Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pretty Woman

I was just watching it...never really seen the whole thing.

How could anyone think that girl had even a modicum of talent.

Obviously it was those insane heterosexual men drooling over thigh high hO-boots

Pathetic...and George Costanza is in it!,,

by Dick Gearreply 2704/24/2013

I agree, Richard Gere is the same in every role

by Dick Gearreply 104/20/2013

The movie is an affront to women.

Terrible movie

by Dick Gearreply 204/20/2013

R2. An affront to men as well. Who forms a relationship with a hooker???

by Dick Gearreply 304/20/2013

As phony as Julia's lips.

by Dick Gearreply 404/20/2013

It's her mouth. Straight guys look at that mouth and think she can blow a fire hydrant.

by Dick Gearreply 504/20/2013

She was very attractive (in a quirky way) back then.

by Dick Gearreply 604/23/2013

It's a fucking awful movie. I can't understand why it's so popular as a "romantic comedy"

by Dick Gearreply 704/23/2013

Its VERRRY expensive.

by Dick Gearreply 804/23/2013

Horrible. Cinderella as a hooker! It had one of the worst lines in movie history: "I want the fairy tale." What was it that people LIKED about this piece of shit? I guess it was a fantasy for some women; they imagined themselves as the Julia Roberts character, a gorgeous (not in my opinion) young prostitute who has a handsome (not in my opinion), older rich trick fall head over heels in love with and carries her away to a life of wealth and ease.

Yes, I imagine some women swooned at such a romantic story. Gag!

by Dick Gearreply 904/23/2013

Cinderella fantasy for the girls

Lady in public and a whore in bed fantasy for the boys

by Dick Gearreply 1004/23/2013

the really sad thing is that the original screenplay was written to be about an African-American prostitute who becomes empowered to make it on her own, go back to school etc. The rich white businessman was supposed to ditch her (as would happen in real life) and instead of waiting around for him to come riding up in his limo to "save" her she chooses to "save" herself.

the producers mangled the intended casting and storyline to the point where the screenwriter asked that his name be removed from the credits, he was that disgusted with it.

by Dick Gearreply 1104/23/2013

Eric Roberts is by far the hot one in that family. Remember how his trousers fit in Pope of Greenwich Village?

by Dick Gearreply 1204/23/2013

Larry Miller is in PW as the store manager. He's always funny.

by Dick Gearreply 1304/23/2013

It's a "must see" for all you Amy Yasbeck fans.

by Dick Gearreply 1404/23/2013

I always thought PRETTY WOMAN was just an update of MY FAIR LADY (nee PYGMALION), except one sells flowers on the street and the other sells herself. Both are picked up by older, rich men. Both Eliza and Vivian undergo a transformation as they learn to dress better and behave appropriately. Edward tries Vivian out at a fancy restaurant where she fumbles; likewise Higgins tries Eliza out at his mother's at-home tea party where she makes a social faux-pas. Edward takes Vivian to a polo game; Higgins takes Eliza to the Ascot Race. Edward takes Vivian to the opera; Higgins takes Eliza to the Embassy Waltz. Vivian leaves Edward when he doesn't commit; Eliza leaves Higgins when he doesn't express his genuine feelings for her. Both Edward and Higgins go looking for Vivian and Eliza and they come back to their respective men.

Same story.

by Dick Gearreply 1504/23/2013

It's a grotesque pile of shit wrapped in ribbons. When people tell me that they love this movie, I know they are bizarre half wits.

by Dick Gearreply 1604/24/2013

Of course that's what it is, r15. But it's the chemistry between the two leads that made the movie so popular, imo; it's not about the storyline. Switch out one or both of those actors and the movie would have gone nowhere.

by Dick Gearreply 1704/24/2013

I've always hated the patronising, classist, sexist, woman-hating play Pygmalion. Ditto the film My Fair Lady (fact that Audrey Hepburn, bless her, a fine dancer and elegant lady, can't sing, never helped. The songs are shit)

by Dick Gearreply 1804/24/2013

Forgot to add that MY FAIR LADY and PRETTY WOMAN also have similar titles. No coincidence, I'm sure.

by Dick Gearreply 1904/24/2013

"An affront to men as well. Who forms a relationship with a hooker???"

You're obviously new here.

by Dick Gearreply 2004/24/2013

Michelle Pfiffer said women in Hollywood were really making progress in the 1990s.

Why we went from $3,000 (Pretty Woman, 1990) to 1 million dollars (Indecent Proposal, 1993) in just three years!

That is such progress!

by Dick Gearreply 2104/24/2013

Dear R15, you're probably familiar with "sois belle et tais-toi"

Be pretty and shut up - French saying. Applies to women in general

by Dick Gearreply 2204/24/2013

I don't recall the original story supposedly having been about a black woman who saves herself.

I remember hearing that the original story revolved around a coke addicted whore who was originally supposed to be played by Kathy Moriarty and her John was supposed to be Sean Connery. The ending had her leaving her on a curb at a bus stop.

by Dick Gearreply 2304/24/2013

Awful movie. Never liked it. Never thought Julia Roberts was anything close to being a 'Pretty Woman.'

by Dick Gearreply 2404/24/2013

The chemistry was good between the 2, which is why they got teamed up later for that desperate Runaway Bride film. But Pretty Woman doesn't age well. It is sexist and dreary and the plot line is pathetic (Jason Alexander as obnoxious attacker is completely unbelievable).

by Dick Gearreply 2504/24/2013

I liked the grandson (David) of the old ship builder.

Hot!

by Dick Gearreply 2604/24/2013

The original story was much darker. I think it was originally entitled "Three Days" or "Three Grand" or something like that. I think in that version the hooker gets hired for three days for three thousand dollars; she thinks the trick actually cares about her and wants a relationship with her but he just dumps her when he's through with her. Obviously it was revamped into an entirely different kind of movie.

And there ARE poor souls in fall in love with prostitutes. Teresa Carpenter wrote a book about one such case: "Missing Beauty." The "beauty" was Robin Benedict, a 20 year old greedy hooker with a preference for black cock. She came from a nice, normal family, no abuse at all; people wondered why she decided to become a hooker. But it wasn't hard to figure out; she wanted lots of money fast, and hooking was one way to get it.

A fat, bespectacled, married with children, forty-something biology professor named William Douglas livened up his boring life by hiring hookers to service him. He fell in gooney love with the attractive young Robin and mooned over her, sending her gifts and love letters and eventually embezzling from Tufts University to keep his "treasure" happy. She soaked him dry financially and detached herself from him. Ruined and fired and angry at her rejection, he ended up killing her with a hammer when she went to his place to pick up some money he supposedly owed her. Her body was never found. Douglas eventually pleaded guilty to murder. He did some jail time, but is a free man now.

Now THAT story would have made a good movie. There was a tv movie that was based on it that was incredibly lame. A real movie that did spare the sordid details of the liason of Robin Benedict and William Douglas would have made a great film, if done right.

by Dick Gearreply 2704/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.