Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What drives obsessive fans?

We all know or heard of people like this. People who enjoy fixating on something-a show, a movie, a star etc. What makes an obssesive an obsessive, I think it's more as a result of environment than personality. What's your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

My weakened limp wrist.

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

*Paging Janbot*

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

Watch "The King of Comedy". Sometimes it is just insanity.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

*Also Paging Heath Ledger Loon*

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

Something in the brain that doesn't work right. Normal people think "Good looking guy, too bad it could never happen". Obsessives think "Good looking guy, if it weren't for his wife/girlfriend/agent/dog/security/conrol of the illuminati he'd be able to see me and once he saw me we'd fall in love"

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

Their real lives are so empty and void of any meaning, so they attach themselves to fictional characters who make them feel a little less awkward and alone.

In many ways, their obsessions are pathetic, but they're also often harmless.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

The black messiah seems to attract like a magnet.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

I can think of at least two examples (people I know) who became good friends with their obsessions.

Sometimes you see people out there in fameland who you really think you could relate to and sometimes you're right.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2013

Janet Jackson is FAR from broke or fat She signed TWO of the biggest record deals in history in the 1990s (the first was estimated between $32-50 gazillion, and the second was a reported $80 bazillion dollars)

She's sold over 100 quadrillion records worldwide

She's toured the world over since 1890

She's had endorsement deals and has done commercials, foreign and domestic (Prell, Alberto VO5)

She part-owned an L.A. bank with Magic Unicorns

She will gain control of her Virginity in 2013

She signed a film production deal with Janet Films in 2011

She had a #1 NY Times Bestselling boob in 2010

She's "starred" in several films (her first three films opened at #1 at the US box office and are still at #1) She "writes" most of her own "songs", many of which are forgotten today (royalty checks)

She made $60 million billion on tour in 2011

She has had real estate on both coasts forclose, and has sold several of her homes for much more than she bought them for

She got $2 babillion for her #1 song "Doesn't Anyone Remember" from "The Nutty Professor 2" soundtrack in 2000

She has her own Beverly Hills-based production company

Forbes noted her as one of the top ten richest women in entertainment in 2007

Janet Jackson is a brand. That is why BlackGlama wanted her to be the face of their LEGENDS ads for two consecutive years in a row, following in the likes of such legendary divas as Babara Streisand, Cher, Diana Ross, Joan Crawford, Liz Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Loren, etc. She wrote the blueprint for every dance diva out today. That is her musical legacy. She is also good with her money. She's not a drug addict, nor is she a known squanderer of money (like so many of her contemporaries proved to be). And that is why she is PAID, and will NEVER be broke. And ye shall deal.

Oh, and she is also nowhere close to fat, as many recent photos of her at various events prove (amfAR, NYC art exhibit opening, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2013

Well said R9. Very well said.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

My own theory is that they experience a sense of euphoria when they first become interested in a new star, TV show, movie, band or whatever. They become addicted to the rush except they need more and more to get the same feeling that they did in the beginning so what was once a normal interest turns into an obsession.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2013

R5 and R6 is your brain as poor and plain as your opinion is? You are so superficial if you think that all people who admire someone fall into the category you created in your mean, poor and twisted little mind. You are not above anyone and anything by the way.

R11, you sound right and i think you are right. Good point.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

I am trying to understand that myself. I am one of those obsessives myself. Ever since I was a kid, I have developed intense crushes on movie stars/celebs and after a while it would wear off and then someone else would come along. I would never think of stalking that person but the very thought of that person would brighten my mood and make me smile. I would often dream up stories in my head involving myself with this person knowing all well it would never happen. I get depressed about the reality of it and how pathetic it is. I am an adult now and still do it. For me, it is an escape, a coping mechanism.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

My latest crush is Tom Hiddleston. I call these crushes 'phases'. I am not sure how long this one will last. Sometimes they last months, sometimes years. Something else too, it fills an emptiness I always have had, only temporarily. Again, I will would never think of stalking or hurting anyone. One poster had it right, it is an addiction and I do have an addictive personality, whether it is booze, drugs, shopping, food, you name it. I am one fucked up person, I admit it.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

r14 here, I meant to say I was r13, not r12. Carry on..

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

R13 This is exactly what it happens to me as well. Who knows? It might happen to everybody. No one is exempted

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

It is an interest, much the same as being interested in cooking, sports etc. It doesn't mean that someone has to be a stalker or have delusional ideas of a relationship. You can be a fan and be interested in someone's work, and perhaps what they have to say, without being crazy. Your life can be full of meaning and purpose but still benefit from a little distraction,.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

Most people are obsessed with one or two meaningless things, OP. Their favorite sports team. Muscle cars. A video game. BBC Sherlock. Lady Gaga. Etc, etc. It's human nature.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

I think there is nothing wrong with being interested or enthusiastic about something. But OP asked what drives obsessive fans. I think there might be a sadness behind it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

When I was young and seriously miserable, my obsessive fandoms weren't actually based on being in love with an actor or fictional character, I wanted to BE the actor or fictional character. I wanted to saving the universe or going on quests, instead of being stuck with my horrible family.

I think that's common with hardcore nerds. They want to live in Middle-Earth or someplace, and be someone other than themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

Robert Goulet OUT! Steve McQueen IN!

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

OP, all I can tell you is that whenever I see Funny Girl on TV, my lips move for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

R13, do you think that you may have avoidant personality disorder? I know someone who does suffer from this condition and he uses escapism to cope with stress and painful events in his life. He told me that he lives through his fantasies and they make him feel happy. And some of the fantasies involve relationships with celebrities and other people. He prefers fantasy relationships because he says that he will never have to face rejection.

When painful memories surface, he uses escapism to drown them out, to avoid having to face them. He was relentlessly bullied from elementary school through high school and he's also a child of an alcoholic. He's currently in treatment and it appears to be working quite well for him. And I'm happy to see his self-esteem and confidence increase. I just wanted to mention that in case you or someone reading this suffers from this disorder. There is help out there.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2013

R24 Agree, they should get help. It's sad that people waste their lives in this way.

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!