People are stupid.
WTF? They're chanting USA! USA! in Watertown..
|by Anonymous||reply 66||04/20/2013|
it's the culture of a big sports town.
In a month or even a week, will anyone be doing anything to help the people killed or maimed in this horrific ordeal?
I hope so.
|by Anonymous||reply 1||04/19/2013|
Nationalism is never pretty.
|by Anonymous||reply 2||04/19/2013|
Retarded, is the word. No wonder the rest of the world hates us...I hate us.
|by Anonymous||reply 3||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 4||04/19/2013|
I hate that triumphalist us-vs.-"them" shit. It's not the fucking Ryder Cup - oh yeah, we lost that, didn't we?
|by Anonymous||reply 5||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 6||04/19/2013|
I told you it was Ghostbusters.
Somebody's going to scream, "I love this town!"
|by Anonymous||reply 7||04/19/2013|
It was the same after the much-vaunted Bruins fans singing of The Star Spangled Banner the other night. It was beautiful and moving and then, of course, they chanted USA! because that's what lunkhead sports fans do. Everything's a football game in this country. Elections, wars, debates. Football has ruined the culture.
|by Anonymous||reply 8||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 9||04/19/2013|
YAY! We caught a wounded 19 year old after shutting down the whole city for 23 hours!
|by Anonymous||reply 10||04/19/2013|
The wrong crowd got bombed.
|by Anonymous||reply 11||04/19/2013|
Video of Boston fraus celebrating
|by Anonymous||reply 12||04/19/2013|
For Americans, the inconvenience of the city of Boston being shut down is our equivalent of the Siege of Stalingrad. The suffering has been unbearable. No disrespect to the real victims, but we do make it all about ourselves, don't we?
|by Anonymous||reply 13||04/19/2013|
On MSNBC they mentioned that on a lot of 'jihadist' sites, posters were delighted in seeing the Boston area in fear and shut down. They crowds being positive and not cowering flies in the face of that perception.
|by Anonymous||reply 14||04/19/2013|
How incompetent was that police search that they missed the pool of blood and the torn cover of the boat...AND they had dogs! They tried to suggest it was "just outside" their perimeter. But the neighbors said they had checked the street.
|by Anonymous||reply 15||04/19/2013|
They're cheering law enforcement who've had a long, hard week.
|by Anonymous||reply 16||04/19/2013|
We are Nationalistic...just like the Nazi's. It's revolting. We never consider what our country has actually done in other countries. I hope the whole world hates us, as they should.
|by Anonymous||reply 17||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 18||04/19/2013|
I hate the patriotic stuff too, as if people in other countries couldn't withstand the strain of similar events.
|by Anonymous||reply 19||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 20||04/19/2013|
OMG, the news just said 4 people died tonight in the celebrations.
|by Anonymous||reply 21||04/19/2013|
This is why Ann Coulter hates you.
|by Anonymous||reply 22||04/19/2013|
[quote]Everything's a football game in this country. Elections, wars, debates. Football has ruined the culture.
That "USA! USA!" chant started with a hockey game, actually. More precisely, the so-called Miracle on Ice when the U.S. hickey team beat the Soviets at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY.
|by Anonymous||reply 23||04/19/2013|
They aren't booing they are chanting "Anne"
|by Anonymous||reply 24||04/19/2013|
Don't you think that "USA! USA!" chant was more fitting tonight than "Russia! Russia!" or "Canada! Canada!"
|by Anonymous||reply 25||04/19/2013|
R8, fair is fair. Can't blame this one on football. The obnoxious USA! USA! chant began at the 1980 Winter Olympics, when the underdog US hockey team rode an improbable route to a gold medal, beating our Cold War foe, the USSR, in the semifinals.
|by Anonymous||reply 26||04/19/2013|
I just hope this whole thing doesn't further erode support for stricter gun control laws.
|by Anonymous||reply 27||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 28||04/19/2013|
I meant U.S. hockey team.
|by Anonymous||reply 29||04/19/2013|
Violent asshole pieces of shit!
|by Anonymous||reply 30||04/19/2013|
Yeah, because absolutely no one has died in the name of Christ. Moron.
|by Anonymous||reply 31||04/19/2013|
The working class in Boston is one of the most rude and ignorant in the entire US of A. A bunch of moronic Irish and Italians who haven't yet overcome their peasant immigrant mentalities.
|by Anonymous||reply 32||04/19/2013|
R6 made me LOL!
|by Anonymous||reply 33||04/19/2013|
r30, the same could be applied to Southern Baptists against gays and Israelis against Palestinians.
|by Anonymous||reply 34||04/19/2013|
they're relieved, but they might be ritodded.
|by Anonymous||reply 35||04/19/2013|
If all of you hate the US so much, why not move to Chechnya. PLEASE!
|by Anonymous||reply 36||04/19/2013|
There are a lot of sad , sad sour sacks on here who just don't enjoy gatherings and resent those of us who do!!!!
|by Anonymous||reply 37||04/19/2013|
it's a blood-bath
|by Anonymous||reply 38||04/19/2013|
yankees are idiots !
|by Anonymous||reply 39||04/19/2013|
The moron brigade has arrived...
|by Anonymous||reply 40||04/19/2013|
You all sound like Gwyneth.
|by Anonymous||reply 41||04/19/2013|
Course, r20 gets no negative responses.
|by Anonymous||reply 42||04/19/2013|
I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but why all the praise for the Boston police?
They fucked up last night and let suspect two get away (on foot no less) then today shut down the entire city of Boston while going door to door to recover nothing, while the suspect was hiding in a pool of his own blood in some stranger's boat, that was of course like 2 blocks outside the large net of searching they had conducted.
Then they only showed up at the right place when the person called 9-11, and the person would have noticed the guy in the boat sooner if he hadn't been told by police to stay inside all day with the door locked.
And yet it is the narrative of the media that the Boston police are brilliant godlike heroes when they were pretty much almost outsmarted by a bloody, injured, 19 year old.
|by Anonymous||reply 43||04/19/2013|
I suppose you could have done better, asswipe?
1 muslim piece of shit dead.
1 other in custody...
in less than 5 days. Sounds like an OK job to me!
|by Anonymous||reply 44||04/19/2013|
Sometimes the truth hurts, r40. What about the pissed off people in the neighborhood who said no police officer came to their houses to do a search? I bet the guy who found him hiding in his boat isn't singing the cops praises. White hat could have broken into the guys house and taken hostages if he hadn't bled so much and was weakened from his wounds.
|by Anonymous||reply 45||04/19/2013|
I mean, wouldn't a tarp-covered 20 foot-long boat be the FIRST PLACE you would look for a guy hiding from the authorities?
|by Anonymous||reply 46||04/19/2013|
|by Anonymous||reply 47||04/19/2013|
Blind Patriotism rules the USA.
|by Anonymous||reply 48||04/20/2013|
2 fucking Muslims set bombs killing and injuring a lot of people. One was killed and the other caught within a week. I can see why the locals are cheering.
|by Anonymous||reply 49||04/20/2013|
You "guys" are idiots. They caught those fucking Muslims. Good for them.
|by Anonymous||reply 50||04/20/2013|
better than chanting.... Praise Allah
|by Anonymous||reply 51||04/20/2013|
Friends, in Boston and elsewhere, believe me when I make the following observations about the tools of my profession. I am not making these things up to scare you, and I am not trying to be sensationalist. But, from my perch here in England I was able to listen to the entirety of the exchanges that have been going on in Boston. Not because I'm a soldier, mind you. I tuned in to the local stations just like many of you did, via the web.
What I saw there, while interesting from a mildly voyeuristic point of view, disturbed me in two ways. The first, and obvious one, was that I was upset that this was happening in my country, again. The second was concern, because it was really evident from some of the footage, that my fellow Americans watch way too much television and thus have a false understanding about bullets. So this afternoon's public service announcement is to try and prevent possible harm that might otherwise be avoided.
1. Let us start off with a little of the technical. What you might want to call a "bullet," is usually actually what is more properly known as a "round" of ammunition. It has four major components. When you look at it, you see a brass tubular back half which is crimped around a usually a dull or metallic front part which is conical. That part in the very front is the part that actually goes down the barrel (picking up spin, like a spiral-thrown football, along the way), and that is the bullet. The brass tube (closed at the end), is called the "casing," and it is the second part. Inside the casing, just behind the bullet, is the propellant. The propellent, in modern rounds, is usually measured in the number of "grains" contained in the casing, and that is the third component. Finally, built into the back side of the casing is the primer. Inside the primer is a tiny bit of another kind of explosive that, when struck firmly, explodes and thereby sets off the main propellant. The main propellant drives the bullet down the barrel. OK, got all that? Four parts, only the front little bit is the actual bullet.
2. Power, with guns, is dictated by physics. As my father the physicist taught me at way too early of an age, F = M x A. Force = Mass x Acceleration. The striking, or penetrating, power of the bullet is determined by how heavy (mass) it is, multiplied by how fast it is moving. Thus, a small bullet, moving at extreme speeds, can cause a lot of damage. A large bullet can move at much slower speeds, and cause the same damage. All other things being equal, however, the higher the speed, the greater the penetration. Now, that word "penetration" is one you should think about.
3. In Hollywood, when they "use" guns, they are not really using guns. They are using props. I know you know that. But I should also point out that when they are depicting bullet strikes, they are not actual bullet strikes. There is no penetration on a movie set. Jesus, I don't believe I just wrote that as a straight line, but it's true. I know, intellectually, that almost all of you know that too. But at least, and very demonstrably, some people in Watertown, MA, last night did not appear to consider that fact. They were outside, shooting video. Gang, in Hollywood they use what are called "squibs," tiny little packets of explosive. Basically these are smaller than the "ladyfinger" firecrackers we used to pop off as kids. They are pre-positioned and electrically detonated to show you, the moviegoer, where the bullets are hitting. The folks in Hollywood do that because they work in images. We, unfortunately, live in a real world, with real bullets and immutable physics.
4. In the real world, bullets do not conveniently make little sparks everywhere they hit. So if you hear shooting and think that you're okay, because you don't see any of those sparks, woe be unto you. I think I have only seen that spark thing happen, maybe, twice. Twice, and I could not begin to count how many hundreds of thousands of bullets I have fired these past decades. OK, so we're clear? Do not think that just because you do not see sparks flying, that there are not bullets, even hundreds of bullets, flying around you. (Caveat: If you are caught in a military conflict, you may see red and green lines streaking through the air. Avoid these. These are called "tracers." For every one of those you see, there are usually 3-4 ones in between them that you are not seeing. Again, bad ju-ju. Avoid.
5. In the real world, even when a bullet does hit something, unless it is at nearly a right angle, THAT BULLET CAN STILL KILL YOU. It is called a ricochet. Ever played pool? Same idea. Remember that. Even the bullets not aimed at, or anywhere near you, can ruin your whole day.
6. In the real world, I have converted a sedan into a convertible, quite easily, using bullets. Not even a lot of bullets either. If the other guy is firing anything with greater hitting power than, say, a .32 (Google .32 caliber, .45 caliber, 5.56mm and 7.62mm...I can't do it ALL for you) it will go through things. Metals, woods, sheet-rock? No problem. Your front door will not protect you, at all. Nor will the walls of a normal suburban house, nor the three Sheet-rock walls beyond that. In a car, the only thing that really stops most bullets would be the engine block itself. All the rest of the body of a car, well, basically tin-foil. All those cop movies you remember from the 70s, when they hid behind the opened door of their patrol car and shot at the bad guy? Yea, no. Do not think that works. That is stupid, and nobody but actors in Hollywood actually does that.
If you doubt me, just Google this: Kent State Massacre sculpture bullet holes. See, I grew up near Kent State, and have been there way too many times. But in particular, this sculpture, made of thick plates of iron, with bullet-holes going through not just one, but several plates, might illustrate my point in a more visual manner. Then again, those bullets were 7.62mm.
7. SO, the bottom line is this: If you are in a place where you hear steady, and sustained, and nearby (lets call that, for some technical reasons, anything less than 800 meters) gunfire, do these things:
Go to your basement. You are cool there. If you don't have a basement, go to the other side of the house from the firing, and leave, heading away from the firing. Do not stop for a mile. If you do not think that you can leave, get on the ground floor, as far from the firing as possible, and place something solid between you and the firing. Solid is something like a bathtub, a car (engine block), a couple of concrete walls (single layer brick...nope). If you are high up (say 4rd story or higher) just get away from the side of the building where the firing is taking place. You will, mostly, be protected by the thick concrete of the structure.
8. But for cripes sake, do not step out on to your front porch and start recording a video on your iPhone, unless you actually have a death-wish, or are being paid significant amounts of money, in advance, as a combat journalist/cameraman.
|by Anonymous||reply 52||04/20/2013|
We are such a fearful, knee-jerk society here in the US. Jesus Christ, to think if we really had to endure something along the lines of a civil war or massive invasion. Truth is we are a bunch of pussies.
PS- the only time I think the USA chant was used correctly was in 1980. I remember it. It was awesome! Too bad it's been exploited to the point of the ridiculous.
|by Anonymous||reply 53||04/20/2013|
r43, you're right. There was A TRAIL OF BLOOD TO THE BOAT. People in Mattapan were in lockdown. Where were the threat assessnent people? I started posting on FB yesterday morning that the 19 y.o. was most likely injured, bleeding, and I figured curled up in a garage. His brother was the aggressor. This kid was/is a murderous idiot.
And what are the chances the transit cop wasn't hit by 'friendly fire'?
|by Anonymous||reply 54||04/20/2013|
Lt. Col. Bateman, how you do go on.
|by Anonymous||reply 55||04/20/2013|
Americans are d bags.
|by Anonymous||reply 56||04/20/2013|
R43, R54, these things aren't actually scripted.
Back to your PlayStations, please.
|by Anonymous||reply 57||04/20/2013|
R56 Piece of shit.
|by Anonymous||reply 58||04/20/2013|
I can't believe people are cheering with this nationalist nonsense. These two American immigrants may have just single-handedly tanked the immigration bill. USA indeed.
|by Anonymous||reply 59||04/20/2013|
Here in New York, we know how to deal with such clowns.
|by Anonymous||reply 60||04/20/2013|
It is pretty vomit-worthy....especially the fools who went all out and painted their faces.
|by Anonymous||reply 61||04/20/2013|
Cringeworthy. I had to turn it off.
|by Anonymous||reply 62||04/20/2013|
"I CAN SHOVE A WHOLE MIDGET UP MY ASSHOLE"
|by Anonymous||reply 63||04/20/2013|
If this was the reaction in liberal MA, just imagine what it would have been like in WV or TX.
|by Anonymous||reply 64||04/20/2013|
Won't someone PLEASE SHIT IN MY MOUTH!
|by Anonymous||reply 65||04/20/2013|
What's there not to be proud of, from what the USA, Mass, Boston and other police forces did in a matter of 4 days?
|by Anonymous||reply 66||04/20/2013|