Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is the movie "Avatar" worth watching?

I remember when it was out, everyone went apeshit crazy over it. I didn't have the time to watch it or anything else, for that matter. But, I have a one week vacation and I'm thinking about watching it. Is it worth watching? On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the movie Avatar?

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2013

No. And don't bother with Prometheus either which I just wasted last night watching.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

In 3D on a big screen, I'd give it 7.

On a TV screen, I'd give it 3.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

How about Inception?

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

On the big screen, 9.

On the small screen, 7.5.

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

I never saw "Avatar" either but I remember when it was out not one person I knew raved about it or insisted I just *had* to see it. I just remember being surprised because there was such a huge media orgasm over it and it didn't reflect anything I personally was hearing about it.

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

R3, I saw that movie in theaters and also, a friend bought the DVD for me for my birthday.

It was awesome! My dad didn't like it, though. I watched it with him; he really didn't like Leo.

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

No not worth watching a rip off of another movie, white man saves the day over the dumb 'darkies', boring!

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2013

I've always wondered about Avatar. Never saw it.

Loved Inception. Nice, different concept. Regardless how it plays out, I give lots of points for original concept. But I liked the story too. Big screen better, but still worth it at home.

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2013

If you liked Dances with Wolves, and don't mind a sci-fi retread, Avatar isn't bad. But I agree with others... it's an "experience" movie (on a huge screen in 3D it's awesome), not a "plot and characters and acting" movie (it loses a lot watching it on TV in your home). You basically watch it for the stunning effects and the "roller-coaster" experience. On that level, it succeeds quite well. And Sigourney Weaver!

Inception is quite good and worth watching.

Prometheus is a complete waste of everyone's time. Please save yourself and don't watch that utter piece of dreck.

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

I've seen better film on teeth.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

I like Avatar, even on a TV. It's a stupid movie and the hero is an idiot, really, but it looks great, Sigourney is there, and there's plenty of action.

I liked "Inception" more, in spite of its massive flaws. Parts of it are too cool for words, and parts are incoherently tragic.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

It is a live action / CGI version of Ferngully: The Last Rainforest.

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

Yes. It's a terrific movie with a lot of imagination. You should watch it at least to see the revolutionized style of film making. James Cameron developed his own camera that shot real live actors and made them the characters we see on screen right there for him to see on the monitors.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

Avatar is worth seeing just for the visuals -- quite something to imagine wholly new flora and fauna. As for the plot, it's basically just a remake of Dances with Wolves.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

Here's a cool mashup using the audio of the AVATAR trailer and scenes from Disney's POCAHONTAS!

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

R1 I was extremely disappointed in Prometheus. The cast and trailer worried me but it was worse than I imagined. I will never watch again, even for free.

The trailer for Avatar never interested me. The fake blue color of the fugly smurf-like creatures bothered me. I have no intention of ever seeing it. Several people have tried to force me to watch it to no avail.

Special effects with a sub-par plot = no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

Like all James Cameron movies, it's the kind you have to see on the big screen. Once. And never again.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

The computer graphics are visually stunning. I suggest watching it on the largest screen you can manage.

The story is weak and touches on radical environmentalist propaganda. It gets a bit too much sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

only a wingnut @r18 could sum up Avatar in such a way...

OP, r17 is spot-on. The film is visually stunning but it's best to watch it in 3D and on a very large movie screen. I saw it in the theater. When it came out on HBO, it was just not the same. I haven't watched it since and have no interest at all in seeing it again.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

R9 is right. And as pretty as the CGI mostly is, I was also disappointed in how the Navi (giant Smurfs) were rendered. The put tremendous effort into making their faces expressive, but their bodies seemed false, like sacks of neglected pixels hanging off their heads. Seeing it once on a large screen was more than enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2013

If this ever happened in reality, the Corporations would have used chemical pesticides to eliminate the blue people like a locus infestation and then taken the natural resources.

Using the military and blowing things up is nothing more than Hollywood theatrics, not reality. This is why the story reeks of environmentalist propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

No, the emperor has no clothes. It's boring, overlong and plotless. Even at the cinema in Imax I was bored out of my skull and the 3D was hurting my eyes.

Worth it for the FX only. Zoe Saldana did the best she could, but not worth it. It's hardly Gone With the Wind as one of those cultural touchstone must see bucket list films go.

Still, it's better than The Tree of Life.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

I don't know. Maybe watch Skyfall instead? I'm not really sure.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

R1 Prometheus is actually worth watching, just for Fassbender's acting alone.

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

It helped me fall asleep on a long flight.

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

Just like most James Cameron movies... it's got a shit story used to just show off impressive graphics and technology. That's about it. Just watch a handful of Youtube clips and you're done.

by Anonymousreply 2604/21/2013

just watch it. It's a 2 &1/2 hours. It isn't like a 4 year enlistment in the Army

by Anonymousreply 2704/21/2013

[quote]No not worth watching a rip off of another movie, white man saves the day over the dumb 'darkies', boring!

Actually it's white man joins forces with them to defeat evil white man.

by Anonymousreply 2804/21/2013

It's a retelling of Pocahontas. If you are going to watch it, you need a good, big tv with HD because the thing going for it is the visual, not the plot.

If you watch it on a small, crappy tv, then you lose the visual and there's no point, you'd just be wasting your time.

by Anonymousreply 2904/21/2013

The CGI was laughable. I mean, it's going to look like shit in 10 years..the equivalent of those Godzilla movies where the guy in the suit was trampling on the train set.

by Anonymousreply 3004/21/2013

The story is "Dances with Smurfs" or "Pocahontas"

You've seen it before.

But... the visuals were amazing. Especially 3D in the theaters.

It's a ground-breaking movie. Like Star Wars was.

by Anonymousreply 3104/21/2013

Saw the 3d version in the theater and the CGI was groundbreaking and phenomenal. The depth and the plant life, the flying dragons, it was all so breathtakingly real.

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!