need to know clearance or something like that. Someone else can probably elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

Russia asked if one of them was dangerous so they were on the radar.

I was interested that all the people who knew Tsarnaev from high school recognized him but NONE of them called the police, assuming it was just a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

There are many terrorists attempts that are foiled and in general Homeland Security does a very good job.

I get angry at Jesse Ventura and Alex Jones for their constant bitching about the TSA. The patdowns are necessary because of domestic terrorists aside from the muslims. We have our own wackos to contend with here at home.

If Jesse Ventura and Alex Jones prefer to drive fly with the inspection of passengers than go for it. But I think patdowns are a necessity.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!