Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's a reasonable amount to pay for a glass of wine in a bar?

A nice, upscale, loungey restobar, not a trashy dive bar. I say between $10 to $15 for a glass of nice wine. It's comparable to what they charge for martinis.

by Anonymousreply 2104/19/2013

For a glass of box wine? A vintners reserve?

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

Bars are ridiculous in the wine overcharges. They buy shit for 4 bucks a bottle and then charge 10 bucks for a glass.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

bars have a three times mark up on glasses of wine, OP. just think of that

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

I realize that bars mark up drinks significantly. I'm fine with that.

Taking that into consideration, what is a reasonable amount to pay for a glass?

Do you pay less? More?

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

$2

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

Depends on where you are. In Des Moines, $2. In Marbella, €15.

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

5 bucks should be the reasonable amount.

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2013

The question is not answerable without extra variables such as level of wine and region served.

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2013

$6.50 and $8.50 house. $9 for named. Based on your establishment description.

Chain restaurant would be $4.50 to $5.

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2013

I agree with your suggested price, OP. Sure there's a mark up, but at that price you usually get a good wine, a nice atmosphere and a clientele who's not just there to get wasted.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

"reasonable amount "

Are you asking what would be a reasonable amount to charge or what is the average amount such places do charge? You're literally asking the first but I get a sense you're trying to ask the second.

A reasonable amount would be about $4-8. However, they tend to charge about $9-20 on average, I would say.

And you do know the price of wine varies enormously by what you're buying, yes? It's not just the ambience of a place which is the determinative factor.

Terrible mark-up in those places either way. Avoid whenever possible imho.

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2013

Wine is quite the racket. Once, I inadvertently ordered a "double" and was shocked to find a tab of $18 for what I considered a "generous" single pour. Ugh!

Unless it's house wine at a low-end place, I'd expect to see a minimum of $8 per glass, and unless it's a rather upscale joint, I rarely see them going over $10 or so. I'd say that's a common fixed range of what folks expect to pay.

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2013

I bring my own.

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2013

I remember the first time I was charged $8 for a glass of wine back in the 90s at Ruth's Chris. Some Washington state meh cabernet. I was so taken aback it was hard for me to enjoy it.

These days, the restaurants and wine bars I go to average around $12 a glass. I will not pay more than $15. Bottles I usually try to keep under $50.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2013

I'm asking because I'm meeting a friend for drinks after work tonight. Normally when I go out for drinks I order beer (they have good beer there too) and once in a while a martini. But beer doesn't agree with me anymore and I don't like martinis. So that leaves me with wine. I love wine, but I've never ordered it in a bar before and just wondered what I can expect to pay. I suspect it's in the 10 to 15 range per glass but I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 1504/19/2013

Paying more than $5 for a drink (any drink) at the bar (any bar) is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1604/19/2013

Why bother with what it costs. Order what you like.

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2013

The problem with this thread is that the question in the title conflicts with the description in the body of OP's post.

He asks a straight-forward question in the title: "What's a reasonable amount to pay for a glass of wine in a bar?", the operative word here being "reasonable".

He then goes on to describe exactly the sort of place --"A nice, upscale, loungey restobar" -- that is notorious for charging unreasonable prices and adding exponential markups on alcohol.

So there is no answer. "A nice, upscale, loungey restobar" doesn't charge reasonable prices for wine (or anything else). They overcharge for the very reason that they are "nice, upscale, loungey"--to keep poor people out.

I'm poor. A reasonable price for a glass of wine, considering overhead, labor expenses and profit margins, is about 5 bucks, 10 tops.

by Anonymousreply 1804/19/2013

[quote]Why bother with what it costs. Order what you like.

You're right. And that's what I'm going to do. I'm only going to having a couple of glasses (three tops) anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1904/19/2013

I don't drink.

by Anonymousreply 2004/19/2013

OP -- honestly, mixed drinks are a better "deal" than wine-by-the-glass, just DON'T get them with "house" booze, which is generally pretty bad - especially gin! If you do order wine, anything over $12 ($10 really) and I'd say you're getting snookered as well as snockered.

R16 -- maybe I'm just too classy a guy, but $5/drink max at places that get my custom on a regular basis would be limited to cruddy low-end beer (think: Miller Lite) and "house" brand mixed drinks at happy hour (maybe). Wine at $5/glass would likely be pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 2104/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.