Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In the era before autotune

How did they sweeten vocals?

For example, at the link below, what effect made Debbie Harry's vocals so metallic?

It's not double-tracking, which I understand was the autotune of its day.

by Anonymousreply 1405/16/2014

Auto-tune affects the pitch (note) of the voice. There has been tremble, bass, along with acoustic and other EQ effects that, if adjusted, can make the voice tone sound radically without affecting the pitch. Put simply, remember all those knobs of those stereos?

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

Semen on the vocal chords

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

Try listening to oldies... I learned to appreciate them after listening to Rihanna, Bieber, TSwift, etc

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2014

Phil Spector, before his infamy, was famous for the "wall of sound" which involved the use of an echo chamber

[quote]Microphones in the recording studio captured the musicians' performance, which was then transmitted to an echo chamber—a basement room fitted with speakers and microphones. The signal from the studio was played through the speakers and reverberated throughout the room before being picked up by the microphones. The echo-laden sound was then channeled back to the control room, where it was recorded on tape. The natural reverberation and echo from the hard walls of the echo chamber gave Spector's productions their distinctive quality and resulted in a rich, complex sound that, when played on AM radio, had a texture rarely heard in musical recordings.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2014

Shelley Fabares ("Johnny Angel", etc.) said they spliced her voice with another female singer's to make her radio-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 505/16/2014

In the era before Autotune, people actually had to know how to sing. The only "sweetening" back then was reverb, multi-tracking vocals, and vocoders.

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2014

Don't forget the Aphex Aural Exciter.

by Anonymousreply 705/16/2014

they did the same with Annette Funicello R5

by Anonymousreply 805/16/2014

R6, if that's true, I don't think Madonna or Paula Abdul would have existed. Paula Abdul is a shitty enough singer on record but live, she is a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 905/16/2014

You could almost everything done today with with reverb, tape speed and tape delay effects, even before the fancy electronics. Once analog delays came, all the fancier effects such as phasing, phlanging, pitch shifting, etc. became possible. Then, digital delays and digital reverbs, and finally digital effect processing.

Nothing really new under the sun.

by Anonymousreply 1005/16/2014

Sorry, should have been flanging, not phlanging. Too many fingers.

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2014

Double tracking vocals

by Anonymousreply 1205/16/2014

I wonder if they can take some recordings by a few old-timers and autotune their voices. Peggy Lee did several recordings where her pitch never met the band. Maria Muldaur could make your ears bleed with "Midnight at the Oasis."

by Anonymousreply 1305/16/2014

r13, from what little I understand, it depends on the quality of the masters.

If the voice was considered an instrument, and recorded accordingly, it should be easier.

by Anonymousreply 1405/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!