Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Netflix Original Series

House of Cards is brilliant, and I know this will be a controversial opinion but I love Hemlock Grove. But I think Netflix is making a mistake in releasing all of the episodes at once.

Shows build audiences and excitement by have episodes released on a schedule. There's the anticipation of what's going to happen next. The discussions of each episode the next day.

That's all lost with Netflix' strategy of dumping all the episodes out there at once.

by Anonymousreply 1604/30/2013

But with other, older online series available all at once and people buying complete DVD/Blu Ray sets current audiences are used to "marathon TV. Who has time to wait for a weekly dispatch?

And often, with modern serialized shows, you're either watching or not. You can't jump into the middle of a series. So it helps to be able to watch it all at your leisure.

People discuss shows in series/seasons now, not in single episodes.

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

People who watch TV series on Netflix tend to be marathon viewers like r1 mentions. I watched entire seasons of Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights and Mad Men over several weekend Netflix benders. Quite frankly, once I would watch the new season on the actual television channel it felt odd and I was annoyed that I had to wait.

Watching something back to back is a totally different experience and it's one that I think Netflix is exploring.

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

But considering Netflix is a monthly subscription service, wouldn't they benefit by releasing them on a weekly basis? As it s now, if someone wants to watch one of their original series, they can subscribe for a month, watch the show in a week and then cancel.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

As a Netflix subscriber, one of my favorite things about it is being able to watch an entire series back to back. That was a nice surprise.

Maybe they'll get short-term subscribers who are there for a single series, but I'm betting that's a small fraction of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

I liked this show better when it was called..... House of Cards

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

I gave up on Netflix because they only let me watch the first three seasons of Dexter, even though Showtime was on season five or six.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

Did netflix want you to rent he DVDs for the later seasons? I hate when they do that. They won't carry season two of Poldark at all. It's 40 fucking years old, for gods sake.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

Tom Shales from New York Times was on Charlie Rose and said the same thing. He said he wrote recaps and analysis of each episode of House of Cards but when he released them, there were crickets. No one cared about reading about the episodes since everyone had already watched the entire series in one sitting. He got zero hits for the NYTimes.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

R6, they've gotten so much better. They will now release the prior season a few days before the new season starts of shows.

But Dexter isn't available anymore.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

Thanks, R9. Shame there's no more Dexter, though.

Is it too early for the second season of Homeland? How about Southland?

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2013

House of Cards needs to earn to use a good cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 1104/29/2013

You must be that BITCH whose post I once read. I got through 2 episodes of Hemlock Grove on Netflix streaming and turned it off. NOw I'm looking for where you live.

by Anonymousreply 1204/29/2013

Even if you haven't seen the British version of HOC the American wasn't very good.( I loved Hemlock Grove which got better after 3rd) HOC started out directed by Finch the episode it turned bad was directed by Joel Schmaucher.

Also no likeable characters the british girl was good Kate Mera was a soulless slut(they tried to change her a bit). The episode where Spacey gets made fun of on youtube was done much better on Web Therapy...

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2013

I seem to remember that Showtime pulled their shows from streaming due to contract issues with Netflix over money.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2013

Same with Starz...

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2013

Showtime does have some of their shows on Netflix. Weeds, for example.

by Anonymousreply 1604/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!