Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

One in five women in Korea has gotten plastic surgery

According to the article, looks play a major role in in a South Korean's life. When I read the article, I couldn't believe it. Apparently college acceptance is also influenced by the way that you look. Scary.

"There's a full-length mirror and a scale on every single floor of the all-girls high school where Julia Lurie works. She's an American teaching English in South Korea, the country with the highest per capita rate of plastic surgery in the world. One in five women in Seoul have undergone some kind of procedure. Most popular: Eyelid surgery, to make the eyes "more Western," and getting your jawbone shaved or chiseled down for a less-square and more V-shaped look.

"When you are applying for university or appling for a job here, you put a picture of yourself on your resume or application," Lurie says in a recent segment on This American Life (you can listen to here). "It is sort of taken for granted that how you look will often go into the decision." She says she's been told that if there are two otherwise equal candidates, the prettier person will get the job. Her students see this as normal — perhaps unsurprising when you consider the nation's status as the country most obsessed with plastic surgery.

As an experiment, Lurie asked her students to describe a beautiful woman. "White skin," they replied. "Big eyes." Thin. Tall. B cup. Sounds like the same narrow standards of beauty fashion magazines and designers doing runway shows adhere to, standards that are eventually broadcast with images seen around the world."

by Anonymousreply 3304/22/2013

Sad. But they're free to do as they please to their own bodies I guess.

by Anonymousreply 104/18/2013

Is this why those wimmins in the latest Psy vid look the way they does?

by Anonymousreply 204/18/2013

"One in five women in Korea has gotten plastic surgery"

Read the article - that figure is from Seoul, not all of Korea

by Anonymousreply 304/18/2013

Psy looks like he's been dipped in plastic. Just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 404/19/2013

9.9 of every 10 real Housewives has had breast augmentation

by Anonymousreply 504/19/2013

One in five women in Seoul? Even Dallas doesn't have that high a rate of plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 604/19/2013

I have non-Korean East Asian friends who constantly rag on Koreans and say that they get so much plastic surgery because they desperately need it. I guess they say that Koreans are the least attractive East Asians. I'm not saying I agree.

by Anonymousreply 704/19/2013

Self-hate is sad.

by Anonymousreply 804/19/2013

I live in Seoul. Every woman I have met has had the double eyelid surgery. EVERY woman. The number of women who have had plastic surgery is higher than 1 in 5. They are also racist as hell. I was teaching descriptive adjectives and every black person was ugly. It was the same cartoon picture with the same features, except one character was white, one was black. The black character was 'dirty, disgusting, ugly' every single time. Fuck Koreans. In other news, my ex co-teachers goal in life was to save up enough to buy a Louis Vuitton handbag.

tldr: Koreans are superficial as hell.

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2013

[quote]getting your jawbone shaved or chiseled down for a less-square and more V-shaped look.

Are there direct flights from LA to Seoul?

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

[quote]I live in Seoul. Every woman I have met has had the double eyelid surgery. EVERY woman.

And the thing is, they really don't look that much different afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2013

[quote]And the thing is, they really don't look that much different afterwards.[/quote]

You mean, they still look Asian, which was something they wanted to extinguish.

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2013

How is it a good idea to let surgical instruments near your eyes unless it is medically necessary?

I wonder what the malpractice rate is for double eyelid surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2013

Double eyelid surgery takes away their uniqueness. It's a senseless thing to do. But I understand that self-hate is a powerful thing.

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

I wonder what Rumer Willis thinks of this?

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

In many of the after shots, the women are wearing circle lenses which makes them have strange doll eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2013

Do you think that their post surgery look is considered attractive in the West or is this a look that appeals specifically to Koreans?

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2013

Speaking of plastic surgery, anyone take a good look at Secretary of State Odo? Holy shit. Hard to imagine he could be made uglier.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2013

I feel bad for saying this, but the before / after pics of OP's link? I agree they look a lot better, but this is because I'm conditioned to like the Western look. I find it a tragedy, however, that humans feel the need to undergo the knife in order to be okay.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

Unfortunately, I have to agree, R21. I looked over the pictures as objectively as I could and reached the same conclusion. As you said, it's because we're conditioned to the Western look. It's a tragedy because I think this is going to happen more and more around the world.

I thought to myself how sad that you have to be attractive to get a job in Korea. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that we do the same thing here but it's unspoken. Two people who are equal in every way but one more attractive than the other, the more attractive one will most likely get the job. And I think it's a subconscious decision.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

Who do you rather be working with, day in and day out? Someone ugly or someone attractive? We spend more time with our coworkers than we do with our friends and family. For better or worse, these people dominate the majority of our daily lives.

It's politically incorrect to say but we as humans just like attractive people more. Now there are some things that can trump this like being a completely asshole or severely incompetent at your job, but generally the good looking person can coast through a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

But straight men seem to LIKE Asian women - ? I don't get that.

Unless Asian MEN don't like the Asian look in their women.

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

Korean women feel they have to use plastic surgery and goggle-eye contacts to turn themselves into Anime character.

The West has no room to talk, though, it's been telling its women to turn themselves into Barbie dolls for a much longer time.

by Anonymousreply 2504/22/2013

They do look prettier but they still look Asian.

by Anonymousreply 2604/22/2013

Let's get real. White men like Asian women because they assume their pussies are tighter and know when to STFU.

by Anonymousreply 2704/22/2013

Isn't if for that fold in they eyelid thing?

Apparently most people except a few Asians have a fold in their eyebrow. The Asian women born without it are considered freaks.

by Anonymousreply 2804/22/2013

When I was in the closet and still fucking chicks, I hooked up with a couple of Asian girls. They had the tightest pussies, they were crazy tight. I hooked up with a black girl and her pussy was fine, but she wanted it up her butt. White girls preferred blowing you to letting you fuck them. This is just my experience and are not meant to represent entire groups.

by Anonymousreply 2904/22/2013

Four to go then.

by Anonymousreply 3004/22/2013

The majority of East and Central Asians have the epicanthus fold ( along with some Scandinavian, Indigenous American, and South African populations), R28. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.Asian women with it are hardly considered freaks.

by Anonymousreply 3104/22/2013

All I know r31 is that Oprah (sorry but yes Oprah) had some girl on who made a documentary about how horrified her grandmother was at her lack of eye fold and how hard she pressured her to have the surgery. I thought it was a thing a lot of asian girls were pressured to do.

I thought the problem was that they don't have an eye fold?

by Anonymousreply 3204/22/2013

OK, I thought you meant that non Asians saw them as freaks for having the epicanthal fold, R32. Epicanthal fold basically means having a single eyelid. Most Europeans, Africans, Middle Easterners...have double eyelids. Well, as we've learned from this article many Asians (Koreans at least) don't like the epicanthal fold.

We're seeing the result of the increased influence of globalization on beauty standards around the world. Soon we'll all have the same beauty standard, maybe even culture and language. The latter two are probably far off but it wouldn't surprise if it happened. So yes, clearly there are East Asians who disfavor the epicanthal fold, which drives this plastic surgery craze.

by Anonymousreply 3304/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!