Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Terrorists

I think we didn't really know about terrorists until 9/11 happened. I often wonder it takes for someone commit such an act. What motivates them to see people suffer, because in my opinion, people who are terrorists want power (that's what I think) and they don't know how to go about attaining it or they think they won't be able to attain power the conventional way so they resort to fear tactics, but what I think they fail to understand is using brute force, you will never gain true power.

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2013

Yeah we knew before then.

by Anonymousreply 104/20/2013

I think our first real taste of it was in February of 1993. The first World Trade Center bombing. Then Oklahoma City in 1995. Unfortunately terrorism will be a part of our lives for the rest of our lives. I miss the good old days (pre-1993).

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

Friends, get used to it. There are half a billion or more aimless males aged 0-40 with utterly no prospects, hope, future or women ahead of them and no great war in view to thin their ranks. More, much more, of this shit is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

Let me guess, OP. You were born sometime between 1989 and 1994.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

I don't know about the US but it's certainly not new elsewhere. The IRA, ETA, the Baader-Meinhof Gang...

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

R3 its not just men, there have been some women too. It's rare, but its happened over in the middle east.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

What was a the weather underground and Bill Ayers? How soon they forget.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

You know, every time I go to a protest or something for gay rights, I always think what if that happened while I was here. Its not like it hasn't happened before. The haters have just gone more underground and ferment in their anger.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

We are still active. It's just that we've outsourced to the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

Belfast

Dublin

London

Paris

Madrid

Munich

The Unabomber

The SLA

The Weather Underground

and on...

and on...

and on...

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

This is why Political Science courses should be mandated at the college level. It's frightening to see how little young people know about politics and history.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

1972 Olympics. Munich massacre.

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

Don't forget the Cuban exiles. They were very busy bombing in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

Terrorism is a horrible response to injustice and deprivation. There is a lot of structural not-accidental inequality in the world. US foreign policy is often barbarically acquisitive, arrogant and illegal (leading violator of international treaties etc) - and even though the US media and education system would not teach you this, there is a lot of legitimate grievances in the world. a pattern of the US acting to undermine the possibility of freedom and democracy. btw i am not anti-american. no country or people are perfect. i love thoughtful compassionate people from all over the world!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

There is injustice and legitimate grievances in the world - and those who care about those things work hard for them in ways that do not make it to the media - they organize, help people etc. The people that are involved in terrorism are people that have personal problems/issues in their lives, worship violence and have delusions of grandeur. They want to connect themselves to a big cause and make a big explosion to feel bigger. On that guy's amazon wishlist there were books about the mafia. Worshipped violence, any kind, all kinds.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

Aren't they promised 72 virgins in heaven or some fake shit if they commit terrorism? That could have something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

Terrorism is also the result of a bunch of morons and losers who can create nothing in their lives latching on to some bullshit ideology because it makes them feel big and important and deciding to indulge in a little violence because they think that will make them a hero.

If Tamerlan and Dzokhar Tsarnaev were setting off bombs and killing as a political act then they would have been doing it in Russia. The "political" angle as a cause for terrorism is valid in some cases but often it's just a bullshit excuse.

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

[quote]Terrorism is also the result of a bunch of morons and losers who can create nothing in their lives latching on to some bullshit ideology because it makes them feel big and important and deciding to indulge in a little violence because they think that will make them a hero.

Same reason people join gangs, basically. Or cults.

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

Beirut bombing of American Marines is the first time I understood how big a threat terrorism is.

Pan Am Lockerbie was the first time I was personally affected, followed by 1993 WTC. By 9/11, terrorism was a fact of life.

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013

All of you, stop it! Don't you know terrorism doesn't count unless it happens HERE!

by Anonymousreply 2004/20/2013

Is OP the same idiot who argued about the new "Democratic hegemony" after the election and admitted he didn't know anything about the Bush admin prior to Harriet Miers? That was painful.

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2013

I don't see the Marine bombing and Lockerbie as similar. The former was an action against a military target.

by Anonymousreply 2204/20/2013

A very smart analyst on MSNBC this morning was was asked by the moderator, "what kind of person can place a bomb right next to a young boy knowing it will definitely end his life?"

The terrorism expert didn't miss a beat and said when the CAUSE is more important than innocent human life, all bets are off.

And as for them wreaking hell on the US rather than their true enemy Russia, my personal belief is that they wanted to bring attention to the separatists "plight" in Chechnya. I for one was aware of the strife between Muslims and Xtians there, but from what I've read thus far, many Americans hadn't even heard of the region. For the record Chechnya makes the Serb/Bosnia war look tame in comparison. Why doesn't Russia just let them go???

by Anonymousreply 2304/20/2013

They would like you to think it is about some big cause. It isn't.

by Anonymousreply 2404/20/2013

[quote]Same reason people join gangs, basically. Or cults.

...or radical religious sects

by Anonymousreply 2504/20/2013

[R24] How do you know that it isn't in their minds?

To my mind,teaching a girl to read isn't a big deal, but that act can get you killed.

by Anonymousreply 2604/20/2013

Puerto Rican nationalists opening fire inside the House of Representatives, 1954.

by Anonymousreply 2704/20/2013

How do you know what is in his mind, R26?

These "causes" are an excuse. It's a celebration of violence. He was reading about the American mafia, too. Doesn't mean he was in the mafia, or cared about that? The link? Violence. Violence is cool. The media tells us that all the time. It's a pattern that happens with these types over and over - a love of violence, their life isn't going anywhere anyway, so murder suicide looks exciting.

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2013

R26, I am sure that, in their minds, it is all for a great cause. But, their minds have been filled with hatred and bigotry and they are fucking idiots and also morons for having such bullshit in their minds. Seriously, just because in someone's mind they think that by bombing innocent civilians they are advancing a great cause doesn't mean they're right! They are wrong!

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.