Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Good Life (USA: Good Neighbors)

Anyone else feel that Penelope Keith's character, Margot Ledbetter, was designed for gay men to appreciate?

by Anonymousreply 2804/23/2013

No, I don't get that at all. That character could be appreciated by anyone watching the show. Why would they design a character just for gay men? Felicity Kendal's character was just as appealing as Keith's.

by Anonymousreply 104/22/2013

Margot was affected, whereas Barbara was down-to-earth. I would think queens would love her going on about Miss Mountshaft's choral society, the pony club, etc. Sort of a "Hyacinth prequel" (although Margot honestly tried to be helpful at times).

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2013

And Margot really was posh. Hyacinth is just a pretentious social-climber wannabe posh.

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2013

Anyone ever been to Surbiton? What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

[quote]And Margot really was posh

Not really, did you see where they live? (@ link)

Very suburban and not posh suburban.

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

Margot was a social climber, who probably came from a solid middle-class background, unlike Hyacinth, whose own roots were lower-middle-class.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2013

Oh, dear, stinky linky. I'll try again.

It was actually shot in Northwood (@ link)

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2013

The Buckets and the Leadbetters were in the same social class. The difference is that Hyacinth "married up" from somewhat squalid circumstances while Margot was born and bred to expect lower-upper middle class comfort without letting it go to her head. Margot was more relaxed and less deluded than Hyacinth and she could sometimes be swayed to drop her facade of elegance.

The Leadbetters had a slightly more posh residence than the Buckets but at least Richard and Hyacinth didn't live next door to a one-acre working farm.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

[quote] a slightly more posh residence

I don't think we should bother listening to another word from you on this subject. You've invalidated yourself.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

[quote]The Buckets and the Leadbetters were in the same social class.

I got the feeling (and the show lets it slip from time to time) that Richard Bucket was from a relatively posh background, which is why Hyacinth married him (that and the fact that he's passive). Upper middle. If you pay careful attention she sometimes asks him if something is appropriate or not. His answer is usually, "No one cares."

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

I once saw 'Richard' at John Lewis in Oxford Street. In the electronics dept.

Margot would have gone to John Lewis, so would Hyacinth...but probably to a suburban branch if they had them then.

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

R9, all I meant was that the Leadbetters lived in a free-standing house with a private yard in a suburb of London while the Buckets lived in a semi-detached in a suburb of Coventry. If my choice of words "invalidates" me, I guess I'll go have a bacon-chip butty with Onslow.

When it comes to pretense, Hyancinth and Margot have nothing on you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2013

[quote]When it comes to pretense,

Oh, dear...you're at it again.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

Go fuck yourself, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

I liked Penny Keith better as Audrey fforbes-Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

[quote]Go fuck yourself

Clearly, R14, is 'more posher' than I am and when it comes to 'pretense'...

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

I have no idea what's going on here anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2013

It sounds like we have an unhinged British grammar troll on the loose. They are five hours ahead of us so he is probably well into the cocktail hour.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

pre·tense n. 1. The act of pretending; a false appearance or action intended to deceive. 2. A false or studied show; an affectation: a pretense of nonchalance. 3. A professed but feigned reason or excuse; a pretext: under false pretenses. 4. Something imagined or pretended. 5. Mere show without reality; outward appearance. 6. A right asserted with or without foundation; a claim. See Synonyms at claim. 7. The quality or state of being pretentious; ostentation.

I can't see how the word "pretense" was used wrongly at R12.

Perhaps Her Majesty the Grammar Queen at R16 would care to explain.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

The Bucket manse seems completely detached to me?

Hyacinth's asking if something is appropriate is not a real question, but a rhetorical device to show that in the end she couldn't care less what Richard thinks, and will argue with whatever he says, which is why he often refuses to be engaged in that game.

I don't the impression that Hyacinth's childhood was quite as squalid as Onslow and Daisy's downmarket lazy slob digs, although Rose is rather slutty.

As for the Ledbetters, Surbiton seems more upper middle class than truly posh. The only comparison I can think of would be somewhere like Ridgewood, New Jersey (back in the 70's).

Having recently viewed the episode where Hyacinth crawls through the backyards to avoid Liz seeing how Daisy lives, I was surprised by the cheek-by-jowl wealthy vs. downmarket areas.

O/T question:

On the episode where the lady refuses to leave daddy's room ("I've got witnesses!"), the dorky single 45 y/o son is gay, and scared shiteless of predatory Rose, right?

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

The four stars of Good Neighbors really had perfect timing and played with and off each other better than any sitcom today. Of course they had better script writers, too.

by Anonymousreply 2104/23/2013

NO!! No! We're not watching the bloody Good Life!! Bloody bloody bloody!! I hate it!! It's so bloody nice! Felicity 'Treacle' Kendall and Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briers!! What do they do now?! Chocolate bloody Button ads, that's what!! They're just a couple of reactionary stereotypes, confirming the myth that everyone in Britain is a lovable, middle-class eccentric - and I - HATE - THEM!!

by Anonymousreply 2204/23/2013

[quote]Felicity 'Treacle' Kendall and Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briers!! What do they do now?! Chocolate bloody Button ads, that's what!!

Richard Briers doing ads? What year are you posting from? Richard Briers is dead! Gone over. Done. Departed. Six-feet-under.

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

"Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briers!! What do they do now?!"

Actually, Richard Briers died this past February of emphysema, he was 79.

by Anonymousreply 2404/23/2013

R22 was channelling Vvyan from "The Young Ones".

by Anonymousreply 2504/23/2013

[quote]I liked Penny Keith better as Audrey fforbes-Hamilton.

In an interview on the DVD set of "To the Manor Born," Keith discussed people's comparison of Margo and Audrey. Although many people see the characters as being very similar, she thinks they're poles apart.

"They'd never be friends," she said, then (roughly) the following comparison of her own:

[quote]If you look at Audrey fforbes-Hamilton, there's absolutely no question that she's the queen of the area where she lives. She knows it and everybody else knows it. Margo would like to think she's in that position, but she's really more of a parvenu, isn't she?

God, I love Penelope Keith!

by Anonymousreply 2604/23/2013

Neil's father: Felicity Kendal is sweetly pretty, and I want to protect her!

Vyvyan: That's the first time I've heard it called THAT before.

by Anonymousreply 2704/23/2013

Doctor Martin's, Doctor Martin's, Doctor Martin's BOOTS!

That's the thing I remember most about The Young Ones.

by Anonymousreply 2804/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.