Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Our National Priorties

I realize that one of the President's roles is to serve as Cheerleader-in-Chief whenever bad things happen; however, the singular focus that people are putting on the bombings in Boston is a little disconcerting. Consider the following:

- 2 people with unclear motives plant two bombs which kill a total of 3 people and injure 175 others. Media coverage is non-stop and everyone's focus turns toward how to effectively secure 26.1 mile race courses.

- A fertilizer plant--which hasn't undergone a federal safety inspection in 28 years--blows up and kills 5-15 people and injures 180. Media coverage is measured and everyone's focus turns toward the Boston Marathon bombings!

Whenever politicians trot out these lofty visions of who we are as Americans, I can't help but to roll my eyes and begin ignoring anything else they have to say. Innocent employees, emergency responders, and people in their homes are killed due to government negligence; however, it's unlikely that any true workplace safety reforms will materialize since everyone would rather focus on the more sensationalized event.

Disclaimer: I've served in combat and might be a little desensitized when it comes to the threat of terrorism. That said, I don't see why the situation in Texas isn't garnering as much attention as the Boston bombing and prompting the President to be a cheerleader for workplace he is for future marathons.

I don't know. A back-burner story on "All in with Chris Hayes" got me to thinking about this issue...especially since a robust counterterrorism network has kept the US relatively safe over the past few decades. However, modern-day workplace health and safety conditions would provide Upton Sinclair a wealth of material despite all of the technological and labor gains that have been made since the early 1900s.

by Anonymousreply 1004/18/2013

I completely agree, I found the lack of coverage strange. Perhaps, like the Arkansas oil spill recently, our corporate sponsored politicians have been paid to ignore situations that would reveal corporate wrongs.

by Anonymousreply 104/18/2013

I wish I could say that this would spell doom for the fucking worthless politicians in this state.

But it will be forgotten come the next election cycle.

It's east Tx, too.

Can't get any red-er than that area of the state.

by Anonymousreply 204/18/2013

The bombings were clearly a planned murder, but the texas bomb was an accident. I think the search for the culprit is in part keeping the Boston story in the press. It also happened first so the media was harder to distract.

by Anonymousreply 304/18/2013

One could argue that "the texas bomb" was a murder since a fertilizer plant was allowed to operate with unsafe conditions for the past 3 decades. That's my point...future catastrophic accidents are just as scary and potentially devastating as planned attacks by terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 404/18/2013

[quote] - A fertilizer plant--which hasn't undergone a federal safety inspection in 28 years--blows up and kills 5-15 people and injures 180

They wanted smaller government in Texas. They got it

by Anonymousreply 504/18/2013

[quote] One could argue that "the texas bomb" was a murder

Not if you're comparing it to the Boston Marathon bombings.

In Texas there is no mystery as to who/what "did it". We already know, and I agree something's got to be done about the lack of government oversight. But it's perfectly acceptable to me to have a more focused news coverage on Boston. There is a manhunt going on, and the culprits need to be found. In terms of hard news, it's a bigger and more important story.

by Anonymousreply 704/18/2013

[quote]hasn't undergone a federal safety inspection in 28 years

Reagan is the one who started this shit, cutting back on these agencies because he thought corporations could be trusted to police themselves.

by Anonymousreply 804/18/2013

FBI releases video of the bombers

by Anonymousreply 904/18/2013

Death toll in Texas at least 45. I knew they were hiding the real death toll. That's the difference between Yankees and Southerners. Yankees exaggerate their death toll. Southerners always play theirs down.

by Anonymousreply 1004/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!