Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baby’s Latest: Going Diaperless

When Jada Shapiro decided to raise her daughter from birth without diapers, for the most part, not everyone was amused. Ms. Shapiro scattered little bowls around the house to catch her daughter’s offerings, and her sister insisted that she use a big, dark marker to mark the bowls so that they could never find their way back to the kitchen.

“My sister wasn’t a huge fan,” she said on Thursday.

But “elimination communication,” as the diaper-free method of child-rearing is called, is finding an audience in the hipper precincts of New York City.

Ms. Shapiro, who is a doula, a birth and child-rearing coach, says it is practically now a job qualification to at least be able to offer diaper-free training as an option to clients. Caribou Baby, an “eco-friendly maternity, baby and lifestyle store” on the border of artsy Greenpoint and Williamsburg, has been drawing capacity crowds to its diaper-free “Meetups,” where parents exchange tips like how to get a baby to urinate on the street between parked cars.

Parents are drawn to the method as a way of preserving the environment from the ravages of disposable diapers, as well as reducing the laundering of cloth diapers and preventing diaper rash. Many of them like the thought that they are rediscovering an ancient practice used in other cultures, though they tend to gloss over the fact that many of those cultures had never heard of Pampers. But mostly, they say, they like feeling more in touch with their babies’ most intimate functions.

“I think for a lot of parents, the motivation is just to be more in tune with what their kids’ needs are,” Adriane Stare, proprietor of Caribou Baby and herself a diaper-free mother, said on Thursday, about a week after holding her most recent meetup. Another meeting was written about on Thursday on the news Web site; the next is May 14.

Ms. Stare said she “E.C.’d” her oldest son, Damien, who is now almost 4, and is doing it again with her second boy, Loren, who is almost 4 months old. Ms. Stare watched for cues that meant her baby needed to go to the bathroom or was going to the bathroom, like a certain cry or squirming or a grimace. Then, she began associating those cues with her own noises, like “sss,” or grunting. After a while she could make those noises — the elimination communication — to the baby while holding him over the toilet or the sink for perhaps 20 seconds, and he would go to the bathroom on command or refuse if he was not ready.

There are misses, she admits, but even cleaning up a small mess on the floor is easier, she says, than laundering diapers.

Some pediatricians are skeptical that children under a year old are actually capable of controlling their own toileting behavior. “I’ve certainly heard in other countries that they do toilet train babies earlier,” said Dr. Robin Jacobson, chief of outpatient pediatrics at Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan. “But from what I’ve heard it’s at about a year of age, not at two months of age.”

Toilet training, she said, is a matter of conditioning, “just like Pavlov’s dog,” but in the United States parents begin talking about it around 18 months, with most children being potty-trained around ages 3 or even 4.

The diaper-free mothers said it was rare for their babies to go without diapers all the time. They usually put them on at night and for trips to stores, restaurants and the like, though not necessarily for naps or going to the park, where it is easier to go on the ground or behind a tree. But their children often have been weaned of their diapers by 18 months.

Asked whether the practice was a health hazard, Jean Weinberg, a spokeswoman for the New York City health department, said: “Really, the only infectious disease problem at hand has to do with hand washing. Otherwise, it’s just a general sanitation issue.”

by Oyreply 7004/22/2013

Ms. Shapiro, a founder of Birth Day Presence, a childbirth education studio in Park Slope and SoHo, said most clients laughed when they heard about elimination communication, but one or two in every group signed up. At three weeks, her daughter could hold her bowel movements until she was put over the bowl, she said.

“I have absolutely been at parties and witnessed people putting their baby over the sink,” she said. One client took her baby and her bowl to a party, held her naked baby over the bowl, “and she just did it at this person’s party in the corner, but obviously they were close friends,” Ms. Shapiro said.

Still, even the most ardent practitioners observe some limits. “I don’t think you can walk down Fifth Avenue and just let your baby poop on the sidewalk,” she said.

by Oyreply 104/20/2013

I don't care what the hell you people do in your own homes - if having baby shit and piss all over your floors, furniture and clothing makes you happy, knock yourself out.

However, when you are letting your kid take a dump on the sidewalk in public, it's disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

I hope the police are giving tickets just like they would if you didn't clean up after your dog...animals.

by Oyreply 204/20/2013

Oh dear lord.

by Oyreply 304/20/2013

I'm [bold]GLAD[/bold] I had an abortion!

by Oyreply 604/20/2013

[quote] “I have absolutely been at parties and witnessed people putting their baby over the sink,”

what a bunch of disgusting dumb idiots. Over a sink? Animals don't do that

Honestly, these dumb cunts have too much time on their hands

by Oyreply 704/20/2013

It's just a matter of time -- someone will get the idea to hang the bowl from the baby so it's in position and ready to go, then someone will start putting paper towels in it so the waste doesn't slosh out. Then someone will make it ut of something softer so the baby doesn't hurt itself.

by Oyreply 1004/20/2013

You gotta love hipsters.

by Oyreply 1104/20/2013

Male hipsters, R11. Male hipsters.

by Oyreply 1304/20/2013

I stopped reading in the middle of the fourth paragraph.

by Oyreply 1404/20/2013

OK, the idea with this is that the baby is "toilet trained" much more quickly. The infant learns to control its bladder within a few weeks and then, by the time it can walk, it is trained and can hike itself to the potty.

Don't see this as 2-3 years of infants and children peeing and pooping in the streets. Apparently, it is fairly common in China to train children this way in a few weeks, and the infants are biologically capable of handling it. That said, any solid mess in the street or sidewalk should be cleaned up by the parent. Also, maybe this is something best left for home with only occasional outings until the child can walk and express itself to limit unsanitary activities on the streets.

by Oyreply 1504/20/2013

This isn't a frau thing. It's a moron thing.

by Oyreply 1604/20/2013

I hope the police ticket them if they don't clean up after their little pets' street, sidewalk, and park messes.

by Oyreply 1704/20/2013

Where the fuck are the fathers' POV in this ridiculous article? They couldn't scare up ONE dad to talk to about this practice?

by Oyreply 1804/20/2013

"On the border of Greenpoint and Williamsburg" -- well color me fucking shocked.

by Oyreply 2204/20/2013

[quote]“I think for a lot of parents, the motivation is just to be more in tune with what their kids’ needs are,” Adriane Stare, proprietor of Caribou Baby and herself a diaper-free mother

Shitty little Adriane.

by Oyreply 2404/20/2013

This was ALL Julie's idea.

by Oyreply 2504/20/2013

Ima go over that bitch's house and pinch a loaf on her kitchen counter.

by Oyreply 2604/20/2013

Editor please red tag the OP and R20. Clearly they're one and the same Scat Troll.

by Oyreply 2704/20/2013

[quote]Are women genetically programmed to do nothing with their lives but squirt brats out their cooch?

Well, technically, yes.

by Oyreply 2804/20/2013

Interesting quote in R24. I believe the point in China was to get them more independent more quickly as a convenience to the caretaker. Here it seems to be to take everything a step beyond the helicopter parenting, where parents never, ever think of having their own life.

by Oyreply 3004/20/2013

[quote]Since I refuse to spend $18 for the usual sort of crap on this web site

Nobody cares since you post the usual crap on this website.

by Oyreply 3104/20/2013

Here's the answer.

by Oyreply 3204/20/2013

[quote]In the jungle or caves there aren't diapers.

Nor antibiotics or vaccinations.

Nor clothing.

Nor heat or hydro.

Ah, the good old days.

by Oyreply 3304/20/2013

I'd applaud the environmental aspects of this, if it weren't obviously one of these "I'm a better parent than you are" things.

I'll bet you that at least eighty percent of the people who do this like to lord it over the parents who aren't totally focused on guessing when baby is going to widdle, because they have jobs and housework and stuff.

by Oyreply 3404/20/2013

So what's their position on elderly incontinent people going diaperless?

by Oyreply 3504/20/2013

Speaking of experimenting with your child, WEHT the parents who were attempting to raise your baby as a gender-neutral human being?

by Oyreply 3604/20/2013

What's gross or unnatural about littering America with piles of human shit?

by Oyreply 3704/20/2013

I was born in the country and that's how we was reared. We'd go out naked into farm and woods and just go like the cows and horses.

My mother worked the fields and just dropped and squatted when she had me. Then she gave me over to my dad and she went back to work.

Life was simple back a-then

by Oyreply 3804/21/2013

What a crock of shit this is.

by Oyreply 3904/21/2013

Ha ha!

American baby want to be Chinese baby!

Chinese baby no diaper, piss and shit anywhere!

Ha ha!

You American just like Chinese, but Chinese no baby diaper ever!

Ha ha!

by Oyreply 4004/21/2013

The concept may work if it were integrated with wearing diapers in public. However, the sanitary condition of carpeting and upholstery in my home are more important than my baby learning to use the toilet a few months earlier.

by Oyreply 4104/21/2013

It's obviously sociopathic behavior. Self-righteousness and a big fuck you to other people. They have to bring their shitting babies to parties where it doesn't belong, just so they can have a big performance.

by Oyreply 4204/21/2013

by Oyreply 4304/21/2013

Ff r20

by Oyreply 4404/21/2013

R21, I remember when a thread like this was fun. Back then we banned silly cunts like R20.

So, these no-diaper people apparently have no boundaries and will not allow their children to form any boundaries.

Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

by Oyreply 4504/21/2013

Hipster parents are scum of the earth.

by Oyreply 4604/21/2013

I am sure I thought of this first.

by Oyreply 4704/21/2013

R21 - "fraucunt"?

I LOVE it!

by Oyreply 4804/21/2013

Poop is one thing, but what if the baby has diarrhea? Who's cleaning THAT up?

by Oyreply 4904/21/2013

You guys get trolled so goddamn easily. r20 is obviously posting in character.

Having said that, I would have 100% guessed that OP's story was a hoax if it wasn't in the NYT. It sounds exactly like a Portlandia sketch.

by Oyreply 5004/21/2013

[quote]I would rather watch a happy baby poop in a restaurant.

Not me!

by Oyreply 5104/21/2013

If someone let their brat poop near my car, Id squat over their lap and let loose.

by Oyreply 5204/21/2013

I'm with you, r52 !!

by Oyreply 5304/21/2013

Leave it to the Times to say it's a trend after interviewing maybe five women in the same socio-economic group.

by Oyreply 5404/21/2013

The Sinification of the USA. Chinese do this.

by Oyreply 5504/21/2013

All these fucking straight people making babies!? When will people just stop ?! Just fucking stop ! Millions of children already need loving homes. Seriously,enough. Jesus Christ!

by Oyreply 5604/21/2013

China is losing control of its one child policy. More bad news.

by Oyreply 5704/21/2013

What they're not saying is, this practice artificially re-connects the umbilical cord, since the moms are FORCED to be with Baby 24/7, even forgoing babysitters who won't put up with this, er, shit. So they either drag Baby to restaurants, parties, parent-teacher conferences, church, etc.--or they don't go at all.

WTF does this do to intimacy between the couple?

by Oyreply 5804/21/2013

I'd like R20 to explain the size and consistency and odor of shit that results from Her parsnips recipe. Because I bet she knows.

by Oyreply 5904/21/2013

Nevermind. I just clicked on her link. Butt, I can't smell it through the screen.

by Oyreply 6004/21/2013

Get these motherfuckers OUT OF BROOKLYN!!! Fucking hipster assholes have ruined my borough!

by Oyreply 6104/21/2013

[quote]parents exchange tips like how to get a baby to urinate on the street between parked cars

There's a whole community of people who can provide expert "tips" on this. Just look for a helpful representative right in your own neighborhood. Doorways and park benches are great places to start. Good luck!

by Oyreply 6204/21/2013

Bowls? Why not litter boxes?

by Oyreply 6304/21/2013

Could it be that someone mistook my peace offering as an affront? Or, heaven forbid, thought that the picture of the recipe was something it was not? I am very sorry, as I am sorry any time anyone is not perspicacious enough to recognize the difference between social commentary and food.

But I do hope that you people manage to adjust yourselves to seeing babies "go" in public. I mean, once the wise decision allowing women to feed their babies mammarily was made, it was obvious that the legality of having the baby output the input was assured.

Think about that while you're straining yourselves, huddled in a seedy little closet. And imagine a world of freedom for adults as well as babies. It's only natural.

And here is the full link to the recipes offered by my friend, Jill. I tell you it's delish.

by Oyreply 6404/21/2013

I'm not clicking on that thing, R64.

by Oyreply 6504/21/2013

It's only a recipe, R65. The picture at R20 is part of it - peanut and almond butter and olive oil. Honestly. I am not the kind of pervert who posts pictures of excrement and excretions. That's not natural. Natural is what a baby does in the privacy of its own home or a restaurant.

You people either are fainting violets, hateful yellers, or closed-minded hatemongers. But I have hope for some of you.

by Oyreply 6604/21/2013

This may have roots in good intentions (environmental) but has to be one of the dumbest trends of all. This pretty much means looking after the child 24/7.

by Oyreply 6704/22/2013

[quote]Leave it to the Times to say it's a trend after interviewing maybe five women in the same socio-economic group.

Very much like DL. Anything some idiot blogs about is a "trend."

by Oyreply 6804/22/2013

I always wonder what these baby centric fraus think when their sweet little snowflakes become sullen teenagers who hate them. I wonder if it's a shock to them when little Jayden and Madison grow up to be just average kids. Do they think back to all the stupid things they did and realize all their effort and sacrifice was for nothing?

Let's face it, kids are a "crap" shoot (haha). You can do everything right and end up with a spoiled, entitled loser, or you can do everything wrong and end up with an amazing kid in spite of horrible parenting.

by Oyreply 6904/22/2013

Is this considered "barebacking" for babies?

by Oyreply 7004/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!