Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adolphus Busch IV Resigns From NRA After Gun Control Defeat In Senate

WASHINGTON -- Adolphus Busch IV, heir to the Busch family brewing fortune, resigned his lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association on Thursday, writing in a letter to NRA President David Keene, "I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable."

The resignation, first reported by KSDK, came a day after the Senate rejected a series of amendments to a gun control bill, including a bipartisan deal to expand background checks for gun sales. The NRA had vigorously opposed all those measures.

"The NRA I see today has undermined the values upon which it was established," wrote Busch. "Your current strategic focus clearly places priority on the needs of gun and ammunition manufacturers while disregarding the opinions of your 4 million individual members."

Reached for comment on Busch's resignation, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told The Huffington Post, "We disagree with his characterization, but we wish him all the best."

Busch joined the pro-gun organization in 1975 and has spoken before of his love of hunting. But the NRA has moved in a direction that Busch would not follow. "One only has to look at the makeup of the 75-member board of directors, dominated by manufacturing interests, to confirm my point. The NRA appears to have evolved into the lobby for gun and ammunition manufacturers rather than gun owners," he wrote.

Busch told Keene, "It disturbs me greatly to see this rigid new direction of the NRA." He singled out the gun lobby's reversal of its 1999 position in favor of universal background checks, as well as its opposition to an assault weapons ban and a ban on high-capacity magazines. "I am simply unable to comprehend how assault weapons and large capacity magazines have a role in your vision," he wrote.

"Was it not the NRA position to support background checks when Mr. LaPierre himself stated in 1999 that NRA saw checks as 'reasonable'?" Busch wrote, referring to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre's testimony at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing in the wake of the 1999 Columbine High School shooting.

At that time, LaPierre said the NRA believed that universal background checks were a "reasonable" choice. The group even took out ads in major newspapers that read, "We believe it's reasonable to provide for instant background checks at gun shows, just like gun stores and pawn shops."

One week after that hearing, LaPierre rolled out the same argument that he would use 14 years later to attack President Barack Obama's gun safety proposals -- namely, that until the government prosecutes more background check violations, there is no point in expanding them.

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2013

Good for him. Going to write the company an email of thanks.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

When a guy named Adolph wants to resign from your right-wing organization, you know you've gone way off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

Not bad looking (not sure how old the photo is though)

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

WW for R2

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

Good for him! It's about time.

by Anonymousreply 504/20/2013

We need more people to stand up and do this.

Bush Sr. did it decades ago... we need more people to publicly repudiate the NRA and drop their memberships. Publicly. Loudly. Clearly.

by Anonymousreply 604/20/2013

The solution to this is very simple: find out which politicians are in the pocket of the NRA and vote them out. The huge majority of people are tired of the reps whoring to the NRA, because gun owners vote. They never legislate based on what is best for the country, but for what will get them re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

Is Anheuser-Busch a gay friendly company?

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

He looks handsome. I'll bet he has an adolphus anus...

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

At last, a company we don't have to boycott. With Busch we can have a BUYcott. This Bud's for you, Adolphus!

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

OKAY. I completely fucked up that last post. I thought this guy was a "Coors."

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

R12, you have to reward people who do the right thing. He is one of the few important members who has the guts to do this and I support him for it.

R7 is right and that's exactly what Gabby Giffords said in her excellent op-ed in the NY Times at the link below. My senator is one of the dem chicken shits who voted against even voting on the bill. He will not get my vote under any circumstances unless he changes his tune between now and the election next year.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

[quote]Actually, previous generations were named Adolph and they WERE named after Hitler.

Damn, you are a total loon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking it's the people who own Coors, you create a fairy-tale link to Hitler that doesn't exist except in your diseased brain. At least we know from that other thread that you're getting treatment for the syphilis. I hope they can reverse the damage.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

Thank heavens for that.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2013

At last we have a chance for a BUYcott instead of a boycott. I'll drink a toast to Adolphus Busch IV. This Bud's for you, Adolphus!

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

I'm still seeing more backlash against the NRA. Their membership is taking a hit.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

You truly are a moron, R12. Adolphus Busch, who founded the beer dynasty, was born 50 years before Hitler.

Get your facts straight before you bloviate.

by Anonymousreply 1904/22/2013

R12, if previous generations of Adolphs were named after Hitler, wouldn't their progenitors have spelled it correctly?

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2013

I always think that whenever you're very rich, good looking and have almost everything, there HAS to be something wrong with you (family secrets, kinks, etc). I know he had a young waitress he was dating get killed in his home.

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2013

Among candidates for federal office in 2012, Anheuser Busch gave $490,560 to Republicans and $386,468 to Democrats. They didn't give any money to Tea Party Senate candidates. No money to Bachmann in the House.

They don't seem seriously anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

His grandfather, Gussie Busch, owned the St. Louis Cardinals, and was a Johnson Democrat (civil rights, not Vietnam). Adolphus Busch IV was extremely good looking when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

[quote]OKAY. I completely fucked up that last post. I thought this guy was a "Coors."

Now, r13, Coors DID hire Mary Cheney to do outreach to the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2013

Who says everyone in the NRA has had their brains blown out?

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!