Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it wrong to say the word "uppity?"

I need a synonym to call people who act in a manner not suited to my personal dignity. Uppity sound too racial...I was thinking of unGwynethlike but that may be hard to spell.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

"Uppity" is fine as long as you're not talking about a black person.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

Get off the computer, Ann.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

don't you mean Gwynethlike?

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

Avoid it. Try "putting on airs" or "she's a jumped-up bimbo."

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

OP, I agree with you on the use of the word, uppity. Try "high yella" next time, it sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

I am SO tired of "political correctness" ....R6 you ROCK!

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

Depends on circumstance and audience. Snob. Pretentious. Thinks their shit don't stink. Entitled (which seems the politest way to say someone's an ass).

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

[quote]a manner not suited to my personal dignity

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

Just say the people do not know their proper station.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

"Uppity" is like "entitled", it implies that the person described holds an inferior social status. Same for "jumped up", and all its variations; you simply should not use these phrases unless you have genuine social superiority and believe me you bitches do not.

"Asshole" has no awkward social or racial associations, and perfectly describes the behavior of these people.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

One of the most memorable 'uppity' quote was on a long delayed on the tarmac flight in the1990s. There was a rudely audacious black woman next to me that was giving the even-keeled, poised black female flight attendant a rough time. The flight attendant was remarkably tolerant of this passenger's ongoing hostility, never letting this woman get under her skin. Finally, the passenger, ringing the attendant for a blanket, for water, for information, for attention, for entertainment started shouting "to get this mother fuckin plane in the air" ... The passenger turned to me and said, "nothing like an *uppity* nigger to make me go ghetto"! Later, when the plane was finally in flight she handed the attendant her card...she was a hair stylist and she said "here's my card, stop by the salon in Atlanta and I'll fix that hair of yours, I've been pretty hard on you so I'll give you 10% off. "

It could be a great skit on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

R11, I disagree. It says nothing of my station to notice another person acting entitled.

Entitled is when you believe the world owes you something simply for your existence, and you act as if you deserve more than the share everyone else gets. That has nothing to do with me, if I notice it about someone.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

r6 and r7, you two are so edgy and cool, but I'm certain not enough to be edgy and cool offline.

Losers

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

The exact synonym you're looking for is "Presumptious" OP.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2013

Or is it "Presumptuous" yes I think that's it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.