Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think most actors are losers who couldn't make it anywhere else?

I think so. With very few exceptions, most actors do badly in school, and a good portion of them never went to college. I think because acting doesn't require any special knowledge, that's where they go to try to make "big money" because they had nothing going for them.

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013

I agree with R1. OP, look at it this way: what if someone came on here and made generalizations about nit-wits?

by Anonymousreply 204/20/2013

Most aspiring actors don't make it so it's hardly a last resort. For many it's their main goal, and while some achieve success (be it by chance or talent or both) even fewer sustain it. You have to be cunning to stay on top. It's a ruthless business.

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2013

The horrible truth is that actors have to sleep their way to the top. More so than actresses. And many actors are not bright, are drunks, and have no mechanical skills.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2013

Most of the actors I've personally met have been very nice. I think the losers are those who don't realize they're watching make believe on screen, and think actors are actually the characters they portray. Hedy Lamarr was, some say, the most beautiful actress who ever lived. She had no interest in her image. Instead, she co-invented a communications gadget that the U.S.N. still uses today. Many actors have other talents besides acting. They are inventors, painters, authors,carpenters and other professions such as lawyers and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

I have to agree with OP in that many known actors have not completed high school -- let alone college.

In addition, I agree with R3 in that they have to be cunning to stay in the business.

[quote]They are inventors, painters, authors,carpenters and other professions such as lawyers and politicians.[/quote]

Okay, any well known actor can get their name on a book and their popularity can get them into office.

I want you to list the inventors (more than three, please) and lawyers, more than three please.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

Give examples of stars that have shown cunning to stay on top R3 and R6. Maybe it's the people around them who are ruthless.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

OP -- you must not know any actors. And heaven knows you've got a very uniformed view of the industry.

Acting is no "fall-back" profession. It's a horrible, crushing pursuit and you have to want it more than anything else and sacrifice everything else in your life for it.

If actors don't have formal educations (and I don't concede that argument) it's because an actor's shelf life is so short. Just take a spin around DL and notice how many posters think someone in their 30's is "old." Young sells in the business and every aspiring actor knows that. Why waste time getting a degree for a career you don't want when high school (and younger) kids are going up for jobs?

If you had siad actors were needy, incapable of emotional fulfillment and almost mind-bogglingly competitive, I might have agreed with you.

But they aren't dumb, lazy or careless about their professional aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

Mon Dieu! OP est un piece de merde! Donnes-moi l'axe!

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

Humour & Sagesse pour r10!

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

OP were your advances rebuffed by an actor?

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

I used to live in Hollywood and work in the industry. Not an actor, but had many actor friends.

They are not stupid. But most dont go to college because those are the prime years to land a job. 30 is old, 40 is the cut off.

Most have other jobs, like waiters so they can have flexible hours to go on auditions. Most were smart, likeable and outgoing and charismatic.

98 percent of them are out of work at any given time. The competition is so stiff that out of all the ones I knew, only one really made a living from it.

My problem with them is they never shut it off. They always seem to be playing someone else in real life.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

r14, 40 is the cut off for what?

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

40 is the cut off for most actors trying to break into the business. Established ones of course can work until they die.

The reality is, the biggest age group of people with the highest percent of disposable money are teenagers. No rent, food, or health care bills, almost all their money goes for some form of entertainment. That unfortunately means they don't want to see 30 and 40 something on the screen unless they are playing mom or dad.

They buy, rent, download the most movies and drive the industry. Unfortunately that seems to be endless vampire movies.

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

Actors make terrific waiters.

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

No OP, I think most everyone else is a loser because they know they don't have what it takes to be a successful actor.

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.