Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Voice Vs. AI

Just curious why the flailing American Idol, with its mediocre judges and even more mediocre talent, seems to be everywhere in the headlines, despite its waning popularity...whereas The Voice, a much better produced show with far better talent and superior judges, barely rates a blip on the MSM radar.

That even seems to be true here on DL. I personally don't know a soul who watches AI anymore, but know tons of people who are quite taken with The Voice.

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2013

I wonder the same thing. I don't go there anymore, but, Perez Hilton always presented every performance on his site and never shuts up about them. He seldom has ever said a word about the Voice. I assume he was a paid shill for the show.

by Anonymousreply 104/19/2013

The Voice is also VERY gay-friendly, with Adam Levine, Shakira, Usher and Christina all making very gay positive comments. Adam has been critical about AI regarding their rather obvious attempts to tone down the sexuality of their gay contestants.

When it comes to publicity, I've noticed the same thing with DWTS vs. So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD has FANTASTIC dancers, and FANTASTIC host in the form of Cat Deeley (who I love) and much more constructive criticism from the judges. Yet, the lame DWTS gets all the publicity.

by Anonymousreply 204/19/2013

Gorgeous guy on The Voice this season...Josiah Hawley, ex-model. Lucious.

Also an out lesbian in the finals who is extraordinary.

I'm lovin' this season so far. I'm even liking the C/W singers, which is not usually my fav by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 304/19/2013

"Just curious why the flailing American Idol, with its mediocre judges and even more mediocre talent, seems to be everywhere in the headlines, despite its waning popularity...whereas The Voice, a much better produced show with far better talent and superior judges, barely rates a blip on the MSM radar."

This is so wrong. First of all how can you say American Idol has mediocre judges when Adam Levine and Shakira have two of the worst voices in showbiz? Shakira sounds like a goat and Adam sings through his nose. AI also has better talent that is why so many Idol contestants have released gold or platinum albums and singles while no one from The Voice has made a dent on the charts

"The Voice is also VERY gay-friendly, with Adam Levine, Shakira, Usher and Christina all making very gay positive comments"

The show is hosted by homophobe Carson Daly who has made very bigoted comments about gays

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

R4 = Ryan Seacrud

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

I'm a little bored with AI but it's still miles better than The Voice. The concept is stupid: blind auditions, spinning chairs, not-at-all scripted "bickering" coaches, mentoring sessions, battle rounds. Not to mention the douche chills provided by Shelton, Carson, and Adam Levine.

And who even remembers who wins this show each season? Who even cares?

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

Who can remember any of the winners other than Kelly Clarkson? The rest are either punchlines or failed-to-launch nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2013

Yes, R7, Carrie Underwood is certainly an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 804/20/2013

Al who?

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2013

AI is lame, but it's contestants have careers. The Voice is in it's fourth year and not one contestant has made a mark in the biz. Even stupid Phil Phillips, last year's AI, is now a huge performer. AI is still the champ, though I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2013

R7 If you look at Idol shows around the world the first winner seems to do better than every later contestant. So it's not exactly about talent.

Both are celebrity vehicles now. It's not about the contestants anymore. For the first 5-6 seasons of American Idols most of the news about the show was of the contestants. The Voice doesn't care about credibility at all since it's never produced anyone who's had a single land in the top 40. The celebrities act like they give two shits about the singers yet I bet they don't even have contact after the show ends.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

r10...the reason is because the producers market their talent through concerts and recording contracts. If they hit, great...if not, no big loss. For those who claim the only name AI has produced is Kelly Clarkson...think Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Fantassia Barrino, among others...they might not be the top of their respective fields, but people know who they are...honestly, who has The Voice produced that people have actually heard of ?

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2013

That's what I was saying R12. AI has given countless contestants careers. Obviously, only Kelly and Carrie and Jennifer have legitimate careers, but TONS of other contestants have made a shitload. The Voice hasn't had one contestant even have one hit single.

And Phillips, who won after the glory years, had one of itunes top selling singles last year. AI is a dinosaur, but it tends to work.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

I don't know why The Voice hasn't produced a star, other than the behind the scenes writing team isn't as good as AI. The Voice deinitely as the better talent.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

AI starts with mostly undiscovered and previously unrecorded talent. It was in fact a criteria before, not sure now.

The voice invites contestants to audition, many of whom are already professional singers or teachers, front a band, or back-up for well known artists etc.

The voice initially appears to have better talent because the public is not let in on many rounds of decisions. Not a bad idea, but even with all the Sanjaya's and Lazaro's, the Philip Philips and other unworthy winners, Idol still offers more excitement of new talent being discovered and blossoming.

Idol used to have a country week, Motown, Broadway, American songbook and even Disco week. They put the singers to a bit more of a test of versatility and nerves.

The Voice enhances the contestants vocals and gives them ridiculous production values as if they are established stars and picks only songs that support the "brand" the coach is placing on the singer. They refer to all as artists, which is not only pretentious but stupid. The voice is far more open to gay and alternative singers and looks and they cover much more current material. A lot of excitement is created through spinning chairs, boxing rings, celestial choirs and moving sets. The judges each have a distinct role and it is more a competition between the celebrities. The contestants are really secondary.

Idol was for many years directly connected to Clive Davis and they are a huge marketing machine. There is long term nurturing and promotion. The voice is just a ratings grab, temporary home, like the circus in town. Idol before Nicki fink and Mariah Carey was something more than a shiny carnival. They are a franchise of recording artists, and not only the winners. (The judges are the disposables.)

Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the most famous of course, also among the largest selling artists of the last 10 years. Chris Daughtry was a legit find too, and many Idol singers are working in the business. Jennifer Hudson is always mentioned. She did not deserve to win over Fantasia and her voice though large in range and volume had the same problems then as it does now. She got lucky and got a bit better later.

Fantasia though disliked by many was a far more original find and a clear star from the word go. She kind of messed it up professionally and personally, but was on her way to being as successful as Clarkson or Underwood.

Clay Aiken, has sold millions with his mile wide vibrato and Divo voice. It is a good voice technically.

They have had some good singers on The Voice and certainly now have better judging and critiques but the contestants are too packaged, mostly too old to stir the necessary excitement, and Itunes is such a fleeting way of measuring success. Not quite legit.

Many famous singers and musicians follow and pay attention to American Idol. The Voice, not so much.

Idol should pack it in after Candice Glover wins this year and count their blessings to have a true singing star emerge again, with no help from the high paid help. They won't of course, but I will not watch again.

I don't watch The Voice because they dick around with and "assist" the contestants vocals too much. It is like Katy Perry, Rihanna week, every week.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

The thing I don't like about either of these shows anymore is how they keep trying to push these wannabe country music singers. The country music overload is getting tiresome. They need to just stick to pop/rock/light R&B.

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.