Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Where you can donate to Boston bombing victims

I'm donating my tax refund.

They're estimating the medical bills will top $9 million.

At least one of the victims doesn't have health insurance.

List of online donation campaigns here:

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

I thought everyone in Massachusetts had health coverage? Eh, let's not make the same silly mistake we did after 9-11 and allow our emotions to shower people with millions of dollars. What good did that do, they all got government settlements on top of it, and scholarships for the kids on top of that!

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

To this day, the fund for survivors and families of the Oklahoma City bombing is still holding on to $18 million of the $40 million donated, and has tons of bureaucratic rules about what victims may and may not use disbursements for.

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

We had a thread about that recently, R2. There were some awful cases. A woman who lost her ear couldn't get money to buy special glasses. A guy whose parents were killed (I think both died) had to put off college plans to raise his younger siblings. After they left the house, they wouldn't help him out with tuition for college or voc. training. At least, in this case, it seems like the individuals themselves can have control over the money.

Even for people with health insurance, many families lose their homes when faced catastrophic illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

1) The campaigns at Gofundme are started by friends and family of the victims.

2) The guy who got his legs blown off and woke up from surgery to identify the bombers, which led directly to their capture, is one of 2% of Massachusetts residents who do not have health insurance.

3) These surgeries will run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, perhaps a million per family. They will need medication, rehab, prosthetics, counseling, living spaces adapted for the disabled, follow-up visits, long-term care, and countless other services we can't anticipate. Not all will be covered by insurance. Some victims will not be able to work for a long time. Some won't be able to work again. Lifetimes of lost wages.

If you are healthy, if you are able to work, would it kill you to skip your next lip gloss or Prada purchase and give $50? Believe in karma and maybe someone will be there to help you when you need it?

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

Why should you give hard earned money to overcharging by doctors and hospitals?

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

How much "skill" is involved in picking out nails and ball bearings? And yet I'm sure they charge $1,000 an hour for this.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

[quote] If you are healthy, if you are able to work, would it kill you to skip your next lip gloss or Prada purchase and give $50? Believe in karma and maybe someone will be there to help you when you need it?

Do you donate to, say, the families ruined by someone like Robert Bales?

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

The guy whose legs were blown off will be permanently disabled and eligible for Medicare.

Getting special housing for the disabled can be pulled off with fundraisers and a church group contacting Habitat for Humanity.

You don't know how many people are severely injured and require specialized housing. Hold onto your money until you do.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

I'm sure there will be corporate donations to victims. Nike, New Balance and other sports outfits associated with marathons should be good for donations. Then there will be other races run as fundraisers; schools can have benefit dances, fire and police department members should donate too, considering how concerned the were about getting media coverage for their search efforts. Newspapers and other media outlets all benefitted from the coverage -- they should kick in a few thousand each.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

If only we could band together like this to demand universal healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

I am counting on Mitt and Ann Romney's compassionate generosity and gratitude for everything Boston and Massachusetts gave them.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

If we had national healthcare, this wouldn't be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

I'm still donating, and I will do it regularly.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

Try this site. It's where people here are donating.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

Somehow it seems that people who are running a marathon are not bad off...and the spectators ? It isn't a poor person's sport...

Your emotions are running away with you...which isn't the worst thing in the world...just not very logical

Do you donate to kids that are without food here...regular Joes that forgo health care because they can't afford it...and are middle class...and suffer for it? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

Thanks for the reminder OP. I just donated to the One Fund. One of the victim's mother works for the same place I do, so this whole tragedy really hit close to home.

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

Meanwhile, a town was leveled and dozens died in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

Love you R4. Tell us where to donate please. Something direct without all the BS red tape.

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013

Oh yeah, I will give NOTHING to the Red Cross.

by Anonymousreply 2004/20/2013

M. Teresa - I simply don't know what possessed you to toss Robert Maxwell's salad as you were telling us that AIDS was god's retribution against sexual activity. Oh yeah. It was his money. Thanks for the lesson, babe.

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2013

[quote]Meanwhile, a town was leveled and dozens died in Texas.

Yes, but NOT a natural disaster, instead one caused directly by corporate greed and that Republican cure-all, Deregulation! Let the fertilizer company pay. People can sue them, and the company's insurers will dole out settlements. When that's not enough, the government can insist on bankrupting the place and selling it off for parts. Why do we need to bail out rotten, greedy, criminal companies that endanger the public? We don't.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

It's not that people don't want to be generous, OP, it's just that we don't trust the vulturous scum who swoop onto these people and divert from the people who need it.

That whole NYC "Freedom Tower" and all the 9/11 scam bullshit left many people wary.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

Precious moments!!!

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

Because money heals all wounds! Besides, you don't think that legless guy isn't going to be able to (rightfully) milk his situation for all it's worth? I'm sure there will be book deals, benefactors, and state of the art prosthetics in his future.

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!