Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are there any redeeming aspects to using it?

Can you actually go on and meet up with someone real?

I've been thinking of trying it, but after seeing the douchebags of Grindr website, I'm having second thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 3104/23/2013

[quote] Can you actually go on and meet up with someone real?

Nope. Nobody ever meets up with anyone ever. Grindr is mostly used to keep in touch with book clubs. Ours is going retro and doing Joy Luck Club this month.

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

Oh honey, I'm way too old for Grindr. If they had a category for those of us who have a "Mindr" maybe I'd join up.

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

I used to use it until I noticed a lot of people in my neighborhood had (+) in their profiles. Didn't really know what that meant. They would say things like "tall A +". I thought that meant tall guys were a plus in their books. Boy, was I wrong. After I woke up the next morning I asked what the A+ meant and he said it meant positive.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

I've met a LOT of hot guys from there and had some hot sex and threesomes. I'm 24 and considered good looking but I'm not super hot or anything.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

It depends what you mean by real, OP. It's for hook ups. And douches.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

R6, sex for sex's sake if just fine if both men know that is what it is. It can even evolve into something more over time. And yes it can even be an emotional experience. If you remove the stick from up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

I met my last boyfriend on it - we went out fro about a year.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned courting?

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

I met my last boyfriend on it - we went out for fro-yo.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

[quote]If you remove the stick from up your ass.

A perfectly reasonable position to take, until your inner cunt revealed you.

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

If you're over 30, forget it. Guys under 30 stick together, and guys over 30 want guys under 30. Just find yourself a nice bridge club, instead.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

Grindr simply became the 21st century version of the "backrooms" that existed in the 1970s.

Certain personality types gravitate towards this sort of thing and always will.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

Did the truth hurt as much as the stick up your ass, R12?

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

I don't think someone having a different view of sex than me is having a stick up their ass, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

R13, your shallow generalizations almost made my head explode. You should get out more.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

I've got no problem going to a sex club ... but the thought of putting my photo on Grindr turns me into Mr. Shy: "That's so PUBLIC!"

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

Perhaps a good idea on the drawing table but not so much in implementation, once the novelty wore off. I had it for about a year when it was relatively new. Hated it. You can't make any real human connection and it's hard to even make a SEX connection since there are so many guys on there at any given time, it's like "gay ADD. And the profiles are just douchy by nature. You can't have any real conversation with a total stranger using "hey" and "hi" and monosyllabic grunts. I thought it was fun when going out in a crowded area to see how many cute guys were within the vicinity. You know "This guy is IN THIS BAR" kind of thing. But as a tool to actually do hook-ups OR really meet anyone of quality? Not for me. I deleted it from my phone a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

I was on Grindr for a while as well as Scruff and Manhunt. It was fun at first but got boring and pointless after a while. It was fun to see who was in my neighborhood but the faces n ever changed. It was always the same group of people still looking for the same things.

I did "meet" a few guys on Scruff and Manhunt who I chatted with for a while but that got boring too. It was obvious we were never going to meet in real life and at the age of 46 I just don't have time for pen pals.

So to summarize: Fun at first. Got boring.

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

Before Grindr, there was WhosHere. I started using that back in 2008 and made a couple of good real-life friends.

WhosHere still exists, but in 2013 it's mostly guys in the Middle East spoofing their location. Nobody local uses it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

WhosHere is the MySpace of location-based social apps.

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

I think like most technology, the experience is a reflection of the user and, in this case, the community that uses it. There's also the matter of making it work for you and defining the experience for yourself. People who conform, follow and aim to please others probably don't come out of the "social networking" experience very well and their complaints can often be summarised as a failure to assert and protect their own interests.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

R23 is right. Grindr is very much like a gay bar. A large group of insecure gay men standing around staring at each other but not speaking.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2013

Well, I also meant that it's going to differ depending on locale. I live in London and when I've used it - at least a year ago now - it was pretty easy to navigate; it wasn't in any way a traumatic experience. I suspect in the States, perhaps in NYC, the trauma comes from the users.

by Anonymousreply 2504/22/2013

I just fucked this dude from Grindr before work this morning.

He sent me a Hey. I said Hey back. He said Cum fuck me. I said Send me your location. Then I came in his ass.

by Anonymousreply 2604/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 2704/22/2013

I don't do Grindr, but I nevertheless feel sorry for R6.

by Anonymousreply 2804/22/2013

Does Grindr have fake people for ads or phishing? Recently I keep getting messages from people who are 9000 or 8000 miles away. It's not from the same location since each time the miles could be thousands apart. They'll say stuff like "You're cute." But I don't even have a picture up so I know they're fake. I'm afraid to respond since it might load a virus or something. Does anyone else experience this?

by Anonymousreply 2904/23/2013

Yup. Lots of spam on Grindr lately. I'm too old for it (mid 30s and into my age or older, so, no luck for me on it anymore), so deleted it.

[quote]putting my photo on Grindr turns me into Mr. Shy: "That's so PUBLIC!"

Not as ridiculous as you may think. I found one of my profile pics on some random tumblr (I was flattered that at least someone thought me hot enough to put me on his blog, but also skivved out).

by Anonymousreply 3004/23/2013

I luv grindr. And now that I received my meningitis vaccine, I luv it even more.

by Anonymousreply 3104/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!