Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WNBA's #1 pick Brittany Griner comes out as lesbian

She's maybe the most dominant woman's basketball player ever and Mark Cuban said he might draft her into the NBA. Why isn't this as a big deal as if a man came out. A woman athlete coming out seems less shocking or brave.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

Mispelled name. Is Brittney.

by Anonymousreply 104/18/2013

No. Really? She's more masculine than anyone in the NBA.

by Anonymousreply 204/18/2013

Way to break the stereotype, Brit.

by Anonymousreply 304/18/2013

[quote]A woman athlete coming out seems less shocking or brave.

I just assume anyone in the WNBA or ladies' golf is a lesbian. You don't?

by Anonymousreply 404/18/2013

No kidding? Link?

by Anonymousreply 504/18/2013

Oooh, she is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 604/18/2013

"Way to break the stereotype, Brit."

I may not WEAR lipstick but I've done some serious lip sticking.

by Anonymousreply 704/18/2013

OH MY GOD! I NEVER SUSPECTED! (said nobody)

by Anonymousreply 804/18/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 904/18/2013

It is a big deal in terms of role leadership in society... but it is tantamount to a male ice skater or ballet dancer coming out. People - adhering to stereotypes - expect it more.

The shock is when they are straight. Something that does indeed serve to break stereotypes, just like a male gay hockey player would also break stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2013

Because every news story deserves a fantastically shallow DL perspective, I have to say that I think this girl is very sexy and I'm shocked that I seem to be one of the few internet creeps who think so. I don't follow sports - even the WNBA - at all, but I definitely did some sad horndog Google image searches after reading about her coming-out on general-interest gay sites. She's kind of goony-looking in some pictures, in the way that nearly all really tall people are, but I think she's so cute.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

In other news, a male fashion designer comes out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

What the NBA truly wants more than anything, since they own the WNBA, is the first player to come out as straight.

The league has been supported and kept in business strictly by the support of the lesbian season ticket holders. That doesn't lead to many opportunities for marketing to families, males et al. They made a huge deal approximately 6-8 years ago when one of their marquee named stars was somewhat femme, and was MARRIED!!! They promoted the hell out of her, and then BOOM! She dropped her old man and moved in with a lesbian coach. *sigh* For the record, I am not even certain Britt is a lesbian. I'm thinking she may be a trans and not even know it yet.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.