Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boy Scouts: Baby gays are cool

Boy Scouts Move to Lift Ban on Gay Members

By ERIK ECKHOLM

Officials of the Boy Scouts of America said Friday that they propose ending their ban on openly gay scouts but continuing to bar gay adults from serving as leaders. The decision, which follows years of heated controversy within the organization and growing outside criticism, must be approved by the roughly 1,400 voting members of the Scouts’ National Council at a meeting in Texas the week of May 20.

“No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone,” the proposed policy states, but the organization “will maintain the current membership policy for all adult leaders.”

The proposed resolution also emphasizes that “scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether homosexual or heterosexual, by youth of scouting age is contrary to the virtues of scouting.”

The resolution continues, “The Boy Scouts of America does not have an agenda on the matter of sexual orientation, and resolving this complex issue is not the role of the organization, nor may any member use scouting to promote or advance any social or political position or agenda.”

The issue of gay members and leaders has tormented the Boy Scouts over the last year. The dismissal of a lesbian Cub Scout den mother received wide publicity, and gay rights groups started a campaign for change.

Conservative politicians and religious leaders urged the Boy Scouts to continue with the policy of not questioning members or leaders about their sexuality but ejecting any who were openly gay.

In private, Boy Scout officials also received pressure from religious groups to keep their longstanding policy. Groups including the Mormon Church and the Roman Catholic Church sponsor a large and growing share of scout troops around the country.

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2014

What's the reason given for not allowing openly gay men? Because gay men are all pedophiles, is that it?

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

Or women.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

this is not good enough in any way shape or form.

so those gay boy scouts? they are being told they can not grow up to be boy scout leaders?

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

So they're essentially saying that the boy scouts will be a place where you can have some hot outdoor orgy sex, but the scoutmasters can't join in? That hardly seems fair and hurt their quest to attract good leaders.

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

So what?

Sexuality shouldn't be fixed until they are of legal age.

This is from someone who knew he was gay from the age of eight (age of three when I knew I liked boys, but didn't know what it meant)

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

"fixed"? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

""fixed"? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

That you are a rage-aholic?

Let us grown-ups have a chat for once? Please? Just for once?

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2013

I think he meant "determined" not "repaired." I think he's being ridiculous (his own experience contradicts him).

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2013

worse than not changing policy at all.

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2013

I don't agree that it's worse. At least a kid can't be refused membership or kicked out because someone thinks he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

"We' don't "need" to be Scout leaders. However, those who loved the organization growing up and want to continue to contribute to it should not be prevented from doing so because they are gay.

You are basically saying gay people should not be teachers, coaches, scout leaders or any other position that brings us into contact with kids because people will think we are child abusers. It's not straight people who hate us. It's you.

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2013

I hate grown gay men who are always trying to cozy up to teen boys. Wouldn't catch you working with the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2013

There are no gay people working in nursing homes or hospitals because we chose our careers on the basis of our innate desire to abuse teens? Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2013

The Boy Scouts have obviously never seen my baby pictures.

by Anonymousreply 1504/19/2013

This is an insult and a slap in the face to the very gay boy scouts they are pretending to include.

You think you'd want to be a gay boy scout, climb the scouting ranks, and as soon as you turn 18 be kicked out??

Insulting and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1604/19/2013

Then there's this.

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2013

This is a sign that they're getting a lot of pressure to change -- and it's more than the pressure they're getting from the Mormon cult and Fundie groups. No doubt donations are down and membership is falling.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

[quote]I hate grown gay men who are always trying to cozy up to teen boys.

Too bad you weren't blown to bits at the Marathon. I could have walked by and spit on you.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

Damn

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

How can they be saying "baby gays are cool" when they are saying baby gays grow up to be NOT cool gay adults? No.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

Are there straight female boy scout leaders?

Straight male girl scout leaders?

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

[bold]Disney to pull Boy Scouts funding by 2015 over policy banning gay leaders[/bold]

(CNN) -- The Walt Disney Company has given notice to the Boy Scouts of America that it will pull all funding to the group starting in 2015 because of a BSA membership policy that bans gay leaders, the entertainment company said Friday.

Disney does not give money directly to the national organization or local BSA councils. However, through its VoluntEARS program, Disney allows employees to do volunteer work in exchange for cash donations to the charities of their choice.

Employees taking part in the VoluntEARS program will no longer be able to submit the funds to the Boy Scouts, the organization said. The new policy will not affect Walt Disney employees who volunteer with the Scouts, the company said.

"We believe every child deserves the opportunity to be a part of the Scouting experience, and we are disappointed in this decision because it will impact our ability to serve kids," BSA spokesman Deron Smith said in a statement. "America's youth need Scouting, and by continuing to focus on the goals that unite us, we continue to accomplish incredible things for young people and the communities we serve."

Though the Boy Scouts voted last year to allow gay youths to join its ranks, the group maintains a ban on gay Scout leaders.

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.