Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is SiriusXM Radio worth getting?

Bought a new car and it's equipped with this.

by Anonymousreply 4701/13/2015

absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

I love it on road trips. When my free trial expired, I opted for the lifetime subscription.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

If you have a smartphone and the car has Bluetooth or an auxiliary jack, you can get plenty of commercial-free radio for free.

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

YES

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

Yes, I love it, there's a ton of variety and its programmed really well.

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

Yes, I love it. No commercials. No commercials. No commercials.

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

SiriusXM Radio is in very serious financial difficulties right now and might go under. I wouldn't be getting a lifetime subscription.

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2013

r7, Sirius has revenues of $900 million and profits of $150 million last quarter, and 24 million subscribers.

It will not have to pay taxes for years, because it had so many losses in its start-up era.

It is now more-than-50% owned by Liberty Media, one of the most profitable media companies in the world.

Somehow I think they'll do fine.

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2013

hahahha! So OP and his legions of posters are actually salesmen publicists for Serius XM!!! I knew it!!

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2013

It's OK when they discount it, for sure. Most new cars get a 3 to 6 month trial period.

I think we cancelled and then they offered us $30 for 6 months at some point.

It didn't make sense for us beyond that b/c we just don't drive a lot - only on long road trips a few times a year. But obviously the more you drive the more sense it makes.

Sound quality is good. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have some logical choices - no real indie station and no dance/disco one (I think they eliminated one). But I liked a lot of the other stations.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

Actually, R7, SiriusXM radio might be going out of business. Its subscriptions have plummeted, its stock at the price it was 6 years ago. Sirius has layed-off employees, cut programming and reduced wages. You'd know all of this if you read the Wall Street Journal.

Anyone who buys a subscription to it risks losing their money.

It is a subsidiary of Liberty Media, yes, and Liberty is about to pull the plug on its poor cousin.

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2013

I subscribe and like it.

The normal annual price for the subscription I have is $160, but call the customer service number and ask about their special offer of $68/year; if they ask how you heard of the offer, say that someone at the car dealer mentioned it.

They'll give you the special deal without any argument; though each year you'll have to call and ask again at renewal time.

(It might be $77, or $77 with tax, in any case not exactly $68, but they're well accustomed to customers asking for the deal.)

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2013

I hate it, cancelled subscription...which wasn't an easy task, assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2013

[quote]You'd know all of this if you read the Wall Street Journal

Rupert Murdoch should sue you for defamation.

Subscriptions have not plummeted; see link.

Stock price six years ago today was $2.98; four years ago it was $0.50; today it's $3.00.

The company has also hired new employees, added new channels, and introduced new programs.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2013

Howard Stern the main reason Sirius is still going, has said he will not renew his contract when it's over in 2 years. Sirius has screwed him. There is a great gay station on there and any type of music you want. Don't buy the lifetime subscription. Just pay for it for a few years before they go under.

by Anonymousreply 1504/19/2013

I love it, OP. It's a good investment if you hate all the commercials on modern radio.

by Anonymousreply 1604/19/2013

nope.

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

I loved it but I got rid of it because I had Sirius snap. when I get a new car I plan to install it. the talk radio especially is great for road trips. and yeah love all the variety of programming... love the dance station Bpm

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

If you love music, then get it, just not at the first price they offer you. Also, I love to switch over to the comedy station when I'm having a sh*tty day.

Of course, Howard Stern is always good when Robin does the news.

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013

I think the business model is failing.

The music is replayed much more often than before. Some of the programming -- particularly "Sirius Left" -- is lackluster. (Especially Alex Bennett.)

The cost is worth if it all you care about is Howard Stern; and even that is questionable given how often his program has reruns.

Terrestrial radio really sucks. And if you like talk-radio, you to watch out for how much of it is rightwing dominated. The leftwing stuff isn't left enough, thanks to Bennett and, a few short years ago, the inclusion of the late Lynn Samuels (who admitted she's a birther).

I canceled my service in January. Had to do so out of financial concerns that I had briefly. I can go back to it. But I'm not missing it. I did like listening to Larry Flick on Out-Q. But, really, it's just not enough to making subscribing worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/20/2013

One thing I can also say is this: I used to lease vehicles. Not any more. When I switched out of a vehicle and into a new one, Sirius was difficult to coordinate in part because I was sharing the account with my partner also going from one vehicle to the next. I had more than one account in my name. So did he. That is one thing to add to this discussion about illogical ways in which Sirius does some of its business.

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2013

Thanks everyone! I missed out on most of the three month trial.... I didn't know I had to call for an auth. code refresh to get it going and I am not too good with reading directions in manuals.. there! I said it! :). The sales person at the dealership never explained about calling in for the authorization and he never returned my calls... and this was a reputable Hyundai dealer in the city. Don't really listen to radio all that much, mostly CD's but I do take quite a few road trips in summer and I work for myself so there is travel involved. But I may go ahead and register for the rest of the free trial. Thanks R12 for the tip!

by Anonymousreply 2204/20/2013

I like it ok, but when I cancelled my subscription after 2 years (just didn't feel like paying for it anymore), they wouldn't stop calling me to try to come back.

by Anonymousreply 2304/20/2013

I like it. I like listening to the cable news TV channels in the car in the morning--Signorile and BPM on the way home.

My secret pleasure is the gospel station. If you can get past all these Jesusy lyrics, the music is really good.

by Anonymousreply 2404/20/2013

I just re-subscribed because I bought a "new" used car and called them and was given a 6 month subscription for 25 bucks. One thing I've noticed is the sound quality is lousy and flat and there isn't one music station I'm particularly fond of. I'd much rather listen to radio streamed from my phone, which I still do and it can sound amazing depending on the station. Not sure I'll subscribe again when 6 months are up.

And r22, call them up and explain and you may get the cheap 6 month deal too. Doesn't hurt to ask.

by Anonymousreply 2504/20/2013

It's worth it to me. I haven't listened to a broadcast radio station since I got Sirius. I bought a small amount of Sirius stock a few years ago, as well, and I've seen a 119% return. I wish I had invested more.

by Anonymousreply 2604/20/2013

if you can't do your own mixes, then maybe you'll like it. I find it to be trite and ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 2704/20/2013

Not worth it to me. Got a greedy subscription when I bought a car. When the time was up they offered 6 months for $25. I took it but had to pay a little more because I would not use my credit card. They had to invoice me and I paid by check. I assumed when 6 months was up and I did not renew they would turn off my service. They did not do this. I called them and they told me I needed to pay them more money. I told them to close my account and send me a bill because I was not going to give them a credit card number.

The next 6 months I got a phone call from them at least once a day wanting me to renew.

I still get phone calls but not that often and I still get emails from them.

If you listen to the radio a lot while in the car and can get a subscription at a cheap price - go for it. But be prepared for a hassle if you want to leave.

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2013

Well smell you, R27.

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2013

Admitted theater queen here. How is the show tunes channel? Music Choice on cable use to have a really good selection including songs from 50's and 60's musicals. They changed a few years ago combining soundtrack recordings and Les Miz, Phantom show tunes over and over. Can't bother with it now.

by Anonymousreply 3004/20/2013

OP---it sucks, believe us. Spend your money on CDs

by Anonymousreply 3104/20/2013

[quote] Sirius has revenues of $900 million and profits of $150 million last quarter, and 24 million subscribers

that doesn't really matter if they have a billion in debt. I don't know how much they owe or what their liabilities they have, but financial stability is a lot more than just revenues.

by Anonymousreply 3204/20/2013

I'm actually listening to it now, and it's great. I mostly listen to the Love Songs channel, sap that I am.

The split is about 50% 'for' and 50% 'against', OP. I guess it's up to you now.

by Anonymousreply 3304/20/2013

[quote]that doesn't really matter if they have a billion in debt. I don't know how much they owe or what their liabilities they have, but financial stability is a lot more than just revenues.

Do you have a mortgage? Debt's not a bad thing; you make payments on it from your income.

Sirius has $2.5B in debt (GM has $16B; ExxonMobil, $11B; Wal-Mart, $54B). Some of its notes are due in 2013, some in 2018, some in 2022, etc.

With annual revenues approaching $4B, the company can easily make its debt payments just as you make your house payments. Last year they paid off $700M of the 2013 amount 10 months early.

They have been paying down their debt for the last four years, from incoming revenue. They have also been refinancing high-interest notes (13%) to low-interest (5.5%) so that the impact on the balance sheet is even less.

It's a fairly stable company that's allocating capital well.

by Anonymousreply 3404/20/2013

R34,= the devil is in the room

by Anonymousreply 3504/21/2013

OP here-- got six additional months for $30.00 which will start when the trial period ends in two weeks.. Being the theatre queen that I am I LOVE the Broadway station with Christine Pedi and Seth Rudensky. They play older selections like cable Music Choice use to have. Also enjoying the 70's and 80's music. Thanks again for the responses.

by Anonymousreply 3605/01/2013

Meh. Their playlists are very limited. I connect my phone through Bluetooth and have Spotify running all the time. Better setup for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 3801/12/2015

It was better when it first came out. All but the cheapest new cars have Bluetooth--that and your smartphone's music collection are better than SiriusXM.

by Anonymousreply 3901/12/2015

OP I got three free months when I bought my Hyundai. I subscribed for a special price$24.00 for six months after the fre trial ws up. When I called after the extension ended to cancel, they renewed for another 6 months for a one tie pymt. Of $24.00. I called again this past November to cancel and once again,they offere to renew for another 6 months t tht price. When I mentioned that I had used that offer three times,the customer service rep said. That this was their policy nd they wanted to keep their subscriber. It s nice to have on long drives.

by Anonymousreply 4001/12/2015

If you do a lot of traveling beyond your local home radio stations? Yes. Cross-country and cross-time zone travels are made awesome by satellite radio. No more "Nothing to listen to but the hog report" as you drive through Iowa.

But if you only drive around your own home town, and if you car has Bluetooth, and you have a smart-phone? Not sure why you'd want or need it.

by Anonymousreply 4101/12/2015

I don't get why people pay for this and don't just use their iPod. Yeah, it has no commercials, but just because you have 80s on 8 on, doesn't mean you're gonna 80's songs you like. especially when they do those top 40 countdowns

by Anonymousreply 4201/12/2015

Duh, R42, because you can discover NEW music rather than just listen to the same stuff you already have.

by Anonymousreply 4301/12/2015

YES!

by Anonymousreply 4401/12/2015

You are not likely to find any new music on satellite radio. Each station plays the same 20some artists over and over and over.It's the same

by Anonymousreply 4501/13/2015

I don't have a car but I have a portable Sirius radio, which I listen to constantly at work (mid-management, cubicle-dweller here).

I don't listen to music as much as OutQ and Progress, especially Michelangelo Signorile. I enjoy listening to political discussions.

I bought a $400 lifetime subscription back in 2007 so there is no cost to me any more, but if I had to pay monthly I still would consider it worth it.

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2015

If you like Broadway, that channel is worth it just for Christine Pedi who hosts mornings. Just avoid Seth Rudensky who rushes and garbles his words. Oh, and no talent Julie James who talks over everyone she interviews. On her she " Broadway Names with Julie James." She is awful.

by Anonymousreply 4701/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.