Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone else think maybe we went a tiny bit overboard with Boston?

It was like eleven years of frustration, waiting for the other shoe to drop. After 24 hours what you had was two fugitives .. not the first time that's ever happened, and not Godzilla on the loose.

Of course, we're 'mericuns, and this is what we do. And I do say that with pride.

by Anonymousreply 30608/29/2013

No, it was NOT overboard. You wouldn't think so either if you had lost your child, parent or sibling (or your own body parts) in that horrible blast. A little compassion is in order.

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

Wasn't it part of the whole "you chose the wrong city to fuck with/vengeance will be ours" response of the Boston authorities? Plus they did have an armed and dangerous fugitive on the run. No telling what havoc he might've caused in other cities.

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

No godzilla. Pokémon please!

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

NO

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

YES

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

R1, compassion has nothing to do with locking down the larger part of a major metro area, suspending air traffic, closing down public transportation and effectively instituting martial law, all for a single suspect who was trapped in a single neighborhood after being wounded.

You are an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

You have a point OP. Not that we shouldn't have gone after him, but there did seem to be a bit of "we will show you" going on from the media, to the cops.

Even after he was almost dead bleeding out in the back of a bot they fired a hail of bullets. Like 200 rounds. I am surprised he is alive.

There were like 20 murders in my neighborhood last year according to a police map. But what do they spend their time doing in my town? Giving out cell phone and seat belt tickets.

Thank god that didn't happen in my town, we would be screwed.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

It was a novel distraction. We now return to our regularly scheduled, meaningless programming.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

I for one enjoyed the DL crowd sourcing last night. Very entertaining and seconds ahead of the game.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

I think they only went "all out" after the dudes killed a fellow cop. Remember what happened in LA recently after that one disgruntled dude killed a cop? The LAPD was out swarming, shooting at anyone and everyone driving a matching vehicle! The police go nuckin' futs when you shoot one of their people.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

[quote] but there did seem to be a bit of "we will show you" going on from the media, to the cops.

I didn't like this aspect of it all either but heaven forbid if you say it around those "USA! USA!" types.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

I'm with you R1. A little 8 year old boy was waiting at the finishing line to give his daddy a hug who was running in the race,and he was murdered by the explosion of the bomb. The young woman who had her whole torso blown off died on the ground because she went into cardiac arrest. It was so much trauma for the 29 year old woman to handle that she died of shock. An Asian girl came to the United States to go to an American university and the girl died from the bomb as well. Many people have reported seeing body parts flying in the air ,and strewn all over the ground.They said it will take some people years to recover from loosing a limb or limbs. So you have have to ask that question OP? You need to get out of your comfort zone and stop being a major narcissist. When terrorists come after our fellow citizens, it effects all of us. Well at least it supposed to ,you know, true "mericuns."

BTW, I have heard that it's highly likely that this terrorist is going to be executed.

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

A lot of Monday-morning quarter backing. I suppose it should have been business as usual with a violent maniac (who had no problem killing and carjacking people and throwing explosives around) on the loose. Not to mention cops on a Rambo rampage shooting recklessly while detaining/arresting and stripping innocents nude for the world to see. The cops should have just used their psychic powers so they would have known ( like we all knew) that the suspect was lying in a boat in some random person's backyard bleeding from his wounds.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

I agree with R1 and R12. So, we were inconvenienced for a day. Big whoop! I am just happy they killed and caught the sons of bitches that killed and injured those people. God forbid we have to stay in our homes for a few hours and God forbid we can't step out to get a Latte at Starbucks, buy a new sweater at Macy's or check out the hot studs in the park.

You are calling R1 an asshole for having compassion. If you are really THAT selfish then you need serious help. I can tell by your post that you hate America and that you have no feeling for anyone else but yourself. You are an insufferable narcissist. You have the attitude, "Shit, why don't they just let them get away. They only killed three people, after all. I mean, I am going to miss my pedicure at 3:00 and I was supposed to meet that really cute guy with the huge package for dinner. How selfish of the police!"

You sicken me.

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

R10 has a point. I live in LA and not only did the cops go bat shit about one of their own, they actually shot and killed 2 women just because they were in a similar type vehicle.

Good Job LAPD. No wonder the White Broko got away.

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

I think OP is a bored troll just trying to get a rise out of people. I sure hope so. Otherwise, OP is a really selfish, rude and disturbed individual who needs serious psychiatric help.

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

sing it, r15

by Anonymousreply 2004/20/2013

I'd like to know what the total carbon footprint was for this operation?

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2013

Considering how the older brother went out in a hail of bullets, and they were lobbing explosives out of the car at police during the chase, and the police knew that the dead terrorist had a suicide explosive device strapped to his chest, and they didn't know if the second suspect did too, and they didn't know if the two brothers had accomplices, and the skells had just shot a cop in the head, killing him, and critically wounded a second officer, and the second suspect was so crazed he ran over his own brother getting away, and had to find a safe harbor, and the most likely place for him to hide would be a house, possibly taking hostages, NO. It was not over kill. If you stayed up to watch the coverage as it played out in real time you would have seen first hand how chaotic, confusing and terrifying it was. The police had no way of knowing that the second terrorist was gravely wounded, and didn't know if he had planted more bombs and didn't want crowds gathering in case they had managed to plant more explosives around the city. And if they had an accomplice who had the means detonate them. BTW, r1 is not an asshole. He is absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 2204/20/2013

Well r12 why isn't there such a lockdown every time someone is killed horribly?

Yes, it was awful. But, as with everything, certain things are made into events and others are ignored. Look at how some missing persons cases go.

Also, the child wasn't running to hug his dad at the finish line. Stop reading the glurge on facebook.

by Anonymousreply 2504/20/2013

No, I think it was necessary because of the type of crime committed, namely terrorism. This wasn't a bank robber on the loose, some guy who killed his wife, even a crazed kid with a gun who just shot 15 people in a school or just some "average" criminal in a shootout with the cops. This was a random act in a public place solely perpetrated to cause terror and targetted against everyone. When it's not known what these people's motive is (beyond causing terror) or if they're working with anyone else, then they need to be caught as soon as possible and it needs to be seen to be done as decisively as possible so that others don't get the idea that it's so easy, I can do that too.

by Anonymousreply 2704/20/2013

The hell you don't r23.

Go sympathize elsewhere!

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2013

r25, are you comparing an Islamist terrorist attack to a botched store robbery? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2013

R19 I know, I know. Those poor innocent boys were framed by evil AmeriKKKa. The Govt. locked the citizens in their homes to carry out evil (rolling eyes). Your are obviously not an American. You sound like you have an agenda. Up yours!

by Anonymousreply 3104/20/2013

In the time I have read this thread, I have seen at lest 4 "Breaking News" alerts. The thing is over, talk about milking it.

by Anonymousreply 3404/20/2013

No, r23/r32, you are a terrorist supporter because you are justifying their murderous activities and they don't seem to bother you. Moreover, the kind of mentality you are expressing is exactly the same mentality as the terrorists have.

Also, can you please tell us in what way American policy is responsible for the Tsarnaev brothers? America took these two and other members of their family in, possibly gave them political asylum, certainly gave them a safe, comfortable environment in which to grow up in, much safer than what they had previously been living in, gave them education and many other opportunities to develop in, to do things they enjoyed, to live a decent life. So, can you please remind me again why the American government is responsible for their muderous activities?

Yes, we know the American government does many stupid and nasty things, but that has nothing to do with this situation (nor is it the appropriate response).

It's just a shame you weren't standing near the finishing line.

by Anonymousreply 3604/20/2013

I guess we won't know for a while (if ever) what information the authorities were looking at when they decided to do the lockdown. It did seem like they went a bit too far with the closure of the whole T system - it didn't seem that likely to me that the fugitive would be hopping a commuter train for Rockport.

by Anonymousreply 3704/20/2013

Yes, you are an insincere asshole, as well as being a full-of-shit moron. You are not genuinely saddened for the victims in any way at all. Not only would it sound insincere if you said it, it would also be glaringly obvious that you are lying and are just saying it to seem "balanced".

And, again, please tell us in what way American policy is responsible for the Tsarnaev brothers.

by Anonymousreply 3804/20/2013

Don't forget, at least two other suspects appear to have been arrested in the Norfolk Street area, seems they had some other people working with them or who police currently suspect may have been working with them. They police may have been trying to get others too, not just Tsarnaev.

by Anonymousreply 3904/20/2013

^^^^^^ R38 is for the scum at r35.

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2013

Pics of Naked Guy.... Please I have a bound in public fantasy he would be perfect for.

by Anonymousreply 4104/20/2013

According to a few sites, r39, those people have been questioned and released.

It was allegedly the girlfriend and her room mates at the house.

by Anonymousreply 4304/20/2013

R43, the pic I saw on the Boston Globe showed a young man being taken into custody. Wouldn't they need to have some reasonable suspicicions about the girlfriend and the room mates to take them into custody? In any case, there may have been concerns that the brothers were working with others.

So, r42, you are saying these two young men were Islamic terrorists (or "freedom fighters") who bombed the Boston Marathon because they were angry with the US because of its support for the Saudis, the Palestine issue, etc. Sure, that really justifies their actions!

According to you, then, they were motivated by Islam, not Chechnya. Except, they were still Russian citizens and the older brother said he wanted to become an American because he didn't want to box professionally for Russia. So, that suggests their beef was with Russia. Also, what you are suggesting is that the US should never allow Muslims in because they might set off bombs. The US allowed these two guys and their family into the country, gave them a home, security, education, a future. According to you, however, the US, if it wanted to protect itself, should not have done.

by Anonymousreply 4404/20/2013

My bad, wrong house r43.

That one was whomever lived in the house with the brothers.

I think they were released also, though.

The girlfriend was in New Bedford.

by Anonymousreply 4504/20/2013

If vengeance is the rule of the day then we have as much right to it as they do. The Islamic reign of terrorist attacks against the world has also turned potential allies into enemies. And you only give them more fodder. You feed the belief in the psychopathic, murderous Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 4604/20/2013

Fuck, now I have to learn all about Russia? I just finally got my head around the middle east conflicts going on.

My head hurts already.

by Anonymousreply 4704/20/2013

Am I missing something the flag waving nutjobs on here know? These 2 murdering kids are not a part of some terrorist organization.

by Anonymousreply 4804/20/2013

Ha Ha, I told you bitches that my Russian studies in college would be my best job asset. I was ahead of my time.

by Anonymousreply 4904/20/2013

Boston couldn't afford to lose anymore money.

by Anonymousreply 5004/20/2013

OP lives in Swampscott.

by Anonymousreply 5104/20/2013

The response by authorities was warranted, but the media went overboard...

Around-the-clock coverage of nothing new... hour after hour after hour of repeating the same video, interviewing people who are just repeating each other.

Turn it off and then back on hours later for an update, and you find no updates but the same stuff they were showing hours earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5204/20/2013

and yet, we were all glued to our tv's waiting to see what would happen next.

by Anonymousreply 5304/20/2013

Meanwhile, no one seems to care anymore about the kids killed at Newton, CT. So sad

by Anonymousreply 5404/20/2013

Way overboard, the media anyway. Played right into the terrorist script.

by Anonymousreply 5504/20/2013

Gurl my DVR is PACKED with unwatched television now. I best get watching before I'm out of space!

by Anonymousreply 5604/20/2013

OP, you're on to something.

This has happened before but I've never seen the AMAZEMENT of the media throughout this...

like a slow brainwashing scheme to have "Patriots" accept martial law.

Folks were cheering as huge "gunships" went past their houses to catch one asshole.

They had no issues staying in their homes.

They cheered cops for fuck sake.

I'm not saying any of this was planned (i.e. attack which was horrific!) but it's just odd to me how it all rolled out via the media....

by Anonymousreply 5704/20/2013

Boohoo

by Anonymousreply 5804/20/2013

HEY WHAT ABOUT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5904/20/2013

"No, it was NOT overboard. You wouldn't think so either if you had lost your child, parent or sibling (or your own body parts) in that horrible blast. A little compassion is in order."

Before we shit all over OP or jump to the conclusion that he lacks compassion, let's consider that other countries - the UK, Israel, Indonesia, Spain, Italy - have, at many times encountered similar acts of terrorism on a regular basis and as far as know never before put entire megalopoli on complete shut down. And these countries have been involved in hot pursuits of suspects for mass killings before and never reacted like these.

In addition, as a precedent there is the argument that the prospect of causing a city to shut in an entire huge population, may well excite terrorists by its sheer magnitude of impact on a municipal economy and populace. It enhances the power and havoc creation motive.

On the other hand, it worked and, given the character of this specific city, the impact of this particular attack, arguably the population's desires for this kind of response, the particular nature of the shoot out and death that let up to yesterday's shut down, acts that left little or any doubt on the guilt of suspects who were very professional, and had the apparent ability to carry out imminent further destruction - it could be argued that this was an appropriate course of action.

Finally, an objective consideration of whether Boston's shut down was appropriate has nothing to do with a lack of compassion for the victims of the Boston attacks or a lack of foresight in considering the dangers involved - engaging in the benefit analysis rather than manifesting a lack of compassion only manifests OP's intelligence.

OP, for these reasons, although I haven't necessarily reached the conclusion that Boston did the wrong thing, I think you are raising legitimate points.

by Anonymousreply 6004/20/2013

r44, where are you getting that r42 in any way said any of those things?

by Anonymousreply 6104/20/2013

American culture is now the polar opposite of the "keep calm and carry on" slogan people buy on all kinds of junk. In the Blitz, and afterwards during the IRA bombings, people in London learned to grieve while going forward with bombers overhead or on the loose. Here half a state is shut down while the entire country wallows in speculation and turns the whole thing into a circus. Hey, crazy violent people, look at all the attention you can get!

The posters here invoking compassion or whatever are completely missing the point. Compassion for the people who were killed and maimed in no way dictates a frenzied, obsessive mass response and citywide lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 6204/20/2013

[quote] there is the argument that the prospect of causing a city to shut in an entire huge population, may well excite terrorists by its sheer magnitude of impact on a municipal economy and populace. It enhances the power and havoc creation motive. On the other hand, it worked...

No, it didn't work. The dude wasn't discovered until they lifted the city-wide shutdown allowing the boat owner to meander outside and discover what he discovered. Had the boat owner been allowed to leave his house earlier in the day, he'd have made his discovery much sooner. The shutdown only stalled the discovery process, it was not responsible for it.

by Anonymousreply 6304/20/2013

R28 really needs to grow the fuck up.

Princess, had it been an Iraqi who did it, would he be justified? What would the response be? Start a war in yet another country that had nothing to do with it so then you make even more enemies?

Of course innocent people never deserve to die, but that doesn't only apply HERE.

by Anonymousreply 6404/20/2013

I think people love any chance to act like a victim or become a potential hero. These tasteless Americans who are making somebody else's tragedy their own think they are the only people who matter, hence the hysteria. It's an injustice to those who were killed in the explosion but people don't know how to be sombre, they are too busy being euphoric with jingoist glory and delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 6604/20/2013

r63, I didn't realize that he was found after the shut down was lifted.

by Anonymousreply 6704/20/2013

I can't wait for the movie to come out!!

by Anonymousreply 6804/20/2013

Who would play the hot younger brother, r68? And will we see him in the shower after a wrestling match?

by Anonymousreply 6904/20/2013

If Boston as a city is regarded as being so "tough" what US city is regarded as being "pussy"? San Francisco? Portland, Oregon? Minneapolis? Most Northeast cities are also considered tough towns as are Chicago and Detroit. Texas cities have that certain Texan machismo so I'd put them in the tough column also.

by Anonymousreply 7004/20/2013

Except for the city of Austin....

Deserved or not, it has a pussy reputation.

Same with Berkeley, California.

by Anonymousreply 7104/20/2013

I don't think the Police went over board. They were looking at this ever since the explosions on Monday, and probably wondering: Who & How many?

Also,there's an addictive quality to the coverage. Last night we were on the edge of our seats, collectively speaking, ever since the shootout the night before. We had a sense with the city on lockdown, and the manhunt door to door, it would break any minute.

But it was also then, that I felt we were looking for a remaining thrill killer and not some gang of terrorists. When the cops said, "we couldn't find him, he's still out here, but we are lifting the lockdown." I felt deflated. I walked away.

I started to do something else, and then all hell breaks loose. Again. Anyone who watches the news has actually been participating in the "manhunt" ever since the first explosions on Monday. We were hanging on every little development. I tried to watch other stuff, but kept clicking back to the news coverage. All week.

by Anonymousreply 7204/20/2013

I agree, with R65, that putting on a display that would result in increased federal funds probably figured into it. But the major motivation behind such a much publicized over-the-top response from law enforcement would have to be that it was important to set a clear example demonstrating that crimes of this type will absolutely not be tolerated. In large part, the intent was to send a message to anyone who might be thinking of committing an atrocity like the Boston Marathon bombing that they can count on finding themselves at the receiving end of just such an overwhelming and unrelenting response by law enforcement.

So while it may seem as if the events after the bombing might be called "a tiny bit overboard," it serves an important purpose by blatantly appearing so.

Here's hoping it will prove to be a powerfully effective deterrent for a long, long time to come.

by Anonymousreply 7304/20/2013

Right, not overboard since life was so cheap to him. More casualties were a reality.

by Anonymousreply 7404/20/2013

Overboard? Um no. They caught him in a remarkably quick amount of time, and they did what they needed to do. Good gravy.

by Anonymousreply 7504/20/2013

OP, maybe poetic justice will happen and you be the next one inconvenience and lose all your limbs or suffer the death of a relative at the hands of religious idiots.

by Anonymousreply 7604/20/2013

Lockdown: Beantown - Sponsored by Frito - Lay

by Anonymousreply 7704/20/2013

Canadian here. No, I don't think it was overboard and as Canadian I have an obligation to think everything America does is overboard.

Who knew it was confined to just two suspects? You can't measure it by hindsight. Action had to be taken, fast. It will be interesting to see if these two were isolated or part of something bigger. In my view, everybody did the right thing.

I stil think taking our shoes off at the airport is fucking ridiculous, though.

by Anonymousreply 7804/20/2013

The news was a bit overboard, but it was a serious event.

I was troubled by people clapping and chanting "USA! USA!" after the capture of the suspect.

I can totally understand joy and relief at his capture. But it wasn't a fucking football game. It's something more complex than that.

And most people don't get that, and will return to their regular diet of Kardashians, comic books and video games.

by Anonymousreply 7904/20/2013

R78 again: I meant to add, the media went overboard, but what else can you expect?

And social media crime solvers went overboard, too. But what else can you expect? They're the new media.

by Anonymousreply 8004/20/2013

R76, that was really nasty, very terrorist-like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8104/20/2013

[quote]I was troubled by people clapping and chanting "USA! USA!" after the capture of the suspect.

It is sort of the English language equivalent of a warbling crowd in the middle east making that luh-luh-luh-luh-luh sound, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 8204/20/2013

Exactly R82! That's a great comparison.

by Anonymousreply 8304/20/2013

I know that when fugitives and/or prisoners are on the loose in an area the police often call for a lockdown and ask residence to shelter in place. It's standard procedure. Of course in my experience this has usually been in a more rural area.

So, why does no one conclude that this lockdown was "by the book"? I just assumed that the potential for explosives in the possession of the bomber initiated the lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 8404/20/2013

Innocent kids are killed all the time on drive-by shootings. Can you imagine the same resources put into the investigation of driveby shootings as they put into Boston? Setting up CCTV security cameras, using helicopters, SUVs, dozens and dozens of LEOs....it would certainly stop driveby shootinfs

by Anonymousreply 8504/20/2013

They did not go too far at all, who knew what these people were capable of or just how many of them there were. I am proud and amazed at how quickly these things are settled.

by Anonymousreply 8604/20/2013

America the Narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 8704/20/2013

Drive by shootings are horrible things. Drive by shooters aren't famous for having networks of sympathetic drive by shooters plotting drive by shootings. They are not the equivalent of a terrorist attack on a public space.

by Anonymousreply 8804/20/2013

Ululation

by Anonymousreply 8904/20/2013

There are bomb attacks daily around the world. Some kill and main dozens of people.

Drone strikes frequently kill civilians, including children.

Preventable/treatable diseases kill millions worldwide each year.

Over 30,000 people are killed by guns in the U.S. each year.

Genocide in Rwanda, the Sudan and other places go unnoticed. Millions of people are slaughtered.

So, yes, in the great scheme of things, it was overboard.

Let's face it: we focus on these events for about a week, more of less. Newtown, a little longer but it's basically out of our immediate attention now.

by Anonymousreply 9004/20/2013

So many awful, awful, awful narcissistic and out of touch posters here. NO, we did not go overboard. Anyone with a brain and a scintilla of compassion would understand that.

by Anonymousreply 9104/20/2013

[quote] Drive by shooters aren't famous for having networks of sympathetic drive by shooters plotting drive by shootings.

How do you know that? There are far more driveby shootings than terrorist attacks killing Americans. Maybe they are related. Maybe they are related to a network of sympathetic drug dealers throughout the country that are allowed by LEO to proliferate in poor black neighborhoods. Maybe if some police effort were put into investigating drivebys, instead of merely issuing the usual press release, "If anybody saw anything will they please come forward and tell the police what happened," maybe they could be ended.

by Anonymousreply 9204/20/2013

What if a hit and run driver killed 3 people? Should you shut down Manhattan, close the bridges and tunnels, search the boroughs because the driver might kill again with his car?

by Anonymousreply 9304/20/2013

All the people wishing death on OP must be good Christians!

Lots of goose-stepping going on in the thread and in this country.

by Anonymousreply 9404/20/2013

I agree with R22. What the Boston PD did was necessary and more effective then the asshole LAPD who killed two innocent women in the hunt for Chris Dorner.

by Anonymousreply 9504/20/2013

It was disproportionate to the actual risk. Now we've shown other deranged nutcases how easy it is to bring a city to a standstill and get attention.

by Anonymousreply 9604/20/2013

What would you people be screaming if the authorities had planned their reaction on the basis that it was only two little bombs and only three people died? Get real.

by Anonymousreply 9704/20/2013

They weren't very good bomb makers. Two bombs, only 3 dead in a very crowded area. It's not like they were really effective terrorists who could blow up the city.

by Anonymousreply 9804/20/2013

^ we say in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 9904/20/2013

[quote]What would you people be screaming if the authorities had planned their reaction on the basis that it was only two little bombs and only three people died? Get real.

Well, there's your first problem.

You think we'd be screaming.

No, sorry. No hysterics required.

We'd be cautious, weighing the facts, assessing risk based on the available information and exercising basic common sense in our daily lives.

We would applaud the tactics of the police yesterday as they worked to pin down, disarm and apprehend someone who committed acts of murder and dismemberment. We would expect the same action in any case where an armed murderer was on the loose.

But the general hysteria and panic was over the top.

by Anonymousreply 10004/20/2013

Erich Owens.

by Anonymousreply 10104/20/2013

[quote]Now we've shown other deranged nutcases how easy it is to bring a city to a standstill and get attention.

Exactly. See how this works, people?

by Anonymousreply 10204/20/2013

Gosh, I never would have guessed before this

by Anonymousreply 10304/20/2013

The chance that there could be more bombs already in place or more bombs on the way is reason to totally deny that we went overboard.

What happened to last night's Boston Globe story that cops arrested three other college students thought to be involved?

by Anonymousreply 10404/20/2013

Given that the "stay indoors" order was lifted before the suspect was located--and we still don't know for sure whether he has accomplices still on the loose or has planted explosives somewhere else--I think even the police decided they'd gone a bit overboard in shutting down the entire metropolitan area.

And I agree with those who have suggested that the shutdown and accompanying media extravaganza, if anything, are likely to encourage future acts of terrorism by demonstrating to potential terrorists just how huge an impact they can make.

And what the hell does that idea have to do with compassion or the lack of it, for Pete's sake? We can't feel properly sorry for the victims if we question the need to shut down a whole city until their attacker is caught? Do you think that shutting down the greater Boston area somehow made their situation better? They're now missing their loved ones or their limbs a little less because Boston was shut down for a day?

by Anonymousreply 10504/20/2013

[quote] The chance that there could be more bombs already in place or more bombs on the way is reason to totally deny that we went overboard.

^ trying to recapture excitement in his dull life.

by Anonymousreply 10604/20/2013

Disagree entirely the media coverage or the police response encourages terrorists. They've known for fifty years what they can do and they do it. Arguably, if police or media encouraged bullshit like this it would happen more often, not less. These terrorists didn't seem terribly sophisticated, building a bomb from a pressure cooker. It doesn't take a lot of time or planning. In the years since 9/11, it's been relatively quiet in the US so I don't see any support for the idea the attention fuels anything.

It's the internet the facilitates terrorism most of all. Any maniac with an insane idea can find everything they need to put their plan into action and like minded people if they need them.

by Anonymousreply 10704/20/2013

I can't believe how cocky people get after the all clear.

by Anonymousreply 10804/20/2013

[quote]Given that the "stay indoors" order was lifted before the suspect was located (...) think even the police decided they'd gone a bit overboard

And then it took a call from a homeowner--"There's blood on my boat, and the tarp has been cut" to catch the guy, within the supposed squeeze perimeter.

Maybe instead of having like a dozen armed SWAT agents waiting on the front steps and in the front yard when they knocked on every door, the joint task force could have arranged to search big covered vehicles in side yards?

Maybe especially those marked with blood?

by Anonymousreply 10904/20/2013

I live in New York City, and I can safely assert that we never would have gone as far as to shut down transportation and demand people not leave their homes. When it comes down to it, I think we New Yorkers are a tough breed of survivors who thrive on the possibility, and excitement, of confronting some sort of peril on every corner. That's just one of the things that make living here so magical.

by Anonymousreply 11004/20/2013

The myth is going to spread that it was because of the lockdown that police were able to find the suspect. The exact opposite is true.

Who knows how much looting and grift the cops were up to while the city wasn't looking. We know there were plenty of donuts on hand.

by Anonymousreply 11104/20/2013

I don't the Authorities over-reacted, especially after they knew there were other bombs. One bomb going off in a crowded public transit station would have been a disaster.

I do think the news coverage was insane. It was Running Man in real life. All we needed was Richard Dawson to host the fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 11204/20/2013

Yes, you can tell about all that looting from the news reports today.

Unless... they're in on it?!

by Anonymousreply 11304/20/2013

[quote]When it comes down to it, I think we New Yorkers are a tough breed of survivors who thrive on the possibility, and excitement, of confronting some sort of peril on every corner.

This is the joke of the year. New Yorkers whine about everything.

by Anonymousreply 11404/20/2013

The ugly, dead one was an extremist Moslem convert. The only way the coverage could have been overboard is if his headless corpse was dragged the length of the Boston Marathon by Boston police car.

It wasn't; I'm satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 11504/20/2013

[quote]Drive by shootings are horrible things. Drive by shooters aren't famous for having networks of sympathetic drive by shooters plotting drive by shootings. They are not the equivalent of a terrorist attack on a public space.

But gun violence kills a LOT more people than terrorist bombings.

by Anonymousreply 11604/20/2013

yes, well, we all know how eager everybody is to do something about guns.

by Anonymousreply 11704/20/2013

Cheering the public safety officers as they drove away was a bit much. Most of them didn't do anything but stand around, and the house to house search they conducted was obviously bungled in that it took the civilians just a few minutes to locate the suspect.

by Anonymousreply 11804/20/2013

[quote]Disagree entirely the media coverage or the police response encourages terrorists. They've known for fifty years what they can do and they do it.

Never in 50 years has there been a response to terrorism that was this outsized. Even 9/11 didn't result in all of NYC under house arrest for a day.I would think the new possibility of turning a major metropolitan area into a ghost town for 24 hours while the media attempt to turn the search for your terrorist ass into the greatest action-adventure movie sequence ever might inspire a few more nuts to plant homemade bombs at public events.

by Anonymousreply 11904/20/2013

Compare this to say the Army Math bombing in Madison in 1970.

You've never heard of it, have you?

by Anonymousreply 12004/20/2013

[quote]Never in 50 years has there been a response to terrorism that was this outsized

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 12104/20/2013

[quote]trying to recapture excitement in his dull life.

You're an idiot R106. The possibility of other hidden bombs, when those men had already planted two bombs and were throwing grenades at police, was more than enough reason for the community lockdown. As far as my dull life, wonderfully dull is the way I want it. I survived my time in the Gulf and am very happy to be far, far away from bullets, bombs, and missiles.

by Anonymousreply 12204/20/2013

[quote]Drive by shooters aren't famous for having networks of sympathetic drive by shooters plotting drive by shootings.

They're called GANGS, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 12304/20/2013

Yes, Darling, but they're not terrorist cells, are they? I know you want to win this one but really, they don't equate. Give up now before you have to resort to name calling.

by Anonymousreply 12404/20/2013

THAT

8-YEAR-OLD

BOY

IS

AMERICA'S

HERO.

by Anonymousreply 12504/20/2013

I agree with a lot of what R73 has to say.

Such a show of force demonstrates that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated in our society and that we will hunt you down and find you. It could be considered a deterrent.

On the other hand, it's a valid argument to say that making it such an event could be appealing to those seeking attention for either themselves or for their causes. The suspects became the ultimate reality TV stars.

I'd imagine there were many a fantasizing teenage boy thinking that such a action-movie-like response could be the result of a fellow teenager's transgressions. I'd imagine there were not a few that were secretly rooting for young Dzhokhar.

And of course, there were not a few DLers who rooted for him simply because he was a hot twink.

by Anonymousreply 12604/20/2013

[quote]Yes, Darling, but they're not terrorist cells, are they?

Aren't they?

you big poo-poo doody-head

by Anonymousreply 12704/20/2013

[quote]Even 9/11 didn't result in all of NYC under house arrest for a day

No doubt, r119, you didn't notice that the "weapons" on 9/11 were jet planes, not bombs placed on the ground. Further, due to your diminished mental capacity, it's obvious that can't wrap your mini-brain around the fact that every fucking civilian plane in the nation was grounded, thus preventing further destruction with those "weapons."

Please continue posting additional demonstrations of your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 12804/20/2013

R48, 1) you don't know that and 2) it wouldn't stop them from being labeled terrorists.

If you can't comprehend why the shutdown was necessary then you lack common sense.

by Anonymousreply 12904/20/2013

Why is everyone so pro-Boston-lockdown?

by Anonymousreply 13004/20/2013

[quote]These 2 murdering kids are not a part of some terrorist organization.

You could be missing something R48. Two years ago, a foreign government (thought to be Russia), contacted the FBI regarding the older brother's possible involvement with terrorist groups. He was brought in for questioning at that time. His mother said the FBI had been watching him for up to five years.

by Anonymousreply 13104/20/2013

Hmmm let's see, maybe because it saved innocents from being shot, detained, arrested, and blown up.

You can stop trolling now because I know it's just one person posting these idiotic anti-lock down posts.

by Anonymousreply 13204/20/2013

OP here, sticking his head up carefully from the bunker. Jeez. I've posted way more crazy things than this before and never ... oh well.

I still think the entire thing was 12 years of pent-up frustration from endless training, preparation and worry - waiting for the other shoe to drop. Which it finally sort of did, as an Anderson Cooper might say, unleashing an entire week of pure Americana.

And a merry "fuck-off" to the sniffy Euroes typing in who don't like the way we do things.

by Anonymousreply 13304/20/2013

[quote]No doubt, [R119], you didn't notice that the "weapons" on 9/11 were jet planes, not bombs placed on the ground.

You're so right! I totally forgot that rule of the universe that says terrorists are allowed to use only ONE mode of attack at a time! When they choose planes, that's it. They cannot also put bombs on the ground; it just isn't done that way.

by Anonymousreply 13404/20/2013

I agree with you, OP, and I think comments about the lockdown like

[quote]maybe because it saved innocents from being shot, detained, arrested, and blown up

make no sense. There's not much evidence that the lockdown had that effect. Again, this 19-year-old was discovered after the lockdown was more or less lifted. Meanwhile, I'm not very keen on the precedent of house-to-house searches.

I hope that R132 realizes there are many, many people who feel the way OP does, not just one person.

by Anonymousreply 13504/20/2013

Please tell me you're joking R135. Is it really possible for someone to have such weak logic?

by Anonymousreply 13604/20/2013

R136, this is DL, dear. So yes, it's very possible.

by Anonymousreply 13704/20/2013

[quote]And a merry "fuck-off" to the sniffy Euroes typing in who don't like the way we do things.

And yet they sometimes wonder why we hate them.

USA! USA! USA! and its quieter derivatives.

by Anonymousreply 13804/20/2013

[quote] Yes, Darling, but they're not terrorist cells, are they? I

No.

GANGS ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN TERRORIST CELLS

Because they kill far more Americans every year than any terrorist cell and cause untold billions in lost revenue through theft (particularly identity theft) and other criminal activities

by Anonymousreply 13904/20/2013

Absolutely NOT! The FBI did a kick ass job in finding those two boys amongst all that video footage.

by Anonymousreply 14004/20/2013

So we should assign two beat cops and a spare detective to a terror attack?

by Anonymousreply 14104/20/2013

r121, that response wasn't *outsized* like the Boston response, because the attack was much bigger than the Boston attack. Even so, it didn't result in the shutdown of every business in the city, nor were residents asked to stay indoors.

And while the 9/11 attacks would be extremely difficult to replicate today, placing a few pressure-cooker bombs on the ground at a large outdoor event does not seem terribly difficult to plan and pull off, and I could see somebody deciding to do it in hopes of provoking a Boston-esque response.

by Anonymousreply 14204/20/2013

No, R138, only Liberal extremist care about your envy. Don't you have you banana peels to throw and monkey sounds to chant toward black "footballers", or maybe round up your skinhead buddies to go beat the shit out of foreign exchange students/workers who are too brown for your liking?

by Anonymousreply 14304/20/2013

Envy? Of what?

by Anonymousreply 14404/20/2013

And, yeah, once again, would those of you who are so sure the lockdown was an absolute necessity like to explain, then, why it was lifted before the suspect was found and captured? Or why didn't go into effect at all until the shootout with the cops? After all, it was clear before that that the suspects were alive and on the loose and could possibly be planting more bombs around the city.

by Anonymousreply 14504/20/2013

That's something only law enforcement can explain. But you seem to have made up your mind so why don't you tell us? Or did you post that gem about twelve years of training erupting in one happy coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 14604/20/2013

A tiny by over aboard? The media ought to be ashamed of itself. Comparatively, the story out of West, Texas was a thousand times worse!

by Anonymousreply 14704/20/2013

[quote] No doubt, [R119], you didn't notice that the "weapons" on 9/11 were jet planes, not bombs placed on the ground

The queens Midtown Tunnel was checked for bombs on 9/11 by my friend's FDNY firehouse from Astoria. They were in the tunnel when Tower One felll and they had finished searching the tunnel and were at Ground Zero just before the second tower fell.

Subway stations and bridges were closed for hours and searched for bombs, but they were all opened before the end of the day except for some subway stations that were caught in the blackout area and the 4 5 and 6 which were closed from 42nd St to City Hall. The rest were reopened and bus service resumed by 2pm.

There were stories that a bomb had gone off in NYUMC's parking lot. NYUMC was being used as command center for the city because of Giuliani's stupendously stupid idea to put command central in the WTC complex. Because of rumors that a car bombing was going to be pulled off, they moved the command center from NYUMC to Bellevue, which was pretty much next door. Police were told to be alert for car bombs, mailbox bombs and garbage pail bombs. Concrete barricades were moved in front of sensitive buildings so that car bombers could not drive up to a building entrance and detonate a bomb.

So yes -- there was a possibility of ground bombs on 9/11. But we didn't shut down the entire city.

Bridges and tunnels were briefly closed on the day we started bombing Afghanistan and on Veterans Day 2011 after the plane crash in Jamaica Bay. After being searched and placing patrol cars at entrances and exits, they were all opened again.

Just because there weren't ground bombs on 911 didn't mean we weren't looking for them. We expected follow-up bombing on the ground (particularly car and truck bombs) to add to the. feeling of terror in the city. We were lucky it didn't happen, but we did not know that it wouldn't happen that day or night. There were continual media reports of bomb threats to buildings like the Empire State Building and the UN that day and in the days following.

by Anonymousreply 14804/20/2013

[quote]And then it took a call from a homeowner--"There's blood on my boat, and the tarp has been cut" to catch the guy, within the supposed squeeze perimeter. Maybe instead of having like a dozen armed SWAT agents waiting on the front steps and in the front yard when they knocked on every door, the joint task force could have arranged to search big covered vehicles in side yards?

He was found outside the "squeeze perimeter."

[quote]Such a show of force demonstrates that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated in our society and that we will hunt you down and find you. It could be considered a deterrent.

Ummm, they're usually prepared to die when they commit these things. The older brother had himself rigged with explosives when he died! Death/being caught evidently didn't concern him too much.

by Anonymousreply 15004/20/2013

I find it sad that OP asked such a question. Are we so into ourselves that we cannot take time to mourn and get angry that once again terror had the upper hand on our daily existence? Not angry at the coverage, but angry that another worthless idiot had some assinine statement to make so he murdered innocent people and forever changed the lives of the grief stricken families and all those poor wounded people who lost limbs. They were simply taking part in a festive athletic event. So no, we did not go a tiny bit overboard. Grow the hell up, put your damn skin conditioner down, and act like a responsible, caring adult OP.

by Anonymousreply 15104/20/2013

Look up the definition of probability and ask yourself what are the odds that 1) many people would be against the lock-down and 2)that so many of these people would congregate on one thread on a completely unrelated forum around the same time?

Also, consider how quickly this thread has filled up in comparison to other threads on this particular topic that were created after the suspect was arrested. It's primarily one person ( likely the OP). The same person who tried to downplay the Muslim angle and now that the suspect's religion has been confirmed, this person is now trying to downplay the seriousness of the attacks.

by Anonymousreply 15204/20/2013

I think our concern at the moment should be focused on the possibility of Ben slutting it up all over NYC while Anderson is up in Boston for months on end covering the drawn-out trial. This little terrorist could ultimately be the reason for their breakup.

by Anonymousreply 15304/20/2013

[quote] So we should assign two beat cops and a spare detective to a terror attack?

Yeah, because there are only 2 ways to deal with a manhunt. Either assign to beat cops or shut down a North American city for an entire day.

by Anonymousreply 15404/20/2013

There was a lot of collateral damage. There was an interview with a girl who woke up to the sound of gunfire. She phoned 911 and was told to get down and stay away from doors and windows. Suddenly bullets were coming right through the front door. It will take her a long time to get over that horror.

by Anonymousreply 15504/20/2013

[quote]Are we so into ourselves that we cannot take time to mourn and get angry that once again terror had the upper hand on our daily existence?

Do you really need an entire city to shut down in order for you to mourn and feel anger over an act of terrorism?

by Anonymousreply 15604/20/2013

OK, R52, or would you rather be called General Sherman? Tell us, exactly, down to the man or woman, how many people were the right number to get the job done and execute this perfectly? You obviously know. Tell us, maybe you'll get a job in law enforcement as you plainly have gifts in hindsight that are so acute and informed they would serve us all well in the actual moment.

Come on - you've got fierce conviction in your posts, R52, lay out some numbers for us. Show us your plan, since you know this one was so wrong.

Come in - we want to see one of the great police minds of the day show us how its done.

by Anonymousreply 15704/20/2013

Guys, calm down. It's over. What's done is done. Don't waste your time and energy playing Monday morning quarterback.

by Anonymousreply 15804/20/2013

OK, [[R52]], or would you rather be called General Sherman? Tell us, exactly, down to the man or woman, how many people were the right number to get the job done and execute this perfectly?

R52 says he thought the response by the authorities was appropriate, but the *media* went overboard. Why are you quacking at him to play General Sherman?

by Anonymousreply 15904/20/2013

[quote]That's something only law enforcement can explain. But you seem to have made up your mind so why don't you tell us?

I would guess, r46, that they lifted the lockdown because they decided, for whatever reason, that it wasn't fucking necessary to have the city under lockdown. But I'm sure you and the other "how could anybody oppose the lockdown?" trolls know better.

by Anonymousreply 16004/20/2013

I do think that the much of what we saw was staged. I think the authorities knew where these guys were--did a good job of smoking them out by making perfectly timed announcements.

The older brother was a nut--even the Chechens disavowed him. The younger brother--who knows? Remember your mom saying: "If your brother told you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you jump off the Brooklyn Bridge?"

I have little sympathy for the kid --one of my co-workers-a dear friend is related to the Richard family. The mom is blind, the little girl -induced coma. And poor Martin, dead. There's also some question as to their medical bills being paid because there is a disclaimer in their policy regarding "terrorist" acts. Ridiculous--so, no pity for this kid.

At age 19, we all knew better!

Finally: Doesn't the dead older brother bare a shockingly disturbing resemblance to Josh Altman from Million Dollar Listing?

by Anonymousreply 16204/20/2013

I live and work in the Boston area. I 100% agree with you that the response got way out of hand, OP.

It's scary to read some of these posts on this board. Who are these people? You all sound like a group of batshit hysterical crones. You're all sitting here trying to shout down the only person on this thread who actually has a reasonable point of view.

Your demand that EVERYONE give up their ordinary, basic rights to the authorities, on demand of said authorities, at the sole discretion of the authorities, for a length of time to be determined by said authorities, under even the slightest of circumstances and without any REVIEW whatsoever is truly a thing to behold. I want to call you pathetic -- but I will refrain from doing that since I know that emotions are still running high after this week.

I would like to address point-blank those of you who are trying to shut down discussion by questioning whether those of us who disagree with you actually "care" about the victims. Several of you attempted to cow me into compliance using this tactic on a thread that I started yesterday. Yes, I care about the victims. Yes, I feel sympathy for the dead and wish they had not died. Nobody deserves to be killed when they are going about their ordinary, daily lives.

But guess what? I have much more sympathy for the living, and those who have to deal with the aftermath, than I do those who are dead and gone.

And frankly, to walk to that last point to its natural conclusion and get the question out of the way: if it comes down to a choice between ME and MY freedom to move about the city as I wish, versus some hollow gesture of solidarity in response to a minor bombing and police standoff -- then I choose ME, MYSELF, and I every single time. I choose myself over you, I chose myself over your children, and I choose myself and my rights even over the dead 8-year old boy.

Of course, it's totally a false choice that's been presented, but how would an emotional vampire ever know that? I suspect they will wise up now that they have completely bled that manipulative tactic dry.

OP: Questions are already being asked about whether things got out of hand. I suggest we revisit this topic in two weeks -- I'm willing to bet that the consensus view will soon conform closely to yours.

by Anonymousreply 16304/20/2013

Get a blog OP/R163. You aren't changing anyone's mind on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 16404/20/2013

My heart goes out to the people of Boston. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to be inconvenienced for an entire day. The agony the citizens suffered by staying indoors will remain with them forever.

OTOH, our entire county was evacuated for six days on one occasion, four days at another time, and the east side of the county was evacuated for two days on two occasions.

We feel your pain, people of Boston.

[bold]NOT![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 16504/20/2013

Red Sox still suck!

by Anonymousreply 16604/20/2013

r140 are you insane?

The poor man who lost both his legs witnessed the attack and gave LEOs a description. Because of the event's size, they knew camera placement and could get footage quickly.

I didn't read what/who actually ID'd them. I suspect they might have looked "through the files" under Boston and realized who the elder one was.

Regardless, it was a colossal intelligence failure.

The whole point of the FBI and DHS is action, not reaction. They should've had this guy (older terrorist) under surveillance and listened to the Russians.

Today, they're claiming they didn't get back to the FBI when asked for further info on Tamerlan, so they couldn't pursue anything further. That's just belated CYA.

The UK has gone through the same issues for years now re: the next wave of radicalized Islamists. Because of that, I find it hard to believe the FBI is blaming the Russians for dropping the ball.

by Anonymousreply 16704/21/2013

Thanks, R163 - I'm with you. When I read things like

[quote]once again terror had the upper hand on our daily existence

I just cringe. They have a right to say that in Baghdad (or Chechnya), but not Boston.

by Anonymousreply 16804/21/2013

Well they did have 6 bombs and home made grenades on them. I think the police was being cautious. They didn't want people getting blown up if they stepped on one of the unexploded bombs. They had no way of knowing how armed they were.

Also the main reason they shut everything down was they didn't have officers to spare for the normal things that occur daily like car accidents, robberies, assaults etc.

Also one of the cops who was shot in the groin was a transit cop who just happened to be at the wrong place. They didn't want that to happen to regular citizen.

They didn't want the citizens to be blown to bits.

And in the end it was all voluntary. If you really couldn't help yourself and had to leave your house, no one was going to arrest you.

Also--here in Illinois, people are using boats to move to flooding and they haven't been able to get back to their house for days. Life sucks sometimes. I didn't know Boston residents were such whiners. I think New Yorkers after 9 11 had to put up with a hell of a lot more including living with poisonous air, with a lot less whining.

by Anonymousreply 16904/21/2013

[quote] It is sort of the English language equivalent of a warbling crowd in the middle east making that luh-luh-luh-luh-luh sound, isn't it?

The word you're looking for is ululating. Silly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17004/21/2013

OP back. Okay lads, I'm calling it. R153 puts things TOTALLY in perspective, thank goodness. Let's move on ..

by Anonymousreply 17104/21/2013

I don't know about you, but I'll never be able to eat baked beans again without shedding a tear.

by Anonymousreply 17204/21/2013

"God bless America Land that I love. Stand beside her And like her In the light of the light from below"

T'ank you veddy much.

by Anonymousreply 17304/21/2013

r174 - conscience, not conscious. Europe is a continent, not a country. There's no need for that comma between irrational and gutter trash. And they're not their.

I'm not surprised though. Typical 'murican.

by Anonymousreply 17504/21/2013

conscience

by Anonymousreply 17604/21/2013

Typical violent, murderous Muslim. I hope you do the world a favor and nuke yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 17804/21/2013

Take your meds, and quit generalising. You're in America - freedom of religion doesn't mean "freedom to be a bigoted asshole Christian - no other religions need apply". Frankly, I'd rather all religious types were thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 17904/21/2013

They won't get far. A culture that subpresses one sex over the other for eons can only operate with half of a brain.

by Anonymousreply 18004/21/2013

Suppresses

by Anonymousreply 18104/21/2013

Yeh, there'd just be fundie Christians killing family planning doctors and pastors helping kidnap the child of a lesbian to 'liberate' them. And school shooters. usually white, not usually Muslim. All of that will still be around.

by Anonymousreply 18304/21/2013

On the other hand, imagine a world where they have won. That's why this will become an ultimate clash of civilizations with no possible outcome other than 1-0.

by Anonymousreply 18404/21/2013

And all of that is still much better than having you around. The most violent and dangerous international terror cells are Muslim. You don't even know basic right from wrong. And that's why you try to justify the terrorist attack in Boston. But I don't think that you could ever comprehend such a thing as wrong, so it's not really your fault. Typical murderous Muslim. We're sick of your shit.

I hate to imagine that, R184. It would be terrible. But they seem to be winning so far in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 18504/21/2013

no

by Anonymousreply 18604/21/2013

A larger perpetrator of terror is the US Government, but it's not called that if the US does it.

(VietNam, Iraq, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 18704/21/2013

Why has no one asked Philip from Formaggio Kitchen what he thinks about all of this?

by Anonymousreply 18904/21/2013

If we've learned one thing from all this, it's that armchair experts and internet tough guys love false equivalence.

by Anonymousreply 19004/21/2013

I am with the OP and think there has been a little bit of an over-reaction. I know it is 'terrorism' in the sense that it was a politically motivated bombing of civilians.

Taking a detached view though, in terms of actual fatalities(taking away injuries) this ranks near the bottom of the numerous recent mass killings in the states.

The way the media and government are treating this, the fire and brimstone blood-lust seems a little overboard in comparison. The one caught seems to have largely been under the influence of his brother, who has been killed. However the Republicans and others seem to want to treat this as though it was 9/11 mark two, which it isn't really at all, and are even talking about treating the suspect like an enemy combatant, something none of the other (arguably more dangerous) mass killers got.

I am not excusing terrorism, merely putting it in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 19104/21/2013

One of the dudes involved in the hunt said on CNN yesterday that they had "a couple of thousand" police on the scene when they cornered the kid. A couple thousand!? That can't be right.............can it?

by Anonymousreply 19204/21/2013

A couple of thousand sounds about right. There were cops from Boston, Watertown, MBTA, all the surrounding towns and some pretty far away towns, Homeland Security, FBI, National Guard, and others I'm not thinking of - all "on the scene."

There were cops on every corner in Watertown that day, while they were looking for him.

For a "normal" murder, even a "normal" mass murder, it would be considered overkill. For a terrorist attack - no. They had more bombs, quite a cache of them. Had they managed to blow up a commuter train or a Red Sox game or set some off in another densely populated area, everyone would be screeching that they hadn't done enough after the first attack.

Having said that, the media coverage was a bit much, as it always is for any "big" event.

by Anonymousreply 19304/21/2013

We caught the Mohammadian scum.

Oh yes he doesn't worship Mohammad, he worships Allah, who is exactly the same in every way.

by Anonymousreply 19404/21/2013

It not a "they had bombs" during the lockdown. It's just the younger one. Given the amount of gunfire, anyone who understands threat assessment would know he had been hit. THERE WAS A TRAIL OF BLOOD. The lockdown all the way to Mattapan was ridiculous. Deval wanted to shut down the Boston-DC corridor and the FBI nixed that.

The Franklin St. resident (who was the sole reason they found the younger one when they did) should get the $50K reward.

by Anonymousreply 19504/21/2013

Imagine a world without religious nut jobs.

by Anonymousreply 19604/21/2013

The media panicked people and you see the result on this very thread. Gutless cowards who justify these overboard 'precautions'. The government has been taking away our rights since 9/11, and the sheep have gone right along with it. Expect that to continue.

Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, they live with domestic terror every day and they don't declare martial law and hide in their homes.

This was all for one guy who'd been shot. Imagine what they'll do when it's something worse.

by Anonymousreply 19704/21/2013

You're right R197, but there will be no convincing these people.

by Anonymousreply 19804/21/2013

[quote]It's scary to read some of these posts on this board. Who are these people? You all sound like a group of batshit hysterical crones. You're all sitting here trying to shout down the only person on this thread who actually has a reasonable point of view.

Welcome (back) to 2002.

The hysterical, pants-wetting, jingoistic assholes on this thread freaking out because someone dared to questioned the events of the week can all fuck themselves with a rusty knife. I'm not going through another decade of drama queen Americans questioning my humanity and patriotism just because they completely lose their shit every time something bad happens. Grow the fuck up. The last time Americans freaked out like this, we invaded another country, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands and a cost to the taxpayer in the trillions.

by Anonymousreply 19904/21/2013

I agree with R163.

by Anonymousreply 20004/21/2013

[quote] I can tell by your post that you hate America

You're a fucking asshole - and your histrionic grief display doesn't make you more moral or more interesting than anyone else. Quite the opposite, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 20104/21/2013

[quote]When terrorists come after our fellow citizens, it effects all of us.

No it doesn't. It only "affects all of us" when hysterical assholes like you decide that it does and we wind up agreeing to have our rights restricted and our money taken away to blow up random countries.

by Anonymousreply 20204/21/2013

R199 is correct. Beware of overhyped media play, for it is a foreshadowing of unsavory deeds...

by Anonymousreply 20304/21/2013

Not a foreshadowing, a distraction. Think how much bigger the outrage about gun control would be if we hadn't had this story.

by Anonymousreply 20404/21/2013

R204- BINGO. How many gun related deaths took place on the very same day? There are 18 every single day. Three people died in this world-shattering bombing. So where was the outrage for the eighteen people who died that same day by gun violence? Where were the flags flown at half mast? It's a great diversion by the media.

by Anonymousreply 20504/21/2013

The New Yorker also thinks we went a bit overboard in Boston:

by Anonymousreply 20604/21/2013

R205, I completely agree, however the many maimed and limbless victims should be in that figure.

by Anonymousreply 20704/21/2013

Gee, do you think there's any doubt that OP is a Muslim? No doubt in my mind. Not only that, he's undoubtedly heterosexual and a wanker. I'm not even American, but I hate OP.

by Anonymousreply 20804/21/2013

There's no doubt in my mind that you are an irrational fool, r208.

by Anonymousreply 20904/21/2013

I AM American and I hate you, r208, you xenophobic piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 21004/21/2013

CNN anchors were saying the other night that once they caught this kid, they were going to go back to focusing on the victims so as to not glamorize the suspects. And yet here we are--the kid's been caught and they've still got his face plastered absolutely everywhere on their station. And the same goes for every other news station.

by Anonymousreply 21104/21/2013

[quote]They had more bombs, quite a cache of them. Had they managed to blow up a commuter train or a Red Sox game or set some off in another densely populated area, everyone would be screeching that they hadn't done enough after the first attack.

Right! It was more than just a guy with a gun. He could have been wearing an explosive vest to take out dozens of people in just one swoop. He could have planted other bombs that were still set to go off, so they wanted to get that info if possible. It was so much more than some guy with a couple of guns.

by Anonymousreply 21204/21/2013

R211, they have his face plastered everywhere because he's good looking. He's white adjacent and doesn't look like a terrorist, so hopefully people will wake up and realize that terrorism doesn't have a specific 'look'.

by Anonymousreply 21304/21/2013

OP = idiot

by Anonymousreply 21404/21/2013

I am actually surprised that the media is still on this story. R205 is correct, It's all a great diversion. I am not one for conspiracies, but it is worthy of note that prior to this 'tragedy' Congress was getting ready to pass the CISPA bill that would have effectively opened up all emails and computer content to the prying eyes of the military. Although the two events aren't connected, the terrorist act did serve as a convenient distraction away from any focus that might have fallen on the CISPA debate. Our rights and freedoms are always gutted when we are least attentive. The Federal Reserve Act was passed on Dec 23,1913 two days before Christmas and all of those Patriot Act extensions always seem to come up in the middle of summer when everyone is on vacation. Coincidence? No. The powers that be count on that, no opposition, no problem. What I am more surprised is that the corporate media hasn't yet flipped back to side A of the infotainment record. Where is the ad nauseam coverage of Bieber and Cochellla, Cocahella, Coachella? We can't have an uninterrupted respite of non-entertainment news, heaven for fend that the public might actually wake up and educate themselves on issues and legislation on the table. I am also happy to see that people seem to have finally developed hindsight and reflection so soon after an event. Where were the "maybe we went a tiny bit overboard" threads back in 2001?

by Anonymousreply 21504/21/2013

He's not "white adjacent." He's white.

by Anonymousreply 21604/21/2013

We need to show these asshole terrorists that we are willing to do anything to protect ourselves.

And since it's going to be very exhausting to shut down whole cities if there are future events, we'll just have to start deporting these assholes or not let them in.

Any male immigrant should do cumpulsory military service for at least two years before they get to attend college. Many hispanics join the service to become citizens--let everyone else do it too.

by Anonymousreply 21704/21/2013

No, 214...you're the idiot. Worse, you're a hysterical coward.

207...false conflation on your part. He only listed the people killed by gun violence ; if you're going to include maiming, then the number goes considerably higher for gun violence. Most people (other than suicides) survive being shot. Even suicide attempts are sometimes unsuccessful.

And gun deaths and maiming happen EVERY DAY. This was the first time in US history that the Boston marathon had this sort of event.

Perspective is important here.

by Anonymousreply 21804/21/2013

WW @ R197

by Anonymousreply 21904/21/2013

Twenty-plus schoolchildren get gunned down and it's considered terrible that anyone should want to use that incident to change policy in any way.

Three people die in a terrorist attack and it's considered terrible that anyone would question whether we should change policy in any way.

This country is fucked up beyond words.

by Anonymousreply 22004/21/2013

I think the response was the right thing to do for the protection of the public. America could have had a Jean Charles de Menezes situation very easily.(innocent man followed and shot/executed on the tube by the police after a failed bombing in London). So they were protecting the public from the police as much as the suspect.

by Anonymousreply 22104/21/2013

" FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE SHIT IN MY MOUTH!!! "

by Anonymousreply 22204/21/2013

It's fascist morning in America again, I see.

by Anonymousreply 22304/21/2013

I told an obnxious republican this morning, that at least Obama catches the bad guys.

by Anonymousreply 22404/21/2013

R215...exactly right. But it's easy to have our freedom taken away when cowardice and hysteria prevail.

by Anonymousreply 22504/21/2013

It is not acceptable that poor hispanics proudly serve in our armed forces but other immigrants do not.

You never see Persian, Armenian, or middle eastern immigrant men joining our military.

Agin, if you want to come here, and you are male, sign up.

It's not fair that the burden is always on hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 22604/21/2013

220...indeed it is.

by Anonymousreply 22704/21/2013

[quote]It was so much more than some guy with a couple of guns.

Tell that to the twenty dead children's parents in Newtown.

by Anonymousreply 22804/21/2013

r220 nails it completely.

by Anonymousreply 22904/21/2013

We were warned about Chechens, years ago, and someone didn't listen.

So I place the blame on whomever dropped the ball on these bastards coming here.

A university education is not a right, it is a privilige. Our own citizens can't swing the money or have the time to be college students--why woudl we pander to Chechen misfits?

by Anonymousreply 23004/21/2013

Great New Yorker essay. I especially love this quote:

[quote]“What terrorists want is to terrify people,” Adam writes. “Americans always oblige.”

Despite all of the soaring rhetoric, we often cower in the corner and piss ourselves while giving terrorists exactly what they hoped to achieve.

by Anonymousreply 23104/21/2013

What about us??

by Anonymousreply 23204/21/2013

Their deaths, r231?

by Anonymousreply 23304/21/2013

R226, how strange that you don't mention Brits or any WHITE Europeans in your list of who should join the army.

Racist fuck.

by Anonymousreply 23404/21/2013

Now every city and town will want all of Boston's neat toys. The police will write your speeding tickets dressed as Darth Vader.

by Anonymousreply 23504/21/2013

R234, Because I'm Mexican, and I SERVED, you RACIST PIECE OF SHIT, and I can have an opinion, but you dislike a brown person to have one, eh, asshole?

by Anonymousreply 23604/21/2013

After slagging off Persians, Chechens, middle-easterns and Armenians, you forfeit the right to call anyone else a racist piece of shit, r236.

by Anonymousreply 23704/21/2013

Probably those other ethnic groups have plenty of money so they don't end up in the military as the only option for employment.

by Anonymousreply 23804/21/2013

R234 is A RACIST PRICE OF SHIT who doesn't know that people or Mexican and Western European heritage built America.

But how would this retarded LOSER know that when he/she is nothing but a cheeto-gobbling Kardasian watching TAKER and TIT-SUCKER of American social services and gernerosity.

Oh, and for all of you perpetual teenagers out there--a nineteen year old person is an adult. Therefore, anyone over eighteen is responsible for their own actions. This asshole was CHOSE to be a loser terrorist.

by Anonymousreply 23904/21/2013

R236, the burden ISN'T always on Hispanics. I'm in the military and I've served with quite a few Africans, Asians (mostly Korean), and Middle Easterners. That said, I don't think the military is particularly hospitable to Muslims and it's not like they're being heavily recruited.

Besides, Hispanics serve in great numbers but truth be told, it sure as hell isn't because of any call to service. Most join because of the benefits (not that there's anything wrong with that).

by Anonymousreply 24004/21/2013

I wan to respond to the anti-Muslim hysteria here. Isn't it reminiscent of the anti-communist terror that used to guide everything the USA did? It I'm not the biggest supporter of organized religion, mind you. And I do think that the problem with the Muslim religion is that because it's based on the unquestionable word of one long dead person, it lends itself to a fundamentalist mindset.

But let's be real here. Most of the world's Muslim population is poor and hardly in any position to harm anyone other than themselves. They've been the victims of American imperialism, not the other way around. We've bombed them and droned them and killed their children. So yeah, maybe they're a little pissed. But they have no power and are virtually helpless. So again, perspective.

And most American Muslims are hardly right-wing threats. I have a friend who's Muslim and he works and goes to school all the time. He's hardly some threat, he's more reputable than I am.

by Anonymousreply 24104/21/2013

Unfortunately terror will happen again in Boston because the terrorists have learned by watching that:

--Boston PD allows people to bring large backpacks into events like the marathon

--that the whole city and surrounding suburbs can be paralyzed for days simply by the search for two men

--that the media will jump to conclusions and post photos of non-suspects as suspects, buying the real culprits extra time

by Anonymousreply 24204/21/2013

You can be a Mexican AND a racist, you unhinged idiot.

Get over yourself. Cunts like Robert Bales show what kind of scumbags the army produces. Americans who defended his actions and believe he shouldn't be held accountable show the double standards that run rife. I.e. that a Muslim life is worth nothing, even that of a child.

Now mow my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 24404/21/2013

R241: Most gay men aren't promiscuous, but we're prohibited from donating blood because of the HIV risk.

Most young males have never been in accidents, but their insurance rates tend to be higher.

Most smokers will not develop cancer, but people are dissuaded from picking up the habit because of health risk.

The point is, Muslim extremists are behind the most brutal terrorist attacks that have impacted a number of countries around the world. I happen to be someone who views all religion as a breeding ground for intense hatred/violence; however, Muslims can't be touched when it comes to terrorist conduct.

by Anonymousreply 24504/21/2013

R242...athletes need to bring stuff with them. No backpacks? You do realize that bombs can be strapped to people.

How about we stop fearing things and live normally? Terrorists are only effective if we are TERRORIZED.

by Anonymousreply 24604/21/2013

R245...a Muslim attacked that movie theatre in Colorado? Really?

by Anonymousreply 24704/21/2013

You're a racist, homophobic, idiotic, lunatic piece of shit, r243.

I couldn't care less that you're Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 24804/21/2013

Further...

Muslims were not responsible for the Olympic Park bombing.

Or the shootings of abortion doctors.

Profiling is not going to work.

by Anonymousreply 24904/21/2013

Timothy McVeigh was not Muslim. The Atlanta Olympics bomber was not Muslim. Abortion clinic bombers are not Muslim. The Unabomber was not Muslim. The IRA is not Muslim. Adam Lanza was not Muslim. James Holmes is not Muslim. Klebold and Harris were not Muslim. Aum Shinrikyo is not Muslim. The Ku Klux Klan is not Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 25004/21/2013

R250...thank you.

by Anonymousreply 25104/21/2013

9/11 - Muslim. Boston Marathon - Muslim. As long as we're making lists.

by Anonymousreply 25204/21/2013

Yeah, thanks for that utterly pointless moment where you reminded us all that 9/11 was carried about Muslims, r252. If someone - anyone - in this thread had attempted to make the point that Muslims never carry out terrorist attacks, you sure would have showed them, right? Those dumb people inside your head saying stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 25304/21/2013

The whole point of terrorism is to inspire panic in the populace, so...they got exactly what they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 25404/21/2013

Timothy McVeigh had muslim/Iraqi ties.

TWA 800 may have been islamic terror.

3/11 in London was Islamic.

Lockerbee was Islamic terror.

Chechen rebels===hundreds of children have been massacred by them with their Islamic beliefs.

Black widow terrorists of Russian airliners.

Now, before my politically-correct friends say I'm being 'phobic' yes, there have been many terrorist acts by American non-muslim whack jobs.

But it is disrespectful of the vicitms to forget these events.

by Anonymousreply 25504/21/2013

Lest we not forget:

The marine barracks that were bombed by a muslim 'serviceman.'

The muslim psychiatrist who murdered Americans in our military.

by Anonymousreply 25604/21/2013

9/11 - Muslim (2,996 dead)

Lockerbie - Muslim (270 dead))

London 2005 - Muslim (52 dead)

Madrid 2004 - Muslim (196 dead)

Bali 2002 - Muslim (202 dead)

Beirut 1983 - Muslim (305 dead)

---

Aurora, Newtown, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Matthew Broderick's haven't wreaked near the havoc that Muslims have.

by Anonymousreply 25704/21/2013

READ SLOWLY, FUCKING MORONS:

NO ONE IS CLAIMING THAT MUSLIMS DON'T CARRY OUT TERRORIST ATTACKS.

Go ahead and keep listing them. It's pointless, but it obviously keeps your inner bits tingling with delicious fear.

by Anonymousreply 25804/21/2013

Oh, lest we forget the Islamic bombings in the nightclubs in both the Phillipines and Indonesia.

And throughout the centuries, muslims have killed over 150 million Hindus.

Muslims have destroyed hundreds of ancient Buddhist sights.

The Taliban and Iranian guards has executed thousands of women for petty reasons.

by Anonymousreply 25904/21/2013

[quote]I don't owe ANYONE political-correctness. I FUCKING SERVED MY COUNTRY.

Congratulations on your training as a psychopathic mass murderer of women and children, R243. Thank you for destroying the world's perception of our values and culture.

by Anonymousreply 26004/21/2013

I didn't kill anyone, and we are not trained to kill women and children.

You are a terrorist symapthizer, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 26104/21/2013

Nationalism is a 19th century relic that should have no place in the modern world.

by Anonymousreply 26204/21/2013

Believe it or not, many American servicemen are there to guard the citizens and help build schoold, hospitals, and other infrastrucutre.

To demonize service people is awful, awful behavior, and I wonder what you've accomplished in your life to put our people down.

May I ask--what have you done?

by Anonymousreply 26304/21/2013

R262 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 26404/21/2013

R263 -- would you not agree that there has been a certain amount of "fetishizing" (glorification) of service people over the past decade? Cabin announcements to "recognize" them by enthusiastically clapping, etc.

by Anonymousreply 26604/21/2013

Magnetic car ribbons and clapping for service people on a flight is infuriating only because the troops are underpaid, their benefits are minimal, they do not have the safety equipment they need, and women in the various armed forces are repeatedly subjected to sexual trauma.

How easy it is to yell "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!" right before starting another round of "USA! USA!".

by Anonymousreply 26704/21/2013

[quote]If the Muslim trash in this thread doesn't make you hate Muslims, nothing will.

I highly doubt that even one Muslim person is posting in this thread, fool. I will say that the knee-jerk ignoramuses in this thread and their total incapacity for nuanced, critical thought kinda make me hate Dataloungers.

Guess what? None of the following indicates that someone 1) is Muslim 2) sympathizes with terrorists 3) doesn't care about the victims of the Boston bombing 4) hates America

• Questioning whether an entire metropolitan area needed to be locked down because one wounded 19-year-old bomber was on the loose

• Criticizing US foreign/military policy in the Middle East and elsewhere

• Pointing out that Muslims are not the only group responsible for acts of terrorism and mass murder domestically and worldwide.

Learn to think, knee-jerk assholes. You can love your country and its people, and still look at the actions of its government with a critical eye, and be unafraid to open your mouth and speak your opinions when you see something misguided. fucked up, or flat-out wrong going on. Freedom of speech is written into our constitution because we aren't expected, as U.S. citizens, to just shut up, salute the flag, and pretend our country is perfect no matter what our leaders choose to do.

by Anonymousreply 26804/21/2013

Well, r269, your the pot calling the kettle beige!

by Anonymousreply 27004/21/2013

*you're

by Anonymousreply 27104/21/2013

I have a feeling this rapidly degenerating thread will disappear as did one of the threads about the Boston bombing.

This is why we can't have nice discussions.

by Anonymousreply 27204/21/2013

According to The Los Angeles Times, Tamerlan Tsarnaevav was kicked out of the mosque three months ago after he stood up and shouted at the imam during a Friday prayer service:

The imam had held up slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. as an example of a man to emulate, recalled one worshiper who would give his name only as Muhammad.

Enraged, Tamerlan stood up and began shouting, Muhammad said.

"You cannot mention this guy because he's not a Muslim!" Muhammad recalled Tamerlan shouting, shocking others in attendance.

"He's crazy to me," Muhammad said. "He had an anger inside.... I can't explain what was in his mind."

Tamerlan was then kicked out of the prayer service for his outburst, Muhammad recalled. "You can't do that," Muhammad said of shouting at the imam.

Still, Tamerlan returned to Friday prayer services and had no further outbursts, Muhammad said.

by Anonymousreply 27304/21/2013

OP back. R208 Not Muzz. Not hedrosexuwal. 'mericun all day. Wank often. And I don't like you.

by Anonymousreply 27404/22/2013

This topic was discussed on NPR this morning. They're stealing our ideas!

by Anonymousreply 27504/22/2013

wow, some of you 'Murrikans are completely fucking unhinged

by Anonymousreply 27604/22/2013

It's not the murricans, it's a crazy Mexican. Someone pissed in his huevos rancheros.

by Anonymousreply 27704/22/2013

Seriously -- what on earth do you think Muslims who are interviewed by police and reporters are going to say?

"Yeah, we know those two guys. They are pretty representative of our community here in the US. Sure, we're all, "We love America, best country in the world!" to your faces, but left to our own knd, we really despise the ways of the US. We hate the drone attacks, hate the war in Afghanistan because it is an incursion of infidels into holy Muslim territory. We hate the sexual permissiveness of American society -- homosexuals, women who do not cover their arms and legs. Women in the workplace, women in bars, drinking alcohol and then claiming they got raped! What do they expect? Mostly we believe everyone should live according to Islamic law, using the Koran as the guide for all of society."

I've been to that part of the world. It's how they've lived for more than a thousand years. Before Islam, it was a male-dominated, very conservative society run by tribalism. Islam made virtually no changes -- it's still male dominated, conservative, tribal. You think when they come to America they assimilate and stop being like that?

How many Muslims do you see at the VFW hall? In the Lions club? How many Muslim weddings have you been invited to? How many religious holidays have you been asked to spend at a Muslim friend's house? I was brought up Christian and have been to Passover Seders. My partner is Jewish and spent every Christmas Eve at his Italian friend's house and spends every christmas and easter with my family. You can attend a Diwali festival. I've been to a Hindu wedding and Chinese New Year. But if you're not Muslim, you are not welcome at mosques, Islamic centers or holidays. They're not going to change for America. They came here for wealth, not for social acceptance and harmony. The only reason they are not in their homelands is because they can't make enough money there and the violence makes it too dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 27804/22/2013

Three of my Iranian PhDstudents got bumped from a Chicago flight last week. They're usually pretty mild-mannered. But they all went on Twitter and FB and blamed their travel interruption on the American government "who should be brought to its knees," that "HOMA was never this mismanaged - F*ck you America," and that "We'll take what we want from you fools."

Are they representative of all Iranians? No, of course not. But it did remind me that they're in the US, getting a free ride at a state university, and they have no plans to stay here after they get their degrees.

by Anonymousreply 27904/23/2013

Well, and apparently there's a movement here in support of this terrorist kid, among some American Muslims. Sorry, but that's really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 28004/23/2013

I hope OP is soon shipped to Uganda (courtesy of Westboro Baptist Church) to enjoy a life of religious and sexual freedom that he cannot find here in this stifling, anti-gay society that he hates so much. What a putz!

If OP is gay, does he not realize that EVERY ONE of the Muslim countries that he respects so much would chop his fucking head off in the town square or shoot him for so much as looking at another man in a sexual way? I don't think it would matter because I get the idea he likes the pussy and eagerly awaits his 72 virgins. Problem, the virgins are sheep and pigs, not people.

I am a gay man and I proudly served in military special ops and was over there for five years. I saw gay men hanged and beheaded based on just "rumors" of being gay. OP, do a little reading up on the society you respect so much. The way they treat homosexuals (and SUSPECTED homosexuals) has nothing to do with any U.S. policy. U.S. policy also has nothing to do with your brethren "marrying" 4 and 5 year old girls and tearing them to shreds in the name of Allah. If the U.S. was gone, your countries of choice over there would still be fighting among each other until the end of time. Educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 28104/23/2013

I'd like to turn a real-life Jack Bauer loose on OP for a couple of hours and let him open up a huge-ass can of whoop-ass. I am a gay man who loves my country and proudly served it. Anyone who sympathizes with terrorists is a traitor in my eyes. Muslims claim to be peaceful, but in my experiences around the world, most of them are not. Christians are not much better (a little, but not much).

by Anonymousreply 28204/23/2013

ALL RELIGION SUCKS. Islam a little more than the rest, but they ALL SUCK big bleeding pussies.

by Anonymousreply 28304/23/2013

Most of you seem to be forgetting that the ends do not justify the means.

The ends of protecting people does not justify the means of restricting their freedom. Everyone is going to die someday anyway. Let it be doing whatever they want, as long as that does doesn't hurt others.

by Anonymousreply 28404/23/2013

No one's civil liberties were taken away. The city was not under martial law. People were asked to stay off the streets so the police could catch the bomber. Most of them did. If the city was operating business as usual, there's no way they would have caught him. He'd be to NY in a matter of hours and then would just disappear.

by Anonymousreply 28504/23/2013

Thank you R285. My sentiments on the nose! I live in Boston and was more than happy to stay indoors and let the authorities do what needed to be done to catch those psychos. Jeez, people act like they were all being imprisoned in their homes indefinitely. So, they couldn't go to the Quickie Mart to buy Ding-Dongs and Yoo-Hoo for a few hours. Boo-fucking-hoo! What a bunch of self-centered morons.

by Anonymousreply 28604/23/2013

It was ridiculous to have that wide an area shut down.

by Anonymousreply 28704/23/2013

[quote]If the city was operating business as usual, there's no way they would have caught him.

They didn't catch him until after the "stay indoors" directive was lifted. If they'd never asked people to stay indoors in the first place, the homeowner who spotted a trail of blood leading to his boat and tipped off the authorities probably would have done so several hours earlier.

[quote]He'd be to NY in a matter of hours and then would just disappear.

He was too badly injured to head for NY or anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 28804/24/2013

[quote]If OP is gay, does he not realize that EVERY ONE of the Muslim countries that he respects so much

When did OP ever even discuss his feelings about Muslim countries, r281?

[quote]'d like to turn a real-life Jack Bauer loose on OP for a couple of hours and let him open up a huge-ass can of whoop-ass. I am a gay man who loves my country and proudly served it. Anyone who sympathizes with terrorists is a traitor in my eyes.

And again, r282, when the hell did OP express sympathy for terrorists? Provide a quote or reply number, please.

by Anonymousreply 28904/24/2013

Compared to other cities that have had bombs go off around the globe, Boston, with help from the Feds, did an outstanding job of wrapping this up.

by Anonymousreply 29004/24/2013

It's interesting to see the authorities back peddle on the "lockdown." It was over-the-top to stop people in Dorchester from walking to the store (which is what happened to my cousin). And businesses lost a bundle.

But it's over and Patrick has had his wrist slapped by Main Justice. It won't happen again.

by Anonymousreply 29104/24/2013

I think Boston is milking this Boston strong stuff a little bit. Starting to get nauseating. We know you love your city, but jeez give it a break. They act like those fucking Sports teams were sent down from heaven. 3 people died, not thousands like in 911.

by Anonymousreply 29204/24/2013

[quote]I think Boston is milking this Boston strong stuff a little bit.

People are trying to get exclusive rights to the Boston Strong phrase.

After 9/11, we had Lisa Beamer obtaining the rights to "Let's Roll" for the Todd Beamer Foundation. She was really pushy about getting "Let's Roll" out there, but she's very quiet about where all the money for the Todd Beamer Foundation is being used.

by Anonymousreply 29304/24/2013

Wow, lots of insanity on this thread. Does anyone remember the OJ car chase, where the media just focused on this SUV going down the highway like it was some guns-blazing police chase? This was the first real example of this nationwide and a ratings bonanza. This time it was a longer, complicated chase, identifying the likely perps and tracking them down. It was intense reality TV, like many scripted dramas, but better. The twists and turns were incredible and surprising. Plus, the capture, rather than killing, of the second suspect was gratifying and full of suspense. We will see more of this as time goes on, if opportunity arises.

If you look at television coverage since 9/11, when we really were in shock, the coverage has become increasingly cynical. This event was a real boon for ratings over days. And the Texas explosion was icing on the cake for broadcasters. There are probably broadcasters hoping for another one of these in the next year, preferably during sweeps week.

Boston had its own issues with this attack and was determined not to be stopped by terrorists. I liked the determination of the locals, a city-wide "fuck you" to terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 29404/24/2013

OP back again. Friends, you have to read R281.

I'm sure you all will join me in thanking him for his five years service in "military special ops."

by Anonymousreply 29504/24/2013

R281 sound like a douche

by Anonymousreply 29604/24/2013

Yes, lots of psychos in this thread. Seriously, can someone explain why it's not possible to say "no, actually, I don't think Boston went overboard, and here are my reasons" without foaming at the mouth and leaping to the wildly farfetched, unsupported conclusions that OP and those who agree with him are terrorist sympathizers, Muslims, sociopaths, meanies who don't care about the victims, anti-American, etc.

Personally, I still think Boston's outsized response to the attacks might encourage other small-time, freelance terrorists (as I'm willing to bet the Tsarnaev brothers will turn out to be) to commit similar acts, but I'm not accusing everybody who disagrees of *wanting* to encourage terrorism, which would be on a part with the sorts of accusations people are making about the OP.

by Anonymousreply 29704/24/2013

This had nothing to do with Islam. It had to do with the alphabet overlords turning the wrong person.

by Anonymousreply 29804/24/2013

Law enforcement did an incredible job catching the suspects, but the public, as usual, behaved like asshats, with all the tributes and testimonials and BS...

by Anonymousreply 29904/24/2013

Liza or Madonna would be far more suited to play Momma Rose than Babs ever would. Even Olivia Newton-John, Bette Midler or Cher would be better. Babs just has a wild hair up her snatch and thinks she can pull this off. No fucking way. Babs needs to just focus on singing and starring in sequels to Meet The Parents. She's all wrong for Momma Rose. Momma Rose is worshipped by gay men everywhere, it must be done right if it's going to be done and Streisand ain't the one to do it, honey. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Barbra. But it's not the right project for her. Barbra, sugar, just focus on your angelic voice and leave Momma to someone who can do her justice.

by Anonymousreply 30004/24/2013

Did you hear they're now saying that Dzhokhar didn't even have a weapon on him when they arrested him on the boat. I'm now wondering why there was so much shooting at the boat. Did someone panic? Will it now drive the OP crazy to now find out the city was shut down while they searched for an unarmed man.

They've only found one weapon and that was the gun fired by Talmar.

by Anonymousreply 30104/25/2013

Well, they didn't know he was unarmed -- if that was the case.

by Anonymousreply 30204/25/2013

Just a reminder: two years ago, in Spokane, a bomb very similar to the Marathon bombs was left along the route of Spokane's Martin Luther King Day parade. It was filled with shrapnel, designed to injure or kill as many people as possible (plus rat poison to prevent blood from clotting), and the only reason it didn't was because it was discovered and disarmed before the parade began.

It was put there by a white supremacist from rural Washington, who was arrested after a few months and convicted and is now in jail. Nobody called him an "enemy combatant," they didn't impose a lockdown on Spokane in order to find him, and CNN didn't run 24-hour coverage of it for weeks. In fact I suspect most people don't even know about it.

by Anonymousreply 30304/25/2013

I guess "Boston Strong" really didn't "take"

by Anonymousreply 30408/28/2013

The good people of South Boston in particular never had a problem with IRA fundraising. I guess nail bombs targeting the British was OK. Total hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 30508/29/2013

Of course the manhunt, city transportation shutdown, etc. was excessive, and worse, ineffective. They found the guys because they went to a convenience store, panicked and shot a private cop, and then, later, found the younger brother because a homeowner saw blood on his boat. All that hoopla and massive police presence was worthless.

by Anonymousreply 30608/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.